PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mavs likely won't keep Vince Carter

Fresno
05-18-2012, 04:21 AM
WHAT NEXT FOR VINCE CARTER?

Vince Carterís career has taken a turn for the worse, his future so uncertain itís anyoneís guess where heíll end up next season.

With so many moving parts in Dallas, so much that needs to be done with Dirk Nowitzki now in the latter stage of his hall-of-fame career, thereís a better than good chance that Dallas will not exercise its $3.1-million team option on Carter.

If thatís the route the Mavs take, then Carter will be on the open market, available to any suitor, assuming a suitor even exists.

Carter, 35, shot a miserable .293 from the field in the opening round of the playoffs, a sweep at the hands of OKC Thunder, making only three of 10 three-point attempts and attempting a combined eight free throws.
http://www.torontosun.com/2012/05/07/big-decisions-for-the-mavs-in-big-d

Lakers + Giants
05-18-2012, 04:48 AM
What a shocker. Thought they would rebuild around him.

3ballbomber
05-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Vince Carter, do everybody a favor and retire please. Unless you do yourself a favor and play the game alot smarter in this late stage of your career. stop trying to make high light plays and go for high % shots and make plays that matter to the team not yourself. I will miss this guy once he does retire though. One of the last players from the show-time nba era.

Antipod
05-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Time to head to Bahamas.

Becks2307
05-18-2012, 05:00 AM
would not be shocked if he ends up at the heat

AnthonyTyrael
05-18-2012, 06:27 AM
what a shocker. Thought they would rebuild around him.

Lol!

:D

Ebbs
05-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Sucks I'll miss him was great to see him in a Dallas Uni even for one year.

GrumpyOldMan
05-18-2012, 07:39 AM
It's too bad that he has had such a decline. I'm a Raptor fan and will always remember him as the high flying dunker he was when he entered the league. He was a lot of fun to watch back then.

gwrighter
05-18-2012, 07:57 AM
I want the Raptors to extend Vince an offer for the vet's min. It would be nice if he ended his career where he started and it would provide some closure for the organization and more importantly its fans.

LakersIn5
05-18-2012, 08:00 AM
kidd, vc and rj to brooklyn. at first i thought vc to phx but i remembered that he was there a couple of seasons ago. lol

Gram
05-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Good. :shrug:

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-18-2012, 08:33 AM
he will sign with the heat

Havoc Wreaker
05-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Signing him was a mistake in the first place.

D12 fan
05-18-2012, 10:01 AM
I see VC,Kidd going back to Brooklyn.

kdspurman
05-18-2012, 10:06 AM
he will sign with the heat

This

dtmagnet
05-18-2012, 10:17 AM
He said he'd like to go back to the Raptors, not sure the feeling is mutual though.

tyfreaks brotha
05-18-2012, 10:27 AM
I could see him going to either the Raptors or the Lakers but only if they decide to go at it another year

celtNYpatsHeels
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Vince Carter, do everybody a favor and retire please. Unless you do yourself a favor and play the game alot smarter in this late stage of your career. stop trying to make high light plays and go for high % shots and make plays that matter to the team not yourself. I will miss this guy once he does retire though. One of the last players from the show-time nba era.

why would he retire if someone is still willing to pay him millions upon millions

HowBoutDemBulls
05-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Having that POS on their roster was a sure sign that they wouldn't win this year. Vince is a LOSER and no team that he is on can win. He has always been lazy and he has no heart. He needs to retire now.

D12 fan
05-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Monta Beast would love Vince Carter in a Warriors uni.

gatkins11
05-18-2012, 01:04 PM
There were times I thought he was Erick Dampier this year because he's so big now.

jetsfan28
05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Very interesting. Does this mean that, even without Dwight out there, they'll go for two FA's (or Deron and a high salary player in a trade)?

Robbw241
05-18-2012, 03:38 PM
kidd, vc and rj to brooklyn. at first i thought vc to phx but i remembered that he was there a couple of seasons ago. lol

:jumpy: Big Treeeee

greg_ory_2005
05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
Time to come back to Toronto!

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2012, 05:05 PM
He'll probably end up in Miami... I honestly don't know who would want him on their team. When he gave up in Toronto and intentionally tanked his in-game performance to get a trade, I think just about every GM and player in the league lost respect for him as a player. A real competitor can't just turn it off like that. When you are on the floor, you are there to win. Carter is just there for a pay check. He doesn't have the heart of a competitor. If he did, he would be on a par with Kobe Bryant.

5ass
05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
I would say im going to miss him when he retires, but vinsanity retired a long time ago. Still he'll always be one of my favorite players.

NetsPaint
05-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Didn't have a good fg% in the Playoffs, but it's not like they gave him a chance to be in any sort of rhythm. Instead of having him be more involved in the scoring and controlling the ball, they insisted on having Marion shoot more, and he didn't shoot well. Others got shots to in which he should have gotten. It doesn't make sense to not play him to the best of his abilities.

eibbor
05-18-2012, 07:24 PM
why would he retire if someone is still willing to pay him millions upon millions

Maybe because the only way he will get millions upon millions is if he ends up in China

netsgiantsyanks
05-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Monta Beast would love Vince Carter in a Warriors uni.

monta ellis is no longer a warrior.

Alayla
05-18-2012, 09:24 PM

you havent wacthed him at all this year have you?

Sly Guy
05-18-2012, 09:28 PM
this.

Sly Guy
05-18-2012, 09:34 PM

he hasn't shot the ball well this year. He takes too many 3's and has done so since his 3rd season in Toronto when people started calling him 'just a dunker'. He's never been a defender. He no longer has the explosiveness to put fear into the defense when attacking the rim. He doesn't have championship pedigree so he's not even the 'veteran' you want in the locker room. He's only ever been an average rebounder at his position. So tell me, why was it smart that dallas picked him up? Or what has he done to make you think Havoc_Wr3aker hasn't seen him at all this season?

ManRam
05-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Why would they ever let such a terrible basketball player go?!?!

Cracka2HI!
05-18-2012, 09:42 PM
I don't think he had a bad season. I'd take on the Clippers for the $2.5 million exception unless we can get someone better for it.

LTBaByyy
05-18-2012, 09:54 PM
Calderon
Derozan
Vince Carter
Bargs
Valuncinas

Will be the Raptors starters next year. That would be the only way Carter goes out with a nice ending

THE MTL
05-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Mavs likely wont be keeping any of their expiring free agents. They going after big time free agents.

Fresno
05-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Everytime there is a Vince Carter topic, you get the mad Raptors fans.

Jeez. Let it go.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-18-2012, 11:10 PM
I could see him going to either the Raptors or the Lakers but only if they decide to go at it another year

no

mdm692
05-18-2012, 11:20 PM

lol no thanks. You know you have to retire of you play next to steve nash and even he cant rejuvenate your career lol.

StinkEye
05-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Wince Carter.

I hate that *****. I don't know why his fat *** hasn't retired yet. I swear he hasn't enjoyed basketball since his 2nd last year in Toronto.

boolish
05-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Wow stop the presses! make sure this gets in the early edition!

Cal827
05-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Everytime there is a Vince Carter topic, you get the mad Raptors fans.

Jeez. Let it go.

:laugh: I only see one raptor fan saying anything bad, and to be fair, he did admit to giving up on the team.

As for him returning here, I wouldn't offer anything more than the vet min. I have forgiven him for what he did, but many Raptor fans haven't, so it might be a good ending to his career to return. I would guarantee that he would have his number retired if he did as he did help put Basketball in Canada on the map.

Honestly, from a career point of view, he should go join a team like the Lakers, where an athletic swingman would be valuable. The two issues I have with the Miami signing would be that they already have Miller/Battier backing up the SG/SF positions. Secondly, They are already in possession of the two most athletic players at SF and SG in Lebron/Wade.

Havoc Wreaker
05-19-2012, 12:26 AM

I will be honest, no. I don't like the NBA that much. But I am pretty sure he sucked dick. Numbers don't like and he averaged career lows in PPG and RPG

DoMeFavors
05-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Guy has no desire to win just get a pay check, thats why instead of working out over the summer like Kobe did he had no drive to be the best. He only tries a few games a year against Raptors,Nets, and maybe Orlando.

StinkEye
05-19-2012, 10:25 AM
:laugh: I only see one raptor fan saying anything bad, and to be fair, he did admit to giving up on the team.

As for him returning here, I wouldn't offer anything more than the vet min. I have forgiven him for what he did, but many Raptor fans haven't, so it might be a good ending to his career to return. I would guarantee that he would have his number retired if he did as he did help put Basketball in Canada on the map.

Honestly, from a career point of view, he should go join a team like the Lakers, where an athletic swingman would be valuable. The two issues I have with the Miami signing would be that they already have Miller/Battier backing up the SG/SF positions. Secondly, They are already in possession of the two most athletic players at SF and SG in Lebron/Wade.

VC is about as athletic as CC Sabathia

Gram
05-19-2012, 10:30 AM
VC is about as athletic as CC Sabathia

:laugh2:

Ezio
05-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Great another summer of JB making T-Mac/VC threads.

JordansBulls
05-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Great another summer of JB making T-Mac/VC threads.

Well Watson/Korver and Brewer will make 13 million combined. We could probably get Vince and Tmac for 2 million combined.

llemon
05-19-2012, 02:42 PM
Well Watson/Korver and Brewer will make 13 million combined. We could probably get Vince and Tmac for 2 million combined.

You guys should jump on that.

BlondeBomber41
05-19-2012, 05:28 PM
You guys ripping on him didn't watch him this year. He didn't take awful shots, he played as good of defense as you could expect from him, he was a good team player, he didn't complain if he played 30+ minutes one game and then 10 minutes combined in the next two.... he was 100% professional.

If the decision was made to bring him back and use him like we use to use Jerry Stackhouse off the bench, I would be more than fine with that. If not, best of luck to you Vince.

llemon
05-19-2012, 05:29 PM
You guys ripping on him didn't watch him this year. He didn't take awful shots, he played as good of defense as you could expect from him, he was a good team player, he didn't complain if he played 30+ minutes one game and then 10 minutes combined in the next two.... he was 100% professional.

If the decision was made to bring him back and use him like we use to use Jerry Stackhouse off the bench, I would be more than fine with that. If not, best of luck to you Vince.

Shot 29% in the playoffs.

xxplayerxx23
05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
If he actually cared I think he can still put in 15 on 45 percent shooting and decent 3 point shooter, But I dont think he cares anymore

BlondeBomber41
05-19-2012, 06:14 PM
Shot 29% in the playoffs.

1. Doesn't mean he was taking bad shots. He wasn't, he just wasn't making them.

2. The entire Mavericks team underachieved in the playoffs this year, nobody played up to what they are expected to do.

dodie53
05-19-2012, 06:28 PM
a contender will likely give him a chance

llemon
05-19-2012, 06:42 PM
1. Doesn't mean he was taking bad shots. He wasn't, he just wasn't making them.

2. The entire Mavericks team underachieved in the playoffs this year, nobody played up to what they are expected to do.

So he was taking good shots and missing them.

I can see where that makes him much more valuable a player.

BlondeBomber41
05-19-2012, 06:56 PM
So he was taking good shots and missing them.

I can see where that makes him much more valuable a player.

Yeah, every player goes through cold streaks. The whole point of my original post, which you obviously didn't understand at all, was that he wasn't the selfish player everyone was making him out to be. He played very sporadically in the playoffs and was never in any sort of a rhythm.

He was a positive influence in the locker room and played hard when he did play. That's why it's not a for sure thing the Mavs will let him go. If he played bad in the playoffs AND was a bad guy, he would be long gone. The Mavs players and coaches all really liked him, which makes it a tougher decision.

llemon
05-19-2012, 07:20 PM
Yeah, every player goes through cold streaks. The whole point of my original post, which you obviously didn't understand at all, was that he wasn't the selfish player everyone was making him out to be. He played very sporadically in the playoffs and was never in any sort of a rhythm.

He was a positive influence in the locker room and played hard when he did play. That's why it's not a for sure thing the Mavs will let him go. If he played bad in the playoffs AND was a bad guy, he would be long gone. The Mavs players and coaches all really liked him, which makes it a tougher decision.

Oh, Vince is well-liked, by his teammates and his opponents.

Those cold streaks get colder and colder, especially in the playoffs.

Check out Vince's playoff performances.

Most were truly atrocious.

BlondeBomber41
05-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Oh, Vince is well-liked, by his teammates and his opponents.

Those cold streaks get colder and colder, especially in the playoffs.

Check out Vince's playoff performances.

Most were truly atrocious.

Yeah, I get it. He didn't play well in the playoffs. Why you keep saying that is beyond me seeing that I never denied it.

What are you not getting about my point? Everyone in this thread was talking about Vince like he was a bad guy or a negative influence on the Mavericks roster. He isn't. He didn't have a great playoff series but 4 games doesn't make a player or a person.

llemon
05-19-2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I get it. He didn't play well in the playoffs. Why you keep saying that is beyond me seeing that I never denied it.

What are you not getting about my point? Everyone in this thread was talking about Vince like he was a bad guy or a negative influence on the Mavericks roster. He isn't. He didn't have a great playoff series but 4 games doesn't make a player or a person.

Okay, let me put my cards on the table.

Vince is a heartless, gutless POS by NBA standards.

Smiles after loses, gets along with everyone, talks a great game.

Why wouldn't his opponents love him? I can tell you that Jason Kidd, the NBA diplomat, has nothing but good things to say about Vince, but Jason Kidd, the NBA player, the guy who leaves his heart out on the court 90% of the time, thinks (knows) that Vince is a heartless, gutless waste of courtspace.

Again, check out his career playoff performances. He usually rolls up into the fetal position while his teammates continue to engage in the activity of playing crunchtime playoff basketball.

Well, I guess you got me to express my true feelings about Vince. I haven't done a Vince rant for probably over a year.

But as he is probably done, I may not have to go on another Vince rant until you defend his LLE play at the end of next season.

BlondeBomber41
05-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Okay, let me put my cards on the table.

Vince is a heartless, gutless POS by NBA standards.

Smiles after loses, gets along with everyone, talks a great game.

Why wouldn't his opponents love him? I can tell you that Jason Kidd, the NBA diplomat, has nothing but good things to say about Vince, but Jason Kidd, the NBA player, the guy who leaves his heart out on the court 90% of the time, thinks (knows) that Vince is a heartless, gutless waste of courtspace.

Again, check out his career playoff performances. He usually rolls up into the fetal position while his teammates continue to engage in the activity of playing crunchtime playoff basketball.

Well, I guess you got me to express my true feelings about Vince. I haven't done a Vince rant for probably over a year.

But as he is probably done, I may not have to go on another Vince rant until you defend his LLE play at the end of next season.

Oh, so you're just a Vince hater. Got it.

That being said, if Jason Kidd had any problems playing with Vince Carter I seriously doubt the Mavericks would of signed him last offseason. I have zero doubt the Mavs front office went to Jason Kidd with his opinion on what it's like to team with Vince Carter and if he felt the way you claim he feels, Vince wouldn't of ever been a Maverick. So you're opinion means absolutely nothing.

As far as his playoff numbers go, his PPG, RPG, APG all rise from what he has done in the regular season. So you're pretty much just talking out of your ***. His FG% drops, but that is not uncommon.

ManRam
05-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Vince was better this year than he was in Orlando (that's not saying anything though).

He cut back on the three pointers (actually didn't shoot it too poorly at all from 3), but he's still incredibly inefficient. Even if he was taking better shots, all that led to was his worst TS% in forever. So, he's getting "better" looks, yet shooting the ball considerably worse than ever? Well, that's nothing to boast about.

He was bad this season, period. He's not worth anything besides maybe half the MLE. I wouldn't want my team to spend more than the minimum on him...

As for Vince not having a negative influence on the team...well, you're actually right. Even despite his incredibly average play, the team was better with him on the court than off. I don't know how much I can buy into that though. And unless he's in a really good situation, kinda like he was this year, he's not gonna help out much.

llemon
05-20-2012, 02:29 AM
Oh, so you're just a Vince hater. Got it.

That being said, if Jason Kidd had any problems playing with Vince Carter I seriously doubt the Mavericks would of signed him last offseason. I have zero doubt the Mavs front office went to Jason Kidd with his opinion on what it's like to team with Vince Carter and if he felt the way you claim he feels, Vince wouldn't of ever been a Maverick. So you're opinion means absolutely nothing.

As far as his playoff numbers go, his PPG, RPG, APG all rise from what he has done in the regular season. So you're pretty much just talking out of your ***. His FG% drops, but that is not uncommon.

Please, try to understand, he shot 29% in the playoffs for the defending NBA Champions, who were conVINCingly swept.

Oh, and sorry I forgot to mention that Kidd held Vince responsible for Nets losing to the Cavs in the '07 playoffs, and then Kidd demanded to be traded after Vince got re-signed that offseason.

And yes, Jason Kidd was the guy Cuban would consult before signing Vince. Get a grip, sonny.

BiLINgual
05-20-2012, 12:40 PM
he will sign with the knicks..

llemon
05-20-2012, 01:00 PM
he will sign with the knicks..

That would be tremendous.

torocan
05-20-2012, 01:08 PM
29% against OKC. That's not anything to hold against him.

OKC is a beast this year and Dallas traded away the future DPOY for inferior paint defense. This year's Dallas was NOT last year's Dallas any more than this year's OKC is the same as last year's OKC.

VC isn't Vinsanity anymore, but he's a solid addition to most benches.