PDA

View Full Version : If spurs win, should Duncan retire inmediately?

Hellcrooner
05-18-2012, 03:06 AM
Last image from his career? Him raising the 5th larry O brian.

Is there a better way?

Kareem messed it up staying one year too long.
Jordan Messed it up coming back.
Dr J messed it up staying more time.
Shaq messed itup staying WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to long after the perfect timing.
Kidd messed it up last season.
All is pointing at kobe messing it up .

and etc etc.

Can we for once have the perfect ending to a great career?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-18-2012, 03:07 AM
no

D1JM
05-18-2012, 03:09 AM
he should do whatever he wants to do. this team can make a run in 2012-13 so why not come back :shrug: coming back wont taint his career. top 10 player for sure in my book

210Don
05-18-2012, 03:16 AM
nah, timmy will prolly stay at this level till he retires, i cant see him getting worse.
so as long as hes still producing somewhat i say ride it till the wheels fall off, as duncan has already said hes gonna do.

Cal827
05-18-2012, 03:20 AM
Yup. After he wins again, he should leave out on top.

Watch out, in order to protect the NBA, Stern will soon pass a new rule, forcing players over 34 to retire the minute the win the NBA title for basketball reasons.

Bruno
05-18-2012, 03:33 AM
he still has plenty left in the tank, but it is nice to go out on top. a big part of legacy is storyline, especially in the media.

TRF929
05-18-2012, 03:39 AM
No, its always nice going out with a ring, Robinson did, but he still has a couple years to still do it. Whos to say he won't in 2-3 years

Becks2307
05-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Not to mention Leonard is gonna get better and I bet they AGAIN draft some stud

DodgerBulls
05-18-2012, 04:13 AM
Ever thought about maybe some players who retired right after winning one made a mistake as well for not playing? We have no idea if someone messed up whether they retire or not. For a story book, it looks bad. If a player thinks he has fuel to go for more, but retired... that might haunt him for the rest of his life.

PhillyFaninLA
05-18-2012, 04:20 AM
If Duncans wants to be remembered for going out a champ then yes, if he wants to keep playing then no.

LakersIn5
05-18-2012, 04:29 AM
No, its always nice going out with a ring, Robinson did, but he still has a couple years to still do it. Whos to say he won't in 2-3 years

the guys 2 years ago saying that the spurs only have a 1 year window left to win a ship. and majority of psd said that.

TRF929
05-18-2012, 04:49 AM
the guys 2 years ago saying that the spurs only have a 1 year window left to win a ship. and majority of psd said that.

Thats why I don't listen to media, watch him play and make your own judgement. Injuries aside, Duncan can ball; plus 2 yrs ago is when the start of his minutes started going down so it looked like his stats were declining by a greater margin than actuality. It also helps on how the team is building around him and transition in game play, he's got an easy 2+ more years, injuries aside.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-18-2012, 09:49 AM
I'd say there is a pretty good chance this wont be his last chance at a ring

kdspurman
05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
Not to mention Leonard is gonna get better and I bet they AGAIN draft some stud

Already got another big man who may come over next year. Was part of the George Hill deal that no one really talks about. He sure as hell won't be Tim Duncan but finding skilled big men is not easy to do, and that's what this guy is. Basically like Splitter, but he can shoot and possibly better footwork in the post.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Erazem-Lorbek-30/

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/01/31/barcelona-maccabi-tel-aviv/

Hellcrooner
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Already got another big man who may come over next year. Was part of the George Hill deal that no one really talks about. He sure as hell won't be Tim Duncan but finding skilled big men is not easy to do, and that's what this guy is. Basically like Splitter, but he can shoot and possibly better footwork in the post.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Erazem-Lorbek-30/

http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2012/01/31/barcelona-maccabi-tel-aviv/

Lorbek is not as good as Splitter.

AIRMAR72
05-18-2012, 10:41 AM
I would

kdspurman
05-18-2012, 10:54 AM
Lorbek is not as good as Splitter.

Didn't remember saying he was? Where'd I say that? :shrug:

Splitter is certainly the better player, and is automatic usually finishing around the basket, and a really good passer.

I simply said he was LIKE Splitter, but he can shoot better, and possibly better footwork in the post.

*Silver&Black*
05-18-2012, 11:19 AM
No, he could have a chance to win for the next 2-3 years.

sep11ie
05-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Croon, sometimes I wanna print your threads, put a C+ on them in red ink, and hang the on my fridge, cause I'm just so darn proud of you for trying.

ugafan
05-18-2012, 11:47 AM
Croon, sometimes I wanna print your threads, put a C+ on them in red ink, and hang the on my fridge, cause I'm just so darn proud of you for trying.

:laugh2:

JayW_1023
05-18-2012, 12:36 PM
As long as there is a title window he won't lace 'em up. He has more impact today than Robinson had in 2003.

Stinkyoutsider
05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
The Spurs are good enough and have a great coach, so I think they could contend next year too. Why go out on 5 when you have the chance to go out on 6 and Duncan still play at the level he played at this year? If I was Tim, even if the Spurs don't win it this year, I would come back next year.

I think David Robinson walked away from the Spurs too early? The guy has always been in top shape and still looked like he could be the 2nd option on the team behind Duncan. He was good at the defensive end and could still pop the 15 foot jumper...

jetsfan28
05-18-2012, 01:09 PM
With Splitter, Leonard, and Parker? If he still loves the game and wants to play it, he can play another few years (he could pretty much play as long as he wants, but I doubt he wants to ever be a 15-20 minute per game guy) , and that core is good enough to make a few more runs.

Chronz
05-18-2012, 01:53 PM
None of the players "messed up", they all added to their legacy by continuing to play. Anytime your good enough to be in the NBA it means your better than 99% of the world at the sport.

What is set in stone cannot be rewritten, NOTHING you do in your post prime days can detract from what you have already accomplished. Frankly, people who want story book endings arent true fans of the game. I cherished every year Shaq was still in the league. You dont think it was awesome seeing him make the All-Star team again, and the way he played in Boston was special, had he stayed healthy they would have won the title (IMO). The Big5 lineup was tops in the league.

TRF929
05-18-2012, 01:55 PM
The Spurs are good enough and have a great coach, so I think they could contend next year too. Why go out on 5 when you have the chance to go out on 6 and Duncan still play at the level he played at this year? If I was Tim, even if the Spurs don't win it this year, I would come back next year.

I think David Robinson walked away from the Spurs too early? The guy has always been in top shape and still looked like he could be the 2nd option on the team behind Duncan. He was good at the defensive end and could still pop the 15 foot jumper...

Robinson walked because he was having back problems, he could certainly play longer but his back was declining. He thought of his family and wanted to play with his kids before a big injury to his back. Can't blame him for that, plus he was 37 when he retired. He looks like he could play now when I see him on the sideline and I wish he was

BobbyHillSwag
05-18-2012, 01:57 PM
Hell no i dont want to see duncan retire anytime soon, it's gonna suck when he does and i'll prob cry. Dude is the best player of this generation, I just can't fathom him leaving the league. I already had to deal with iverson.

JasonJohnHorn
05-18-2012, 04:53 PM
It would be nice to retire a champion, but I think players like Dr. J and Kidd had the right frame of mind. When you win a title, you want to defend it. In Kidd's case, Cuban just didn't want the team to win it this year, in hopes of a brighter future, but Dr. J did the right thing by staying. I'm surprised that 76ers team didn't win more titles. I mean think about it. They had: Moses Malone. Charles Barkley. Dr. J. Why would you not want to play with that squad? Plus they still had Cheeks, Bobby Jones, who was a quality vet. A young Sedale Threatt (who was a quality PG and a solid back up for Cheeks). And Andrew Toney who was a quality guy at the time, he'd averaged 20 points, and then 17 for the 6ers after the title. They had a great mix of vets and young guys... I would have stayed on if I was Dr. J. And they did make it to the conference finals in 85.

That said, it worked well for David Robinson to retire on top, but he was statistically not the same as he was, and he was leaving the franchise in good shape as Duncan was in his prime. For Duncan it would be a little different. There isn't another big man for him to pass the torch onto. I think he would want to stay and defend his title.

Just in case though, I was sure to get a ticket to watch Duncan when he came to Detroit this season because I was thinking it might be he last year, and my last chance to see him play in person.

I hope he does win it, and I hope he stays on to successfully defend the title. That would be a nice way to end his career.

greg_ory_2005
05-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Real talk.