PDA

View Full Version : Scott Brooks: Last Night, KD was guarding The Best Player In Basketball

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-17-2012, 07:10 PM
http://lakers.ocregister.com/2012/05/17/kevin-durant-assigned-to-kobe-in-key-minutes/72652/

Kevin Durant Assigned To Kobe In Key Minutes

Much discussion was made of Kobe Bryant being freed of the burden of guarding Russell Westbrook in Game 2 — and Bryant did come up with four steals, his most in nearly 2 1/2 months, even though he failed to deliver on offense.

Meanwhile, Kevin Durant was given the task of guarding Bryant in the final minutes after Bryant hit a couple of wondrous elbow jumpers over James Harden.

“It wasn’t the gameplan going into it, but there was a point in the game when I thought Kobe was really starting to feel it,” Thunder coach Scott Brooks said. “And I thought Kevin’s length could bother him.”
Bryant fizzled down the stretch, with Durant flat-out taking the ball from him in a big-time key play. Then Durant hit the go-ahead shot also in the Thunder’s victory — even though he looked more tired than Metta World Peace just moments before crunchtime.

“He is guarding the best player in basketball,” Brooks said. “That guy (Bryant), he does amazing things, night in, night out, year in, year out.”

Bryant credited the defensive gambles by Durant and the Thunder late in the game. Thabo Sefolosha, who usually shadows Bryant, took over for the final plays Wednesday night, including Bryant dribbling away too much clock before Sefolosha burned Oklahoma City’s foul to give with 5.7 seconds left.
Durant said he was just doing what his coach wanted.

“Late in the fourth, it was just time,” Durant said about guarding Bryant. “Coach told me to switch out on him, and I just tried to use my length a little bit and play hard. He makes those tough shots, and he missed some (in Game 2). But he is so good in the fourth that no matter who is guarding him, he is going to try and take a shot. It’s all about playing hard.”

Chronz
05-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Pierce did the same thing in their first Finals. He did it against a better Kobe too.

bholly
05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't understand what you're trying to tell us. We saw the game, we know who guarded who. Are you really trying to use this as evidence that Kobe's the best in the game? Is that what this thread is?

D12 fan
05-17-2012, 07:47 PM
What is this thread suppose to mean?

Kobe is not the best player in basketball,Lebron/Durant/Wade are better players than Kobe right now.

b@llhog24
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM
Durant wasn't guarding Lebron. :confused:

John Walls Era
05-17-2012, 08:01 PM
I thought Thabo did an excellent job on Kobe yesterday.

creamed corn
05-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Typical Lakers fan. Anything that will put down LeBron or put Kobe in good light will be posted, no matter how hypocritical or how much of a double standard is in place.

KnicksorBust
05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Sometimes I watch Kobe and it just feels like he'd take these fadeaways with anyone guarding him at this point. What little he cared about his own shot selection back in the early 2000s was obliterated when he had to play with that Smush-Walton-Odom-Kwame team.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-17-2012, 08:51 PM
I basically made this thread to indicate that John Amaechi should make a comeback to the NBA.

The Final Boss
05-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Pierce did the same thing in their first Finals. He did it against a better Kobe too.

With no inside threat after Gasol was double teamed the entire series? We all saw what happened with a healthy Lakers squad.

The Final Boss
05-17-2012, 09:08 PM
What is this thread suppose to mean?

Kobe is not the best player in basketball,Lebron/Durant/Wade are better players than Kobe right now.

lol

SpaceJamJordans
05-17-2012, 09:14 PM
Didn't you make a rant thread about Kobe choking?!

Cal827
05-17-2012, 09:16 PM
I basically made this thread to indicate that John Amaechi should make a comeback to the NBA.

:laugh:

5ass
05-17-2012, 09:17 PM
I find this disrespectful to KD

thephoenixson28
05-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Mike James doesn't play for the lakers.

Hawkeye15
05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
Durant was guarding LeBron?

bluefire7002
05-17-2012, 09:40 PM

Maybe he meant the playoffs??? where LeBron.. you know.. disappears?

ManRam
05-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Haha.

Good joke, Scotty :laugh: We all know at this point that isn't true. Hasn't been true for a while, and this year he's been further from being the best as he's been in a decade +.

Durant's defense last night was amazing though. First time I've really ever sat there and said consistently "damn, he's defending the **** out of the guy he's guarding". Best defensive effort I've ever seen from him.

ManRam
05-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Maybe he meant the playoffs??? where LeBron.. you know.. disappears?

Disappeared a lot less than Kobe has the past few season :shrug:

Scotty was using what we like to call "hyperbole". It's fun and all...but there's no way he meant it. If he does, well, yikes.

Chronz
05-17-2012, 09:44 PM
with no inside threat after gasol was double teamed the entire series? We all saw what happened with a healthy lakers squad.
6-24 against an older Boston?

JordansBulls
05-17-2012, 09:45 PM

No he guarded Dirk for some portions the best player last season.:)

bluefire7002
05-17-2012, 09:50 PM
Disappeared a lot less than Kobe has the past few season :shrug:

Scotty was using what we like to call "hyperbole". It's fun and all...but there's no way he meant it. If he does, well, yikes.

haha... did you just not watch the 2nd half of the heat game right now? reminded me a lot of last years finals with Lebron.. and the year before that with cleveland... people dont get it, hes never going to change.

As for the Scotty comment. That is possible, a lot of coaches, ex players/hall of famers use "hyperbole's" than :cool: