PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden wants to play for the Miami Heat

Wade_County
05-17-2012, 01:17 PM
.... .Posts .By Eric Freeman | Ball Don't Lie – 17 hours ago
Chris Bosh and Greg Oden attend the "Karate Kid" premiere, because duh (Gregg DeGuire/ FilmMagic).
It's not particularly controversial these days to say that Greg Oden's basketball career is in a state of flux, in the sense that no one would be surprised if he never plays again. He has a lot to prove, first and foremost that he can stay healthy. And it's likely that, if any team signs him to a contract this summer, he won't be in their plans as a main part of the rotation. Oden will have to show that he can be a part of those plans.

Oden, for his part, seems to understand his peculiar situation. However, that doesn't mean he's not aiming high. In fact, his agent says he wants to play for the Miami Heat. From Barry Jackson for the Miami Herald (via PBT):
There's a 24-year-old free agent center who's affordable, has impressive career rebounding averages and has interest in playing for the Heat eventually once he recovers from his latest knee surgery, according to his agent. The only problem? It's a very big one: He's not healthy and can't seem to stay healthy.

Greg Oden, 7-0, hasn't played since 2009-10 and is recovering from his fifth knee surgery in five seasons. A Grantland.com story said that "right now" Oden's plan is to take next season off to rehab, then come back in 2013-14. But his agent, Mike Conley Sr., told us Oden is positioned be ready to play in December or January "as far as being effective and in shape" and will explore options in the coming months, with the possibility of joining a team next season. But nobody obviously can know for sure when he will be ready.

The Heat hasn't called but "Greg has talked about Miami," Conley said. "He has interest. He's not retiring." Oden, the No. 1 pick in the 2007 draft, has played just 82 career games for Portland (which released him in March) and averaged 9.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks.

Whether the Heat takes a flyer on Oden or not — and Miami has nothing to lose, really, if or when they ever deem him healthy - the bigger question is this: With limited financial resources, can Pat Riley significantly upgrade at center during the Big Three era?

If Oden can stay healthy, the Heat would be a great fit: They could use a solid defensive center, and wouldn't be asked to do much more than rebound, protect the rim, and catch passes for dunks and lay-ins. Whether or not he's ready to play is another question, and an agent's estimate of his recovery time is obviously going to be more positive than other takes. But it wouldn't be the worst move for Miami.

[Related: Epic NFL draft bust gives advice to incoming rookies on how to succeed]

What's more notable is that Oden is trying to go to one of the league's best teams rather than broadcasting how much he just wants to have a job. It's typically bad to look too desperate in these situations, but middling free agents also need to know their situations. If Oden isn't willing to settle for anything but the best, he might be met with disappointment in free agency.

That process is a ways off, of course, and for all we know there will be legitimate interest from teams with confidence in their training staffs. For now, though, image matters, and Oden would be well-served by displaying his willingness to adapt to circumstances.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/greg-oden-wants-play-miami-heat-231737628.html

Heatcheck
05-17-2012, 01:19 PM
for the right price, id put some work in with him, he wont be any more a waste of time than eddy curry

Evolution23
05-17-2012, 01:20 PM
It's over. Next year the Heat will be getting Oden, Nash, Prime Jordan, Prime Iverson, and Kobe.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-17-2012, 01:22 PM
oden is just dying to have that 6th knee surgery

RiLoc
05-17-2012, 01:23 PM
If I was Greg Oden, I would want to play for the Heat too. Heat have limited options for acquiring centers and Heat desperately need one.

Chronz
05-17-2012, 01:26 PM
He should sit out all of next year too. Then come to the Heat in 2014

MTL_123
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
if he can stay healthy BIG IF then its a really good singing

Burkey3472
05-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I just hope he can eventually play again.

nycericanguy
05-17-2012, 01:29 PM
Oden
Bosh
LBJ
Wade
Nash

lol

jrm2054
05-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Huge waste of the number 1 pick I hope he can get healthy and have a decent career

justinnum1
05-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Sure, for the min he can come here

nash or billups
wade
bron
bosh
oden

doesnt sound to bad:laugh:

meloman1592
05-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Everyone wants to go to the Heat...what's new

sammid21
05-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Stern should just give Lebron a title since he needs a lot of help winning one.
Oden
Bosh
James
Wade
Nash (heat fans and James trying to recruit him)

drew_ellis_23
05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
It's over. Next year the Heat will be getting Oden, Nash, Prime Jordan, Prime Iverson, and Kobe.

Hope so, they will need to do something after Indiana knocks them out this round.

Swashcuff
05-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Or better yet the 76ers

LAKobeBryant
05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
he just wants a ring without playing 1 single game lmao

meloman1592
05-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Oden
Bosh
James
Wade

This....05 Tmac, vince, AI, shaq, and Duncan will also be coming back from the time machine to sign with them for the vet minimum.

jimbobjarree
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
he must have heard good things about the hospitals in Miami

lakerboy
05-17-2012, 01:47 PM
if he can stay healthy big if then its a really good singing

whoa really sherlock

Swashcuff
05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
This....05 Tmac, vince, AI, shaq, and Duncan will also be coming back from the time machine to sign with them for the vet minimum.

:pray: :pray: :pray:

Trueblue2
05-17-2012, 01:55 PM

It's the only way it would be fair for lebron

Baller1
05-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Agreed.

uprightciti
05-17-2012, 01:59 PM
thats funny so he can sit on the bench next to eddy curry and turiaf

AKAYaReal
05-17-2012, 02:04 PM
At least Lebron will be reunited with his long lost brother.

Super.
05-17-2012, 02:06 PM
If Nash and Oden (and stays healthy) go to Miami and they still can't win, what does that say?

kozelkid
05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
If he was smart, he'd go to Phoenix.

rapsjaysfan88
05-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Stern should just give the heat unlimited cap space and the ability to call their own fouls, maybe then they might win a chip.

D.O.N.
05-17-2012, 02:16 PM
At least Lebron will be reunited with his long lost brother.

I just realized how similar they look... LOL

Stinkyoutsider
05-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Really, he's not retiring? I mean, the guy has had 5 knee surgeries in 5 years. Man, I just can't see this guy coming back and being healthy for too long?

I don't think he's ever been in top shape so maybe if he can take the year off to rehab, get his body in peak condition, and keep his weight down to keep the pressure off of the knees, then maybe he'll make a comeback. Mentally, it's going to be real tough though? It's going to be hard for him to play knowing that surgery number 6 could be right around the corner.

Swashcuff
05-17-2012, 02:18 PM
If Nash and Oden (and stays healthy) go to Miami and they still can't win, what does that say?

That they lost?

kdspurman
05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Geez laweez.. At what point does Miami stick with what they have and try and build and develop their players and chemistry? Signing big names is not the solution.

Swashcuff
05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Geez laweez.. At what point does Miami stick with what they have and try and build and develop their players and chemistry? Signing big names is not the solution.

his agent says he wants to play for the Miami Heat

The Heat hasn't called but "Greg has talked about Miami," Conley said. "He has interest.

Its Greg Oden who wants to play for the Heat not the Heat wanting Greg Oden (at least just not yet) and not the other way around.

BobbyHillSwag
05-17-2012, 02:36 PM
:pray: :pray: :pray:

05 AI is a top 3 player in the league today, I wish he would comeback too

khaleesi
05-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Oden
Bosh
James
Wade

REFs are trying real hard but with LeBron running the other direction on the game tying 3 it is difficult and letting Chalmers take the bullet. No doubt they would have called a foul and 3 FT .... even if he would have missed 1 of them.

What did he have the other night -- ZERO fouls?

KnicksorBust
05-17-2012, 02:38 PM
At this point I don't have much of a reaction. Grant Hill gives me hope for these guys but Oden just seems destined to never get a real chance...

NoahH
05-17-2012, 02:45 PM
Imagine if he hit his potential with Miami :O

Tanakid777
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
It's the only way it would be fair for lebron

Your sig :laugh:

Becks2307
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Damn lol how much help do the heat need?

bigsams50
05-17-2012, 03:01 PM
If healthy, he would make the HEAT unstoppable imo

meloman1592
05-17-2012, 03:05 PM
guess lebron needs as much help as possible

kdspurman
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Its Greg Oden who wants to play for the Heat not the Heat wanting Greg Oden (at least just not yet) and not the other way around.

Your right, my bad jumped the gun a little there.. But I do think this summer (especially if they don't win it all) they will definitely consider that, and try and get him there. I mean the guy could be very serviceable so I don't blame them, but every off season if you keep bringing in new people and don't develop trust, chemistry, and continuity of the team, you're not really following a recipe for success.

faze38
05-17-2012, 03:19 PM

Def should best doctors in the NBA. If he wants a career the Suns are the only place for him to go.

Davidgta1
05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
He shouldn't go there James would throw him a alleyoop an BOOM another knee injury....but for real. I hope it works out the guy has been cursed or something I feel bad for him an Brandon Roy.

Kutchie03
05-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Everyone wants to go to the Heat...what's new

Miami is the LA Angels of the NBA, it's where veteran players go to die. No veteran (I'm not including LeBron or Bosh) has came to the HEAT over the past 2 years and performed

faze38
05-17-2012, 03:34 PM

Def should best doctors in the NBA. If he wants a career the Suns are the only place for him to go.

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2012, 03:35 PM
I think Oden's best suited team would be the Suns, because their trainers know how to work with injuries. Look at how well Nash and Hill have done there, and Shaq Uncut, Shaq acreditted their guys with adding a couple of seasons to his career and if I remember right, said he even took one of the trainers along with him to Cleveland and Boston.

But if Oden is just going to sign for the vet. min., it makes sense to at least sign with a contender... I'd rather make 1.5 million on a good team in a nice city where I might get a ring, then ride the pine on a lottery team in a place like Min. or Mil. (no offense to those cities... but they just aren't as nice as Miami and the taxes are higher).

I'd prefer to see him end up in Boston or Indy... because I'm a Heat Hater and would not want to see them with a healthy Oden (because that just wouldn't be fair to the rest of the league), but more than that I would just like to see Oden get healthy and reach his full potential, even if it means Miami winning a title.

Seriously though, could you imagine the Heat's center rotation? Joel Anthony, and Eddy Curry and Greg Oden, and Juan Howard subbing in for a spell here and there... that's some serious depth... might want to get Walton Sr., Yao Ming, and Ralph Sampson to come out of retirement and fill out the roster. They should just fill out their roster with injured centers and made Wade Bosh and James play 48 minutes a game.

GiantsSwaGG
05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Can he even walk?

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2012, 03:41 PM
This.

MonroeFAN
05-17-2012, 03:47 PM
if he can stay healthy BIG IF then its a really good singing

If he can stay healthy, it's an AMAZING signing. He was a top 5 center statistically when he played. A lot of ifs for a player who has barely played though.

But I doubt he plays 10 NBA games for the rest of his career.

BigBlueCrew
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
this thread always reminds me of this video

Things Miami fans say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj3S3G3SiTg#t=24s)

NYY 26 to 7
05-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Is Oden relevant at all. The guy is a walking injury - he wasn't even healthy his 1 year in college. It's a shame but I would doubt that he is ever an effective player. That said the heat should take a chance because it's worth a chance for the vet min. At least he can sit on the bench and continue to show his big man versatility. Remember the Durant Oden debate... Yeaaa can't say I saw this coming but no one should have expected him to be better than KD.

MTL_123
05-17-2012, 04:11 PM
this thread always reminds me of this video

Things Miami fans say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj3S3G3SiTg#t=24s)

wow wat a shocker your trolling about miami thats new:eyebrow:

Vinylman
05-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Your right, my bad jumped the gun a little there.. But I do think this summer (especially if they don't win it all) they will definitely consider that, and try and get him there. I mean the guy could be very serviceable so I don't blame them, but every off season if you keep bringing in new people and don't develop trust, chemistry, and continuity of the team, you're not really following a recipe for success.

Miami is pretty much the same as last year with the excpetion of adding battier and losing House...

there problem is they don't have time to develop people because the reserve rotations are pretty much set between battier/miller/Coles...

where would they get the minutes?

khaleesi
05-17-2012, 05:02 PM
wow wat a shocker your trolling about miami thats new:eyebrow:

Accurate but insulting.

LeBron needs Magic, Kareem, MJ and Kevin McHale to win a Championship.

Then LeBron would be GOAT.

He could have a PER of 76.1 and score 20 points a game (all dunks) and have like 54 assists. And let us not forget his D!!!!!!!!!!!

MTL_123
05-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Accurate but insulting.

LeBron needs Magic, Kareem, MJ and Kevin McHale to win a Championship.

Then LeBron would be GOAT.

He could have a PER of 76.1 and score 20 points a game (all dunks) and have like 54 assists. And let us not forget his D!!!!!!!!!!!

btw wats your team?

Gritz
05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
He needs to be in the 40+ league, with how old he looks and and how fragile his body is, I am sure he will fit right in

tcav701
05-17-2012, 05:14 PM
Are people in here really suggesting that Nash AND Oden are going to Miami?

Do you ppl even know how the cap works?

khaleesi
05-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Oden has one leg shorter then the other. He will never be healthy.

justinnum1
05-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Are people in here really suggesting that Nash AND Oden are going to Miami?

Do you ppl even know how the cap works?

Yes, oden will take the min for a year, if he does well he will get a nice contract the following season from someone. And nash can take mini mle.

BcEuAbRsS
05-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Nash will get offered much more than the 2.5 million mini... And as far as Oden, I doubt he's a factor for any team...

tcav701
05-17-2012, 05:44 PM
Yes, oden will take the min for a year, if he does well he will get a nice contract the following season from someone. And nash can take mini mle.

Of Course!

Nash would certainly turn down at least 10M a year to play for 1/4 of that and play off the ball for the first time in his career. If you are gonna use the MLE on a PG, why not one that fits the offense? (Billups)

And there would be at least 10 teams willing to offer Oden more than the league min. But you're right, he should go to Miami for peanuts and beat up his knees in an uptempo offense.

BigBlueCrew
05-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Of Course!

Nash would certainly turn down at least 10M a year to play for 1/4 of that and play off the ball for the first time in his career. If you are gonna use the MLE on a PG, why not one that fits the offense? (Billups)

And there would be at least 10 teams willing to offer Oden more than the league min. But you're right, he should go to Miami for peanuts and beat up his knees in an uptempo offense.

wouldn't you turn down 10 Mil?

tcav701
05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
wouldn't you turn down 10 Mil?

Only if I got to stand around on the court and watch LBJ play.

SeoulBeatz
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd take Oden on crutches instead of Spencer Hawes anyday of the week.

seriously.

Delrayhc
05-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Funny you say that because the raps will never win a ring.

Delrayhc
05-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Stern should just give the heat unlimited cap space and the ability to call their own fouls, maybe then they might win a chip.

Funny that you say that because the Raps will never win a ring.

tcav701
05-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Funny that you say that because the Raps will never win a ring.

Never is a long time.

Trueblue2
05-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Your sig :laugh:

http://www.facebook.com/NBAMemes

You're welcome

justjames
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
He needs to go to Phoenix first so their training staff can work their magic.

Fnom11
05-17-2012, 08:40 PM

I believe he already stated he wont be playing this upcoming season in order to get completely healthy and try again in 2014.