PDA

View Full Version : Shaq vs Duncan is playing out all over again in swingmen form

Chronz
05-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Remember when a young Shaq took the Magic to heights never attained before? When he led them to the Finals before getting swept. How he left Orlando for the bright lights of LA in pursuit of a chip and greener pastures. Remember how he failed for years.

Then came this low key superstar on a small market team and won a title in half the time.

Doesnt that sound really similar to what happened with Bron.

Led a floundering franchise to the Finals only to get swept - Check
Left small market to join bigger market - Check
Failed at first - Check
Durant = Duncan

All Durant needs to do is win a title and Bron real off a 3-peat the cycle will be complete.

Has anyone noticed these similarities

NBAfan4life
05-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Not really til you mentioned it, the only difference is Bron didn't leave for a giant market. He just teamed up with some other stars.

I really like Durant, even though they are not the Lakers or the Wolves I wouldn't mind watching him and OKC win it all this year.

SugeKnight
05-16-2012, 11:02 PM
All Durant needs to do is win a title and Bron real off a 3-peat the cycle will be complete.

Still a looonngg way to go

JordansBulls
05-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Remember when a young Shaq took the Magic to heights never attained before? When he led them to the Finals before getting swept. How he left Orlando for the bright lights of LA in pursuit of a chip and greener pastures. Remember how he failed for years.

Then came this low key superstar on a small market team and won a title in half the time.

Doesnt that sound really similar to what happened with Bron.

Led a floundering franchise to the Finals only to get swept - Check
Left small market to join bigger market - Check
Failed at first - Check
Durant = Duncan

Has anyone noticed these similarities

This is totally off base. Shaq didnt go play with a proven winner in LA, he just went to a winning organization. Durant didn't have a DRob on his team like Duncan did (top 5 player in the league when he first won).

RonE Coleman
05-17-2012, 01:22 AM
No one cares, your theory will be proved wrong when it is Duncan that takes down Lebron... not Durant

mdm692
05-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Obsessed with bron much? Is this what people tell themselves to make up for the fact that the miami cheat experiment will end up as a failure.

Chronz
05-17-2012, 02:11 AM
This is totally off base. Shaq didnt go play with a proven winner in LA, he just went to a winning organization. Durant didn't have a DRob on his team like Duncan did (top 5 player in the league when he first won).

Arent you always saying how winning in LA is cheap because they attract big time players? And what happened to "Eddie Jones was a star man" that you said just yesterday. Even so, I dont see how its totally off base.

thekmp211
05-17-2012, 02:32 AM
interesting. of course people are painting presumptions into the comparison.

yeah. i mean presti filled in all the good bits around duncan for san antonio starting with tony parker. so it's no surprise that he has had great success in OKC. the dude knows what's up in a major way.

bron and shaq both had talent but to be fair flawed situations. i can't and don't criticize either for leaving.

the parallel is great because neither guy has won a ring yet either. it's kind of like dueling paths to a contender from a GM's perspective. who hits the finish line first?

lanegfe
05-17-2012, 06:05 AM
http://www.vvio.info/jpg1Obsessed with bron much? Is this what people tell themselves to make up for the fact that the miami cheat experiment will end up as a failure.
Is this what people tell themselves to make up for the fact

naps
05-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Obsessed with bron much? Is this what people tell themselves to make up for the fact that the miami cheat experiment will end up as a failure.

Sounds mad...ummm...

LongWayFromHome
05-17-2012, 01:17 PM

I don't think so bro. Duncan was 3rd in MVP voting while Robinson didn't make an All-NBA or All-Defense team (not that those mean everything, his wins/48 led the league). Just saying I don't think anyone would say Robinson was a top 10 player even at that point.

Malone
Duncan
Shaq
Grant Hill
Jason Kidd
Iverson
Zo
Gary Payton
Webber

I guess based on his metric stats you could argue top 5. I'm just sayin that was Duncan's team