PDA

View Full Version : Lawrie Suspended 4 games

bomber0104
05-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Brett Lawrie has been suspended four games for spiking his helmet at home plate umpire Bill Miller.

The incident happened Tuesday night after Miller made back-to-back questionable strike calls in the ninth inning of a one-run game. Lawrie is appealing and is in Toronto's starting lineup Wednesday night against the Yankees. He's unlikely to have the punishment reduced given how bad the scene looked. Lawrie was also fined an undisclosed amount by Major League Baseball.

Shi Davidi

Dol-Fan
05-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Yeah, the appeal won't go anywhere since this is already pretty light. They'll come down hard on him if this happens again.

Any word on an investigation into Miller? No doubt Lawrie was over the top, can't have explosions like that, but I can say that visions of doing far worse would be going on inside my head if I had been Lawrie after those two horrendous calls.

Twitchy
05-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Lawrie's a role model and he's got to do better than that. Sorry. Just because the ump made some crappy calls doesn't excuse what he did. It's frustrating but he has to rise above, and he didn't.

I thought he would have gotten more, to be honest.

Johann
05-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Lawrie's a role model and he's got to do better than that. Sorry. Just because the ump made some crappy calls doesn't excuse what he did. It's frustrating but he has to rise above, and he didn't.

I thought he would have gotten more, to be honest.

He was fine after the 1st 'strike'. I would have been fine too. But if I was getting call after call against me, in a one run game, bottom of the ninth situation, I would be genuinely upset. And getting calls called against you throughout the game. Around 37% strikes were not strikes, so the whole team had reason to be upset.

Throwing the helmet was bad, and throwing it in the direction of the ump was worse. Had it been Pujols, I wouldn't expect any less frustration from him.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 05:38 PM
we dodged a bullet here.

hangman
05-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I was expecting something like 10; four is pretty light.

idrinkpepsi
05-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Well I am definitely not surprised with the suspension, Lawrie had it coming when he threw the helmet near the ump. He needs to mature a bit, but he'll learn from this I think.

BlueJayFanDan
05-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Why do I feel like Lawrie is going to be a top 5 most hated MLB player in 4-5 years? I love Lawrie, but his attitude is awful. He is like the complete opposite of a role model.

KingerSox
05-16-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm not a Jays fan but I was watching the game last night and the kid should of tossed the helmet to side or something lol. But you can't do what he did. The ump's a complete ******* anyways. The 3-1 pitch was a ball by a long shot and he took offence to Lawrie starting towards first base. On the 3-2 another clear ball and Lawrie left for first again. At that point I think the ump wanted to make himself "the show". I can't stand when umps do that crap. Of course he won't even get a phone call for blatantly calling balls strikes even when it was so obvious to see.

Kelly Gruber
05-16-2012, 05:56 PM
He's young and intense. He'll grow up a bit. Not a big deal. Not like he meant to hit him with the helmet and outside of that it wasn't that big of a deal. Ump is a joke anyway.

purplehaze89
05-16-2012, 06:01 PM
You can tell Lawrie is a douche. Ah well, all the great ones have some nastiness in them? Hope for the best?

pacman16
05-16-2012, 06:01 PM
people are over reacting a bit, 2 horrible calls on an intense player like Lawrie in the bottom of the 9th vs the rays. what he did was normal...any player in any sport has their breaking point.
the helmet thing was a fluke to bounce and hit the ump, it's not like he threw it strait at him. if the helmet doesn't bounce the way it did, there's no suspension at all.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 06:03 PM
and yet it was still extremely immature regardless of whether it hit the ump or not. was it not? i think the immaturity is bothersome to some more than the actual suspension.

Kelly Gruber
05-16-2012, 06:10 PM
and yet it was still extremely immature regardless of whether it hit the ump or not. was it not? i think the immaturity is bothersome to some more than the actual suspension.

Sure he's immature. He's 22 years old in his first full MLB season... Were you expecting a wiley veteran?

GrumpyOldMan
05-16-2012, 06:17 PM
As a Jay fan I'm happy with 4 games. I thought it would have been around 7. Any word on an appeal to maybe keep him in the lineup for the Yankee series?

Twitchy
05-16-2012, 06:18 PM
He was fine after the 1st 'strike'. I would have been fine too. But if I was getting call after call against me, in a one run game, bottom of the ninth situation, I would be genuinely upset. And getting calls called against you throughout the game. Around 37% strikes were not strikes, so the whole team had reason to be upset.

Of course he had a reason to be upset. But he handled it extremely poorly. I'd have no issue with him yelling at the umpire, but throwing the helmet is way too much.

Throwing the helmet was bad, and throwing it in the direction of the ump was worse. Had it been Pujols, I wouldn't expect any less frustration from him.

I'd be just as disappointed if it was Pujols as I would Lawrie. Maybe even more so with Pujols since he knows better.

Yankee Clipper
05-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Of course he had a reason to be upset. But he handled it extremely poorly. I'd have no issue with him yelling at the umpire, but throwing the helmet is way too much.

Couldn't agree more. I love to see some fire in guys when something is clearly wrong, but Lawrie went a little too far with his actions last night.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Sure he's immature. He's 22 years old in his first full MLB season... Were you expecting a wiley veteran?

nope. just a grown man.

wamco
05-16-2012, 06:28 PM
people are over reacting a bit, 2 horrible calls on an intense player like Lawrie in the bottom of the 9th vs the rays. what he did was normal...any player in any sport has their breaking point.
the helmet thing was a fluke to bounce and hit the ump, it's not like he threw it strait at him. if the helmet doesn't bounce the way it did, there's no suspension at all.

One horrible call. the last pitch should have been swung at, they teach you that in little league. A pitch that close gets called a strike 100 times a day.

Bombtista
05-16-2012, 06:59 PM
Im actually very surprised so many of you are against Lawrie on this one saying hes a bad role model and a douche. The guy has passion and our team needed a win there and that damn ump took the game away from us. Thats how i see it.

The helmet hitting him was a fluke and had it not hit him the incident wouldnt have amounted to anything.

Overall im so pissed such awful umpiring has such an impact on games. I dont even care about experience, these old guys cant see and we need people who can do the damn job. Or use technology we have available to correct ****ing stupid calls because that was a huge out for us. I hope he appeals and manages to sit through the mets series. But damn, this isnt the first time i feel like the Jays have been raped by umpiring and im sick of it.

aman_13
05-16-2012, 07:02 PM
I love how some people act so perfect where they would always do the right thing in a given situation. He's a young kid who got fired up because the umpire clearly had every intention to call the next pitch a strike as long as the catcher caught it. They call it "in the heat of the moment" for a reason. He showed competitive fire and got a little carried away, it happens and i applaud it. Sometimes it's nice to see baseball players actually show some emotion because they always look like they don't give a ****.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Im actually very surprised so many of you are against Lawrie on this one saying hes a bad role model and a douche. The guy has passion and our team needed a win there and that damn ump took the game away from us. Thats how i see it.

The helmet hitting him was a fluke and had it not hit him the incident wouldnt have amounted to anything.

Overall im so pissed such awful umpiring has such an impact on games. I dont even care about experience, these old guys cant see and we need people who can do the damn job. Or use technology we have available to correct ****ing stupid calls because that was a huge out for us. I hope he appeals and manages to sit through the mets series. But damn, this isnt the first time i feel like the Jays have been raped by umpiring and im sick of it.

i'm not saying he's a bad role model just that it was selfish and hurt the team.

Bombtista
05-16-2012, 07:10 PM
i'm not saying he's a bad role model just that it was selfish and hurt the team.

It wasnt though. When he threw his helmet he never even noticed it hit the ump. His intention was not to physically harm him but to symbolize his complete astonishment with two bad calls in a row ultimately the reason we couldnt start the comeback.

I also realize the MLB needed to do something about this but honestly I believe that ump should get double what lawrie got. You cant have officials determining games on their own and not crediting good at bats against a very good closer.

Billyen
05-16-2012, 07:16 PM
I personal like the FIRE and the passion...this team needs a little of that now.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 07:31 PM
It wasnt though. When he threw his helmet he never even noticed it hit the ump. His intention was not to physically harm him but to symbolize his complete astonishment with two bad calls in a row ultimately the reason we couldnt start the comeback.

I also realize the MLB needed to do something about this but honestly I believe that ump should get double what lawrie got. You cant have officials determining games on their own and not crediting good at bats against a very good closer.

it was selfish in the same way that taking a stupid penalty in hockey is just because you are pissed off. he let down his teammates bottom line.

1hardcore
05-16-2012, 07:48 PM
This is about right. Rules are rules.

H-MYK
05-16-2012, 07:58 PM
I understand how frustrated Lawrie was with those 2 "strikes," but he went too far with the helmet. He's lucky he didn't get more.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
The reactions on are here are pretty hilarious especially since most of us can relate to Lawrie age wise. You have to be kidding me if you think a 22 year old is a douche bag because he's full of energy and passion for something he believes in.
This is his profession and possibly the way he's going to earn a living for the rest of his life, excuse me for defending someone who gives a damn and wears their emotions on their sleeves. I know damn well when people around the ages of 19-23 get emotionally involved while playing sports even if its a pick up basketball game. You learn from these things and get better so to freaken down a guy and call him names after doing this for the first times a joke.

Just not to long ago people loved his enthusiasm and energy last year now its suddenly a bad thing what a joke

Would you rather have guys who don't show much emotion and just show up for a paycheck night in night out. Or guys who decide to retire at the age of 28 29 because they "dont love" the game anymore.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 08:05 PM
The reactions on are here are pretty hilarious especially since most of us can relate to Lawrie age wise. You have to be kidding me if you think a 22 year old is a douche bag because he's full of energy and passion for something he believes in.
This is his profession and possibly the way he's going to earn a living for the rest of his life, excuse me for defending someone who gives a damn and wears their emotions on their sleeves. I know damn well when people around the ages of 19-23 get emotionally involved while playing sports even if its a pick up basketball game. You learn from these things and get better so to freaken down a guy and call him names after doing this for the first times a joke.

Just not to long ago people loved his enthusiasm and energy last year now its suddenly a bad thing what a joke

Would you rather have guys who don't show much emotion and just show up for a paycheck night in night out. Or guys who decide to retire at the age of 28 29 because they "dont love" the game anymore.

no that's not true at all. his enthusiasm is a great thing. but he can be enthusiastic and still be mature. the two are not mutually exclusive.

it's not enthusiasm that made him fire a helmet in the vicinity of the ump.

koreancabbage
05-16-2012, 08:13 PM
about time someone finally stood up to suspect umpiring.

I applaud him for going after the ump and showing some emotion and not going down with a whimper. Refs and umps have been even worse lately in professional sports. its atrocious that there are no fines/after-game interviews/public humiliation/man-up-to-your-mistakes/suspensions for bad calls and no-calls.

If both the refs/umps are part of the game with the players, its riduclous that they don't hold up their end of the bargain in terms of their profession when players have to. They also get paid as well, so its pretty ********.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-16-2012, 08:17 PM
no that's not true at all. his enthusiasm is a great thing. but he can be enthusiastic and still be mature. the two are not mutually exclusive.

it's not enthusiasm that made him fire a helmet in the vicinity of the ump.

He's 22 years old and been around baseball basically his whole life. Not to mention by his twitter pics, facebook pics, you guys can clearly tell he's still enjoying his life and his youth. Like i said excuse me if the guy is living his life having fun and is still learning day by day about maturing into an adult.

Why do people think everyone is as reserved as them. You only live once if your going to waste your youth and not enjoy it then whne your 40-50 you'll regret it and end up having affairs n stuff. So its best he gets everything out of his system now and learns on the fly.
Like he said its his first incident this bad with an ump so he'll be fine

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 08:19 PM
about time someone finally stood up to suspect umpiring.

I applaud him for going after the ump and showing some emotion and not going down with a whimper. Refs and umps have been even worse lately in professional sports. its atrocious that there are no fines/after-game interviews/public humiliation/man-up-to-your-mistakes/suspensions for bad calls and no-calls.

If both the refs/umps are part of the game with the players, its riduclous that they don't hold up their end of the bargain in terms of their profession when players have to. They also get paid as well, so its pretty ********.

i'm pretty sure you got that wrong. players don't get interviewed after the game as a way of shaming them, they get interviewed because the public gives a **** about what they have to say. that's why they don't interview umps. no one gives a damn. doesn't make them exempt from being held accountable by their employer.

TOJAYS
05-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Lawrie is "out" there no doubt, this was probably the first time his intensity resulted in a negative way though, and it was because of 2 terrible calls. I expected about 5-8 games so he got a fairly light one.

Bombtista
05-16-2012, 08:25 PM
i'm pretty sure you got that wrong. players don't get interviewed after the game as a way of shaming them, they get interviewed because the public gives a **** about what they have to say. that's why they don't interview umps. no one gives a damn. doesn't make them exempt from being held accountable by their employer.

People wanna hear how Miller would react for sure, just as much as they wanna hear from lawrie. They should definetly be expected to face the media after blowing a game in front of the home crowd.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
People wanna hear how Miller would react for sure, just as much as they wanna hear from lawrie. They should definetly be expected to face the media after blowing a game in front of the home crowd.

meh. strikes are a judgement call. i don't think that requires defending oneself to the media.

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 08:28 PM

so you only want to have the umps interviewed when they **** up. yeah that sounds like a nice system lol

Bombtista
05-16-2012, 08:35 PM
so you only want to have the umps interviewed when they **** up. yeah that sounds like a nice system lol

well yeah! they have a tough job being a major league umpire. You gotta do the job right or get the hell outta here and we wont struggle to find you a replacement

Jamiecballer
05-16-2012, 08:46 PM
well yeah! they have a tough job being a major league umpire. You gotta do the job right or get the hell outta here and we wont struggle to find you a replacement

we will have to disagree then. i don't think the way to improve the quality of major league umpiring is by shaming them.

Krylian
05-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Why do I feel like Lawrie is going to be a top 5 most hated MLB player in 4-5 years? I love Lawrie, but his attitude is awful. He is like the complete opposite of a role model.

I'd like his "awful" attitude to rub off on the rest of the team so they had more swag, effort, and balls.

gattaca
05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm not a Jays fan but I was watching the game last night and the kid should of tossed the helmet to side or something lol. But you can't do what he did. The ump's a complete ******* anyways. The 3-1 pitch was a ball by a long shot and he took offence to Lawrie starting towards first base. On the 3-2 another clear ball and Lawrie left for first again. At that point I think the ump wanted to make himself "the show". I can't stand when umps do that crap. Of course he won't even get a phone call for blatantly calling balls strikes even when it was so obvious to see.

this

Lawrie got the right suspension, but why is the ump still employed? terrible calls

gattaca
05-16-2012, 09:08 PM
I love how some people act so perfect where they would always do the right thing in a given situation. He's a young kid who got fired up because the umpire clearly had every intention to call the next pitch a strike as long as the catcher caught it. They call it "in the heat of the moment" for a reason. He showed competitive fire and got a little carried away, it happens and i applaud it. Sometimes it's nice to see baseball players actually show some emotion because they always look like they don't give a ****.

i would have thrown my helmet at his head

Twitchy
05-16-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm actually really surprised at how many of you think this is acceptable behaviour.

Passion and dedication is running out every ball to first base or first pumping when you get a double. That's the kind of energy you want to see on the field.

This is Milton Bradley-esque garbage that embarrasses the team and the player. He could have seriously hurt the ump, and he was completely out of control.

There's no excuse for it and just because he plays on the Jays doesn't mean anybody should be defending him. Those kinds of actions shouldn't be acceptable on a baseball field.

ah nuts
05-16-2012, 09:43 PM
i'll say it again, the ump should be suspended.

Why? he allowed his personal feelings to cause a deliberate bias toward a team(negative bias toward a team to be specific). To me that is unacceptable in pro sports. people bet money on these games.

only "a moron" would say this call was "human error".

I'll say again, Lawrie didn't nothing wrong after the first incorrect strike call.
Why? at EVERY at bat, what does Lawrie do? he sprints all out to first. He is known for this. His instinct. Why should he change this if the ump delays his call? that's just stupid! And Lawrie went back to the batter box quite mannerly considering.

Only when the ump called the 2nd(incorrect) strike Lawrie got out of line... with the helmet anyway.

scaramantula
05-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I'm actually really surprised at how many of you think this is acceptable behaviour.

Passion and dedication is running out every ball to first base or first pumping when you get a double. That's the kind of energy you want to see on the field.

This is Milton Bradley-esque garbage that embarrasses the team and the player. He could have seriously hurt the ump, and he was completely out of control.

There's no excuse for it and just because he plays on the Jays doesn't mean anybody should be defending him. Those kinds of actions shouldn't be acceptable on a baseball field.

im suprised at how many people are upset at lawrie, he didnt throw anything at the ump, it bounced off the ground in his general direction, this whole situation seems like its being blown out of proportion, fans lawrie the ump and the league.

i personally would not have given out the suspension, its not like it was violent, just in the heat of the moment

scottythegreat1
05-16-2012, 10:19 PM
He got 4 games, I figured he would get more and then theyd drop it after the appeal, I doubt they change their minds. I think the MLB understands the fact that hitting the umpire was an accident.

TO Rapz
05-16-2012, 10:27 PM
I for one love his attitude. Keep doing you Lawrie, I love the way he has passion and fire for the game. Was the helmet toss a bit much? Sure, but I wouldn't want him to change because of that.

Nofear
05-16-2012, 10:46 PM

Passion and dedication is running out every ball to first base or first pumping when you get a double. That's the kind of energy you want to see on the field. This is Milton Bradley-esque garbage that embarrasses the team and the player. He could have seriously hurt the ump, and he was completely out of control.

Come in off that ledge there Fella, this kind of stuff happens every single year by some of the all time greats. How many times have you seen replays of George Brett come tearing out of that dugout at the ump? How many time have you seen the replays different well respected mangers going off the deep end? How many HOF players have you seen on the highlight reels "completely out of control" as you put it above?

I have a great deal of respect for you and your thoughts but come on guy, There are countless HOF players that have been out of control a time or two. Lawrie threw a helmet on the freaking ground, big deal managers throw there head gear on the ground all the time too but youre not on here raping them for it are you? Players and managers throw bats, gloves, hats, helmets, gatorade jugs and anything else they can get their hands on and I don't see you on here trying to paint them Milton Bradley-esque. He threw a helmet on the ground not at anyone

Get off the high horse, this stuff has gone on since the game was invented. Embarrassment? Sorry but Lou Pinella chucking bases, George Brett's called off HR, Hal McRae tearing apart an office and countless others destroying dugouts disagree with you. All well respected players and managers and none of them are Milton Bradley-esque

Eagles4Lyfe
05-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Also these guys play sometimes a long stretch of games, you can't fault them if they get frustrated so easily because of all the emotional and physical toll they have to go through on a daily bases.
If this was the NBA or NHL where they play every other day or have a two off before playing again so they have time to relax. To be so judgmental and dismiss the guy as a douche and immature is pretty sad.

Twitchy
05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Come in off that ledge there Fella, this kind of stuff happens every single year by some of the all time greats. How many times have you seen replays of George Brett come tearing out of that dugout at the ump? How many time have you seen the replays different well respected mangers going off the deep end? How many HOF players have you seen on the highlight reels "completely out of control" as you put it above?

I have a great deal of respect for you and your thoughts but come on guy, There are countless HOF players that have been out of control a time or two. Lawrie threw a helmet on the freaking ground, big deal managers throw there head gear on the ground all the time too but youre not on here raping them for it are you? Players and managers throw bats, gloves, hats, helmets, gatorade jugs and anything else they can get their hands on and I don't see you on here trying to paint them Milton Bradley-esque. He threw a helmet on the ground not at anyone

Get off the high horse, this stuff has gone on since the game was invented. Embarrassment? Sorry but Lou Pinella chucking bases, George Brett's called off HR, Hal McRae tearing apart an office and countless others destroying dugouts disagree with you. All well respected players and managers and none of them are Milton Bradley-esque

So your entire argument is basically that just because the best players in the game can act like tools, so can Lawrie? That's not how it works. What Lawrie did isn't remotely defensible.

WhatSayYou
05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
So your entire argument is basically that just because the best players in the game can act like tools, so can Lawrie? That's not how it works. What Lawrie did isn't remotely defensible.

Lol not once did he say what Lawrie did was OK, he's just responding to guy a claiming Lawrie was the next Milthon Bradley. As he aptly alluded too many well respected players have had tantrums after poor calls, so lets refrain from declaring Lawrie insane and an embrassment to our organization. He's a kid that lost his cool, thats it, its no big deal...

aman_13
05-16-2012, 11:21 PM

I'm sure everyone acknowledges in hindsight that he shouldn't have thrown his helmet but i think those who are against it also have to acknowledge that this does happen time to time. Sometimes we do things in the heat of the moment that we regret later on. When your in a one run game and you know the umpire has the intent to call you out, your going to be angry.

riderfan60
05-16-2012, 11:28 PM

I agree completely. We need more players with Lawrie's fire and intensity, we'd be a much tougher team to play against. Saying that, Lawrie stepped over the line, and has to pay a price, four games seems about right. He's young and he probably learned a valuable lesson. Who knows, maybe that episode played into the way the Jays played tonite.

Too bad the douche bag ump doesn't get disciplined for poor performance.

Sadds The Gr8
05-17-2012, 02:15 AM
he's 22. big ****in deal. The helmet toss was a little bit extra, but he definitely had a right to cuss off that ****face umpire.

wamco
05-17-2012, 04:01 AM
The botched call vs the yanks tonight late in the game with KJ getting to 2b late and Nix being called out was far more egregious than the called 3rd strike. Anyone want the ump banned/fired/killed?

wamco
05-17-2012, 04:05 AM

Why? he allowed his personal feelings to cause a deliberate bias toward a team(negative bias toward a team to be specific). To me that is unacceptable in pro sports. people bet money on these games.

I'll say again, Lawrie didn't nothing wrong after the first incorrect strike call.
Why? at EVERY at bat, what does Lawrie do? he sprints all out to first. He is known for this. His instinct. Why should he change this if the ump delays his call? that's just stupid! And Lawrie went back to the batter box quite mannerly considering.

Only when the ump called the 2nd(incorrect) strike Lawrie got out of line... with the helmet anyway.

check out the pitch track and then comment:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2012/05/16/lawrie_strikezone_helmet_toss_blue_jays/

wamco
05-17-2012, 04:15 AM
[QUOTE=Twitchy;22208238]I'm actually really surprised at how many of you think this is acceptable behaviour.

You new around here twitchy?

Toxeryll
05-17-2012, 05:02 AM
check out the pitch track and then comment:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/2012/05/16/lawrie_strikezone_helmet_toss_blue_jays/

both calls were outside the strike zone, whats ur point??

2009mvp
05-17-2012, 08:38 AM
The botched call vs the yanks tonight late in the game with KJ getting to 2b late and Nix being called out was far more egregious than the called 3rd strike. Anyone want the ump banned/fired/killed?

Most baseball fans wanted ole CB banned/fired/killed long before that call.

2009mvp
05-17-2012, 08:41 AM
im suprised at how many people are upset at lawrie, he didnt throw anything at the ump, it bounced off the ground in his general direction, this whole situation seems like its being blown out of proportion, fans lawrie the ump and the league.

i personally would not have given out the suspension, its not like it was violent, just in the heat of the moment

Holy ****, are you for real???

wamco
05-17-2012, 08:51 AM

You couldn't have had a closer ball/strike call if you tried to. It was far from egregious (the 3rd strike)

wamco
05-17-2012, 08:51 AM

You couldn't have had a closer ball/strike call if you tried to. It was far from egregious (the 3rd strike)

You think every strike called for drabek last night was a strike? Or any game for that matter?

KaiserSose
05-17-2012, 09:32 AM
People are taking this a little too far on both sides of the argument. The strike 2 call was the most egregious. The strike 3 call was a ball but it was close and Lawrie should be protecting the plate. That being said most umps are allergic to calling those high strikes so I understand how it could be frustrating. Apparently Mr Miller is known for having a pitcher-friendly strike zone.

Lawrie over-reacted and got what he deserved.

LOL at the people that think Lawrie is going to go ahead with the appeal. It will be dropped when the play some less important games.

FlakeyFool
05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
I dont see how thats a "LOL"

KaiserSose
05-17-2012, 11:13 AM
I dont see how thats a "LOL"

It's a LOL because it is absurd to think he is going to go ahead with an appeal to a very friendly suspension. He is likely just waiting out the Yankee series. He might actually serve it versus the Mets although that would also cost him a Rays game.

kanersen
05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
The third strike wasn't even close. The second strike was, which was fine - it was still a ball but it could be passed off as a borderline call. The third strike - wow. Either bad umpiring or the Ump had it out for Lawrie. The pitch was both too high and outside. It's not even debatable. Roy Halladay wouldn't have gotten that call.

Toxeryll
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
The third strike wasn't even close. The second strike was, which was fine - it was still a ball but it could be passed off as a borderline call. The third strike - wow. Either bad umpiring or the Ump had it out for Lawrie. The pitch was both too high and outside. It's not even debatable. Roy Halladay wouldn't have gotten that call.

for me, the second strike was not borderline. it was well off the plate, it was exactly like the first pitch that was called a ball. The third strike was only made borderline because of how molina framed that pitch, that made it close, but it was a ball for sure.

Twitchy
05-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Lol not once did he say what Lawrie did was OK, he's just responding to guy a claiming Lawrie was the next Milthon Bradley. As he aptly alluded too many well respected players have had tantrums after poor calls, so lets refrain from declaring Lawrie insane and an embrassment to our organization. He's a kid that lost his cool, thats it, its no big deal...

And where did I say that he was the new Milton Bradley? I said that his response to the situation was something I'd expect from Milton Bradley.

And yes, it is a big deal. It's not just some kid losing his cool. It was a frustrating situation, but it didn't require a response of that magnitude.

Jamiecballer
05-17-2012, 03:58 PM

i've heard this so many times people are treating it as fact. how do people know with certainty that the ump was trying to screw lawrie for jumping the gun on the pitch before? as far as i am aware that is an enormous assumption that everybody is making. i guess it's true, repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth.

Jamiecballer
05-17-2012, 04:01 PM

i couldn't agree more. throwing bases around is childish sure, but there is a huge difference between that and wrecklessly spiking your helmet into the turf. where was his regard for anyone? the catcher, the ump, himself?

Jamiecballer
05-17-2012, 04:04 PM

he didn't say he was an embarrassment to our organization. but IT (the action) was. please notice the difference between the two statements because it is huge.