PDA

View Full Version : Larry Bird wins Executive of the Year

GoPacers33
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/basketball/nba/05/16/larry.bird.pacers.executive.ap/index.html

Well deserved Mr. Bird:clap:.

first person to win MVP, COY, and EOTY.

kntresistheheat
05-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Congrats to Larry the Legend! I enjoyed seeing his playing career and what he did with that pacers team is incredible! They have a great future

EDIT: I hope he never leaves that organization.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-16-2012, 04:41 PM
Congrats Larry Legend! :clap:

justinnum1
05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
nice

Chronz
05-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Serious question, should the logo be replaced?

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-16-2012, 04:45 PM
Serious question, should the logo be replaced?

With who?

Maybe only MJ could replace Jerry West. That's it.

Chacarron
05-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Well deserved.

smith&wesson
05-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Congrats to Larry the Legend! I enjoyed seeing his playing career and what he did with that pacers team is incredible! They have a great future

EDIT: I hope he never leaves that organization.

i agree.

congrads larry bird.

Chronz
05-16-2012, 05:00 PM
With who?

Bird. Hes the only guy to win MVP, COY, and Executive of the year. Hes reached the top among his peers in every facet of the game.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Bird. Hes the only guy to win MVP, COY, and Executive of the year. Hes reached the top among his peers in every facet of the game.

In our politically correct world, along with the NBA being african american dominant, there is a zero to below zero chance they replace the current one with another white player.

Weezy
05-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Gratz, well deserved for Bird!

IndyRealist
05-16-2012, 05:10 PM
He's the only guy to do it because most star players turned coaches suck. And star players turned executives suck even more.

kubernetes
05-16-2012, 05:14 PM
What happens if his Pacers meet the Celtics in the ECF? I know the Pacers are his team but...

Vincent
05-16-2012, 05:30 PM
I think the Clippers made the most improvements to their roster this year... So executive of the year should be.... David Stern.

But it's nice to see Larry Bird get recognition for managing the roster so well.

Giraffes Rule
05-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Larry Bird did not deserve this award above RC Buford.

dalton749
05-16-2012, 05:46 PM
I thought jordan was a lock for this award...

teddygreen17
05-16-2012, 05:56 PM
well deserved...That team is a TEAM, with depth, with talent, with athletes, and a reasonable pay scale.
Nice job.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Nice job Larry!

JNA17
05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I will still never understand why Larry didn't continue to coach. The guy coached the pacers for only 3 years and his team was a 1 seed, 50+ win team in all of them. And in his third year, he leads the team into the finals. He came up short but in 6 games with a Shaq+Kobe team.

PacersForLife
05-16-2012, 09:49 PM
I will still never understand why Larry didn't continue to coach. The guy coached the pacers for only 3 years and his team was a 1 seed, 50+ win team in all of them. And in his third year, he leads the team into the finals. He came up short but in 6 games with a Shaq+Kobe team.

And he'll probably leave after this year. I don't know what it is, but he likes to leave when the teams get good.

magichatnumber9
05-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Is this some kind of joke. Is there a best owner award also. ****ing dumb

bholly
05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
Larry Bird did not deserve this award above RC Buford.

Disagree. Buford has been great year in and year out, but I think getting West and Hill and propelling Indy to the #3 seed was bigger than SAS getting Jackson and Leonard.

What happens if his Pacers meet the Celtics in the ECF? I know the Pacers are his team but...

What? Nothing. What do you think would happen? He's been a Pacers exec for almost 10 years, and first started coaching for them 15 years ago. The Pacers have played the Celtics twice in the playoffs while he's been exec. Hell he even snaked D West from them this year. What could you possibly think might happen?

Giraffes Rule
05-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Disagree. Buford has been great year in and year out, but I think getting West and Hill and propelling Indy to the #3 seed was bigger than SAS getting Jackson and Leonard.

Trading RJ away for an upgrade with a friendlier contract is huge, the George Hill trade is pretty obvious a win for the Spurs, and there's also Danny Green and Boris Diaw too. Buford basically turned the entire supporting cast around and the Spurs still finished as the 1 seed. Not to mention he's never won it.

This was all for the glamour of getting Larry Bird the award before he retires so we can all have a nice little story of him having coach, executive, and MVP awards. He didn't even do the second best job last year.

eibbor
05-16-2012, 11:37 PM
With who?

This and I'm a Pacer fan

gbrl
05-17-2012, 01:39 AM
Trading RJ away for an upgrade with a friendlier contract is huge, the George Hill trade is pretty obvious a win for the Spurs, and there's also Danny Green and Boris Diaw too. Buford basically turned the entire supporting cast around and the Spurs still finished as the 1 seed. Not to mention he's never won it.

This was all for the glamour of getting Larry Bird the award before he retires so we can all have a nice little story of him having coach, executive, and MVP awards. He didn't even do the second best job last year.

bird picked up two starters our sixth man and our backup center this year changing the team from an 8th seed to a 3rd seed. dont see how that isnt deserving

Giraffes Rule
05-17-2012, 03:24 PM
bird picked up two starters our sixth man and our backup center this year changing the team from an 8th seed to a 3rd seed. dont see how that isnt deserving

RC Buford got 3 starters on the roster, and traded a contract nobody wanted for an upgrade at the same position. The George Hill trade is a clear win for the Spurs, getting Leonard, a draft pick, and rights to a power forward that will come over next year for a combo guard that's not going to get much better. Buford put together the deepest, most talent filled roster in the league and he got robbed.

kdspurman
05-17-2012, 03:35 PM
RC Buford got 3 starters on the roster, and traded a contract nobody wanted for an upgrade at the same position. The George Hill trade is a clear win for the Spurs, getting Leonard, a draft pick, and rights to a power forward that will come over next year for a combo guard that's not going to get much better. Buford put together the deepest, most talent filled roster in the league and he got robbed.

I bet if Pop doesn't win COY that Buford probably gets it. I'm certainly impressed with Indy and what they've done, but Buford is surely deserving as well.

gbrl
05-17-2012, 03:55 PM

who are the three starters?

jacksons not that much of an upgrage same contracts you just gave up a first round pick to knock off a year

dont see how hill cant get better, he became a starter for a reason also a european project and a second round pick isnt anything im losing sleep over

gbrl
05-17-2012, 03:57 PM
I bet if Pop doesn't win COY that Buford probably gets it. I'm certainly impressed with Indy and what they've done, but Buford is surely deserving as well.

agree you couldnt have gone wrong either one

kdspurman
05-17-2012, 04:03 PM

jacksons not that much of an upgrage same contracts you just gave up a first round pick to knock off a year

dont see how hill cant get better, he became a starter for a reason also a european project and a second round pick isnt anything im losing sleep over

fwiw, Jackson is a HUGE upgrade over RJ :) Trust me

Giraffes Rule
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM

Boris Diaw, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard. Green was on and off roster last year, but he was a free agent before they brought him back this year.

Jackson is a huge upgrade over RJ. And that extra year saves the Spurs close to 10 million dollars. That's a great get. RJ was awful with the Spurs.

Hill isn't going to get much better. The only reason he's starting for the Pacers is because you don't have a better option, not because he's a great player. Hill is a good 6th man combo guard, but he's also getting a raise next year. Leonard is a bonafide starter already who has a lot more room to grow. Leonard was the better player in that trade, and the Spurs also got some goodies along with it. Lorbek isn't really a project, by the way. He's coming over next year. We'll see how well he plays or if he gets minutes, but he'll contribute soon. Spurs won that trade easily. They never would have traded Pop's favorite player if it wasn't a win for them.

I'm not saying Bird did a bad job, but the Spurs and Clippers both made better roster moves the past year.

SpaceJamJordans
05-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Oshley should have won it. Martin, Paul, Young, Billups, Butler.
Sent them right to the Playoffs

Sym_
05-17-2012, 11:01 PM
Can Executive Bird beat Lebron ? A battle for the ages :cool:

gbrl
05-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Boris Diaw, Danny Green, Kawhi Leonard. Green was on and off roster last year, but he was a free agent before they brought him back this year.

Jackson is a huge upgrade over RJ. And that extra year saves the Spurs close to 10 million dollars. That's a great get. RJ was awful with the Spurs.

Hill isn't going to get much better. The only reason he's starting for the Pacers is because you don't have a better option, not because he's a great player. Hill is a good 6th man combo guard, but he's also getting a raise next year. Leonard is a bonafide starter already who has a lot more room to grow. Leonard was the better player in that trade, and the Spurs also got some goodies along with it. Lorbek isn't really a project, by the way. He's coming over next year. We'll see how well he plays or if he gets minutes, but he'll contribute soon. Spurs won that trade easily. They never would have traded Pop's favorite player if it wasn't a win for them.

I'm not saying Bird did a bad job, but the Spurs and Clippers both made better roster moves the past year.

i just dont see how the spurs moves were any better than the pacers, clippers on the other hand if billups was healthy they easily wouldve took it even young is proving to be a solid addition in the playoffs

lkingratedr
05-18-2012, 01:55 AM
How about the knicks executive turned the team from 28th defensively to 5th

Signed Jeremy Lin, which turned out to be a huge asset
Signed Tyson chandler, defensive player of the year
Signed Steve novak... Highest 3pt percentage
Signed JR Smith ... Good 6 man
Drafted Iman Shumpert ... Lead rookies in steals
Signed Baron Davis ... Ok signing until injury
Drafted Josh Harrellson... Big body who can shoot 3s

fadedmario
05-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Much deserved. Instead of finding ways to build a team with diva's - he built a team that actually plays like a team. The Pacers remind me of the 03-04 Pistons.

RaiderLakersA's
05-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Congratulations to Larry Legend, our old archenemy.

SteveNash
05-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Definitely undeserved.

Buford was clearly better as shown by the trade the two did. Bird's one move was signing West, signing Chandler, or trading for Paul was clearly better.

In our politically correct world, along with the NBA being african american dominant, there is a zero to below zero chance they replace the current one with another white player.

And you call me a troll? Stop your white victimhood nonsense.