PDA

View Full Version : Great read on Tim Duncan

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 01:56 PM
I don't usually like to start threads about the Spurs in the main forum, but I thought this was a pretty cool read here. I found this to be very interesting and somewhat not surprising:

5 His Buddy KG

Just kidding, as this might count in his favor. In fact, Duncan hates Kevin Garnett. Hates him the way liberals hate Sean Hannity. This information comes from very reliable sources, who talk about how KG has made a career of trying to punk Duncan, baiting him and slapping him and whispering really weird smack into his ear. They talk about how funny this is, because the worst thing you can do as an opponent is piss off Duncan. Then, as Malik Rose says, "he f------ destroys you." Duncan's lifetime numbers versus Garnett's teams, by the way: 19.4 points per game, 11.6 boards and a 44--17 record, including the postseason.

Duncan is diplomatic about the topic. Asked if perhaps all those years battling Garnett have softened his feelings for the man, led to a Magic-Larry type of kinship, Duncan leans back on the couch in his hotel room and grins. There is a pause. A longer pause. Finally he says, "Define kinship."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1198491/1/index.htm

This coincides to a quote from then Ron Artest:

Artest explained: "I remember one time Kevin Garnett was mushing him, and shoving him in the face; and Tim Duncan didn't do anything, he didn't react. He just kicked Kevin Garnett's a--, and won the damn championship. You know what I'm sayin'? That's gangsta. Everybody can show emotion, dunk on somebody, scream and be real cocky; but Tim Duncan is a ... he's a pimp."

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Definitely some things in here that you'd never know. That's for sure, always cool to see that side of players

This part to me really defines Tim I think too... Pretty bad ***..

19 Mind Games

His on-court demeanor is so reserved that The Onion once ran a story titled, TIM DUNCAN HAMS IT UP FOR CROWD BY ARCHING LEFT EYEBROW SLIGHTLY. This impression is intentional, it turns out. Duncan has said he uses silence to "destroy people's psyches." He explains, "The best mind game you can run on someone is just to keep going at them and at them until they break." Don't respond, don't show emotion. Just keep playing. "Eventually," he says with a grin, "you'll piss them off."

Chronz
05-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Leave it to Ballard to give you the inside track in depth. Good writing, great story

thekmp211
05-16-2012, 02:29 PM
i know we all think KG is kinda a douche these days, and this is an awesome juxtaposition of these two guys as competitors, but those stats are misleading.

my nba dream, and i mean that not entirely as a joke, would come true if the celtics and the spurs met in the finals. this debate has driven my passion for the game in a lot of ways cause there's no right answer! we'd finally get to see the two greats face off with solid coaches and teams around them. giggity. the heat can wait.

that artest quote is great.

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 02:31 PM
i know we all think KG is kinda a douche these days, and this is an awesome juxtaposition of these two guys as competitors, but those stats are misleading.

my nba dream, and i mean that not entirely as a joke, would come true if the celtics and the spurs met in the finals. this debate has driven my passion for the game in a lot of ways cause there's no right answer! we'd finally get to see the two greats face off with solid coaches and teams around them. giggity. the heat can wait.

that artest quote is great.

How so?

thekmp211
05-16-2012, 02:47 PM
How so?

well W/L is W/L. the spurs are the spurs and garnett played on the t-wolves for so long. you just can't decide that duncan is a better player based off of that.

the career numbers vs. garnett i find funny too. they are a little worse than his career numbers ... so to me that says KG plays him better than most which is about as good as a guy can do against a top 2/3 player at his position of all time.

i just think that KG's injury, and his douchery, have made people forget how freaking incredibly good he was in minnesota as an individual. TD has the better career, and came into the league better, but these guys have been almost like the bird/magic of our generation. kg just wasted away on a bad team for a long time. totally different players, totally different people, and if i couldn't have one of these guys at the 4 all time, i would pick the other in a heart beat to start my franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJb7o8yIvk

it was obvious that this kid was special from day 1, the interview is funny.

i think people have soured on KG too much. he motivates himself in a different way that i don't like but definitely appreciate. and he isn't a bad person off the court, at all, by all accounts.

love timmy though. and the whole story is great.

JordansBulls
05-16-2012, 02:51 PM
good stuff

D-Leethal
05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Timmy D is such a boss. Love me some Spurs basketball.

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 03:11 PM
well W/L is W/L. the spurs are the spurs and garnett played on the t-wolves for so long. you just can't decide that duncan is a better player based off of that.

the career numbers vs. garnett i find funny too. they are a little worse than his career numbers ... so to me that says KG plays him better than most which is about as good as a guy can do against a top 2/3 player at his position of all time.

i just think that KG's injury, and his douchery, have made people forget how freaking incredibly good he was in minnesota as an individual. TD has the better career, and came into the league better, but these guys have been almost like the bird/magic of our generation. kg just wasted away on a bad team for a long time. totally different players, totally different people, and if i couldn't have one of these guys at the 4 all time, i would pick the other in a heart beat to start my franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDJb7o8yIvk

it was obvious that this kid was special from day 1, the interview is funny.

i think people have soured on KG too much. he motivates himself in a different way that i don't like but definitely appreciate. and he isn't a bad person off the court, at all, by all accounts.

love timmy though. and the whole story is great.

Meh... I've done the whole KG vs Timmy thing too much to get into it again.

In short, I don't buy KG wasting away on a bad team, but that's just my opinion. Personality, chemistry, and leadership go a long way. Not to mention stepping up when your team needs you most in the post season. That's always been my thing with KG. Not saying he doesn't do those, but Tim has done them a little better, and a little more consistently.

This thread was not opened to start KG vs Duncan though... I thought people would find that part most intriguing finding out he wasn't too fond of KG

5ass
05-16-2012, 03:16 PM
"Tim Duncan is a pimp" LOL
I love timmy, one of my favorite players of all time.

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Years ago also-

Supposedly, KG came up to Tim during the game on Mother's Day and wished him a happy mother's day. Most folks know Tim's mom died when he was 14.

For the record, that game (Game 1) was on May 9, 1999, which just happened to be Mother's Day, 1999 leading to a pretty good supposition that if Garnett was ever going to wish Timmy a Happy Mother's Day, it was that day. (curiously, the T'Wolves were almost always out of the playoffs by Mother's Day in other years and when they were in at that juncture (2004), they were playing the Kings and not the Spurs).

That's the game it supposedly happened. Supposedly, when Duncan was shooting free throws, Garnett said, "Happy Mother's Day, mother ****er."

Ebbs
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Timmy D is and has been better than KG with ease lol. He's also a 100x more loveable.

As a Mavs fan I have always respected Duncan despite having a very bitter view of the Spurs.

thekmp211
05-16-2012, 03:22 PM

In short, I don't buy KG wasting away on a bad team, but that's just my opinion. Personality, chemistry, and leadership go a long way. Not to mention stepping up when your team needs you most in the post season. That's always been my thing with KG. Not saying he doesn't do those, but Tim has done them a little better, and a little more consistently.

This thread was not opened to start KG vs Duncan though... I thought people would find that part most intriguing finding out he wasn't too fond of KG

for sure. last point on it. i think that the different qualities is part of what makes them a great comp. cause KG's leadership qualities are arguably the reason the celtics in 2008 became an elite defensive team and molded into true contenders. i just don't see it as 1 or the other.

didn't know that it was personal. but it makes sense. tim must find kg so god damn annoying cause he doesn't get why kg needs to act like a maniac to get pumped up for hoops. i frankly don't get it either.

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 03:27 PM
for sure. last point on it. i think that the different qualities is part of what makes them a great comp. cause KG's leadership qualities are arguably the reason the celtics in 2008 became an elite defensive team and molded into true contenders. i just don't see it as 1 or the other.

didn't know that it was personal. but it makes sense. tim must find kg so god damn annoying cause he doesn't get why kg needs to act like a maniac to get pumped up for hoops. i frankly don't get it either.

That's true. They lead in different ways, I give you that. Celtics would be doomed without him.

& Check a couple posts up about what KG said to Timmy... It's reasons like this people don't like him and rightfully so. Just like the Charlie Villanueva comment.

TrueFan420
05-16-2012, 03:55 PM
timmy d has always been one of my fav players and in my book is the greatest pf ever

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Loved what Ron said. He's right, that's the difference between these two guys who were part of the same generation.

KG, as great a player he was, had to do a lot of ****-talking, get on the ground and bark like an idiot to rookies. But Duncan won with class and a cerebral "EFF U" to his opponents.

smith&wesson
05-16-2012, 04:03 PM
after reading this very very long article. what stood out to me was that pop declared duncan as a C over the last 15 years not a pf.

everything else we already knew. humble super star who is a proven winner and one of the best of his generation if not the best. timmy d is solid!! always has been.

Chronz
05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
after reading this very very long article. what stood out to me was that pop declared duncan as a C over the last 15 years not a pf.

everything else we already knew. humble super star who is a proven winner and one of the best of his generation if not the best. timmy d is solid!! always has been.

Yea I forgot to make a thread about that one, glad he finally admitted it.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2012, 04:07 PM

I don't care to get into it, but as a Wolves fan, I would have killed to have Duncan's help for KG during those years. He didn't have many bad teams, but he didn't have anything remotely similar to the career help Duncan enjoyed.

Duncan played well in the playoffs, but he continually had closer that would step up and ball as well. All the time, year after year. KG did not.

Good read though, even though I can't stand Duncan.

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 04:09 PM

:laugh2:... Was waiting for someone to point that out. By the books though he was a 4 playing next to D-Rob... But it's pretty obvious now

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't care to get into it, but as a Wolves fan, I would have killed to have Duncan's help for KG during those years. He didn't have many bad teams, but he didn't have anything remotely similar to the career help Duncan enjoyed.

Duncan played well in the playoffs, but he continually had closer that would step up and ball as well. All the time, year after year. KG did not.

Yea I know we've already went into our discussions on these 2 guys

Our judgments can certainly be somewhat clouded and biased which is only natural. But having said that, I think we can agree to disagree... Respectfully :)

Hawkeye15
05-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Yea I know we've already went into our discussions on these 2 guys

Our judgments can certainly be somewhat clouded and biased which is only natural. But having said that, I think we can agree to disagree... Respectfully :)

sure, but please understand, I will read in disgust anyone who attempts to tell me Tim Duncan did not play with far superior players and staff than KG did over their respective careers, prior to KG going to Boston.

KG had championship help 1 season, before they became their selfish selves again. Duncan has enjoyed it 7-8 seasons, legit ring help that is. Again, prior to KG's move to Boston.

smith&wesson
05-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Yea I forgot to make a thread about that one, glad he finally admitted it.

where would you rank him amongst C's all time ? i think he has a case for top 5 if not top 3

do you hate him because he had more success the garnet in their respective prime or because of his playing style ??

:laugh2:... Was waiting for someone to point that out. By the books though he was a 4 playing next to D-Rob... But it's pretty obvious now

I think he was at the 4 early in his career because robinson was a solid C and with duncan able to play both positions it was an easy choice for the coach to start them together.. they were lucky enough to have option, hence the twin towers.

he has been a C longer then he was a 4 thats for sure. I will give credit to robinson. he was a great mentor to duncan.

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
sure, but please understand, I will read in disgust anyone who attempts to tell me Tim Duncan did not play with far superior players and staff than KG did over their respective careers, prior to KG going to Boston.

KG had championship help 1 season, before they became their selfish selves again. Duncan has enjoyed it 7-8 seasons, legit ring help that is. Again, prior to KG's move to Boston.

More years than not, I'd agree with that.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2012, 04:35 PM
do you hate him because he had more success the garnet in their respective prime or because of his playing style ??.

Oh I fully admit my hatred is due to immaturity. First, I was 13 when the Wolves came along. Before Duncan even got there I loathed the Spurs. Watched Robinson just manhandle us, and then they somehow went from a top team in the west to getting the #1 pick, and I went off the deep end haha. Not fair how they acquired Duncan. And then yes, I always thought KG was as good a player as Duncan, but without the guys around him that could cover the few flaws he did have, unlike Duncan.

Over time, I realized that none of that really mattered. I don't like the Spurs, Duncan, or any of them. I respect the organization for doing things right, no doubt. I have grown up a lot since KG came into the league, and can look at it much more rationally now (well, over the past 7-8 years really). I just get miffed when someone actually attempts to tell me Duncan wasn't surrounded by a much better roster and staff throughout his career than KG, prior to the Boston days. Not only is it completely false, its idiotic. I have fully accepted that Duncan is better than KG all time. But I sure as **** don't want to even hear someone tell me they had equal help. I know with my eyes that I saw a slight difference between Robinson, Manu, Parker, Horry, Elliot, and co, over 1 year of Cassell/Spree, and Wally, Rasho, Hudson, and co. Add in Popovich over the rotation of whatever pile of **** the Wolves had outside Flip getting a midrange group together to fit his billion page playbook for a few season, and add in Buford over McHale, and its beyond easy to show that from top to bottom, Duncan had a LOT more help.

Rant over.

kdspurman
05-16-2012, 04:55 PM
where would you rank him amongst C's all time ? i think he has a case for top 5 if not top 3

do you hate him because he had more success the garnet in their respective prime or because of his playing style ??

I think he was at the 4 early in his career because robinson was a solid C and with duncan able to play both positions it was an easy choice for the coach to start them together.. they were lucky enough to have option, hence the twin towers.

he has been a C longer then he was a 4 thats for sure. I will give credit to robinson. he was a great mentor to duncan.

To be exact (just found this)

Duncan started out as PF, with Robinson at C. Pop discovered stretch 4 with Horry in '04.

TRF929
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Long article, but liked the read.

JayW_1023
05-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Duncan is the greatest player of his generation.

*homer post*

GrkGawdofWalkz
05-17-2012, 02:01 AM

The thing about TD21, is he has nothing to prove to anyone. This season is the perfect example. The coaching style of Popovich has him working so well with the reserved gas in the tank. Timmy does what he needs to to win. As for Garnett, I've never liked him, I won't ever like him. I respect him as a player but he's not as good as Duncan in any way. JMO. Until you can tell me what 4 to 1 and 44-17 count for I will laugh. I will take TP9, Manu and Timmy over Allen, Garnett and Pierce. Though Pierce/Rondo are amazing.

kdspurman
05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
The thing about TD21, is he has nothing to prove to anyone. This season is the perfect example. The coaching style of Popovich has him working so well with the reserved gas in the tank. Timmy does what he needs to to win. As for Garnett, I've never liked him, I won't ever like him. I respect him as a player but he's not as good as Duncan in any way. JMO. Until you can tell me what 4 to 1 and 44-17 count for I will laugh. I will take TP9, Manu and Timmy over Allen, Garnett and Pierce. Though Pierce/Rondo are amazing.

I agree with you 100%. Tho there are many Wolves/Celtics/KG fans who disagree, so I respect their opinions. But of course I am with you on this one.

JasonJohnHorn
05-17-2012, 10:36 AM
Just for the record, Duncan is my fav player and I don't live in SA.

I even made it a point to buy tickets to an SA Detroit (in Detroit) game this season just so I could watch him play. I kept yelling out "Tim Duncan I love you!" And there were actually quite a few Spurs fans in the house that night.