PDA

View Full Version : Lawrie VS UMP

SkyDOME4Eva
05-16-2012, 10:08 AM
How many people think that Umpires should pay fines and face suspensions also for some of these unbelievably horrible calls? Maybe if the umpires would stop getting away with this crap, the players wouldn't have to react in a Lawrie type of fasion to prove a point. The ball could be 3 feet off the plate and umpires can just get away with calling it a strike, I don't get it. I feel that punishment should go both ways, what do you guys think?

wamco
05-16-2012, 10:14 AM
absolutely. The ump deserved more. He should have been forced to fight lawrie one on one to prove who the bigger man was. That would teach that ump his lesson. Lawrie let him get off easy. See how ridiculous that sounds when similar things like this are spouted out by homers/kids?

GrumpyOldMan
05-16-2012, 10:17 AM
It was horrible umpiring, but Brett overreacted and will face suspension.
I don't like the umpires being held to no accountability and never have. You probably wont see him face the media and admit that he was wrong (which Lawrie did by the way) because he doesn't have to. I dont have a problem with a bad call as long as the umpire calls it the way he sees it, but there is no way that full count pitch could be seen as a strike. He rung up Lawrie for what he felt was showing him up. He should face the media and be made to admit that. Maybe if they were held accountable for their actions the same way as the players are umpires won't make vengeance calls.

SkyDOME4Eva
05-16-2012, 10:19 AM
what the heck are you blabbering on about. When did I state that they should have a huge brawl and beat each other :S Punished with fines and by mlb...not with fists you dumbass

ah nuts
05-16-2012, 10:35 AM
It was horrible umpiring, but Brett overreacted and will face suspension.
I don't like the umpires being held to no accountability and never have. You probably wont see him face the media and admit that he was wrong (which Lawrie did by the way) because he doesn't have to. I dont have a problem with a bad call as long as the umpire calls it the way he sees it, but there is no way that full count pitch could be seen as a strike. He rung up Lawrie for what he felt was showing him up. He should face the media and be made to admit that. Maybe if they were held accountable for their actions the same way as the players are umpires won't make vengeance calls.

i didn't see that the first bad call at all. What lawrie did was quite acceptable after the first bad call.

the ump should face suspension for allowing his personal feelings to effect the outcome of the game. That's a HUGE deal to me. That's just dirty and shameful.

if u can't do your job, u shouldnt be there.

GrumpyOldMan
05-16-2012, 10:45 AM
I agree with you, I just said that was how the ump felt. I think the ump was every bit as wrong as Lawrie was. The league just rarely sees it that way and probably wont this time. That's why in instances like this the umpires should be made available to the media. Let Wilner and Jeff Blair question their motives.

Nica
05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
After the whole Donaghy scandal in the NBA you don't think umps/ refs are scrutinized ? He made a judgement call and thanks to replay it was confirmed
as an incorrect call. To err is human. Personally I enjoyed the human element of sports.
Hopefully they take the dubious nature of the last two calls into consideration when they fine/ suspend Lawrie. And he should face discipline for the physical part ( albeit unintentional) of his reaction.

FlakeyFool
05-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Lawrie scared the **** out of him

2009mvp
05-16-2012, 11:04 AM
I agree with you, I just said that was how the ump felt. I think the ump was every bit as wrong as Lawrie was. The league just rarely sees it that way and probably wont this time. That's why in instances like this the umpires should be made available to the media. Let Wilner and Jeff Blair question their motives.

Bad idea. You don't think umps would lean a certain way in an important ballgame in Yankee Stadium with the NY media able to rip them apart after the game? This stuff needs to be handled internally whether that satisfies the public or not.

Ragin' Cajun
05-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah its too bad Lawrie's helmet had to bounce towards the ump. That ump should definitely be penalized. Whether it be not getting any playoff games or something. He made 2 horrible calls on Lawrie there let alone quite a few other sketchy ball and strike calls.

wamco
05-16-2012, 12:17 PM
what the heck are you blabbering on about. When did I state that they should have a huge brawl and beat each other :S Punished with fines and by mlb...not with fists you dumbass

Who said you said it? I was referencing many jays fans across the internet today.

See Ah Nuts post in this thread:
" What lawrie did was quite acceptable after the first bad call."

Quite acceptable? Really? The complete opposite is true, hence the upcoming suspension which will hurt the team quite a bit.

The dumbass would be the one saying umps should be fined and/or suspended for making incorrect calls. Now that is stupid. It's called the human element and has been in place in baseball for well over 100 years now. Dumbo. Just an awful, awful suggestion by surely a 15 year old.

wamco
05-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Yeah its too bad Lawrie's helmet had to bounce towards the ump. That ump should definitely be penalized. Whether it be not getting any playoff games or something. He made 2 horrible calls on Lawrie there let alone quite a few other sketchy ball and strike calls.

it bounced toward the ump because he threw it toward the ump.

LuckyLuke2
05-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Many people have different opinions, but as a fan I would simply say that the ump blew the call. The second called strike was worst then the third called strike. When a ball player runs to first thinking he was walked, the ump almost always will ring you up the next pitch if its close. And that's what happened.

If you're gonna show up an umpire at the MLB level, he's gonna show you right back up and that's what he did to Lawrie. While both strikes were definitely balls, what happened is the ump's fault, but more Lawrie's fault.

GrumpyOldMan
05-16-2012, 12:38 PM
Bad idea. You don't think umps would lean a certain way in an important ballgame in Yankee Stadium with the NY media able to rip them apart after the game? This stuff needs to be handled internally whether that satisfies the public or not.

I didn't look at it from that angle, but I can see what you mean. I just wish there was a way of holding them accountable.

wamco
05-16-2012, 12:40 PM
noone is disputing the blown call. Lawrie acting like a 12 year old is unacceptable.

SkyDOME4Eva
05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't think Lawrie did anything wrong. Your starting to sound like a 10 year old girl though WAMCO. Why the heck shouldn't an ump be punished you DUMBASS. So they can just do whatever they want and get away with it?...yeah that makes a lot of sense...

JMac4PM
05-16-2012, 01:27 PM
these "old school' umps like Bill Miller and Bob Davidson need to be removed from the game. They believe the players should kneel before them. Guess what... I dont watch MLB to see these old fat umps decide the game.

Miller viewed Lawrie running to first base as "showing him up" so he called 2 bad pitches for strikes and decided that Lawrie wasnt gonna get on base. Thats unacceptable and this revenge stance that umpires take need to be removed from the game... personal vendettas cannot affect an umpires call. The umpire should be punished.

wamco
05-16-2012, 01:35 PM
I don't think Lawrie did anything wrong.

Hence being called out, dummy.

Your starting to sound like a 10 year old girl though WAMCO. Why the heck

shouldn't an ump be punished you DUMBASS. So they can just do whatever they want and get away with it?...yeah that makes a lot of sense...

Yes, only 10 year old girls, or adults, would see his actions as inappropriate. Guess MLB is a "10 year old girl" as well or they wouldn't suspend him, right? Care to wager who is right?

Why would an ump be "punished" Asinine. Jesus Christ Do whatever they want? have you seen the pitch dummy? Here it is: Just slightly a ball

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=325&f=2039&t=8993682&p=9

Get back to your homework before your mommy calls you for dinner.

LuckyLuke2
05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't think Lawrie did anything wrong. Your starting to sound like a 10 year old girl though WAMCO. Why the heck shouldn't an ump be punished you DUMBASS. So they can just do whatever they want and get away with it?...yeah that makes a lot of sense...

Lol why you getting so aggressive for? You think Lawrie tossing his helmet and it hitting an ump is acceptable? That's dumb man... everyone knows if you make contact with any official you will be in hot water.

An umpire has control of the game, and while he too was being a hot head he is no more at fault then Lawrie is.

Bob_at_york
05-16-2012, 01:52 PM
Locking this thread so that this doesn't escalate and suddenly Lawrie isn't the only one getting "suspended".