PDA

View Full Version : Teams that revive / kill players

the avenger
05-16-2012, 03:15 AM
This maybe an odd thread, but it's something I've been noticing for many years now: some teams tend to revive a player that was written off before and other teams tend to "kill" a player that was considered a star before.

Reviving teams for me:
-San Antonio: tend to change players like Boris Diaw, Stephen Jackson, Michael Finley,... in to role players contributing to team succes (although their individual stats drop)
-Phoenix: Steve Nash, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Redd, Jared Dudley, Grant Hill,...

Killing teams for me:
NY Knicks: Larry Johnson, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury, Amare Stoudemire, Zach Randolph, Kiki Vandeweghe

For me, all this has loads to do with an open minded coach who knows how to use every player correctly and how to bring out the best in every one of them. A good medical staff is also important I think.

Cal827
05-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Portland Might make the Kills players list: Felton, Oden, Roy..

b@llhog24
05-16-2012, 03:21 AM
Suns revive
Portland kills.

the avenger
05-16-2012, 03:34 AM
Portland Might make the Kills players list: Felton, Oden, Roy.. Good pick, I totally forgot about Portland!

TrueFan420
05-16-2012, 03:35 AM
This maybe an odd thread, but it's something I've been noticing for many years now: some teams tend to revive a player that was written off before and other teams tend to "kill" a player that was considered a star before.

Reviving teams for me:
-San Antonio: tend to change players like Boris Diaw, Stephen Jackson, Michael Finley,... in to role players contributing to team succes (although their individual stats drop)
-Phoenix: Steve Nash, Shaquille O'Neal, Michael Redd, Jared Dudley, Grant Hill,...

Killing teams for me:
NY Knicks: Larry Johnson, Steve Francis, Stephon Marbury, Amare Stoudemire, Zach Randolph, Kiki Vandeweghe

For me, all this has loads to do with an open minded coach who knows how to use every player correctly and how to bring out the best in every one of them. A good medical staff is also important I think.

i think you nailed it on the head

asandhu23
05-16-2012, 03:46 AM
Warriors actually do revive careers of veterans...

YashBoone
05-16-2012, 07:22 AM
I'm a knick fan and I can't disagree.... Larry Johnson was gettin old and at the end of his career with the Knicks and has undergone back surgery, so it's kind of unfair to include him.....

Most of those other guys were coached by isiah Thomas.... He is so bad a coaching the a ****** college team fired him. He can judge talent but just can't coach. .... At all

I think Amare will be fine, but when you have Nash force feeding you the ball with dantoni as coach, who historically has inflated guys numbers offensively, then it's a kind of unfair assessment

the avenger
05-16-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm a knick fan and I can't disagree.... Larry Johnson was gettin old and at the end of his career with the Knicks and has undergone back surgery, so it's kind of unfair to include him.....

Most of those other guys were coached by isiah Thomas.... He is so bad a coaching the a ****** college team fired him. He can judge talent but just can't coach. .... At all

I think Amare will be fine, but when you have Nash force feeding you the ball with dantoni as coach, who historically has inflated guys numbers offensively, then it's a kind of unfair assessment

Larry Johnson was only 27 when he was traded to the Knicks and 31 when he retired, that's not really old...

Do the Knicks fans fear the same will happen to Melo?

LJEATON26
05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
The Clippers have always been known to waste talent.

RaiderLakersA's
05-16-2012, 11:00 AM
Don't blame the team. Some athletes are what you call "system players." Put them in the right system with the right coach and teammates and they'll thrive. But take them out of that element and they're like fish trying to swim in the middle of the Sahara.

aussie
05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Don't forget Danny Green [Spurs]

PacersForLife
05-16-2012, 11:10 AM
It seems like NY has had so many talented teams in the past and could never make them work.

AceMan
05-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Portland kills players and Phoenix brings them back.

torocan
05-16-2012, 02:11 PM
GSW is legendary for launching/reviving player careers... for other teams. :facepalm:

THE MTL
05-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Well, historically you can say NYC has killed certain careers. But we have been on a recent career revival streak. Lin, Novak, Shawne Williams,

mustaine
05-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Larry Johnson was only 27 when he was traded to the Knicks and 31 when he retired, that's not really old...

Do the Knicks fans fear the same will happen to Melo?

Larry Johnson had a back problem which caused his decline, not really the Knicks fault. He was still good, had to change his game a lot and ended up as more of a role player (a very good one). Melo doesn't have a back problem so I'm sure Knicks fans aren't too worried.

Alayla
05-19-2012, 05:57 AM
What the pistons did to iverson comes to mind

the avenger
05-19-2012, 07:32 AM
What the pistons did to iverson comes to mind Wasn't Iverson to blame for himself to?

JasonJohnHorn
05-19-2012, 11:28 AM
OP... you pretty much nailed it in your post. People see their careers extened in Phoenix and SA. The list is too long to even get into.

And you also nailed it as to where players go to kill their careers. NY. Regardless of how good a player is, the NY hype machine expects too much. Anything less than the best is a felony in NY. Melo's numbers go down. Amare. Marbury. Francis. Eddy Curry. Jalen Rose. It's crazy how many players fail in NY. It was a little different in the 90's, because players went there to win. You look at a guy like David Lee, who really came into his own in NY, they just let him go with the hopes of signing LBJ. Instead they got Amare.

When players do get good in NY, they leave, and NY seems to just let them go. We'll see what happens this offseason with Lin and Novak, but as a rule NY is a career killer!

xbrackattackx
05-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Rockets are good at finding young talent also.

Alayla
05-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Wasn't Iverson to blame for himself to?

To an extent its undeniable that the pistons management forced his fall. Even at the time it wasn't hard to tell you don't fall from top 5 or at wrost 10 player to just under average that fast.

Gators123
05-19-2012, 01:05 PM
What the pistons did to iverson comes to mind

This also comes to mind...

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/magazine/specials/2000s/12/03/nba.highlights.lowlights/pistons-decade.jpg

Who were they before they went to the Pistons?