PDA

View Full Version : Report: OJ Mayo wants to change positions to Point Guard

Fresno
05-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Perhaps the biggest question is whether the Grizzlies are willing to or can re-sign restricted free agent O.J. Mayo, who has been considered their best outside threat the past two seasons. But Mayo struggled to adjust to the sixth man role. He also shot just 27 percent in the series against the Clippers.

Mayo stated he wants to play point guard going forward, and he'll certainly be looking for a deal that pays more than the $5.6 million he earned this season. Despite obvious limitations on the ball and inconsistent shooting, what Mayo might command could be too steep for the Grizzlies.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/may/15/grizzlies-season-wrapup-questions-remain/

For a guy with a career average of 2.7 APG, that sounds pretty ridiculous that he thinks he can be a PG in the NBA.

Raps08-09 Champ
05-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Nah. He should be a starting SG though.

SpaceJamJordans
05-16-2012, 01:34 AM
I thought he was going to be a Kobe type of guy... He`d be more efficient in SG

blastmasta26
05-16-2012, 01:38 AM
He can't really create for others, he's better off staying at the 2 and perhaps leaving Memphis.

kozelkid
05-16-2012, 01:42 AM
I always thought he was better off modeling his game after a Chauncey Billups than a Kobe Bryant. I still believe he'd be better off as a pg. He'd have great size and definitely has the handles. He just needs to be a bit more willing of a passer... Granted, he never really had the role of keys to the offense. I'd like to see a team take a chance on him with that role; I think we could see a Billups like resurgence to his career (maybe I'll stop with all the Billups comparisons :D).

Gritz
05-16-2012, 01:46 AM
he loves jacking up shots too much to be an efficient point

GiantsSwaGG
05-16-2012, 01:52 AM
He's a chucker...he won't make a good PG

popo85
05-16-2012, 01:53 AM
The 1st rd performance cost him a few mill, no way he plays the PG.

Fresno
05-16-2012, 01:55 AM
I always thought he was better off modeling his game after a Chauncey Billups than a Kobe Bryant. I still believe he'd be better off as a pg. He'd have great size and definitely has the handles. He just needs to be a bit more willing of a passer... Granted, he never really had the role of keys to the offense. I'd like to see a team take a chance on him with that role; I think we could see a Billups like resurgence to his career (maybe I'll stop with all the Billups comparisons :D).

Chauncey wasn't a great PG but he brought clutch shots and leadership on the floor.

Im not sure if Mayo can bring that level of leadership to be a true floor general.

kblo247
05-16-2012, 02:12 AM
He could be a Ron Harper type if he chose to take the role change seriously. His size is more made to defend PG's as well. He doesn't have to be the 10 assist or killer crossover guy, just a guy who controls tempo, puts effort into staying in front of the lead gurd using his size and length advantage, and then picking his shots with his slight size advantage. It could be a really smart move for him,as he he is going backwards at SG from his first two years

Raph12
05-16-2012, 02:15 AM
He'd make a good PG on a team like the Lakers or another triangle-like offense... He's not great at creating for others, but he can guard the position and handles the ball well.

thekmp211
05-16-2012, 02:17 AM
what the

b@llhog24
05-16-2012, 03:26 AM
He tried it before and iirc he turned the ball over too much. That being said he could prove to be a capable pg as long as he's playing next to a playmaking wing (Harden, Iggy).

Hellcrooner
05-16-2012, 03:35 AM
translation to english= " I want to have the ball in every possesion and shoot as much as i want, im not happy playing off the ball and having to wait for gay or randolph to pass it to me, because its more probable to find ice in hell than that happening"

TrueFan420
05-16-2012, 03:37 AM
translation to english= " I want to have the ball in every possesion and shoot as much as i want, im not happy playing off the ball and having to wait for gay or randolph to pass it to me, because its more probable to find ice in hell than that happening"

hahahhaah i was thinking something along those lines too.

never like mayo always thought he was overrated coming out of college

hgtiger32
05-16-2012, 04:05 AM
I actually think that he could be a good PG. Similar to Skip Bayless saying Harden should be "PG" while Westbrook be the "SG".

LTBaByyy
05-16-2012, 04:40 AM
If we miss out on D Will, I wouldn't mind giving him a chance, as long as we draft a defensive athletic 2 guard with our #17 pick (Ross from Washington)

theheatles
05-16-2012, 08:23 AM
hmm, prob a future bobcat

Lindystud36
05-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I am praying he makes the move to brooklyn

YoungOne
05-16-2012, 08:51 AM
another unefficient scoring guard.

corky831
05-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Mayo sucks....he's been in decline the past 2 yrs....he's all about himself

Greet
05-16-2012, 09:05 AM
he loves jacking up shots too much to be an efficient point

See: Derrick Rose

Oh wait, you said efficient point, nvm.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Mayo isn't a PG, and can not play PG. He is not worth the $7-10 million he is looking for.

Never got the hype on the guy coming into the draft. He is a starting caliber SG, but is worth no more then $5-7 million per year currently.

YoungOne
05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
I'll take Brandon Rush over him.

BKLYNpigeon
05-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Mayo sucks....he's been in decline the past 2 yrs....he's all about himself

he's was pretty good last season in the playoffs beating the spurs.

BKLYNpigeon
05-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Forget about the numbers. Assists dont make you a PG. its about basketball IQ, awareness and controlling the flow of the game.

Mayo could convert to PG, he has all the tools. He just needs a chance and a change of scenery. Monta Ellis did pretty well at PG until the Warriors drafted Curry.

Hawkeye15
05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Forget about the numbers. Assists dont make you a PG. its about basketball IQ, awareness and controlling the flow of the game.

Mayo could convert to PG, he has all the tools. He just needs a chance and a change of scenery. Monta Ellis did pretty well at PG until the Warriors drafted Curry.

He doesn't have a good PG skillset. He doesn't have half the speed Ellis did when he played PG, and Mayo would struggle to stay in front of most PG's on defense.

He is an undersized SG. Period. That is his spot. Can he fill in for a team that may have a shaky or injured PG situation for a little bit? Sure. But you don't want him running point for 82 games.

Corey
05-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Poor man's Eric Gordon.

He'll control a ball a lot, but if he's your starting point guard, you're in trouble.

Chronz
05-16-2012, 10:41 AM

Ironically his stats are actually superior when Z-Bo is on the court. He does get more shots off when Marc is out there but he doesnt score nearly as effectively.

Its actually Mike Conley/Gay who hurt his production the most. But its cute that you try to blame people without knowing the facts, as usual.

Chronz
05-16-2012, 10:42 AM

No thanks, Ill keep considering assists and passing efficiency thank you very much.

thekmp211
05-16-2012, 11:33 AM
mayo couldn't even play pg effectively in the summer league. JR smith has all the tools to be kobe bryant, but he's jr smith. mayo and kevin love have been in the league for the same amount of time, and were even traded for each other (mchales last, ghasping laugh). one has improved tremendously, the other is oj mayo. it says something past a point.

king4day
05-16-2012, 11:37 AM
I think Phoenix will take a flyer on him to see if there's a fit.

Baller1
05-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I think Mayo is trash to be honest. Can't believe he was swapped for K Love.

willabeast77
05-16-2012, 12:56 PM
I could see him being a shoot first pg. His game reminds me a little of Kyrie Irving. Mayo just needs the right system- Memphis needs to get rid of him, they're wasting his talents.

Corey
05-16-2012, 01:15 PM
I could see him being a shoot first pg. His game reminds me a little of Kyrie Irving. Mayo just needs the right system- Memphis needs to get rid of him, they're wasting his talents.
You just insulted the hell out of Kyrie

thekmp211
05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jul/12/experience-for-mayo-is-the-point/

we've been to this rodeo. it's also funny to read some of the fan comments at the time regarding conley vs. mayo. it's laughable now, and even more so when you see some people saying they expected mayo to usurp the starting role from conley! lmao!

THE MTL
05-16-2012, 01:33 PM
I feel like moving from Memphis will be good for his career. OJ Mayo should be a 20+ppg scorer by now.

rapjuicer06
05-16-2012, 02:08 PM
I like Mayo. I think he has a lot of talent, just can't reach it being the 4th or 5th option at times. I could see him florish in a Harden type role

Hellcrooner
05-16-2012, 02:12 PM
You just insulted the hell out of Kyrie

Not really, Mayo could score more points with less assists in teh cavs, team record would be similar.

Hellcrooner
05-16-2012, 02:13 PM
I feel like moving from Memphis will be good for his career. OJ Mayo should be a 20+ppg scorer by now.

He will most definelty get a Good offer from Wolves, who need a sg that can score.

Chronz
05-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Not really, Mayo could score more points with less assists in teh cavs, team record would be similar.

You havent seen Kyrie close games have you

Hellcrooner
05-16-2012, 02:18 PM
You havent seen Kyrie close games have you

games vs wolves, lakers, grizz and raptors.

Im not impressed, he is the umptenth Shooting Point Guard.

A bit less selfish than others tough.

Sorry but for me a pg is Magic, Payton, Kidd, nash , mark price, calderon , rubio etc . Pass first.

JoeyDubb23
05-16-2012, 02:29 PM
He wants to be westbrook

Chronz
05-16-2012, 02:36 PM
games vs wolves, lakers, grizz and raptors.

Im not impressed, he is the umptenth Shooting Point Guard.
Name a PG who put up the numbers he did in the 4th, how can you not be impressed with a guy who basically becomes a superstar in the 4th. Im guessing your not impressed by anyone.

A bit less selfish than others tough.

Sorry but for me a pg is Magic, Payton, Kidd, nash , mark price, calderon , rubio etc . Pass first.
Those are ALL wildly different PG, I mean you named Payton who is more of a scorer than he was a distributor, then you named Kidd who couldnt score effectively but led his team in scoring, then you named Calderon who can shoot but cant penetrate, and Rubio who just flat out sucks at scoring. Im not seeing how Kyrie isnt among those names listed.

thekmp211
05-16-2012, 02:39 PM
yeah irving already had the skill and poise to finish games this year, and against good teams. it's pretty wild.

in THAT regard, he is already elite. and that is why people are so impressed. b/c hall of fame players struggle with that ability. it, along with his advanced skill, denote how special he is as a competitor. very much like cp3 in that regard.

Hellcrooner
05-16-2012, 02:52 PM
Name a PG who put up the numbers he did in the 4th, how can you not be impressed with a guy who basically becomes a superstar in the 4th. Im guessing your not impressed by anyone.

Those are ALL wildly different PG, I mean you named Payton who is more of a scorer than he was a distributor, then you named Kidd who couldnt score effectively but led his team in scoring, then you named Calderon who can shoot but cant penetrate, and Rubio who just flat out sucks at scoring. Im not seeing how Kyrie isnt among those names listed.

Common denominator, High Iq, High Court vision, Pass first.

Second common denominator ( except Price, Magic, Jose) Defense.

Chronz
05-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Common denominator, High Iq, High Court vision, Pass first.
So then why isnt Irving on there?

Second common denominator ( except Price, Magic, Jose) Defense.

Defense should be expected from every player. Its a plus/negative regardless of the play type.

Hellcrooner
05-16-2012, 03:04 PM
So then why isnt Irving on there?

Defense should be expected from every player. Its a plus/negative regardless of the play type.

Not pass first for the moment ( but it can change because well basically he doesnt have who to pass yet).

SteveNash
05-16-2012, 06:46 PM
Hasn't this been said the past 5 years?

IndyRealist
05-16-2012, 08:10 PM
He wants to be a PG so he can choose to call his own number and pump up his boxscore. He's a step too slow to have any value in dribble penetration, doesn't see the court well, and doesn't shoot well enough to make teams honor his shot. This has disaster written all over it.

mdm692
05-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Better yet he should be the starting SG for the Suns :D. He would easily average 20ppg

bmd1101
05-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Didn't they try to make him a PG when he came into the leauge?

eibbor
05-16-2012, 08:55 PM
He won't be a good pg or sg. Has always been all hype. He might as well wanna play center... He'd suck there too lol

MrfadeawayJB
05-16-2012, 09:05 PM
He will struggle at the pg position imo. He has decent handles but the reason he struggled in the post season is because he had small spunky pg's like Bledsoe, Paul, and Williams eat him alive. He is a 2 guard in the nba, but he needs to start somewhere to be more effective

sunsfan88
05-16-2012, 09:53 PM
If Westbrook can be a PG, then I dont understand why Mayo can't be one.

eibbor
05-16-2012, 10:06 PM
If Westbrook can be a PG, then I dont understand why Mayo can't be one.

Possibly basketball IQ, skill level, athletic ability and obviously work ethic... If those count.

I think Westbrook would be a fine sg and I'm not trying to sound like I think he's great at pg, but Mayo's name shouldn't even be spoke in the same breath as Westbrook. Worlds away.

Fresno
05-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Possibly basketball IQ, skill level, athletic ability and obviously work ethic... If those count.

I think Westbrook would be a fine sg and I'm not trying to sound like I think he's great at pg, but Mayo's name shouldn't even be spoke in the same breath as Westbrook. Worlds away.

Russell Westbrook?

I think you're talking about another PG who has those attributes.

Russell Westbrook is one of the least efficient overall PG's in the NBA because he's nothing more than an Elite athlete who excels in a "system"(if you want to even call it that) where he can shoot as much as he wants. OKC will never win a Championship with Westbrook running their offense, and ultimately it will be the primary reason for Scott Brooks getting fired in the near future.

You're calling Mayo "all hype" based on the stuff he came with in the HS ranks. Yes, Mayo played PG all the way up until USC. He came with all of the hype because he put together one of the best HS careers of the 2000's and there was never a moment where he didn't live up to his reputation.

I think its silly he wants to become a PG on the NBA level, but talent/basketball IQ/work ethic are not a question at all with Mayo. To say he sucks is just plain stupid. Hes in a situation where they don't need him, but the Grizzlies management squandered opportunities to trade him.

Alayla
05-16-2012, 10:31 PM
why the hate? i say let him try it people bring up his assits and abilty to create but thats never been his role cant be much wrose then lou Williams is at playing point

Hawkeye15
05-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Russell Westbrook?

Russell Westbrook is one of the least efficient overall PG's in the NBA because he's nothing more than an Elite athlete who excels in a "system"(if you want to even call it that) where he can shoot as much as he wants. OKC will never win a Championship with Westbrook running their offense, and ultimately it will be the primary reason for Scott Brooks getting fired in the near future.

You're calling Mayo "all hype" based on the stuff he came with in the HS ranks. Yes, Mayo played PG all the way up until USC. He came with all of the hype because he put together one of the best HS careers of the 2000's and there was never a moment where he didn't live up to his reputation.

I think its silly he wants to become a PG on the NBA level, but talent/basketball IQ/work ethic are not a question at all with Mayo. To say he sucks is just plain stupid. Hes in a situation where they don't need him, but the Grizzlies management squandered opportunities to trade him.

Long story short, Mayo doesn't have one bit of Westbrook's speed and explosiveness with the ball, nor the midrange game. Nor the assist ratios.

Mayo is an undersized SG who can carve a niche as a starter when he is #4 in shots, or a 6th man for a playoff team and contend for a 6th man of the year award down the line.

Mayo's athletic ability and skillset limitations are what make him a bad fit at PG, I agree it isn't IQ or work ethic.

The Doctor
05-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Mayo cannot and will not become a PG.

eibbor
05-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Russell Westbrook?

I'd agree with you if you weren't completely wrong.

thekmp211
05-17-2012, 12:50 AM
Russell Westbrook?

um. well the fact that OJ mayo was drafted immediately before russell westbrook might give you pause, and russy was honestly a big reach at that spot based on his college resume.

OJ mayo had a hype machine coming into the NBA. he got every shot to be the man to build around. one could argue his best season was his rookie season.

westbrook had to improve drastically not to not just become a good NBA player, but become a good enough ball handler and decision maker and shooter to play the point out of necessity. he was projected as a defensive minded shooting guard once upon a time.

i think you may have this backwards.

Fresno
05-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Long story short, Mayo doesn't have one bit of Westbrook's speed and explosiveness with the ball, nor the midrange game. Nor the assist ratios.
Athletically he is not on par but Westbrook, but few PG's in the NBA are outside of Rose & Wall. Just from the explosiveness standpoint.

But Mayo does have a better mid-range game compared to Westbrook throughout their careers.

He shot 41% on mid-range jumpshots in his 2nd season when he was featured as a #2 option for the Grizzlies, this was on 300+ attempts. Since then he's not been utilized as much on the Grizzlies and his FG% has suffered. Westbrook improved his jumper this season and shot 42% on those shots, but over 1/2 of his shots come via isolations or off the pick & roll because he's playing at PG, unlike Mayo.

I mentioned that I think its crazy that Mayo wants to move to the PG position, but Westbrook is probably an influence. Despite his All Star status Westbrook had the 2nd worst Assist/Turnover ratio of all PG's in the NBA. Now we haven't seen Mayo actually run a team but he'd have to put up even worse numbers than Westbrook, and then this PG experiment would be short-lived anyways.

Mayo is an undersized SG who can carve a niche as a starter when he is #4 in shots, or a 6th man for a playoff team and contend for a 6th man of the year award down the line.

Mayo's athletic ability and skillset limitations are what make him a bad fit at PG, I agree it isn't IQ or work ethic.
I think he's a SG who is meant to be a star of a team just from the way he plays.

Memphis didn't give him a chance to continue improving on his 2nd year numbers because they gave so much money to Conley/Gay/Randolph in which they had to feature them in their offense.

Fresno
05-17-2012, 01:30 AM
um. well the fact that OJ mayo was drafted immediately before russell westbrook might give you pause, and russy was honestly a big reach at that spot based on his college resume.

OJ mayo had a hype machine coming into the NBA. he got every shot to be the man to build around. one could argue his best season was his rookie season.

Thats not the case. He only got 2 seasons, and he was clearly better than Westbrook after those first 2 years in the NBA. But, unlike OKC, Memphis wasn't trying to let Mayo develop into their #1 option in Year 3. They already had their #1 option in Randolph and paid Rudy Gay like one before Mayo even started his 3rd season.

What else is there for him to do?

westbrook had to improve drastically not to not just become a good NBA player, but become a good enough ball handler and decision maker and shooter to play the point out of necessity. he was projected as a defensive minded shooting guard once upon a time.

He still put up the 2nd worst A/T ratios in the NBA this season for a PG, 5th in the league in Turnovers per game.

Any other "starting" PG who put up those numbers would be getting replaced and deservingly so. But all of this is excused because OKC has cast their lot with Westbrook as a scoring PG in a non-traditional offensive system. They're giving him the ability to do what he wants and paying him like a Franchise player too.

Westbrook may have surprised people by being able to be a full-time NBA PG, but its because OKC has invested in him. I think he got exposed this season with his decision making without Eric Maynor being able to sub in for him.

thekmp211
05-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Thats not the case. He only got 2 seasons, and he was clearly better than Westbrook after those first 2 years in the NBA. But, unlike OKC, Memphis wasn't trying to let Mayo develop into their #1 option in Year 3. They already had their #1 option in Randolph and paid Rudy Gay like one before Mayo even started his 3rd season.

What else is there for him to do?

He still put up the 2nd worst A/T ratios in the NBA this season for a PG, 5th in the league in Turnovers per game.

Any other "starting" PG who put up those numbers would be getting replaced and deservingly so. But all of this is excused because OKC has cast their lot with Westbrook as a scoring PG in a non-traditional offensive system. They're giving him the ability to do what he wants and paying him like a Franchise player too.

Westbrook may have surprised people by being able to be a full-time NBA PG, but its because OKC has invested in him. I think he got exposed this season with his decision making without Eric Maynor being able to sub in for him.

so...one guy started better and one started worse. for two not great teams.

the guy who got better, a lot better, is now a key player on a championship contender. flawed, certainly, but that last statement is hard to argue against.

the guy who got worse, started as a ROY candidate. he was arguably the best option on his team. by year three, a career outcast (z-bo, remember his whole life before memphis) was suddenly a better option than mr. hype machine.

memphis STILL could use a more consistent mayo. but how can you tell me that the second guy is in any way better or more trust worthy than the first? it's clear as day. almost everyone on memphis has gotten better besides mayo.

westbrook is walking the walk, right now.