PDA

View Full Version : blake griffin the next amare?

dc5jdm
05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Is blake slowly becoming the next amare? I think he could be a 1st option but more like a Joe Johnson not enough to win. What do u think? And is Paul making him look better than what he really is?

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
BG is not the next Amare, he's the first BG.

BG is a far better rebounder than Amare (though Amare looked like a better rebounder when he was in a Suns uniform). I think BG has more energy on defence, but still needs to grow a bit. As for offence, I remember watching Amare with the Suns, he has so much, could face up to the basket, go off the dribble, post up, work the pick and roll... move with out the ball... he really was a complete offensive player. I don't see Griffen with that many offensive moves. He's got to develope his O game.

And CP3 makes EVERYBODY look better than they are... just like Nash did for Amare ;-)

LakersIn5
05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
can be plus the hype

LakersIn5
05-15-2012, 06:40 PM

ben gordon is the first BG

haggis
05-15-2012, 06:42 PM
BG is not the next Amare, he's the first BG

Well, you're both wrong. (http://i.imgur.com/RScrB.gif)

kylem4711
05-15-2012, 06:43 PM
slowly? this is his second year.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 06:45 PM

lol.. point well made! I stand corrected!

Chronz
05-15-2012, 06:50 PM
No, I was hoping he would develop Amares instincts and feed off of CP3 but he still has sticky hands and no jumper to offset that..

As for CP3 making him better, I was hoping he would but it seems Blake helps CP3's game more than CP3 helps his, again because he doesnt look to immediately attack. What he does do is open the game up for shooters and draw attention away from the ball handler.

Hes getting better but hes got a long way to go before he gets to Amares level.

dc5jdm
05-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Does Griffin workout with an ex NBA player? For ex. Karl Malone, olajuwon, or any ? I think that could take his game to the next level.

GiantsSwaGG
05-15-2012, 06:54 PM
He's not even close to the PHX Amare

KnicksPain
05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
Well, you're both wrong. (http://i.imgur.com/RScrB.gif)

Lmao whodie

I hope for the sake of basketball Blake Griffin isnt the defender Amare is and he already rebounds way better.

On offense Blake will never blow by people like Amare in his prime off the dribble but Blakes ball handle is way better and he seamlessly goes to the post out of his dribble which bodes well for him as a go to scorer.

Blakes post game is pretty good already as far as foot work but he needs that jumper if he wants to score with the ease of Amare in his prime. Also he needs to knock down the free throws.

dc5jdm
05-15-2012, 07:01 PM
I agree he's not close to amare of phx, I was talking about amare of now

5ass
05-15-2012, 07:20 PM
No hes a better passer, rebounder, and defender than amare.
He just needs to work on his jump shot and FT shooting and improve his defense and he'll be one of the best players in the game. If he can learn to knock down the midrange J consistently, CP3 will make him look even better.

smith&wesson
05-15-2012, 07:22 PM

BG is a far better rebounder than Amare (though Amare looked like a better rebounder when he was in a Suns uniform). I think BG has more energy on defence, but still needs to grow a bit. As for offence, I remember watching Amare with the Suns, he has so much, could face up to the basket, go off the dribble, post up, work the pick and roll... move with out the ball... he really was a complete offensive player. I don't see Griffen with that many offensive moves. He's got to develope his O game.

And CP3 makes EVERYBODY look better than they are... just like Nash did for Amare ;-)

good post! i agree

thekmp211
05-15-2012, 07:29 PM
presumably prime amare right? no. although stat was very raw once upon a time so you never know.

shawn kemp comes to mind, but blakes his own dude. prime amare was doo-dooing on tim duncan in the playoffs, it was something to behold.

RonE Coleman
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Lol everyone does realize Amares a 6x All star and a 5x All NBA player right? Because he had a bad year everyones making it seem like he's a scrub.... Blake griffin is NO WHERE near the Amare that played in Phoenix.

xxplayerxx23
05-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Amare of last year> BG. Griffen is young but needs to get some post moves and a 12 to 15 foot jumper or when hes 30 He will prob be irrelvent

RonE Coleman
05-15-2012, 07:47 PM
No hes a better passer, rebounder, and defender than amare.
He just needs to work on his jump shot and FT shooting and improve his defense and he'll be one of the best players in the game. If he can learn to knock down the midrange J consistently, CP3 will make him look even better.

Spoken like a true homer... Basically you just said he needs to improve his entire game and then hell be a top player in the game??? The same could be said for tons of other players. He's not even a top 5 power forward so relax

ChiSox219
05-15-2012, 08:01 PM
As for CP3 making him better, I was hoping he would but it seems Blake helps CP3's game more than CP3 helps his, again because he doesnt look to immediately attack. What he does do is open the game up for shooters and draw attention away from the ball handler.

so true

HouRealCoach
05-15-2012, 08:24 PM
What were Griffin's rookie numbers? They were better than Amare's when he had Steve Nash in a run & gun system

xxplayerxx23
05-15-2012, 08:28 PM
What were Griffin's rookie numbers? They were better than Amare's when he had Steve Nash in a run & gun system

but griffen was the only option last year, Amare was an absolute beast up until this year, even this year he wasnt horrible, 18 and 8 I think

Jumi
05-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Amare isn't as bad as some people make him out to be! I don't understand the analysis of this board sometimes. I can't compare him to BG because Blake can make the improvements to his game that would make him a complete low post player. I would compare him to D12 with all the over the rim scoring in his first few seasons. I think he will get better. Dwight needs to improve as well. More "Hakeem and Shaq Big Man Camp" for the both of them!

John Walls Era
05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
He averages 11.5 reb in 2 years. Amare has never reached double digit rebounding in his life. That alone makes him NOT the next Amare. He at least attacks the boards and shows some hustle (diving whether it be for the ball or flopping).

xxplayerxx23
05-15-2012, 08:47 PM
He averages 11.5 reb in 2 years. Amare has never reached double digit rebounding in his life. That alone makes him NOT the next Amare. He at least attacks the boards and shows some hustle (diving whether it be for the ball or flopping).

I agree he is a way better rebounder, but that doesnt mean he is better then amare, Amare is on the way down, but 18 and 8 is no scrub, Plus last year his 25 and 9 was pretty good , Griffen will be on his way down later in his career without a post game and a consistant jumper

thekmp211
05-15-2012, 10:34 PM
let's say amare's best year was 2004-5. PER of 26.6, 25.9/8.9 per game averages with a TS% of 61%.

his best playoff performances came 2 years after, where he was redonkulous with a 29.6 PER and led the playoffs with a .269 win share ... in 10 games. i'd actually argue that 04-05 was better because despite slightly worse metrics, his per game numbers were incredible especially against duncan and the spurs.

stat has posted 6 seasons with a TS% of over 60, denoting how damn good he was at scoring in the paint and at the line, the latter being a true luxury for big men.

it's hard to say griffin will ever reach that level of offensive production or that you could blame him if he didn't. prime STAT was an absurd scorer, so much so that griffins ability to rebound and pass just don't matter in this regard.

again i don't think it's the appropriate player comp. but griffin will have to become a much, much better shooter to reach a prime-stoudemire level. the gap in offense is too severe.

Swashcuff
05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree he is a way better rebounder, but that doesnt mean he is better then amare, Amare is on the way down, but 18 and 8 is no scrub, Plus last year his 25 and 9 was pretty good , Griffen will be on his way down later in his career without a post game and a consistant jumper

Wait are you saying that current Amar'e is better than current Blake?

Also as for a post game and a consistent jumper you do know that that was the very same said about Amar'e right? Did Amar'e prove the naysayers wrong? So why can't Blake do the very same.

Blake Griffin's work ethic and dedication to his craft alone should make anyone believe that he's going to do his best to work on all the weak spots in his game. Blake is more likely to improve his post game, D and jumper than not.

Swashcuff
05-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Lol everyone does realize Amares a 6x All star and a 5x All NBA player right? Because he had a bad year everyones making it seem like he's a scrub.... Blake griffin is NO WHERE near the Amare that played in Phoenix.

The only thing that version of Amar'e is better than Blake in is as a scorer and quite frankly Blake may never reach that level (not in terms of skill set but in terms of volume+efficiency) but he's better than Amar'e in damn near every aspect of basketball. To say that in just his 2nd year he is NO WHERE near PRIME Amar'e extremely unfair.

Swashcuff
05-15-2012, 10:50 PM
let's say amare's best year was 2004-5. PER of 26.6, 25.9/8.9 per game averages with a TS% of 61%.

his best playoff performances came 2 years after, where he was redonkulous with a 29.6 PER and led the playoffs with a .269 win share ... in 10 games. i'd actually argue that 04-05 was better because despite slightly worse metrics, his per game numbers were incredible especially against duncan and the spurs.

stat has posted 6 seasons with a TS% of over 60, denoting how damn good he was at scoring in the paint and at the line, the latter being a true luxury for big men.

it's hard to say griffin will ever reach that level of offensive production or that you could blame him if he didn't. prime STAT was an absurd scorer, so much so that griffins ability to rebound and pass just don't matter in this regard.

again i don't think it's the appropriate player comp. but griffin will have to become a much, much better shooter to reach a prime-stoudemire level. the gap in offense is too severe.

See this (http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=655883) thread for all you need to know of a prime Stoudemire's offensive prowess.

thekmp211
05-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Wait are you saying that current Amar'e is better than current Blake?

Also as for a post game and a consistent jumper you do know that that was the very same said about Amar'e right? Did Amar'e prove the naysayers wrong? So why can't Blake do the very same.

Blake Griffin's work ethic and dedication to his craft alone should make anyone believe that he's going to do his best to work on all the weak spots in his game. Blake is more likely to improve his post game, D and jumper than not.

this x100. this is why i enjoy your posts swashcuff. you get the implications and limitations of stats. amare was as raw as it gets coming out of high school only to become one of the more polished offensive players at his position maybe ever at his best.

re: that thread idk how to rank him career wise yet. he may have another run of better play in him. if he continues down this seasons road... he may be the PF t-mac of our generation. the talent of an all-time great that just got worn down by some really lousy injuries. but i'm right with you on his peak.

his early career stats would not have implied that growth. those things rely on exactly what you said, work ethic and dedication. things you cannot project, only observe and of course encourage. that said, blake has a ways to go.

RonE Coleman
05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
The only thing that version of Amar'e is better than Blake in is as a scorer and quite frankly Blake may never reach that level (not in terms of skill set but in terms of volume+efficiency) but he's better than Amar'e in damn near every aspect of basketball. To say that in just his 2nd year he is NO WHERE near PRIME Amar'e extremely unfair.

He is a better rebounder then Amare but until he develops a jumpshot or some kind of offensive game outside of dunking he will not even be close... They were essentially the same player at this point in there careers but Amare could hit the mid range shot... and both are Awful defenders lol

BKLYNpigeon
05-15-2012, 11:18 PM
NO, because Amare cant jump over cars.

Swashcuff
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
He is a better rebounder then Amare but until he develops a jumpshot or some kind of offensive game outside of dunking he will not even be close... They were essentially the same player at this point in there careers but Amare could hit the mid range shot... and both are Awful defenders lol

Except Blake Griffin is a better passer and ball handler right?

Also from 16ft outwards Amar'e shot 30.1% on his jumpers in his 2nd season in the league. Do you want to know what Blake shot from that same distance on his jumpers this season? 37.6%.

In Amar'e 3rd season with the addition of Nash he improved on that number SIGNIFICANTLY however. He developed his game just as every NBA player does just as Blake Griffin is doing and is going to continue doing.

BKLYNpigeon
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Griffin is a GREATER Flopper then Amare ever was.

RonE Coleman
05-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Except Blake Griffin is a better passer and ball handler right?

Also from 16ft outwards Amar'e shot 30.1% on his jumpers in his 2nd season in the league. Do you want to know what Blake shot from that same distance on his jumpers this season? 37.6%.

In Amar'e 3rd season with the addition of Nash he improved on that number SIGNIFICANTLY however. He developed his game just as every NBA player does just as Blake Griffin is doing and is going to continue doing.

Come on man... the Eye Test does not lie... Blake has zero offensive game outside of dunking... and when he hits a mid range shot its because no one comes out to guard him because he is not efficient from there... Same thing as the Rondo treatment and in addition Amare was 20 years old in his second year and came straight out of high school so he had an excuse for being raw...

thekmp211
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM
Come on man... the Eye Test does not lie... Blake has zero offensive game outside of dunking... and when he hits a mid range shot its because no one comes out to guard him because he is not efficient from there... Same thing as the Rondo treatment and in addition Amare was 20 years old in his second year and came straight out of high school so he had an excuse for being raw...

are your eyes open? deandre jordan is a guy who can't do anything but dunk. compare the stats.

blake is raw. there's a difference. he really has the foundation to be good at a ton of things if it all works out. as swash showed his jumper has improved this year, even if it's still ugly. it's undoubtedly better and CP3 getting him clean looks helps too.

he can handle the ball very well for his size. sorta like a shorter young shaq. he ran a fast break --> layup this evening against TD. and he is a phenomenal and willing passer.

in the post he has a number of raw moves. his best are simple turnaround layups and a raw but deceptively good up and under move. he would do really well to develop a hook shot over each shoulder to create space against bigger defenders.

he has plenty of offensive game. it's just not nearly there yet.

Swashcuff
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM

Firstly the eye test almost ALWAYS lies. Your eyes tell you what you want to see and what you're looking for not whats fact.

My eyes tell me Halle Berry is the hottest woman in Hollywood do your eyes tell you the same? If not who's eye test is correct and who's isn't?

What I'm bringing to the table are the facts and the fact is that Blake is more capable of making those jumpers in his 2nd season than Amar'e was. If you think Blake is getting the Rondo treatment what do you think Amar'e got? In his first 3 seasons (well 2 and a half) the trend of thought with Amar'e was not to let him hurt you inside with his finishing ability. Matter of a fact in his first couple seasons Amar'e was given even less attention on D when it came to his jumpers.

Now we're going to use the excuse of Amar'e being raw? That wasn't your argument earlier why the change of tune?

RonE Coleman
05-15-2012, 11:44 PM
Firstly the eye test almost ALWAYS lies. Your eyes tell you what you want to see and what you're looking for not whats fact.

My eyes tell me Halle Berry is the hottest woman in Hollywood do your eyes tell you the same? If not who's eye test is correct and who's isn't?

What I'm bringing to the table are the facts and the fact is that Blake is more capable of making those jumpers in his 2nd season than Amar'e was. If you think Blake is getting the Rondo treatment what do you think Amar'e got? In his first 3 seasons (well 2 and a half) the trend of thought with Amar'e was not to let him hurt you inside with his finishing ability. Matter of a fact in his first couple seasons Amar'e was given even less attention on D when it came to his jumpers.

Now we're going to use the excuse of Amar'e being raw? That wasn't your argument earlier why the change of tune?

Actually your argument is flawed? Halle Berry being the hottest woman is subjective to what you find attractive. A player not being able to do things or being able to do things is not really subjective at all. And no I'm not changing my tune I watched Amare in his Phoenix days and my eyes tell me he was much better then Blake is now. Your not going to convince me otherwise... And if were talking about career wise Blake has a LONG way to go if he wants to be compared to Amare. We live in a what have you done for me lately world and quite frankly Amare had a terrible year and still put up respectable numbers so peoples opinion of him is at a all time low, but if the player from the first half of last year returns everyone will jump back on the bandwagon.

Swashcuff
05-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Actually your argument is flawed? Halle Berry being the hottest woman is subjective to what you find attractive. A player not being able to do things or being able to do things is not really subjective at all. And no I'm not changing my tune I watched Amare in his Phoenix days and my eyes tell me he was much better then Blake is now. Your not going to convince me otherwise... And if were talking about career wise Blake has a LONG way to go if he wants to be compared to Amare. We live in a what have you done for me lately world and quite frankly Amare had a terrible year and still put up respectable numbers so peoples opinion of him is at a all time low, but if the player from the first half of last year returns everyone will jump back on the bandwagon.

Good luck with your eye test bro I'm going to continue to be holistic and judge each player based on every variable not just what I see. Your eyes told you that Amar'e was a better mid range shooter than Blake was in thier 2nd year but I proved that theory wrong.

In case you didn't know I was the person who started a thread that Amar'e was a top 15 PF (something which I believe) of all time. I'm no bandwagonist and I'm not saying Blake is on prime Amar'e level. All I'm saying is that you're acting as if Blake doesn't have it in him to get on that level.

Chronz
05-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Well said Swash

mdm692
05-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Blake wishes he could be half the finisher amare was in his prime phx days. Aside from his highlight dunks and horrible flops he has nothing in his offensive arsenal.

RonE Coleman
05-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Well said Swash

Knew you'd be in here to dick ride at some point

popo85
05-16-2012, 12:16 AM
Both are not well defenders, rebounding goes to Griffin but Amare has way more offensive tools and a jumper.

SpaceJamJordans
05-16-2012, 12:26 AM
wrong wrong wrong wrong

Donuts365
05-16-2012, 12:26 AM

post up? stop

SpaceJamJordans
05-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Griffin is a GREATER Flopper then Amare ever was.

yeah and Griffin gets hit more than Amare

Jarvo
05-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Until he learns how to shoot and play better D, He is overrated to me.

Punk
05-16-2012, 12:37 AM
He isn't close to being a new Amare. Amare would have eaten Duncan alive if this was 2005. Blake is so raw, he is a product of Chris Paul, so he either needs to make that jumpshot 100% consistent or work on his post moves because he isn't going to look good at all in the playoffs if he goes up with the same basic post moves and looking to draw fouls.

Blake needs to watch some tape of Barkley, Shawn Kemp and Amare to really clean up his game.

Swashcuff
05-16-2012, 12:45 AM
He isn't close to being a new Amare. Amare would have eaten Duncan alive if this was 2005. Blake is so raw, he is a product of Chris Paul, so he either needs to make that jumpshot 100% consistent or work on his post moves because he isn't going to look good at all in the playoffs if he goes up with the same basic post moves and looking to draw fouls.

Blake needs to watch some tape of Barkley, Shawn Kemp and Amare to really clean up his game.

Did you seriously just call Blake Griffin a product of Paul when he showed last season that he was quite capable offensively becoming the first rookie PF in league history to average 22, 12 and 3 when it's a proven fact that unless Amar'e has played with a pass first PG he isn't going to be anywhere near his best offensively.

You MUST be mistaken.

blastmasta26
05-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Griffin's a far superior rebounder, and a slightly better athlete than Amare in his prime. He's a little raw offensively, but he's capable of handling the ball and can still score big without a huge arsenal of offensive moves. The similarities lie in their athleticism and defensive deficiencies, but otherwise Griffin is a different player.

Chronz
05-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Knew you'd be in here to dick ride at some point
Knew you would rely on insults rather than any semblance of intellectual thought process.

Prove it troll, why didnt you quote the post where I said Amare was better in his PHX days. Oh wait, because that would mean you cant say Im dick riding. LMFAO your pitiful

Mr_Amaziing
05-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Naww Blake Griffin is Blake Griffin

Mr_Amaziing
05-16-2012, 01:27 AM
If any that can be compared to Blake then it should be Kemp

Gritz
05-16-2012, 01:28 AM
who wants to be the next Amare, wouldnt that make you allergic to defense?