PDA

View Full Version : NBPA seekes arbitrator ruling on Bird rights for waived playes. Could help out Knicks

spreadeagle
05-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Honestly ive never really understood what Bird rights are..and this all confuses me lol

The N.B.A. players union is asking an arbitrator to clarify certain free-agent rights in a case that could immeasurably benefit the Knicks this summer, according to several people involved in the process. The case concerns what are known as Bird rights, which allow a player to re-sign with his team without regard to the salary cap. The league contends those rights are lost when a player changes teams through waivers. The union is challenging that interpretation.

If the union prevails, the Knicks would be able to re-sign both Jeremy Lin and Steve Novak, their top free agents, despite cap constraints. They would also retain a $5 million salary slot — known as the midlevel exception — for use on another player, possibly J. R. Smith, who can opt out of his deal.

But if the union’s challenge fails, the Knicks will probably lose Novak and possibly Smith when free agency opens in July. And they will have little ability to sign a significant free agent like point guard Steve Nash once they re-sign Lin.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/15/sports/basketball/union-seeks-clarity-on-bird-rights-knicks-could-benefit.html?_r=2&smid=tw-share

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Hmm.... interesting. I'm not a Knicks fan exactly, more a fan of the game, but I would really like to see them keep this squad together and add a piece or two, see what they can do with a full year under the same coach and with everybody healthy at the same time. *figners crossed*

Punk
05-15-2012, 04:04 PM
This would be great for us to retain Lin and Novak without touching our exceptions but It's unlikely. It would help out alot of capped teams that find gems though the D-league.

So, pretty much we could keep Lin, Novak and try to go after Nash or Grant Hill. Use the LLE to sign Kenyon Martin or Reggie Evans for example.

Looks like we'll need a new starting SG with Iman out for awhile.

spreadeagle
05-15-2012, 04:08 PM
It also could help Clippers keep Billups and Portland keep Hickson

topdog
05-15-2012, 04:22 PM
It also could help Clippers keep Billups and Portland keep Hickson

This is the part I don't like.

It seems silly that you would count a player being waived and picked up by another team as "being with the team for 2 consecutive years."

Same with trades. I don't think either should count, but a traded player keeps his Bird Rights so I guess it would make sense that a waived player also keeps theirs - same contract.

Honestly ive never really understood what Bird rights are..and this all confuses me lol

Put simply: Bird Rights allow a player to be retained by their current club at an amount above the salary cap space the team has to offer essentially if the player has been under contract for 2 years (early Bird Rights = average league salary) or 3 years (full Bird Rights = up to max salary)

HouRealCoach
05-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Only time will tell

spreadeagle
05-15-2012, 04:35 PM

It seems silly that you would count a player being waived and picked up by another team as "being with the team for 2 consecutive years."

Same with trades. I don't think either should count, but a traded player keeps his Bird Rights so I guess it would make sense that a waived player also keeps theirs - same contract.

Put simply: Bird Rights allow a player to be retained by their current club at an amount above the salary cap space the team has to offer essentially if the player has been under contract for 2 years (early Bird Rights = average league salary) or 3 years (full Bird Rights = up to max salary)

cool, makes it clearer...salary cap n CBA stuff is the part of hoops that makes my head spin

LongIslandIcedZ
05-15-2012, 04:38 PM
It would certainly help the Knicks add some much needed depth with the MLE and the Bi-annual.

Pacerlive
05-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Under the old CBA a waived player lost Bird rights and I doubt this has changed.

And the difference with a traded player is that he can veto a trade to retain his Bird rights. A waive player can not do this. That will be the major sticking point in the Knicks argument.

meloman1592
05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
This will ultimately turn into a bash Knicks thread

spreadeagle
05-15-2012, 04:58 PM
This will ultimately turn into a bash Knicks thread

Trade Amare for Joe Johnson....ive had this idea in my head for days, but no one to tell it to...I feel better now

tcav701
05-15-2012, 05:05 PM
Melo doesnt mesh with Amare or Lin, I dont see how retaining all 3 make sense.

resigning everyone would be going the atlanta or memphis route, stuck in mediocreville.

They need to decided if the want to build around Melo, or be a pick and roll offense.

torocan
05-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Personally, I think the logic is sound.

If a traded player can retain their bird rights, then I have no issue with a player picked up off waivers on their previous contract retaining their bird rights. The previous teams had their shot, the next team should not be punished for the lack of proper talent evaluation by that player's previous team.

Though Lin and Novak are rarities, it could happen to any team. Pick up someone off waivers who turns out to have some talent, then lose them them right away to FA?

It doesn't seem fair to punish the teams that take the risk of giving low profile players a chance to succeed when it pays off. It would just give FO's yet another excuse not to give the hidden gems a chance to shine.

netsgiantsyanks
05-15-2012, 06:33 PM
this could help the nets retain gerald green. :nod:

netsgiantsyanks
05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
Melo doesnt mesh with Amare or Lin, I dont see how retaining all 3 make sense.

resigning everyone would be going the atlanta or memphis route, stuck in mediocreville.

They need to decided if the want to build around Melo, or be a pick and roll offense.

tell that to the knicks FO.

justinnum1
05-15-2012, 06:35 PM
They need an elite pg for amare, they should try to get nash.

beasted86
05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
The article is inaccurate on 1 point:

They would also retain a $5 million salary slot — known as the midlevel exception

The Knicks wouldn't have the $5M mid-level once they re-sign Lin and possibly Novak. They would have the $3M MLE.

AI
05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
If they retain his bird rights they could sign him to a deal without using the MLE.

RonE Coleman
05-15-2012, 07:48 PM
They need an elite pg for amare, they should try to get nash.

Pretty sure Ray Felton was not elite