PDA

View Full Version : ROY Voting: WTF?!?!!?

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Ok... so the ROY voting was released today:

http://www.nba.com/2012/news/05/15/rookie-of-the-year-release/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

Here's my beef. I realize that evaluating players is subjective at times, but THIS YEAR? Was there any other choice for number 1 than Irving?

According to the voting Kenneth Faried got on place vote, as did Iman Shumphert and Kawhi Leonard. And not only that, but one of the people who put those guys at one, put Irving as THIRD!!!!!

This should have been 120 first place votes for Irving. There isn't even an argument for any other player finishing first. Instead Irving got 117 first place votes, 2 second place votes and one third place vote? WTF?!?!?!! The NBA should find out who cast those votes and exclude them from voting in next year's ROY election.

My bet is there were local sports writers who were thorwing in homer votes, but seriously... we don't need people like that in the voting process...

KnicksTape
05-15-2012, 03:11 PM
Those other three made impacts on their team. Dont see the point of freaking out over 3 votes when he won no matter what.

LakersIn5
05-15-2012, 03:12 PM
thats just for fun like joe johnson getting a vote in the mvp race. lol

kdspurman
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
How about Josh Selby getting a 3rd place vote?

Rubio getting 2nd after missing a lot of the season was a little surprising to me too.

It is what it is at the end of the day. The right guy got the award, but they should look at who they have voting for sure

beasted86
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
I kind of agree you are looking to far into it... but, yeah, whoever voted Irving as 3rd doesn't have good judgement and shouldn't be voting because it's just insane.

Some of the other votes are just as loony... Josh Selby? C'mon son...

Corey
05-15-2012, 03:14 PM
The right player won.

Who cares how the votes went?

Huntey
05-15-2012, 03:15 PM
It's just smartass media members trying to show they are individual. It's the Skip Bayless' of the world who vote for anyone other than the obvious first choice.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Irving also had a huge impact on his team. The Cavs won two more games than they did last year, which may sound like a small impact, but then you have to consider that there were nearly 20 fewer games in which to improve upon last year's record. I'm sorry but the Nuggets did exactly what they did last year, got eliminated from the first round. The Spurs finished in the same position they finished last year: First. And NY did the same thing they did last year: Got eliminated in the first round. None of those teams made an improvement on last year's season with the addition of those rookies. Not only has Iriving helped his team to a huge turnaround, but he also put up the most impressive numbers. There is no reasonable argument that you could make for any rookie other than Irving. The only team that had a similar turnaround was the Wolves, who, after Rubio's injury (among other injuries to the team) slumped back into the kind of play they were putting in last year.

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 03:21 PM
the real disgrace is RUbio didnt get any first place votations.

Irving played jsut 6 more games.

And lets not get into Wolves record WITH RUbio and WITHOUTH Rubio.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 03:25 PM
Some of the other votes are just as loony... Josh Selby? C'mon son...

WTF is Josh Selby?!?!?!?! Obviously a sports writer from Memphis was throwing in a homer vote... Josh Selby? Seriously? 2.3 points per game? 34% FG shooting? I know stats don't tell you everything, but come on... Memphis actually took a step back... last year they were at least in the second round... this year (though they had a better record) they got knocked out first round. What is the basis of this kind of vote? SMMFH!!!

kdspurman
Irving also had a huge impact on his team. The Cavs won two more games than they did last year, which may sound like a small impact, but then you have to consider that there were nearly 20 fewer games in which to improve upon last year's record. I'm sorry but the Nuggets did exactly what they did last year, got eliminated from the first round. The Spurs finished in the same position they finished last year: First. And NY did the same thing they did last year: Got eliminated in the first round. None of those teams made an improvement on last year's season with the addition of those rookies. Not only has Iriving helped his team to a huge turnaround, but he also put up the most impressive numbers. There is no reasonable argument that you could make for any rookie other than Irving. The only team that had a similar turnaround was the Wolves, who, after Rubio's injury (among other injuries to the team) slumped back into the kind of play they were putting in last year.

Leonard has definitely contributed to the Spurs defensively. He knocks down the corner 3 and is a really good rebounder. To say they didn't make improvements cause of Leonard is a stretch, and not true at all. He's our best wing defender by far, which is a huge upgrade over RJ. I can't speak for the other teams, but your take on the Spurs is false

DerekRE_3

Just not enough votations to go around Crooner.

Huntey
05-15-2012, 03:26 PM

10 more games I think. In a shortened season that's quite a lot.

BKLYNpigeon
05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Who cares about these dumb awards. they dont mean ANYTHING in the long run. the only thing that is measured in the NBA are Championships.

Huntey
05-15-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh and he started 20 more games

Swashcuff
05-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Who cares about these dumb awards. they dont mean ANYTHING in the long run. the only thing that is measured in the NBA are Championships.

Robert Horry = G.O.A.T.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Leonard has definitely contributed to the Spurs defensively. He knocks down the corner 3 and is a really good rebounder. To say they didn't make improvements cause of Leonard is a stretch, and not true at all. He's our best wing defender by far, which is a huge upgrade over RJ. I can't speak for the other teams, but your take on the Spurs is false

My take on the Spurs is spot on. The finished in first last year, they finished first this year. Obviously there wasn't that much of an improvement since they finished in the same position last year. I'm not saying Leonard has made a contribution, but the Spurs were already the best team, so to say the contribution he made to the squad out weighs the imrpovements the Cavs made with Irving on the floor just doesn't compare, not to mention the HUGE difference in numbers. Leonard is a great player, but how much of that is him getting the play with Duncan and Parker and Ginobli, and getting coached by Pop. Irving doesn't have that kind of talent to play with. To try and make are argument that Leonard should get voted ahead of Irving is simply not an argument that could be made using reason. Does Leonard deserve a spot on the All-Rooki First Team? Yes, I would say so. Does he deserve to win ROY? No. There was a clear-cut choice this year and that was Irving. No matter what you say, the Spurs finished the season the same way they finished last season: First. They got a better first-round match up than they did last year, and plus last year they were playing with a couple of injuries, so they didn't do that well in the post season, but to suggest that the Spurs have made a bigger imrpovement from last season to this season than the Cavs have made with Irving just doesn't make any sense.

There is no reasonable argument that has Leonard finishing ahead of Irving for the ROY award.

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 03:36 PM
Robert Horry = G.O.A.T.

True story. Also, when it comes to greatest Lakers PG of all time, Derek Fisher is just as good as Magic Johnson. If he could somehow win the title this year, he'd easily be the best ever. And that Jerry West chump with one ring? That guy was a total joke. ;)

kdspurman
05-15-2012, 03:42 PM
My take on the Spurs is spot on. The finished in first last year, they finished first this year. Obviously there wasn't that much of an improvement since they finished in the same position last year. I'm not saying Leonard has made a contribution, but the Spurs were already the best team, so to say the contribution he made to the squad out weighs the imrpovements the Cavs made with Irving on the floor just doesn't compare, not to mention the HUGE difference in numbers. Leonard is a great player, but how much of that is him getting the play with Duncan and Parker and Ginobli, and getting coached by Pop. Irving doesn't have that kind of talent to play with. To try and make are argument that Leonard should get voted ahead of Irving is simply not an argument that could be made using reason. Does Leonard deserve a spot on the All-Rooki First Team? Yes, I would say so. Does he deserve to win ROY? No. There was a clear-cut choice this year and that was Irving. No matter what you say, the Spurs finished the season the same way they finished last season: First. They got a better first-round match up than they did last year, and plus last year they were playing with a couple of injuries, so they didn't do that well in the post season, but to suggest that the Spurs have made a bigger imrpovement from last season to this season than the Cavs have made with Irving just doesn't make any sense.

There is no reasonable argument that has Leonard finishing ahead of Irving for the ROY award.

Well that's a given. I was simply pointing it out because by your post, it made it seem like he makes no difference. Clearly, it's Irving which is why he won pretty handily

Hawkeye15
05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
When Rubio went down, the ROY race was over. The right player won in a landslide, so I don't think there is much complaining to go around.

ezenit2winit
05-15-2012, 03:56 PM

I disagree with you about The Spurs part. They are a much better team this year than they were last year, and Leonard is a part of the reason why. You'll see that in these playoffs!

NSJ
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM

I'm pretty sure the people who voted for him, Faried, and Shumpert didn't really think they deserved to get the award. I also don't think those guys should be striped of their votes because clearly Irving was gonna win. If their votes really mattered than they wouldn't have voted the way they did.

SteveNash
05-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Rubio coming in 2nd is the real joke. Gustavo Ayon was better than him.

Hawkeye15
05-15-2012, 04:00 PM
I disagree with you about The Spurs part. They are a much better team this year than they were last year, and Leonard is a part of the reason why. You'll see that in these playoffs!

He is part of the reason, but so is Splitter and Green's improvement, Neal being clutch, Parker playing at an MVP level, and Popovich doing a great job. Now that they have a healthy playoff roster, they are possibly the best team out there.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 04:00 PM

I hope you're right. Nothing would make me happier than to see Duncan win a fifth ring!

HouRealCoach
05-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Kyrie Irving won anyways...

Hawkeye15
05-15-2012, 04:05 PM

Best defensive rookie guard. Team was 21-20 with him, 5-20 without him. Led all rookies in assists, steals, apg, spg, double doubles, in a landslide when he went down. Hollinger has him on his 2nd all defensive team. When he went down, tied with Deron for most point/assist double doubles in the NBA. 1st in total assists in the 4th quarter when he went down.

Sure dude, its a travesty that arguably the best rookie when he went down finished second despite going down with a knee injury. I tracked the Wolves offensive and defensive production after he left, and they fell 10 spots defensively, 3 offensively.

Rubio should have been #2 here, even with his injury. Didn't Irving play only 5-10 more games than Rubio anyways?

Huntey
05-15-2012, 04:13 PM

Y'know.. I don't think you're the real Steve Nash.

valade16
05-15-2012, 04:19 PM
The right player won.

Who cares how the votes went?

The words of everyone who has ever rigged an election.

I didn't get to see Irving play much so my opinoin is skewed, but Rubio was lights out this year as a rookie.

SteveNash
05-15-2012, 04:36 PM
Best defensive rookie guard. Team was 21-20 with him, 5-20 without him. Led all rookies in assists, steals, apg, spg, double doubles, in a landslide when he went down. Hollinger has him on his 2nd all defensive team. When he went down, tied with Deron for most point/assist double doubles in the NBA. 1st in total assists in the 4th quarter when he went down.

Sure dude, its a travesty that arguably the best rookie when he went down finished second despite going down with a knee injury. I tracked the Wolves offensive and defensive production after he left, and they fell 10 spots defensively, 3 offensively.

Rubio should have been #2 here, even with his injury. Didn't Irving play only 5-10 more games than Rubio anyways?

You're missing the big thing, which is 35.7%. Ayon best big man defender rookie. More important than a weak guard who injured himself, because he can't guard good players. Constantly outmatched and outplayed.

You bring up Hollinger, the same Hollinger whose PER ranks him below Kemba Walker, who leads the rookies in triple doubles. Classic case of highlighting the good and not the bad. Leads league in APG, leads league in TO/G.

Your homerism is ridiculous, you tracked the team? Why do you hide the fact that Love went down, which was karma biting him in the *** for his thuggery. Ridnour went down. Beasley went down. Barea went down. Pekovic went down. And Darko went down. Why are you so desperate to give credit to Rubio?

asandhu23
05-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Y'know.. I don't think you're the real Steve Nash.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4236oQPWm1qlo80p.jpg

Kashmir13579
05-15-2012, 04:50 PM
At least Shumpert is recognized amongst the best rookies! Ya'll hated on this kid so much and he proved you all wrong... Hopefully his injury doesn't kill his confidence because this kid is one savvy cat.

Congrats to Irving and i don't really see the point to this thread...

JLynn943
05-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Isaiah Thomas finished seventh????? I know I'm biased, but there is no way he should be that low. That's a joke.

PleaseBeNice
05-15-2012, 05:08 PM
LMAO Rubio second? Wow.

Hawkeye15
05-15-2012, 06:26 PM
You're missing the big thing, which is 35.7%. Ayon best big man defender rookie. More important than a weak guard who injured himself, because he can't guard good players. Constantly outmatched and outplayed.

You bring up Hollinger, the same Hollinger whose PER ranks him below Kemba Walker, who leads the rookies in triple doubles. Classic case of highlighting the good and not the bad. Leads league in APG, leads league in TO/G.

Your homerism is ridiculous, you tracked the team? Why do you hide the fact that Love went down, which was karma biting him in the *** for his thuggery. Ridnour went down. Beasley went down. Barea went down. Pekovic went down. And Darko went down. Why are you so desperate to give credit to Rubio?

Outmatched and outplayed? haha, you didn't watch him at all obviously.

Yep, the same Hollinger who then speaks about his defensive worth as elite. Lead all rookies in numerous categories before going down. Simple to understand, right?

Yes, I tracked the team. Their defensive efficiency plummeted when Rubio went down. We had nobody to keep quick guards from coming straight into the lane anymore.

Love is a thug? haha. You are a hilarious troll, I give you that.

The slide started well before those players went down. Barea was down the whole season basically until Rubio was gone, so you can take him off your list. Beasley? sucks. Pekovic didn't even play hardly until a month into the season.

Yes, in this rookie class, Rubio was the second best player. The only guy I see having a case is Faried. Irving won, and should have, but remember the media votes, and they lapped up every Rubio bouncepass.

You seem to like to drop idiotic statements and get people to bite into debating you in circles that are going nowhere. I really don't care in the slightest what your opinion on this subject is, I simply responded to make a case for anyone else that would like to read.

Gram
05-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't know how the ART's work. Do they go by these standings? Because I really don't wanna see Shumpert make the first team and Knick fans asking if he's the next Pippen-esque defensive player.

Gram
05-15-2012, 06:40 PM
At least Shumpert is recognized amongst the best rookies! Ya'll hated on this kid so much and he proved you all wrong... Hopefully his injury doesn't kill his confidence because this kid is one savvy cat.

Congrats to Irving and i don't really see the point to this thread...

People hated on him because Knick fans did what they do with all a their players, over rate them.

NoahH
05-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Some Knicks guy put Shumpert down lol

bholly
05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
My bet is there were local sports writers who were thorwing in homer votes, but seriously... we don't need people like that in the voting process...

Yup, it's most likely this - guys vote for their hometown guys to get them some recognition, especially when there's no question what the actual result will be. A few years ago when there was some talk about LBJ possibly being a unanimous MVP choice, an Orlando guy came out publicly and said he'd be voting for Dwight because he didn't like that LeBron rested the last few games of the season to get ready for the playoffs. Which is insane. Some guys just vote for their guy.
There's nothing you can do about that, though. You can't really screen for it or anything. It isn't affecting the outcome, and it's the outcome that matters, so I don't think the NBA care that much.

smith&wesson
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM

Here's my beef. I realize that evaluating players is subjective at times, but THIS YEAR? Was there any other choice for number 1 than Irving?

According to the voting Kenneth Faried got on place vote, as did Iman Shumphert and Kawhi Leonard. And not only that, but one of the people who put those guys at one, put Irving as THIRD!!!!!

This should have been 120 first place votes for Irving. There isn't even an argument for any other player finishing first. Instead Irving got 117 first place votes, 2 second place votes and one third place vote? WTF?!?!?!! The NBA should find out who cast those votes and exclude them from voting in next year's ROY election.

3 votes out of 120 = non issue my man

KnicksorBust
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Nit-picking at it's finest. If Irving lost to Faried because somebody put Kyrie 12th. That's thread worthy. 3 Writers out of 120 making the wrong vote won't shock me. I'm more pleased that 117 got it right. I would have expected worse.

KnicksorBust
05-15-2012, 07:51 PM

Yep, the same Hollinger who then speaks about his defensive worth as elite. Lead all rookies in numerous categories before going down. Simple to understand, right?

Yes, I tracked the team. Their defensive efficiency plummeted when Rubio went down. We had nobody to keep quick guards from coming straight into the lane anymore.

The slide started well before those players went down. Barea was down the whole season basically until Rubio was gone, so you can take him off your list. Beasley? sucks. Pekovic didn't even play hardly until a month into the season.

Yes, in this rookie class, Rubio was the second best player. The only guy I see having a case is Faried. Irving won, and should have, but remember the media votes, and they lapped up every Rubio bouncepass.

You seem to like to drop idiotic statements and get people to bite into debating you in circles that are going nowhere. I really don't care in the slightest what your opinion on this subject is, I simply responded to make a case for anyone else that would like to read.

The ROY means **** after a year anyway. Rubio was neck and neck with Irving at the start of the season. I remember a comparison thread about the two of them where I said that Irving is the better player but Rubio is the type of PG I'd rather have on my team.

smith&wesson
05-15-2012, 08:10 PM

forget about 2nd place. if rubio stayed healthy imo he would have had a case for roy.

KobeOwnSU
05-15-2012, 08:20 PM
If anything I believe Leonard should have been third and not Faried. I'm more impressed that he was able to start and play significant minutes for a championship caliber team with exceptional depth.

Jumi
05-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Rubio was as good as advertised this year! I hate that the kid went down to injury because his squad was getting better game by game. He earned his second place finish and if he would not have went down, we'd be arguing about who deserved the award more! Stop hating on the guy and Congrats to Kyrie!

Mr Costanza
05-15-2012, 09:58 PM
What a disgrace!! They need to investigate those three voters. I for one will not be watching any nba games for quite some time to come because of this travesty. I mean how can a guy who was the best rookie get only 97.5% of the votes???

LA_Raiders
05-15-2012, 10:42 PM
That was pure BS, It is time to take those awards more serious...

Corey
05-16-2012, 02:09 AM

I loled.

Raph12
05-16-2012, 02:19 AM
There will always be random votes, hell one guy voted Lebron at 5th for MVP this year... **** happens, get over it.

da ThRONe
05-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I agree this is an issue. Ofcourse when the winner is as obvious as it was this year it's no big deal. However what happens when the voting is closer. It's voters like this that endangers the integrity of individual awards.

aussie
05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Best rant ever!!

homestarunner93
05-16-2012, 12:22 PM

:laugh:

king4day
05-16-2012, 12:24 PM

Agreed 100%. I still have Irving winning but the fact Rubio didn't get much notoriety considering people had him as the ROY earlier in the year is shocking.

Kashmir13579
05-16-2012, 12:34 PM
Rubio is a great defender but not too many positives to take away from his offensive output this season. Much to improve on.

Everyone gets on Lin for his turnovers but Ricky is even worse and with a much lower USG%. Poor shooting numbers, gives up more points than he scores. (despite the great defense)

He's an exciting player and i think he's gonna be a stud, but this was an incredibly weak year for rookies if he was by-far the second best.

topdog
05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
I think you had some writers from the school of "team play" is the major factor.

Faried made Nene expendable and made a major impact on th Nuggets' run.

Leonard is part of the young blood that has the Spurs rejuvenated and looking for another title.

Rubio was such a game changer that he didn't deserve to win, but certainly deserved some 2nd and 3rd place vote consideration for the season he did turn in.

topdog
05-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Rubio is a great defender but not too many positives to take away from his offensive output this season. Much to improve on.

Everyone gets on Lin for his turnovers but Ricky is even worse and with a much lower USG%. Poor shooting numbers, gives up more points than he scores. (despite the great defense)

He's an exciting player and i think he's gonna be a stud, but this was an incredibly weak year for rookies if he was by-far the second best.

Many of Rubio's numbers were very similar to Jason Kidd's rookie year, so if that is "incredibly weak" then I guess it really doesn't matter what people think of his rookie year.

Let's not forget that the Wolves were the worst team in the league last year and the only major changes it made were signing Rubio and Barea. I can count how many of Rubio's passes were wasted by missed open shots

Finally, Rubio's shooting wasn't great throughout the game, but in the 4th quarter he took his play to another level. When the game was on the line, he made his shots.

Kashmir13579
05-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Many of Rubio's numbers were very similar to Jason Kidd's rookie year, so if that is "incredibly weak" then I guess it really doesn't matter what people think of his rookie year.

Let's not forget that the Wolves were the worst team in the league last year and the only major changes it made were signing Rubio and Barea. I can count how many of Rubio's passes were wasted by missed open shots

Finally, Rubio's shooting wasn't great throughout the game, but in the 4th quarter he took his play to another level. When the game was on the line, he made his shots.

Kevin Love's consistent rise into super-stardom counts for something...
I'm not gonna argue with you because i'm a Rubio fan... And a closet Twolves fan..

Sly Guy
05-16-2012, 04:36 PM
some people in the media are homers too. I wouldn't freak out about it, he still won by a landslide

MintBerryCrunch
05-16-2012, 05:33 PM
No love for Darius Morris..

SMH

SteveNash
05-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Rubio per 48 minutes:
14.5 pts 12.3 ast 4.5to 38.9% efg
Guy Rubio was guarding:
19.8 pts 8.0 ast 4.0 to 46.2% efg

Sorry bro.

Hollinger own stats have him as a below average player. Not in ROY discussion.

And no protection when Love was moved to Center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKft_9gJlY

Troll, typical response from someone who has no argument.

Slide started when they finally started going up against some good teams. Injuries piling up, and Minnesota doing what it does best, tank.

Your boy Hollinger has Rubio at 5th for ROY, behind Kyrie, Faried, Leonard, and Thomas. So yeah, still a joke Rubio came in 2nd.