PDA

View Full Version : A Foul in the First 2 Minutes is the Same as a Foul in the last 2 Minutes?

Rivera
05-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Ive heard this cliche a million times

a charge is a charge whether its in the 1st quarter 2nd quarter of the final 5 seconds in the game...techinically this is true but is it right?

is a foul in the first 2 minutes really the same as the last 2 minutes?

im not 100% sure it is....because you can adjust to a foul call when its called in the first 3 quarters and you can make up for that foul call (whether its a legit foul or not)

but when a foul is called in the last 30 seconds lets say you really cant make up for it. im not saying abandon fouls all together in the last 30 seconds because it would cause pure mayhem (which admitely it would be kinda cool) but a foul call in the last 30 seconds holds sooooo much more weight than a foul in the first 30 seconds because time isnt on your side and you really cant make up for that foul for our team.

to me unless its 100% a clear foul where theres contact it shouldnt be called. any close "charges" or "hand checks" or when a player drives and a player goes straight up to try and block it and theres contact unless an official is 100% sure its a foul i dont think it should be called because the moment is bigger later in games and that call holds so much weight especially at the end of games.

i believe any foul call (legit or not) holds more weight at the end of games than at begining of games.

so is A Foul in the First 2 Minutes is the Same as a Foul in the last 2 Minutes?

LakersIn5
05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
doesnt matter if its a blowout :p but if the game is close then it is. foul twice in the opening minutes then its just sideline inbounds but foul twice in the last 2 minutes then your opponent will be given free throws.

as for shooting fouls/fouls in the penalty i agree with what you said because if you foul early you can still get those points back compared to in the closing moments you will be against time to make up for it

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Those foul calls in the first two minutes are as important as the last two. A foul call can be a four point swing. There needs to be consistency throughout the game. If something is called as a foul in the first two minutes, players should expect the same call in the last two minutes. In fact, from game to game, and official to official, players should expect the same calls for the same plays, otherwise there's no real point in playing, because it won't matter what you do, it will matter how the game is called, and we watch the NBA to see the players, not the officials, so officials should be consistent from game to game, from the opening tip to the final seconds. A foul is a foul.