PDA

View Full Version : How popular would rick rubio, or jeremy lin be if...

james21
05-15-2012, 11:18 AM
I was arguing with a friend about, if rubio or lin, put up the same numbers as rondo, pepole would be calling them the best point guards in the league! especially new york fans! lol! what do you guys think?

da ThRONe
05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
This is complex, but in a short answer probably. However Lin had one of the best statistical string of starts in the history of the league.

We all know that being the racial minority nowadays in sports gives people an advantage in terms of popularity and often times people are often rank based on their personal appeal.

Becks2307
05-15-2012, 11:28 AM
This is complex, but in a short answer probably. However Lin had one of the best statistical string of starts in the history of the league.

We all know that being the racial minority nowadays in sports gives people an advantage in terms of popularity and often times people are often rank based on there personal appeal.

thank you /thread!

thats a perfect response. But don't discredit what Lin did, he broke the NBA all time record for most points in his first 5 starts

Then again don't forget Rondo is a 5/6 year VET.

If Lin and Rubio are putting these numbers up in 5 years it won't be that crazy. If Rondo was doing this as a rookie it would be pretty crazy and he would get a lot of press too.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
How popular would they be if they were better players? Probably quite a bit more popular.

beasted86
05-15-2012, 12:10 PM
How popular would they be if they were better players? Probably quite a bit more popular.

This... thanks for the common sense.

But I do have to say I think race plays a factor and they would be more popular even with identical output.

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
What has race have anything to do with rubio.

He is a caucasian.

Instead you should look into the Justin Bieber factor with him, wasnt he actually asked by some girl to be her prom date ? :D

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Well... anybody who puts up the kind of numbers Rondo does would be considered among the elite PGs, regardless of what their names are.

sixer04fan
05-15-2012, 12:19 PM

We all know that being the racial minority nowadays in sports gives people an advantage in terms of popularity and often times people are often rank based on their personal appeal.

Truth

GoPacers33
05-15-2012, 12:23 PM
i thought this was going to be about race

dee279
05-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Rubio could actually be an Elite PG with a little more experience. He is a great floor general, great passer, and plays good defense. With a jump shot, he could be the next John Stockton.

Abel Ye
05-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I think what he was trying to say is that rondo doesn't get enough credit for what he does as a player, but if it were to be Rubio or Lin Knick fans would be drooling and overhyping them.

My two cents.

dee279
05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
What has race have anything to do with rubio.

He is a caucasian.

Instead you should look into the Justin Bieber factor with him, wasnt he actually asked by some girl to be her prom date ? :D.

He is from Spain. I dont think caucasion is what you would call him. He is a Spaniard i would say.

dee279
05-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I think what he was trying to say is that rondo doesn't get enough credit for what he does as a player, but if it were to be Rubio or Lin Knick fans would be drooling and overhyping them.

My two cents.

Oh but Knicks fans were drooling over Lin already and i believe if Rubio was in NY, they would be drooling over him also. Its all about the team. Minnesota doesnt get the marketing like a LA, NY Etc.

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM

He is from Spain. I dont think caucasion is what you would call him. He is a Spaniard i would say.

Most population in Spain is caucasian, basically like in the rest of europe.

Im not btw ( half caucasian half american indian).

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Rubio could actually be an Elite PG with a little more experience. He is a great floor general, great passer, and plays good defense. With a jump shot, he could be the next John Stockton.

Change that to Jason Kidd and we got a deal.

Stinkyoutsider
05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
I think Lin would be the bigger star? Just look at what happened when Yao was drafted. People in China were staying up late just to see him play. Global star...

Hustlenomics
05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Well... anybody who puts up the kind of numbers Rondo does would be considered among the elite PGs, regardless of what their names are.

there's people in the rajon rondo threads saying he isn't an elite PG

Huntey
05-15-2012, 03:12 PM
I was arguing with a friend about, if rubio or lin, put up the same numbers as rondo, pepole would be calling them the best point guards in the league! especially new york fans! lol! what do you guys think?

I don't get it it.. Are you saying Rondo is underrated? Or are you saying people would hail them as the best because they love a success story (like Lins in articular)

Of course, if they put up numbers like Rondo, they'd be considered some of the best in the league because Rondo is considered one of the best in the league. For me, Rondo is a top 2 PG.

LakersIn5
05-15-2012, 03:16 PM
how popular would ebanks be if he put up the same stats as lebron?

Huntey
05-15-2012, 03:31 PM
how popular would ebanks be if he put up the same stats as lebron?

He'd probably be more popular than LeBron :hi5:

ewing
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
there's people in the rajon rondo threads saying he isn't an elite PG

people believe a lot of stupid ****

PlezPlayDKnicks
05-15-2012, 05:36 PM
So many ?s around Rondo.. The strength of his game is his playmaking ability. Problem is he's surrounded by quality vets so nobody really knows how to gauge his success . Can he lead a team without the Big 3? What's his ceiling ? Will he improve his greatest weakness? Will he mature? Etc etc.. The lights are always brighter in Ny. So any success or failures are magnified

JoeyBoy718
05-15-2012, 05:50 PM
So many ?s around Rondo.. The strength of his game is his playmaking ability. Problem is he's surrounded by quality vets so nobody really knows how to gauge his success . Can he lead a team without the Big 3? What's his ceiling ? Will he improve his greatest weakness? Will he mature? Etc etc.. The lights are always brighter in Ny. So any success or failures are magnified

Agree. Rondo is the only elite PG who isn't an elite scorer, so people have questions about whether or not he could carry a team by himself if he wasn't surrounded by talent. It's the truth. Doesn't mean Rondo isn't elite.

Also, I wouldn't say the sports world (the ones with sports knowledge) believe players are better than they really are because they play for the Knicks. Knicks fans believes Knicks players are the best. Rondo would probably get more praise if he was a Knick, but he would also get more criticism. It comes with the territory.

Also, Lin and Rubio were essentially rookies, so everyone salivates over what a rookie could be, not so much what they are. Rubio is a good player and he has some good young talent around him. If that team sticks together they should have a bright future. I don't know so much about Lin. Even when he was putting up historic numbers he still had a lot of flaws to his game. I think he earned himself a fan base and bought himself a contract, but I don't know if we will even remember Jeremy Lin in 2-3 years.

BALKIS2K12
05-15-2012, 05:59 PM
rubio wont be the same player coming back from that injury. he'll be playing scared afraid of contact for at least 2 years. & all it takes is coming back early and popping that knee again.

PlezPlayDKnicks
05-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Agree. Rondo is the only elite PG who isn't an elite scorer, so people have questions about whether or not he could carry a team by himself if he wasn't surrounded by talent. It's the truth. Doesn't mean Rondo isn't elite.

Also, I wouldn't say the sports world (the ones with sports knowledge) believe players are better than they really are because they play for the Knicks. Knicks fans believes Knicks players are the best. Rondo would probably get more praise if he was a Knick, but he would also get more criticism. It comes with the territory.

Also, Lin and Rubio were essentially rookies, so everyone salivates over what a rookie could be, not so much what they are. Rubio is a good player and he has some good young talent around him. If that team sticks together they should have a bright future. I don't know so much about Lin. Even when he was putting up historic numbers he still had a lot of flaws to his game. I think he earned himself a fan base and bought himself a contract, but I don't know if we will even remember Jeremy Lin in 2-3 years.

PRETTY MUCH AGREE. I see Lin as a 14pts 7 ast type player. Linsanity was more hype than anything else. But as a knicks fan id be happy to have him back long term. All the hype just brings more unneccessary Knicks Hate

Gram
05-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Rick Rubio.