PDA

View Full Version : How Big Would a Clippers vs Lakers WCF Be on the Richter Scale?

Tymathee
05-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I think if the Lakers get past the Thunder and the Clippers get past the Spurs, an all Los Angeles, Staples Center Western Conference finals would probably be one of the best playoff series of all time. Even if one side gets swept, every game will be hard fought, it's something I really want to see.

Since it's California , we're going to use richter scale since Los Angeles will be rockin'!

Also Clips are before Lakers since Lakers would be "home" team.

:clap:

edit: mod can you change poll title "How Large of an Earthquake is a Clippers vs Lakers PWCF"
to "How Large of an Earthquake would a Clippers vs Lakers WCF be?"

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Probably 9.0 it would be huge especially since this year everyone on both teams were getting in each others faces, it would be an intense battle but lakers would ultimately win in 6 games

D12 fan
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
It would be great to see but not likely to happen,Lakers would beat them in 6games max,they are too big for the clippers.

MonroeFAN
05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't see either team advancing past this round unfortunately.

It would be epic though.

Iron24th
05-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Would be cool, but it's a long shot.

Hellcrooner
05-14-2012, 03:46 PM
about the intensity of a fart.

there are no true rivalries in Usa Sports.

This is what a rivalry is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtQAJH_JoXM

Sactown
05-14-2012, 03:49 PM
As a person who is "going green" I'm all for saving gas! go LA!

richiesaurus310
05-14-2012, 03:58 PM
Not gonna happen, but a hallway series would be fun, especially for a chance to beat the heat

DodgerBulls
05-14-2012, 04:00 PM
In all honesty, I just don't think it would be that big.

Corey
05-14-2012, 04:00 PM
The NBA is praying for this to happen from a marketing standpoint.

kdspurman
05-14-2012, 04:02 PM
The NBA is praying for this to happen from a marketing standpoint.

Definitely... Kinda scares me a little tbh... lol

Max.This
05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
the spurs are too good and well rested. I don't see clippers even scratching the surface of a win in that series

Bruno
05-14-2012, 04:09 PM
this is what should have happened in 2006 or 2007, but in the semis. thanks tim thomas.

Hellcrooner
05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
the spurs are too good and well rested. I don't see clippers even scratching the surface of a win in that series

Too much rest is sometimes a - instead of a + in playoffs.

The other team after a 6 or 7 games series tends to be more aware and more ready whilst the one who swept comes too much relaxed.

Sinestro
05-14-2012, 04:13 PM

Now that's a crowd

lilchuckdoubles
05-14-2012, 04:29 PM
wouldn't it b kind of like cheating since neither team would really have a road game?

tbone2171
05-14-2012, 04:32 PM
I don't think anyone outside of Los Angeles would care that much

ChiSox219
05-14-2012, 04:47 PM

The series was entertaining and produced some of this season's greatest moments. Definitely a series I would like to see.

greg_ory_2005
05-14-2012, 05:09 PM
This would be epic. I'm hoping it happens, but the chances are like 1%.

JordansBulls
05-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Would be huge for the WCF, however I think it will be OKC and SAS. That is a more competitive matchup and two different styles as well.

LAKERMANIA
05-14-2012, 05:27 PM
this is what should have happened in 2006 or 2007, but in the semis. thanks tim thomas.

:laugh2: Agreed. We would have beaten them too... **** Tim Thomas

Tymathee
05-14-2012, 06:32 PM

It's more how big is it to Southern California not the rest of the country, we could care less about you guys. ;)

NoahH
05-15-2012, 12:41 AM
Won;t happen. Neither team will make the next round

D12 fan
05-15-2012, 12:49 AM
won;t happen. Neither team will make the next round

lmao.

DodgerBulls
05-15-2012, 12:50 AM
Won;t happen. Neither team will make the next round

Another invalid reasoning.

mdm692
05-15-2012, 03:20 AM

When you watch a video like that you come to question fans in the usa. I mean here in america we become fans to "argue" "fight" and "brag" when youre team is doing good but as soon as your team is on a decline people hide under rocks and stop going to games etc. Then you go across the atlantic and you see support like this that you would never see in america. Yes it was a final but ive seen support like this even on regular meaningless games its like fans over seas dont do it for the "bragging rights" or "to fight" they do it because of the unity it brings. It seems as if the person next to you could be your arc rival yet for those 2-3 hours you cheer next to him and all is forgotten. With the exception of okc we just dont see that in america.

naps
05-15-2012, 03:56 AM
It would be interesting for the fact (is it?) that it would be the first time an entire playoff series played in the same building and basically both teams are home teams. Has it happened before?

In reality though, this has less than 1% chance of happening. I thought OKC-Lakers series could be competitive one but not so much after seeing game 1. And Clippers are most likely gonna be swept. Spurs are probably their worst match-up.

asandhu23
05-15-2012, 04:43 AM
Imagine the chaos if 49ers and Raiders met in the Super Bowl.... i mean we had Loma Prieta earthquake when A's and Giants faced off.

YoungOne
05-15-2012, 05:16 AM
10 because it needs 2 big upsets in the 2nd round.

mdm692
05-15-2012, 06:34 AM
It is a better league than what you realise, better defense, better team play just less dunks... And it is full of known players and some of the best players in the NBA have come out of the Euroleague, just because you haven't heard of them in the US doesn't mean they are nobodies

Bro havent you heard no blake griffin "offensive foul" dunk and no lebron flops means that league sucks =/.

blahblahyoutoo
05-15-2012, 10:16 AM
i would love to watch it but both LA teams are more likely to be swept than advance.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Who would get home court advantage?

natelpete
05-15-2012, 11:24 AM
That series would be nothing compared to a Spurs v Thunder WCF.

mdm692
05-15-2012, 12:13 PM
That series would be nothing compared to a Spurs v Thunder WCF.

this. Arguably the two best fan bases in nba.

AntiG
05-15-2012, 12:14 PM
it would be Thunder-ous.

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 12:29 PM
When you watch a video like that you come to question fans in the usa. I mean here in america we become fans to "argue" "fight" and "brag" when youre team is doing good but as soon as your team is on a decline people hide under rocks and stop going to games etc. Then you go across the atlantic and you see support like this that you would never see in america. Yes it was a final but ive seen support like this even on regular meaningless games its like fans over seas dont do it for the "bragging rights" or "to fight" they do it because of the unity it brings. It seems as if the person next to you could be your arc rival yet for those 2-3 hours you cheer next to him and all is forgotten. With the exception of okc we just dont see that in america.

the good thing is in europe games are NEVER meaningless.

there are SEVERAL objectives for teams in a season.

-Win the national cup
-Win the international cup (euroleague)
- Win the national league
- Finish as high as posible in your league to win a spot in next year international competition ( euroleague or uleb)
- AVOID RELEGATION, theres no tanking, if you finish bottom two or bottom three yo get relegated into a minor division.
- Win PROMOTIOn to the higher division.

This last two things is something american sports, basketball in particular should look into , would be the end of tanking.

The biggest factor on fans being more attached to the teams, tough is that

1 Every city no matter how small has a pro team ( or more than one the bigger ones) wich also leads to big rivalrys against your neighbours.
2 teasm DONT RELOCATE, if they are doing bad and have bad budget they go into lower divisions, if they do good they get to higher divisions , so fans get accostumed to their teams and follow them no matter where they are because of tradition.

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 12:37 PM

This is just insulting. If you don't think there are true rivalries in the US, then you don't watch enough American sports. I could think of a dozen extremely intense American sports rivalries without trying hard whatsoever...

(That being said, I don't think Clippers/Lakers is much of a rivalry, but an all-LA WCF would be interesting.)

pd1dish
05-15-2012, 12:38 PM

wear a Michigan jersey on Ohio States campus on gameday for football. you will probably get your *** kicked or at the very least get beer thrown at you, especially if Ohio State happens to lose. or, God forbid, you have a Michigan license plate or bumper sticker and you leave your car on campus. that thing will be turned over and on fire before the night is over. im an OSU fan and when i have kids, there is no way in hell id take them to an OSU v. Mich game at UM. the things i have heard yelled towards UM fans at the Horseshoe (Buckeye stadium) has actually embarrassed me as an OSU fan, and everyone is a target including women and children if they are Wolverine fans.

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 12:47 PM
This is just insulting. If you don't think there are true rivalries in the US, then you don't watch enough American sports. I could think of a dozen extremely intense American sports rivalries without trying hard whatsoever...

(That being said, I don't think Clippers/Lakers is much of a rivalry, but an all-LA WCF would be interesting.)

True should have been more specific.

American PRO sports.

I dont see any Police having to watch out for things not becoming a street fight when Lakers and Celtics Play.
yOu need to enforce the rules with a lot of policemen in any Real-Barcelona , Milan-inter, Mufch-Liverpool etc etc game or there will be troouble.

Not telling thats a good thing, but shows more of a rivalry.

Stinkyoutsider
05-15-2012, 12:50 PM
Would be big. Huge market, stars on both teams, and they play in the same building. I bet you the NBA is hoping for this?

Teeboy1487
05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
As much as I want it to happen, it's not. The Spurs and Thunder are just too much for the Clippers and Lakers.

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 02:12 PM
True should have been more specific.

American PRO sports.

I dont see any Police having to watch out for things not becoming a street fight when Lakers and Celtics Play.
yOu need to enforce the rules with a lot of policemen in any Real-Barcelona , Milan-inter, Mufch-Liverpool etc etc game or there will be troouble.

Not telling thats a good thing, but shows more of a rivalry.

I'd disagree with your idea of a rivalry. Why does a rivalry have to consist of rioting and street fights? Granted, those things DO happen in all of sports, but you don't need crime to have a good rivalry.

Lakers-Celtics, Red Sox-Yankees and Bears-Packers are all phenomenal examples of pro sports rivalries. And there are rivalries that don't get a lot of a national attention that only certain fans art especially aware of. As a Rockets, Astros and Titans fan, I can tell you that our fans loathe the Jazz, Lakers, Cardinals, Braves, Texans, Steelers, etc.

And then there are rivalries that last over a few years or a decade like the Bulls-Pistons of the 80s-90s, Spurs-Suns of the 2000s, Colts-Pats of the 2000s, etc.

Bottom line, it's kind of ignorant to state that there aren't any good rivalries in American professional sports just because we don't beat each other in the face when we watch the games. If anything, that's completely unnecessary. I may loathe a lot of professional sports teams, but that doesn't mean I can't respect their players and their fans or that I want to punch them in the face...

tredigs
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM

We have rivalries, but more importantly we also have a high quality of life. You just linked a rivalry between two teams of a defaulting nation scraping for global bailouts that spends most of its days rioting in the streets when they're not napping. Sports rivalries between cities and teams become all the more racuous when your life is in ruins. Even in England, etc. where life is not as desperate as a Greece, you still have a hooligan aspect that resonates in their sports arenas. Adds another element. Long story short, Americans care more about life than sports.

And anyway, yeah - there's just no way in hell I can see this series happening barring debilitating injuries to OKC and/or the Spurs.

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 02:29 PM
We have rivalries, but more importantly we also have a high quality of life. You just linked a rivalry between two teams of a defaulting nation scraping for global bailouts that spends most of its days rioting in the streets when they're not napping. Sports rivalries between cities and teams become all the more racuous when your life is in ruins. Even in England, etc. where life is not as desperate as a Greece, you still have a hooligan aspect that resonates in their sports arenas. Adds another element. Long story short, Americans care more about life than sports.

And anyway, yeah - there's just no way in hell I can see this series happening barring debilitating injuries to OKC and/or the Spurs.

i could have chosen any game between Germans, french, brithish, spanish, italian, dutch, belgian, swedish etc teams.
So, your statement is incorrect.

tredigs
05-15-2012, 02:38 PM
i could have chosen any game between Germans, french, brithish, spanish, italian, dutch, belgian, swedish etc teams.
So, your statement is incorrect.

No, it does not. But you have to understand that many other nations in South America/Europe/Africa have much more natural rivalries between nations in that they are competing in the same leagues against one another in such a close vicinity. Inter-state rivalries don't have quite the same umph as we're all Americans and the nation is doing well as a whole. It seems like it may it matter, but it does make a difference. I've seen top rivarlies of both European and American sports - and I'm a citizen of both places (Euro via France), and it's just how I've witnessed it first hand.

I'd be curious to see a wild Swedish sports rivarly though. Denmark/Sweden in Olympic soccer, I guess?

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 02:43 PM
No, it does not. But you have to understand that many other nations in South America/Europe/Africa have much more natural rivalries between nations in that they are competing in the same leagues against one another in such a close vicinity. Inter-state rivalries don't have quite the same umph as we're all Americans and the nation is doing well as a whole. It seems like it may it matter, but it does make a difference. I've seen top rivarlies of both European and American sports - and I'm a citizen of both places (Euro via France), and it's just how I've witnessed it first hand.

I'd be curious to see a wild Swedish sports rivarly though. Denmark/Sweden in Olympic soccer, I guess?

no, im talking between clubs of same country

Manchester and Liverpool, Chelsea /tottenham/ Arsenal, Madrid and Barcelona, Bilbao and Madrid, Lyon and saint ettiene, Paris sg and Marseille, Munich and Dortmund, goteborg vs stockholm etc etc etc.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 03:41 PM
As much as I want it to happen, it's not. The Spurs and Thunder are just too much for the Clippers and Lakers.

Come on... aren't you a Lakers fan? The Lakers can take this series easily. It's just a matter of getting the big men involved. OKC has no low-post scoring, and while they do have two defenders that match up well against Gasol and Odom (Ibaka and Perkins), I gotta think that they will be a little overwhelmed. I'm not worried about that blow-out in game one. I've seen teams get blown out in a series and still win it.

It'll be LA and SA in the conference finals, and I have no clue who will win that, but I'd like to see Duncan get a fifth ring... that would be sweet!

Hellcrooner
05-15-2012, 05:04 PM
Come on... aren't you a Lakers fan? The Lakers can take this series easily. It's just a matter of getting the big men involved. OKC has no low-post scoring, and while they do have two defenders that match up well against Gasol and Odom (Ibaka and Perkins), I gotta think that they will be a little overwhelmed. I'm not worried about that blow-out in game one. I've seen teams get blown out in a series and still win it.

It'll be LA and SA in the conference finals, and I have no clue who will win that, but I'd like to see Duncan get a fifth ring... that would be sweet!

problem is even if we get our bigs involved ( good look with that, you know KObe Eat first :rolleyes:) simply Sessions, Kobe and Artest are COMPLETELY OUT MATCHED in the deffensive end by Westbrook, harden and Durant.