PDA

View Full Version : How far would this Knicks team go ?

mudvayne387
05-14-2012, 02:10 PM
PG - Lin/Douglas/Bibby
SG - Shumpert/Fields
SF - Gallinari/W. Chandler
PF - Amare/Novak/Jeffries
C - T.Chandler/Mozgov

I did not get into the financials, but a roster similar to the one above could have been sculpted. With that being said, how much better would the Knicks have been if they had not traded for Anthony and built around their young talent ? Or, are they better off with their current roster ? Should they have kept Felton ?

Lets not forget that they would also have first round picks to add talent in the next few drafts had they not made the trade.

Kashmir13579
05-14-2012, 02:16 PM
If they don't trade for 'Melo whos to say they:
a) sign Chandler
b) sign Lin
c) sign Novak
d) draft Shumpert
?

I wouldn't have traded for 'Melo but people are crazy if they don't acknowledge the butterfly effect. If Lin is the real-deal i make the 'Melo trade 100x over.

To answer the OPs question, who da **** knows?? As a die-hard Knick fan i say multiple championships.

justinnum1
05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
not past the 2nd round

lin is not that good, amare needs an elite PG

NYYCowboys
05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
I think this team is a huge improvement to the current team, and probably think their ceiling would probably be conference finals.

NYYCowboys
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
not past the 2nd round

How is Lin "not that good" he played great and got injured how can you judge him yet? I'm not saying he's a great player, but that's definitely not out of the question in the future. People seem to forget he's only 23 years old, and has a lot of development left. If he cuts down on his turnovers (which is the usual progression of a young PG) and keeps his assist numbers where they're at or slightly improves them he has a shot to be one of the better PGs in the league.

kntresistheheat
05-14-2012, 02:20 PM
They might of won 2 games against the heat in the first round. Melo is not the problem, Amare, Injuries, and lack of defense is the problem! Although the defense got better when Woodson took over. They will be better next year under a full season/camp/practice with Woodson as the coach and if they preach defense. I also think with Lin getting healthy and if they can resign most of their bench players it would help. They have to resolve the amare issue, I think he needs to go!

mudvayne387
05-14-2012, 02:22 PM
Simmer down BUB, thats why I said a "Similar" team could have been constructed like this one. I didn't say "This would have been the Knicks roster had they not traded for Melo"

If they don't trade for 'Melo whos to say they:
a) sign Chandler
b) sign Lin
c) sign Novak
d) draft Shumpert
?

I wouldn't have traded for 'Melo but people are crazy if they don't acknowledge the butterfly effect. If Lin is the real-deal i make the 'Melo trade 100x over.

To answer the OPs question, who da **** knows?? As a die-hard Knick fan i say multiple championships.

NYYCowboys
05-14-2012, 02:24 PM
They might of won 2 games against the heat in the first round. Melo is not the problem, Amare, Injuries, and lack of defense is the problem! Although the defense got better when Woodson took over. They will be better next year under a full season/camp/practice with Woodson as the coach and if they preach defense. I also think with Lin getting healthy and if they can resign most of their bench players it would help. They have to resolve the amare issue, I think he needs to go!

The defense is definitely not the problem. Knicks were 5th in defensive efficiency this year. I would agree that Amare has gotta go though I think injuries and team chemistry are two of the teams biggest problems, and Amare contributes to both of them.

Kashmir13579
05-14-2012, 02:31 PM
not past the 2nd round

He's a lot better than Mario Chalmers thats for sure.

SeoulBeatz
05-14-2012, 02:33 PM
I like that roster A LOT more than the current one. Gallo and Chandler would be great fits next to Lin and Amare. The offense would definitely flow more smoothly. Lot's of depth, lot's of young talent, no Melo. Good team.

SpaceJamJordans
05-14-2012, 02:33 PM
knicks forum

jericho
05-14-2012, 02:37 PM

yep i wld do an iggy for stat trade and slide melo to the 4 but philly aint gonna do that trade hell who would trade for stat rite now :(

king4day
05-14-2012, 02:39 PM
Felton wouldn't turn the ball over as much so I don't believe Lin is an improvement there.

I don't know how much better this team really would be. Better chemistry for sure. Maybe 5-10 games. I think their D would be better too so you might have a very competitve squad

kntresistheheat
05-14-2012, 02:44 PM
The defense is definitely not the problem. Knicks were 5th in defensive efficiency this year. I would agree that Amare has gotta go though I think injuries and team chemistry are two of the teams biggest problems, and Amare contributes to both of them.

That's why I said it got better when Woodson took over.

yanks19791024
05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Lose in the first round

goNYgoNYgo
05-14-2012, 02:47 PM
we wouldn't even make the playoffs with that team.

plus its absurd, we wouldn't have that team if the trade ddn't go down.

nycsports2
05-14-2012, 02:55 PM
like i wana debate... then i see lin's not that good so on to the next thread... smh

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-14-2012, 03:06 PM
better than this trash team

Kutchie03
05-14-2012, 03:10 PM
Lin is a lot better than Mario Chalmers thats for sure.

I'll assume that you either a) are joking, or b) missed the HEAT/Knicks game right before the All-Star Break when Chamlers made Lin look like a d-league pg. He couldn't even get the ball up the court. 8 points, 8 turnovers and 3 assists off of 1-11 shooting.

here, this may refresh your memory: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=320223014

QueensG
05-14-2012, 03:14 PM
so if they asked u..you would take chalmers over Lin?!...haha lmao thank God your not a gm

KnicksTape
05-14-2012, 03:18 PM
It's sad how quick people jump ship on Carmelo Anthony. If he didn't score who would of please tell me. None of the shooters were making anything. jR was horrible. No point guard really. Amare didn't have the common knowledge to avoid the 100 charges they took on him. Yet if the Knicks never had Melo they would be amazing. People are buying into the Lin hype way too hard.

FreakaNashur
05-14-2012, 03:19 PM
i think the laughing stock of the knicks is going to come to an end. they need to trade 1 of their big 3....trade chandler for a real PG. chandler has good trade value.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-14-2012, 03:20 PM
It's sad how quick people jump ship on Carmelo Anthony. If he didn't score who would of please tell me. None of the shooters were making anything. jR was horrible. No point guard really. Amare didn't have the common knowledge to avoid the 100 charges they took on him. Yet if the Knicks never had Melo they would be amazing. People are buying into the Lin hype way too hard.

Lin passes the ball and makes plays, Melo...not so much

FreakaNashur
05-14-2012, 03:21 PM
so if they asked u..you would take chalmers over Lin?!...haha lmao thank God your not a gm
chalmers has proven himself in playoffs countless of times, he didnt just had a regular season run.

im not a fan of lin. NY could do much better for a pg

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
i think the laughing stock of the knicks is going to come to an end. they need to trade 1 of their big 3....trade chandler for a real PG. chandler has good trade value.

:laugh:

they amnestied a hell of a PG in Billups to sign chandler and now you are saying they need to trade chandler for a PG...thank god you are not a GM.

Btw in case you didnt notice, Tyson won DPOY award.

KnicksTape
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Lin passes the ball and makes plays, Melo...not so much

Durant doesn't pass the ball. Westbrook doesn't pass the ball. But you rather have Lin over them I'm guessing. Like I said. Watching his highlights and predicting he will be some consistent great pg is buying into the hype. He couldn't do anything against the Heat during regular season. He would of done the same in the playoffs.

Weezy
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM
better than this trash team

Funny cause I feel the same about your head coach. Trash.

GREATNESS ONE
05-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Switch Lin with Nash and you're on to something.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Funny cause I feel the same about your head coach. Trash.

Kobe's trash?

2-ONE-5
05-14-2012, 03:27 PM
i thought the Knicks thread would be done for a while seeing how they were ELIMINATED. why waste your time talking about a team that will never be when there are 8 teams left in the playoffs

uprightciti
05-14-2012, 03:31 PM
to be honest i would trade melo and fields for gallo chandler and mozgov in a second!!!

i miss those guys and you know they would have been real ballers

However I dont think we would have signed novak, jr, lin, and chandler if didnt have melo on our team

blahblahyoutoo
05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
2 chandlers on one team = multiple ships

but in all honesty, better than the melo knick team, so 2 wins against us.

nycericanguy
05-14-2012, 04:10 PM
I know the OP said a team similar to this. But that team would simply not have happened or been feasible, so its kind of irrelevant.

Chandler has said he came here to play with Stat & Melo, otherwise he would have signed in GS.

Without the Melo trade, Knicks would never have signed Lin.

No way they sign Novak either with Gallo & Chandler already here.

Realistically its more like

Felton/Shumpert
Fields
Wilson Chandler
Gallo/Jeffries
Amare/Mosgov

PLUS a FA from past summer.

Either way I think NY's current squad is better than either of those teams.

In hindsight NY did pretty well in the Melo deal.

Wilson Chandler continues to be injury prone and he's not cheap anymore. 4 surgeries already at 24 years of age.

Gallo is a very good player, but still incredibly inconsistent, and he's far from cheap now as well.

Mozzy is a good backup center.

Kashmir13579
05-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I'll assume that you either a) are joking, or b) missed the HEAT/Knicks game right before the All-Star Break when Chamlers made Lin look like a d-league pg. He couldn't even get the ball up the court. 8 points, 8 turnovers and 3 assists off of 1-11 shooting.

here, this may refresh your memory: http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?id=320223014

I'll assume that you either a) are joking, or b) missed every other game Lin played.

There is no argument for Chalmers (not even turnovers) unless you're chalking it up to a small sample size.

netsgiantsyanks
05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
replace lin with felton and they'd be better off.

Kashmir13579
05-14-2012, 04:34 PM
replace lin with felton and they'd be better off.

Can't wait to see what ridiculous offer the Nets put out to Lin.... If you can't beat em, overpay for their role-players, right? How'd Shawne Williams work out for ya... :trollface:

Seemingly from the grave, the Nets still **** with the Knicks isht...

Raph12
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
It doesn't work like that, but I'll play along; they'd make the second round, depending on who they play in the first round.

Sinestro
05-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Depends on coaching but I prefer that team despite the fact that I'm not too high on Lin

Donuts365
05-14-2012, 04:49 PM
sweep each year if make playoffs and take tyson out he only came because melo and amare if just melo wouldn't of came

Blitzace137
05-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Felton wouldn't turn the ball over as much so I don't believe Lin is an improvement there.

I don't know how much better this team really would be. Better chemistry for sure. Maybe 5-10 games. I think their D would be better too so you might have a very competitve squad

Felton averaged 9 assist when he was here but he actually averaged close to 4 turn overs as well. Any PG running D'Antoni's system will have a high TO rate because of high usage. I think Lin's TO rate is overlooked too much it can get better but it's not as bad as everyone thinks it is IMO

Nyc4You
05-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Felton used to Jack up shots when he was struggling. it ticked me off. Always happened in the fourth quarter

boolish
05-14-2012, 06:32 PM
PG - Lin/Douglas/Bibby
SG - Shumpert/Fields
SF - Gallinari/W. Chandler
PF - Amare/Novak/Jeffries
C - T.Chandler/Mozgov

I did not get into the financials, but a roster similar to the one above could have been sculpted. With that being said, how much better would the Knicks have been if they had not traded for Anthony and built around their young talent ? Or, are they better off with their current roster ? Should they have kept Felton ?

Lets not forget that they would also have first round picks to add talent in the next few drafts had they not made the trade.

most likely swept in the first round just like always.

Cal827
05-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Felton used to Jack up shots when he was struggling. it ticked me off. Always happened in the fourth quarter

LOL, from this post, I just remember a game between the Knicks and the Raptors where Felton shot a three late that stayed on the rim for like 5 seconds before dropping in.

HouRealCoach
05-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Without the Melo trade Felton would still be running the show (who D'Antoni was happy with) and there would be no Billups which means no Chandler and since they have Felton there would be no Lin

Now Felton came into the season out of shape & Chandler didnt get until March and eventually got injured...

With that said.. It would NOT have been that good

setman2000
05-14-2012, 10:35 PM
knicks forum

Every forum is the Knicks forum - they ARE the NBA!

jimm120
05-14-2012, 11:00 PM
I like that roster A LOT more than the current one. Gallo and Chandler would be great fits next to Lin and Amare. The offense would definitely flow more smoothly. Lot's of depth, lot's of young talent, no Melo. Good team.

uhmmmm...Wilson Chandler was NOT gonna be here. They were not going to give him an extension. That was obvious.

meloman1592
05-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Might as well re-name this thread " Melo is bad at basketball"

jimm120
05-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Can't wait to see what ridiculous offer the Nets put out to Lin.... If you can't beat em, overpay for their role-players, right? How'd Shawne Williams work out for ya... :trollface:

Seemingly from the grave, the Nets still **** with the Knicks isht...

yeah man. To me, I feel that the Nets might be the MOST DANGEROUS team to steal Lin away from the Knicks. He still gets the asian community because he's playing in brooklyn (Mini-Chinatown on 8th avenue...then I think there's a stop on the N train...Kings Highway? that's also a huge asian community...and then 18th ave...or "little italy" is now mostly asian too...oh, and there's still Chinatown in Manhattan).

I hope they don't but lets see how things go. BTW, I DO hope the Nets do end up keeping their pick this year. That trade was moronic for them. HOpe they get a top 3 pick so they can keep it.

THE MTL
05-14-2012, 11:50 PM
So basically this thread is about whether Chandler/Gallinari are better than Melo? Is that a joke?

NoahH
05-14-2012, 11:54 PM
Well with that team they wouldnt have played the HEAT in the first round. Maybe a 5 seed and stretched the first round to seven games

jimm120
05-15-2012, 12:06 AM
I don't understand people.

DIDN'T WE SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM WAS? DIDN'T WE SEE THAT Dantoni was the problem? Didn't we go 18-6 right after he was booted?

Yes, we were outmatched by the Heat. It sucks that Dantoni coached us for two thirds of the season, which get us to a 7th seed. The Heat/Thunder are on another level above all other teams...and the Knicks were NOT at that Elite level nor the level afterwards (Chicago/Spurs). The Knicks were in the Memphis/Clippers level. Good teams that can compete. ANY team, imo, that wasn't the Thunder, Spurs, or (healthy) Chicago would have been beaten by the Heat the same way.

The Knicks were a good team. 18-6. Match them up against ANYONE else in the playoffs and they not only have a good chance to beat (Chicago and Boston), but a superb chance of beating (Sixers, Indy, Orlando, Atlanta). Knicks, though, were not in Miami/Thunder/Healthy Chicago territory just yet.

So please don't come in here saying that the Knicks suck. They go to the 2nd round and either make it a hard fought 2nd round or get to the eastern finals this year if they aren't matched up against the Heat in the 1st round.