PDA

View Full Version : IBM Award

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
There's a lot of talk about what an MVP really is. Is it the best player on the floor? Is it the player that is most important to a team's success? Or is it something else entirely?

The NBA, from 1984-2002 gave out an award known as the IBM Award. It included every possible stat, and team stats, to determine who the best player on the floor was. There was no voting, just a simple equation. It essentially came up with the best player according to stats. The formula can be seen on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Award#Winners

My thought is that perhaps the MVP award need a clear definition, and that bringing back the IBM award will help to recognize the player who puts out the best production, while at the same time allowing for those voting for the MVP award to focus on which player is valuable, rather than which player is posting the best numbers. A valuable player will make their teammates better, will play a crucial role in the team's success, a player whose absence will hurt a team the most.

It obviously stands to reason that the IBM award winner and the MVP award winner might sometimes be the same person, but I think having the two awards, with clear definitions, would help voters give recognition the player/players who most deserve it.

But hey, I also think there should be two DPOY awards, one for front court and one for the back court, but that's just me. I like to see a little more love spread around come award time.

Thoughts?

NoahH
05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Who would have won it the last 10 years? I assume during LeBron's Cleveland years he would've cleaned up

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Who would have won it the last 10 years? I assume during LeBron's Cleveland years he would've cleaned up

LBJ would like have been the winner for the past6 seasons... lol. His numbers are CRAZY good. I like though how the equation puts a team's wins into it, as well as turnovers and such.

KaganRS
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
David Robinson 5 time IBM winner !!!!

thekmp211
05-14-2012, 03:09 PM
wow did not know this. it's like an ancient PER. do we have the equation? the article seems to indicate that rebounding might have been over weighed. interesting.

AntiG
05-14-2012, 03:13 PM
if based on all-around statistics, the past few years would likely have consistently been:
1. LeBron James
2. Rajon Rondo

Sactown
05-14-2012, 03:15 PM
If there was an MVP/ IBM Award, I think Lebron would of cleaned house with both awards with his last 3-4 seasons with Cleveland, and won back to back IBM awards in Miami

thekmp211
05-14-2012, 03:16 PM
i think based on the guys who won it, and not knowing what's going into the equation, lebron and dwight would have won them all since say 2005. kevin love would probably be in the running depending on how important wins are. the idea of combining some of these things statistically though is pretty wonky.

edit - garnett/duncan from 2003-7 would be the other two guys.

KnicksorBust
05-14-2012, 08:50 PM
We already have All-NBA Teams, scoring titles, and leaderboards for every relevant stat.

AnthonyTyrael
05-14-2012, 10:42 PM
Who's doing the math from 2002 to today?

Chronz
05-14-2012, 11:09 PM
We already have better statistical formulas so it is kind of pointless.

if based on all-around statistics, the past few years would likely have consistently been:
1. LeBron James
2. Rajon Rondo

Rondo?