PDA

View Full Version : TOP 5 Greatest Individual Talented Players in NBA History

canefandynasty
05-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Who would you have as your TOP 5 player in NBA history in terms of individual talent? Greatest NBA Players are measured by individual achievements/accolades, longevity, and team success. However, this thread in only in terms of individual talent, which doesn't necessarily resemble greatest of all time lists. Who would be in your TOP 5?

Becks2307
05-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Tmac!!

Kashmir13579
05-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I can only speak dating back to 2002 or so. Stephon Marbury and Tracy Mcgrady come to mind. Those guys were the full package.

celtNYpatsHeels
05-14-2012, 11:08 AM
Jordan
Magic
Bird
Hakeem
Robertson

Cal827
05-14-2012, 11:10 AM
T-mac
Scalabraine
justinnum
Rasual Butler
Lebron James

b@llhog24
05-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Mj
Wilt
Lebron
Dream
so far and I'm pulling a blank on the last one.

asandhu23
05-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Wilt Chamberlain
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Penny Hardaway
Allen Iverson

2DaHoop
05-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Michael Jordan, the best every played the game
Wilt Chamberlain, at 7'1", the fastest and quickest 7-footer who ever played the game.
Magic Johnson, the best PG ever played the game.
Dr J, revolutionized the game with his talent.
LeBron, pure talent

THE GIPPER
05-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Vince Carter and T-Mac came to mind first for me.

Ill21
05-14-2012, 11:17 AM
T-Mac
The Dream
Jordan
Iman Shumpert
LBJ

D.O.N.
05-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Speaking of just talent VC have to be top5.

He was just awesome. His athleticism and talent was something else.
Whit a kobe-attitude he could be in the conversation for GOAT.

JJ_JKidd
05-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Redundany thread title. Redundant thread.

goldenstater
05-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Lebron
The Dream
Jordan
Magic
Wilt

they all were just some much more athletically gifted over everyone else during their time it wasnt even funny. also i think Len Bias would have been that type athletic specimen. also david robinson was pretty freakish as well

Gators123
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Monta Ellis.

Gram
05-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Monta Ellis.

theheatles
05-14-2012, 11:47 AM
Bob Cousy
Pistol Pete
John Havlicek
George Mikan
Detlef Schrempf

ivylleague1'
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
Allen Iverson. The most talented ever.
He is now better than he used to be. Slimmer and quicker, Just watch his video from China !!!!!!
Michael Jordan. The Most Competive Player ever. Loaded with talents.
Magic Johnson. Very smart basketball player, loaded with talent.
Mark Price. Jabbar, Moses Chamberlain, Lebron and bird.

There could be more.

Pat Thetic
05-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Pete Maravich
Arvydas Sabonis
Jonathan Bender - seriously, amazing talent/bad knees
Larry Bird
Lebron James

LakersIn5
05-14-2012, 11:59 AM
not bill russel

wilt comes to mind and malone

THE GIPPER
05-14-2012, 12:04 PM
T-Mac
The Dream
Jordan
Iman Shumpert
LBJ
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=which+one+doesn%27t+belong&hl=en&biw=1241&bih=584&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=7rGInzwL5Q6-KM:&imgrefurl=http://hivemindfield.tumblr.com/&docid=MUBSfH5dLLow2M&imgurl=http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg24eoAJjN1qd9qa2o1_500.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=0iyxT_XhJ6WpiQKlnrHaAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=869&vpy=169&dur=343&hovh=180&hovw=240&tx=183&ty=121&sig=102935168379888667695&page=1&tbnh=123&tbnw=160&start=0&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:11,s:0,i:93

sp1derm00
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Is it wrong to mention Gasol?

I realize he's not an all-time great, but there's no denying how talented he is. He can do just about everything on the court.

Midrange, long range, handles, passing, rebounding, high post, low post, face up... you name it, Gasol does it and usually does it very well.

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-14-2012, 12:05 PM
If your gonna have MJ Lebron and T-Mac then Kobe must be put up here!
His offensive game is the best ever his footwork is amazing he's got moves MJ didn't ever have

NYflightboy
05-14-2012, 12:15 PM
T-Mac
Lebron (Who, as much as I hate him, is the most talented player I've ever seen)
MJ (The GOAT)
AI
Nate Robinson (Don't laugh. If he was 6'5" he'd be better than Lebron)

NYflightboy
05-14-2012, 12:17 PM
If your gonna have MJ Lebron and T-Mac then Kobe must be put up here!
His offensive game is the best ever his footwork is amazing he's got moves MJ didn't ever have

Dude, Kobe's moves are all MJ's moves.

Kashmir13579
05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
Deff Iman Shumpert....

hail2skins4life
05-14-2012, 12:47 PM
kobe
AI
Dirk
Rondo
Tmac

--23--
05-14-2012, 01:01 PM
Jordan
Hakeem
Wilt
Kareem
Bird

Honorable mentions: Magic, Dr.J & Oscar

Law25
05-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Wilt - The walking missmatch
Magic - The 6'9" point guard and creator of showtime
Oscar Robinson - The walking tripple double
Dominique Wilkins -The Human highlight, his dunks were better than any Jumper or great foot work at the time.
Iverson - The King of the crossover, extremely athletic, and quick as a cat

Now if your talking about players that play both ends the list Changes

Jordan - He had pippen do aot of the dirty work, but aside from his amazing offence he was a good on ball defender and great help defender

Kobe - Aside from his great offence he was the teams lockdown defender becuase of his great on ball defence. In his youth was also a great help defender up until about 31. Even with Worl Peace, Kobe still shuts down players when needed like Lawson in game seven.

LeBron - He makes this list, because is offence is pretty damn good pared with the 08 - 11 chase down blocks and, after what he did to Rose last season in the ECF you cant deny he is coming into his own as a good on ball defender while still being amazing at playing the passing lanes.

Wilt - Just watch highlight, check his stats, and ask anyone that watched his peeked years

Gary " The Glove" Payton - He was a great point guard who can put other guards in the post, also he was a amazing on ball defender with lighting quick hands.

Honorable mentions - Kidd, Wade, Worthy. Bird wasnt a great defender niether was magic

LoveMeOrHateMe
05-14-2012, 03:24 PM

Your right Kobe's moves were all influenced by MJ but his footwork Is unmatched ive seen Kobe do moves Jordan never did... Oh and might I add that Kobe has a hook shot along with many others

bagwell368
05-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Jordan
Magic
Bird
Hakeem
Robertson

If it's not right it's damn close.

I can't believe all the votes for Wilt. He had a very basic offensive game, he dominated in a weak era, and he couldn't shoot free throws. Unlike Russell he wasn't focused on winning. No thanks.

Wilkins? A horrid basketball player from a team standpoint. Not interested in guys that can only play 1 on 1.

Iverson was/is garbage as a team player.

I like Payton a lot, but he has no business being mentioned here.

Maravich is one of the 5 most overrated players of all time. He couldn't play D to save his life. A volume scorer, big deal.

Mikan? His game was prehistoric. He couldn't even make a D1 team and start today with his moves.

Worthy is a /jk in this company.

Lo Porto
05-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Wilt Chamberlain hands down. The guy went to Kansas to run the 200 hurdles as much as he did to play basketball. He was a phenomenal volleyball player. He gets knocked for not having a huge competitive drive, but he still owns almost every record in the book. He simply dominated basketball to a degree that was never seen before and will never be seen again.

effen5
05-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Talent wise vincanity was an absolute freak, some of the things he's done on the court I've never seen.

Mj obviously

JEDean89
05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
wade has more basketball talent than lebron, lebron is just more physically gifted. put wade's talent in lebrons body and you have the best basketball player ever.

Soonerule
05-14-2012, 04:29 PM
I was never a fan because I pulled for his rival but it is my opinion that any list of the top 5 players must have Larry Bird in it. What he did at Indiana St is amazing alone. He was a complete player. That said, the list would have to have the only player that could rival him, Magic. Magic could and did excel at every position, even center when he needed to. Magic changed the game.

I see Wilt mentioned a lot here, but Russell consistently contained him, but I will take Abdul-Jabar. He probably did, but I don't think I ever saw him miss a sky hook.

Jordan of course. What always fascinated me about Mike is whenever the press would find a flaw in his game he would work on it until he was the best at it, truly amazing.

The last one gets much tougher. John Havlicek, alot of rings? But Oscar Robertson almost averaged a triple double for a career. George Gervin, lifetime .504 shooter, lifetime! Hakeem Olajuwan? Those guys come to mind first. Couldn't be too far off with any of them IMO.

Sinestro
05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Jordan
LeBron
Magic
Bird
Hakeem

Mick A
05-15-2012, 05:41 AM

Absolutely

Mick A
05-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Talent wise vincanity was an absolute freak, some of the things he's done on the court I've never seen.

Mj obviously

He (Carter) sure was. Shoulda' been this era's Jordan. Size, deep range on his shot, phenomenal leaper, with body control. Dominique could leap too, but didn't have a great variety of dunks. Mostly dip and swoop dunks. I mention this cause some folks think he beat Jordan in one of the dunk contests. He had nowhere near Jordan's variety. Also a primarily a 2-footed jumper, he was more a high-jumper, than a broad one. Jordan was both.

Mick A
05-15-2012, 05:50 AM
I was never a fan because I pulled for his rival but it is my opinion that any list of the top 5 players must have Larry Bird in it. What he did at Indiana St is amazing alone. He was a complete player. That said, the list would have to have the only player that could rival him, Magic. Magic could and did excel at every position, even center when he needed to. Magic changed the game.

I see Wilt mentioned a lot here, but Russell consistently contained him, but I will take Abdul-Jabar. He probably did, but I don't think I ever saw him miss a sky hook.

Jordan of course. What always fascinated me about Mike is whenever the press would find a flaw in his game he would work on it until he was the best at it, truly amazing.

The last one gets much tougher. John Havlicek, alot of rings? But Oscar Robertson almost averaged a triple double for a career. George Gervin, lifetime .504 shooter, lifetime! Hakeem Olajuwan? Those guys come to mind first. Couldn't be too far off with any of them IMO.

I have to recall the title is individually talented, not best. Kareem may have been that (among centers), but was not as dedicated to defense and rebounding as Wilt or Russell were. Not even close.

lavilevi23
05-15-2012, 06:10 AM
LeBron - probably most overall talent ever.
Magic - best PG and court vision ever.
MJ - best player ever period.
A.I - most talented and best little man ever in the NBA.
Tmac - best scorer ever (in his prime of course)

Trueblue2
05-15-2012, 06:19 AM
Out of players I've grown up watching in no particular order

Lebron
Kobe
Kidd
Nash
Iverson

Honorable mention: Vince Carter, Grant Hill, Tmac

the avenger
05-15-2012, 06:42 AM
If we're talking about individual technical and overall basketball talent:

1 Michael Jordan

2 Larry Bird

3 Oscar Robertson

4 Magic Johnson

5 Charles Barkley

Sssmush
05-15-2012, 07:43 AM
just pure talent-wise, I really think that Kobe Bryant has to be in the conversation.

Lookit, what is he in his 16th season? And still owning the league, basically. Could've had the scoring title for the taking this year if he felt like playing one extra game. Still going strong.

Also, I don't see how anybody can leave Shaq off that list. Gotta be ahead of Hakeem and Wilt, I'm not sure anybody that big ever moved around like that and was that explosive.

mdm692
05-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Pure talent
Jordan
The dream
Kobe
T-mac
Lebron

Honorable mention
VC

natelpete
05-15-2012, 09:02 AM
Allen Iverson

john545455
05-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Grant Hill
Len Bias
Spudd Webb
Greg Oden
Nate Robinson

69centers
05-15-2012, 09:28 AM
Jordan
Bird
Magic
Dr. J
Lebron

rockbottom2010
05-15-2012, 09:42 AM
michael jordan
magic johnson
oscar robertson
lebron james
john stockton

rockbottom2010
05-15-2012, 09:42 AM
Grant Hill
Len Bias
Spudd Webb
Greg Oden
Nate Robinson

grant hill has craaazy talent

dee279
05-15-2012, 10:39 AM
MJ- No explanation needed.

Lebron James- Power Forward size with Guard skill, ability, and crazy athleticism. Also, 1 of the best defenders in the league and can guard every position. Just 1 of the most versatile players I ever seen and most versatile since Magic Johnson.

Larry Bird- Could basically do it all and did. Not that athletic but it didnt matter.

Magic Johnson- a 6'9 point guard that could play all 5 positions and did. Most versatile player ever IMO.

Hakeem The Dream- 1 of the best defensive players ever with the offensive arsenal to match.

Honorable mention- Tracy Mcgrady, Dwyane Wade, Wilt The Stilt, Big O, and Grant Hill.

2DaHoop
05-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Your right Kobe's moves were all influenced by MJ but his footwork Is unmatched ive seen Kobe do moves Jordan never did... Oh and might I add that Kobe has a hook shot along with many others

And MJ's moves were influenced by Dr J.
And Dr J's moves were influenced by....no one.

He created them.

king2218
05-15-2012, 10:58 AM
T-Mac: Had the length of a PF, vision of a PG, mentality of a SG. If healthy, would've been in the all time top 10.

Dominique Wilkins: Human Highlight film. Enough said.

Vince Carter: Jumping over a 7 footer. That's talent.

Lebron James: Can play all 5 positions.

Shaq: Had to reinforce the backboards cause of him.

ManningToTyree
05-15-2012, 11:26 AM
LeBron
Wilt
Iverson
MJ
Penny

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 11:40 AM
T-Mac
The Dream
Jordan
Iman Shumpert
LBJ

:facepalm:

meloman1592
05-15-2012, 11:41 AM
T Mac
AI
Vince
Jordan
Lebron

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 11:43 AM
I'd probably go:

Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Magic Johnson
Oscar Robertson
Lebron James

These guys had athleticism and skills that either defied their size, their generation or the game itself. Olajuwon was a 7-footer with wing athleticism and speed, Magic may be the only PF-sized PG in the history of the NBA (yet, was the greatest PG ever), Oscar's all around game and athleticism was decades of his time and MJ and Lebron are the absolute perfect combination of size, speed and skills, the paradigm for all NBA players.

KaganRS
05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
1) MJ

2) Kobe/Wade
3) Len Bias /Magic
4) Grant Hill /Lebron
5) Drazen

Jint.
05-15-2012, 11:55 AM
MJ
Lebron
Vince
Iverson
Rik Smits

WeCameAsRomans
05-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Magic Johnson
Michael Jordan
Lebron James
Pistol Pete
Tmac
Vince Carter
Allen Iverson
Dominique Wilkins
Kobe Bryant
Dwayne Wade
Tim Duncan
Grant Hill

Just some names off the top of my head

3RDASYSTEM
05-15-2012, 12:09 PM
I'll put my 5 up against any 5, i tried to teach people on here that rings dont determine your 'game' or how great of a 'individual' player your are

http://youtu.be/FgbfZTQeKRk - BIG DIPPER - SHAQ is modern day version,but i dont think anybody was as freakish as him being 7ft and being that athletic

http://youtu.be/P4Rb_scbotw - BIG ARISTOTLE - modern day BIG DIPPER

http://youtu.be/8EHINX8fm64 - MJORDAN - had corporate America backing him but had the ultimate game to back himself,won without no dominant bigmen, everybody wants to be like him in some fashion,others take his entire persona/game see KB8

http://youtu.be/WIB__VknWFc - LJAMES - best individual player to enter league since EZAIL/SHAQ

http://youtu.be/TNlUHxL2JD0 - EZAIL
http://youtu.be/_ki5VTKozz0 - had a move like ALCINDOR skyhook and MJ fadeaway that the league banned
http://youtu.be/5FGki9gshb4 - better than over 50pct of players/guards in the nba today back in his highschool days, yea he was that great individually, rings dont determine your greatness, its for your resume...your actual game/dominance does..nobody came in the league with the 'equal' combination of skill/athletic freakish ability at highest level...he was best guard after JORDAN from 1996-2008,game film dont lie..he avg 24ppg and 8apg as a rookie basically and almost 27ppg and over 7apg his final full season 12yrs later in 2008 and then had to be xiled because he would have scored 30k points in his career by now...baller

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
1) MJ
2) Kobe/Wade
3) Len Bias /Magic
4) Grant Hill /Lebron
5) Drazen
Why did you randomly lump in players from multiple positions in the same category, include a player who never played an NBA game and a Croatian who only had two good seasons before he died in a car accident?

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
I've seen a lot of people list Allen Iverson on this list, but I can't say I agree with that at all. If we're talking about pure talent, I'm thinking about guys who were gifted in terms of size, speed and athleticism. AI was extremely quick and athletic, but he was crazy undersized for a SG (he was no PG), so I have a really hard time understanding why he should be on this list.

Spencesc11
05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
1) Michael Jordan
2) Magic Johnson
3) Lebron James
4) Kobe Bryant
5) Larry Bird

other than Lebron these 4 all had the "clutch" gene, but as far as Lebron's all around game (scoring, passing, defense, rebounding, etc..) you really can't drop him lower than 3.

dee279
05-15-2012, 12:54 PM
T-Mac: Had the length of a PF, vision of a PG, mentality of a SG. If healthy, would've been in the all time top 10.

Dominique Wilkins: Human Highlight film. Enough said.

Vince Carter: Jumping over a 7 footer. That's talent.

Lebron James: Can play all 5 positions.

Shaq: Had to reinforce the backboards cause of him.

Shaq couldnt shoot. It doesnt take talent to bring down backboards. Im not saying he is not talented but you not the most talented Center if you cant shoot at all. Also, shaq wasnt the first guy to bring the rim down. But he is definantly 1 of the most dominant players ever but not 1 of the most talented.

3RDASYSTEM
05-15-2012, 01:01 PM
MIGHTYBOSSTONE, EZAIL played 'big' and his fearless/toughness made up for his under 6ft frame, if you say hes no PG then how in the hell can a 5'10 guy be a shooting guard? he was a playmaker/creator/combo guard, he could play all 3 major sports professionally,do you know wat type of talent that is? he could play NFL/MLB/NBA all at 5star level...he was catching alley oops from halfcourt and in halfcourt sets in live NBA games, he had physical ability like BRON/SHAQ and last i checked they llike 6'7 and 7'1 height wise respectively...so i dont get wat you mean by him being on list alot, its obvious if you watched him from his inception

http://youtu.be/zcS6qN1agnA - im sure your fav player is on this film getting mixed

http://youtu.be/iIsybLzyaVQ - he had same game in college and played above the rim, he didnt develop anything like your fav player had to do, he was that good coming in to NBA..only weakness was 'turnovers'..funny right?

http://youtu.be/ibq6XNOqLH4 - in game dunks, not no allstar slam dunk competition type

http://youtu.be/KlnNn86Jx5Y - another one

Heavy honorable mention goes to TMAC(just to think philly wouldnt trade HUGHES for him to pair up with AI back then,filthy duo it would have been) and im on the fence with DUNCAN/G.HILL

Chronz
05-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Tmac would take the cake if he wasnt cursed with a deformed spine. Then again its very hard to be a great ball handler at that size so you still need alot of skill to get good. Maybe Durant is a better talent if you mean god given ability.

MJ was shredded body fat% wise, is that god given? Bron is an obvious choice

Shaq and Wilt. Duncan and Yao could be argued if Yao didnt have health problems.

pedrofan45
05-15-2012, 01:12 PM
MJ
Magic
Lebron
Shaq
Wilt

Top 5 players ever without the rings, accolades, etc.

RonE Coleman
05-15-2012, 02:18 PM
1. Kemba Walker
2. Chronz
3. justinnum1
4. Scalibrine
5. Adam Morrison

Illa215
05-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Allen Iverson. Combine his size, injuries, and supporting cast, and he was still able to do everything that he did?

AI was as talented as I've ever seen.

beliges
05-15-2012, 02:46 PM
You would have to put the greatest winners of all time on this list.

MJ
Kareem
Russell
Magic
Kobe

Greatest winners of all time. Enough said.

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Allen Iverson. Combine his size, injuries, and supporting cast, and he was still able to do everything that he did?

AI was as talented as I've ever seen.

But if you're listing size as something he had to overcome to succeed, how can we include him on a list of the most talented players? Size, strength and athleticism are a big part of talent, IMO.

naps
05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
LeBron
Jordan
Hakeem

These came to my mind when I read the thread title. Gotta think a bit more about last two spots.

pedrofan45
05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
You would have to put the greatest winners of all time on this list.

MJ
Kareem
Russell
Magic
Kobe

Greatest winners of all time. Enough said.

Not the question dude... tho that is right for greatest winners

smith&wesson
05-15-2012, 03:00 PM
hakeem alajuan
charles barkley
vince carter
clyde drexler
allen iverson

shaq
t.duncan
lebron
kobe
isiah thomas

m.malone
rodman
durant
r.miller
steve nash

i know i know, i have the best lists.

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 03:11 PM
hakeem alajuan

The man certainly needs to be on the list, but that's got to be the worst butchering of his last name that I've ever seen. It's not even close...

ChicagoJ
05-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Jordan, LeBron, Magic, Kobe, and there is probably a 10 way tie for 5th place.

JasonJohnHorn
05-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Wilt
The Big O
Hakeem the Dream
David Robinson
Jordan

Chronz
05-15-2012, 04:39 PM

The man certainly needs to be on the list, but that's got to be the worst butchering of his last name that I've ever seen. It's not even close...

Sounds spanish to me

Ala JUAN

LOL

smith&wesson
05-15-2012, 05:10 PM

really ? your going to facepalm me because i didnt spell his name right ? alright bro. since you have nothing to add to the thread other then looking for spelling mistakes i guess i can add you to the ignore list.

Sounds spanish to me

Ala JUAN

LOL

i expect more from you. clearly your no better then a troll. if your going to bait me in to an infraction might as well make it worth it.

get off my dick and jump back on your high horse.

canefandynasty
05-15-2012, 06:34 PM
hakeem alajuan
charles barkley
vince carter
clyde drexler
allen iverson

shaq
t.duncan
lebron
kobe
isiah thomas

m.malone
rodman
durant
r.miller
steve nash

i know i know, i have the best lists.

lmao!!

mightybosstone
05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
really ? your going to facepalm me because i didnt spell his name right ? alright bro. since you have nothing to add to the thread other then looking for spelling mistakes i guess i can add you to the ignore list.

:eyebrow: If you had been reading the thread, you'd noticed I've actually contributed quite a bit to the discussion, but clearly reading isn't your strong suit.

Sssmush
05-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Allen Iverson

Iverson has to be in the conversation somewhere. Maybe the quickest athlete I've ever seen, like Bo Jackson / Sugar Ray Leonard quick.

Also, I would include Steve Nash, who has some utterly amazing attributes that continue to astonish.

xxplayerxx23
05-15-2012, 09:14 PM
Vince, tmac, Lebron,Kobe iverson no order

Chronz
05-15-2012, 09:19 PM
i expect more from you. clearly your no better then a troll. if your going to bait me in to an infraction might as well make it worth it.

get off my dick and jump back on your high horse.

I honestly didnt think you would get so offended, I apologize if your hurt by it. Didnt mean anything by it, I dont know how to spell his name either. I stick to calling him Dream

THE MTL
05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Allen Iverson
Lebron James
Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Hakeem Olajawon

pd7631
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM
AI

His accomplishments in the NBA were based purely off his talent. I love him for who he is and what he did, but he could've been even better if he worked on his game and body more. Not just an unbelievable basketball talent either, he was equally gifted as a football player. Overall, one of the most talented ATHLETES ever....not just in basketball.

the avenger
05-16-2012, 02:09 AM
But if you're listing size as something he had to overcome to succeed, how can we include him on a list of the most talented players? Size, strength and athleticism are a big part of talent, IMO. I couldn't disagree more with that statement... Basketball talent is all about technical skills and translating them on the court. The best pure basketball players are the ones with the best technical skills like MJ, Birdman, Magic, Barkley, etc. Of course it helps when you're athletic, big or really fast. But don't you think that EVERY player in the NBA is at least tall or fast or big or an athlete??

smood999
05-16-2012, 02:42 AM
I'm surprised Penny and Grant Hill aren't on more lists...

mustaine
05-16-2012, 08:32 AM
AI

His accomplishments in the NBA were based purely off his talent. I love him for who he is and what he did, but he could've been even better if he worked on his game and body more. Not just an unbelievable basketball talent either, he was equally gifted as a football player. Overall, one of the most talented ATHLETES ever....not just in basketball.

Completely agreed. He was the first name that came to mind when I read the title. Everything he did was because of natural talent. He's my second favorite player behind Jordan and it pains me to think of how good he could have been if he just worked harder. At the same time it's really hard not to laugh about how good he was without really trying. Unbelievable talent.

bagwell368
05-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Shaq and Wilt. Duncan and Yao could be argued if Yao didnt have health problems.

Shaq was dominant, but his talent on offensive was limited. Yao? How about Bill Walton? Jabbar? KG? McHale?

Seriously - McHale. Top 5 all time low post offensive player IMO. A #4 that could and did guard the toughest #4's, #3's, and #5's of his day. Just because he looks like a cross between Frankenstein and Michael Sarrazin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Sarrazin)

he gets over looked in these things. A guy that one year hit 60% of his FG's and 80% of his FT's.

torocan
05-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Relative to the rest of the league for the Era they played in, nobody matched or most likely ever will match Wilt Chamberlain as an individual player.

They changed the rules and the size of the paint specifically to stop Wilt - they widened the lane from 12 to 16 feet, they changed the rules on how to shoot free throws (he was the ONLY player in the NBA that could slam dunk from with free point line WITHOUT a running start... so they banned it), and the rules on how to inbound the ball among others.

How many other players forced the NBA to change the rules JUST to stop them?

In his career...

Average 50.4 points, 22.9 rebounds during one season
During one game blocked 25 shots (blocks weren't comprehensively tracked)

Most points in a single season - 4,029
Most points in a single game - 100
Most points in a half - 59
Most 50 points game in a SINGLE season - 45 (Jordan has 39 x 50 points game in his entire CAREER, Kobe has 25 x 50 points games in his CAREER)
Most 40 point games in a season - 63 (Also holds the #2 spot)
Most seasons leading league points per game - 7 (tied with Jordan)
Most career 60 point games - 32
Most career 50 point gmes - 118
Most career 40 point games - 173
Most consecutive 50 point games - 7
Most consecutive 40, 30 and 20 point games
Most PPG by a rookie - 37.6
Most points by a rookie - 2.707
Most point by a rookie in a single game - 58
Fewest games to reach 20,000 points - 499 (#2 - Jordan took 620 games)
Fewest games to reach 25,000 points - 691 (#2 - Jordan took 782 games)
Fewest games to reach 30,000 points - 941 (1 of only 4)
Most rebounds in a single season (Also holds spots #2-7)

And so on, and so on...

Scoring leader - 7x
FG% leader - 9x
Rebounding leader - 11x
Assist leader - 1x

Rookie of the Year
NBA All-star game MVP
4 x MVP
7 x 1st team
3 x 2nd team
2 x NBA champion
1 x finals MVP
2 x all defense team

Etc, etc, etc.

And keep in mind, he did this in the 1960's... BEFORE the era of Nutrionists, physiotherapy, sports medicine, advanced athletic training, easy access to tape for film review, etc, etc.

It's hard to say how Wilt would have done if he had grown up during the modern game, but for his time, Wilt was a Giant in the League he played in.

In relative terms, I believe he is the most dominant player ever to play the game.

NYflightboy
05-16-2012, 11:39 AM
I guess how it depends on how you view talent. I can be about how skillful a guy is and how technically sound he plays the game or just pure, natural, physical gifts.

Donuts365
05-16-2012, 11:44 AM
this just a bait thread so ppl can say lebron nice try though

D-Leethal
05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Wilt Chamberlain
LeBron James

Probably the two most individually talented players in the history of the game. Both missing the 'it' factor. Both known for choking in the biggest moments. Both known for 'check my stats' instead of being 'all about rings' regardless of what comes out of their mouth.

NYflightboy
05-16-2012, 12:39 PM
Relative to the rest of the league for the Era they played in, nobody matched or most likely ever will match Wilt Chamberlain as an individual player.

They changed the rules and the size of the paint specifically to stop Wilt - they widened the lane from 12 to 16 feet, they changed the rules on how to shoot free throws (he was the ONLY player in the NBA that could slam dunk from with free point line WITHOUT a running start... so they banned it), and the rules on how to inbound the ball among others.

How many other players forced the NBA to change the rules JUST to stop them?

In his career...

Average 50.4 points, 22.9 rebounds during one season
During one game blocked 25 shots (blocks were comprehensively tracked)

Most points in a single season - 4,029
Most points in a single game - 100
Most points in a half - 59
Most 50 points game in a SINGLE season - 45 (Jordan has 39 x 50 points game in his entire CAREER, Kobe has 25 x 50 points games in his CAREER)
Most 40 point games in a season - 63 (Also holds the #2 spot)
Most seasons leading league points per game - 7 (tied with Jordan)
Most career 60 point games - 32
Most career 50 point gmes - 118
Most career 40 point games - 173
Most consecutive 50 point games - 7
Most consecutive 40, 30 and 20 point games
Most PPG by a rookie - 37.6
Most points by a rookie - 2.707
Most point by a rookie in a single game - 58
Fewest games to reach 20,000 points - 499 (#2 - Jordan took 620 games)
Fewest games to reach 25,000 points - 691 (#2 - Jordan took 782 games)
Fewest games to reach 30,000 points - 941 (1 of only 4)
Most rebounds in a single season (Also holds spots #2-7)

And so on, and so on...

Scoring leader - 7x
FG% leader - 9x
Rebounding leader - 11x
Assist leader - 1x

Rookie of the Year
NBA All-star game MVP
4 x MVP
7 x 1st team
3 x 2nd team
2 x NBA champion
1 x finals MVP
2 x all defense team

Etc, etc, etc.

And keep in mind, he did this in the 1960's... BEFORE the era of Nutrionists, physiotherapy, sports medicine, advanced athletic training, easy access to tape for film review, etc, etc.

It's hard to say how Wilt would have done if he had grown up during the modern game, but for his time, Wilt was a Giant in the League he played in.

In relative terms, I believe he is the most dominant player ever to play the game.

See my thing with Wilt is that, for lack of a better term, he was a cheese.
Honestly I'm way too young to have ever watched him play but it seems to me like he was just way bigger than almost everybody else. Like Shaq playing against High Schoolers.

The man was 7-1 and 275. His biggest nemesis (Bill Russell) was listed at either 6-9 or 6-10 and 220. The NBA back then was at lot shorter, smaller, slower, and weaker. The fact they banned dunking tells me a few things.
It tells me that most guys weren't dunking and that it was so easy for him that the league deemed it unfair.

Don't get me wrong he is an all time great. But I don't think he was so dominate because of his talent as much as it was inferior competition. If he played in the 90's when David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Shaq, & Hakeem were all in their prime I doubt he would put up all those crazy numbers.

Ahead of his time? Yes! Most talented or GOAT? Not really.

It's a lot tougher for a guard like MJ to dominate the game night in & night out in his era than it was for Wilt in his IMO.

torocan
05-16-2012, 01:07 PM
See my thing with Wilt is that, for lack of a better term, he was a cheese.
Honestly I'm way too young to have ever watched him play but it seems to me like he was just way bigger than almost everybody else. Like Shaq playing against High Schoolers.

The man was 7-1 and 275. His biggest nemesis (Bill Russell) was listed at either 6-9 or 6-10 and 220. The NBA back then was at lot shorter, smaller, slower, and weaker. The fact they banned dunking tells me a few things.
It tells me that most guys weren't dunking and that it was so easy for him that the league deemed it unfair.

Don't get me wrong he is an all time great. But I don't think he was so dominate because of his talent as much as it was inferior competition. If he played in the 90's when David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Shaq, & Hakeem were all in their prime I doubt he would put up all those crazy numbers.

Ahead of his time? Yes! Most talented or GOAT? Not really.

It's a lot tougher for a guard like MJ to dominate the game night in & night out in his era than it was for Wilt in his IMO.

You could argue that, but keep in mind he grew up in the same era as his competition, with the same diet and environment.

Yes, he was unnaturally strong (teams had to TRIPLE team him and he would plow through them anyway). Player retrospectives talk about how players would literally hang onto his arms and he would dunk/shoot right THROUGH them.

He was a few inches taller, but not freakishly so. During his era there were plenty of Big Men. Fewer than today, but no shortage of them.

The season after he decided to change his game to a passing game he became the assist leader (helps when everyone triple teams you).

However, saying that it's Cheese is like saying Lebron (6'10") is cheese for his height contributing to him being able to dominate players that are 6'7".

Height and strength are physical gifts, just like shooting, speed, etc.

And let's not forget he is believed to have had a 50" vertical. Lebron James, one of the highest flyers in the league has a measured vertical of 44". He's no Shaq, despite having poor FT shooting in common.

He jumped 6" HIGHER Than Lebron.

He also ran the 100 yard dash in 10.9s (think 4.4s for the 40). That's INSANELY fast...

That's pretty darn physically gifted by any measure.

NYflightboy
05-16-2012, 01:21 PM
You could argue that, but keep in mind he grew up in the same era as his competition, with the same diet and environment.

Yes, he was unnaturally strong (teams had to TRIPLE team him and he would plow through them anyway). Player retrospectives talk about how players would literally hang onto his arms and he would dunk/shoot right THROUGH them.

He was a few inches taller, but not freakishly so. During his era there were plenty of Big Men. Fewer than today, but no shortage of them.

The season after he decided to change his game to a passing game he became the assist leader (helps when everyone triple teams you).

However, saying that it's Cheese is like saying Lebron (6'10") is cheese for his height contributing to him being able to dominate players that are 6'7".

Height and strength are physical gifts, just like shooting, speed, etc. And let's not forget he is believe to have had a 50" vertical. Lebron James, one of the highest flyers in the league has a measured vertical of 44". He's no Shaq, despite having poor FT shooting in common.

He jumped 6" HIGHER Than Lebron.

He also ran the 100 yard dash in 10.9s (think 4.4s for the 40). That's INSANELY fast...

That's pretty darn physically gifted by any measure.

You sound like my dad. lol He's always trying to convince me that Wilt or Oscar Robinson are the greatest. And I will tell you what I tell him... Kiss my ***. YOU'RE WRONG!!! lol

But seriously he was a beast of a man and was incredibly athletic for his size. 50" Vert though? I dunno. According to my high school physics teacher, Mr. Budin, the highest a human can possibly jump is 48". Though he did give me the impression that he had never seen a basketball or a black man for that matter. lol I don't really know where I'm going with this so I'm going to continue...

Damn, I really can't. Oh well. Good day, gents.

torocan
05-16-2012, 01:30 PM
You sound like my dad. lol He's always trying to convince me that Wilt or Oscar Robinson are the greatest. And I will tell you what I tell him... Kiss my ***. YOU'RE WRONG!!! lol

But seriously he was a beast of a man and was incredibly athletic for his size. 50" Vert though? I dunno. According to my high school physics teacher, Mr. Budin, the highest a human can possibly jump is 48". Though he did give me the impression that he had never seen a basketball or a black man for that matter. lol I don't really know where I'm going with this so I'm going to continue...

Damn, I really can't. Oh well. Good day, gents.

I'm not arguing he's the greatest player ever, or the most athletically gifted (though arguments could be made for both depending on who you talk to).

I simply argue he was the most Dominant single player in NBA history for the era he played in, and that it's incorrect to say he was like Shaq. Wilt was extremely athletic as well as big.

How athletic? Take a look at this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EpVZS26BUs

There are lots of photo's showing him exceeding 40" in his vertical leap, and he claimed personally at his peak his leap (sargeant) ranged around 46-48", with some observers believing he could hit as high as 50". Take it with a grain of salt if you wish, but he was no ordinary big man.

Big, fast, freakishly athletic. An unbelievable combination for just about any era.