PDA

View Full Version : Should Officials Take Part In Post-Game Press Conferences?

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2012, 01:29 PM
This is an interesting idea. Coaches, players get fined for complaining about the officiating, but really, after a game where you royally got screwed by the officials and only lost by a bucket, comments will be made. Maybe if we just have the officials do a post-game interview, the press could handle all the questionable calls and explain why they are so moronic.

yanksrock
05-13-2012, 01:32 PM
That would be fun but will never fly.

PhillyFaninLA
05-13-2012, 01:34 PM
No they shouldn't.

They are employees and have to answer to the league, if they don't do there jobs they should be handled behind closed doors. Also with how idiotic some fans are regardless of the sport or the team (all teams have the idiots) you will be putting some relatively nameless people into potentially a horrible situation.

Rivera
05-13-2012, 01:40 PM
No they shouldn't.

They are employees and have to answer to the league, if they don't do there jobs they should be handled behind closed doors. Also with how idiotic some fans are regardless of the sport or the team (all teams have the idiots) you will be putting some relatively nameless people into potentially a horrible situation.

but so are NBA players :shrug:

Cfrey
05-13-2012, 01:40 PM
No they shouldn't.

pretty much summed it up

Cfrey
05-13-2012, 01:42 PM
but so are NBA players :shrug:

NBA players are the product.

Yes, technically they are employees I gotchu but they are the product of the NBA a business. Referees, league officials, and any other positions in which one directly works for the NBA off the court is a different story.

JasonJohnHorn
05-13-2012, 01:52 PM
But don't players and fans have a right to know that when officials make mistakes that they are held accountable. Like Reggie Evans getting a tech for high-fiving a teammate. What was that about? Don't fans and players a like deserve a little context, and an explanation as to why certain calls are being made on the floor. Officials sometimes act like they are omnipotent and don't have to answer to anybody. Like when Joey Crawford called a tech on Tim Ducan for laughing on the bench. Crawford should be fined, or suspended. These types of calls can decide a game. If an official is just going to randomly give somebody a tech for laughing on the bench, or high-fiving a player, don't fans who pay to see the game, or players who make their living by it, deserve to know what is being done about these inconsitencies? The NFL actually issues apologies to teams when bad calls are made. The NBA won't even talk about Duncan's tech for laughing on the bench, or Reggie Evans getting a tech for high-fiving a player. I mean, Jesus, players shooting free-throws get four high fives after each free throw attempt. How is it one player gets a tech for this? we deserve transparency and explanations.

Rivera
05-13-2012, 01:59 PM
NBA players are the product.

Yes, technically they are employees I gotchu but they are the product of the NBA a business. Referees, league officials, and any other positions in which one directly works for the NBA off the court is a different story.

but the officiating is part of the product though. if officials make extra-ordinary bad calls likely the nba product was bad

if it was an even officiated game likely the nba product was good

LakersMaster24
05-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Yes! Great idea!

Some of those calls are extremely questionable! Id love to see a solid explanation from someone like Joey Crawford.

Cfrey
05-13-2012, 02:17 PM
but the officiating is part of the product though. if officials make extra-ordinary bad calls likely the nba product was bad

if it was an even officiated game likely the nba product was good

ehhh i see your point.. i still think its a little different however

you cant put officials up there to explain the calls that they made you just cant

thekmp211
05-13-2012, 02:39 PM
i like the spirit of the idea but it would get really ugly really fast. we already over srutinize to some extent, that would just get worse.

Corey
05-13-2012, 03:14 PM
So we want to give refs more spotlight than they already have? No thank you.

Referees already have some of the biggest egos in sports. They dont need their own press conferences.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-13-2012, 03:24 PM
So we want to give refs more spotlight than they already have? No thank you.

Referees already have some of the biggest egos in sports. They dont need their own press conferences.

Was about to say the same thing. Refs like Joey Crawford already feel like people came to see them and take control of the game. Imagine how much of a nightmare it would be they had press conferences as well.

sixer04fan
05-13-2012, 04:00 PM
They would get killed haha. They take enough abuse from the players, fans, and coaches during the game. Forcing them to answer to the media as well is just mean.

MrFastBreak
05-13-2012, 04:07 PM
This is an interesting idea. Coaches, players get fined for complaining about the officiating, but really, after a game where you royally got screwed by the officials and only lost by a bucket, comments will be made. Maybe if we just have the officials do a post-game interview, the press could handle all the questionable calls and explain why they are so moronic.

How beneficial would this be?

willabeast77
05-13-2012, 06:19 PM
No, I think this would be a horrible idea.

Dade County
05-13-2012, 06:37 PM
And have a big HD screen their to go over the plays....

I am in favor!!! Officials need to be exposed.

dc5jdm
05-13-2012, 09:30 PM
I would love to watch that, the refs need to be held accountable for bad calls. Why is it that a player or coach can be fined for comments in the officiating, but refs get a free pass for bad calls. I hate when major companies like the NBA in a way make an un even playing field. I feel as if the refs have too much power and a chief referee should be on the scores table with instant replay on every questionable call. Let's get these calls straight and these bs techs over turn so they won't harm a team. Yes it takes hardwork and some luck to win but that luck should be in the bounce of the ball and not on the tip of a whistle.

dc5jdm
05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Btw PSD should have a like button to like someones comments. Just saying

GREATNESS ONE
05-13-2012, 09:34 PM
Lol this is original. I would find it amusing watching them trying to explain calls. Never will happen.

Dade County
05-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Btw PSD should have a like button to like someones comments. Just saying

for some reason.... this sounds sooooo homo lol

dc5jdm
05-14-2012, 01:30 AM
for some reason.... this sounds sooooo homo lol

Haha it does but I would rather click like than quote and "lol"

Soonerule
05-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Why shouldn't referees be interviewed? They got something to hide? There would be a whole lot of issues that may take care of themselves if these guys knew they were going to be held accountable for their actions.

hornetsfansydne
05-14-2012, 02:30 AM
And have a big HD screen their to go over the plays....

I am in favor!!! Officials need to be exposed.

That is the problem!! We as fans have the benefit of instant replay but the ref has to make the call in a split second and decide foul, violation or no call. And I can guarantee you that they do have a post game with a referee coach (I know we do here in Australia) where certain calls are questioned and they are scrutinized.

Officials do not deliberately screw up, things happen because they are human!! Players make mistakes because they are human and so do referees, it is just unfortunate that they get picked up by people on this site who seem to have no knowledge of refereeing principles

hornetsfansydne
05-14-2012, 02:34 AM
I would love to watch that, the refs need to be held accountable for bad calls. Why is it that a player or coach can be fined for comments in the officiating, but refs get a free pass for bad calls. I hate when major companies like the NBA in a way make an un even playing field. I feel as if the refs have too much power and a chief referee should be on the scores table with instant replay on every questionable call. Let's get these calls straight and these bs techs over turn so they won't harm a team. Yes it takes hardwork and some luck to win but that luck should be in the bounce of the ball and not on the tip of a whistle.

Refs do not get a free pass!! After every game they will do a post game with a referee coach and these questionable calls will be examined.

As for a chief referee there already happens to be one, the guy throwing the ball up is referee whilst the other two are known as umpire 1 and 2. The referee has certain powers that he will use but only if necessary like in fights, strange situations that result in specific rule knowledge etc.

Now if we are to use your idea of instant replay for every call the game will be for 5 hours! As it is the game goes for too long in my opinion with the ridiculous amount of time outs but why prolong the game?? Basketball is meant to be a fast sport and reviewing most plays will just detract from the game we all enjoy

dc5jdm
05-14-2012, 02:46 AM
Refs do not get a free pass!! After every game they will do a post game with a referee coach and these questionable calls will be examined.

As for a chief referee there already happens to be one, the guy throwing the ball up is referee whilst the other two are known as umpire 1 and 2. The referee has certain powers that he will use but only if necessary like in fights, strange situations that result in specific rule knowledge etc.

Now if we are to use your idea of instant replay for every call the game will be for 5 hours! As it is the game goes for too long in my opinion with the ridiculous amount of time outs but why prolong the game?
? Basketball is meant to be a fast sport and reviewing most plays will just detract from the game we all enjoy

They do get a free pass!!! And I said every questionable call not every call the ref tossing up the ball would be a regular ref while the chief ref is on the scores table.

hornetsfansydne
05-14-2012, 03:01 AM
They do get a free pass!!! And I said every questionable call not every call the ref tossing up the ball would be a regular ref while the chief ref is on the scores table.

How is it a free pass?? Because the league doesn't come out and say this ref has been dropped?

JasonJohnHorn
05-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I agree, doing and instant replay for each play would take to long. I never suggested that be the case. What I think might work is if teams were allowed 3 instant replays each game to use when they see fit, but only three. If a call is reversed then it won't count and the team would retain all three instant replay, if it is not then there would only be 2 instant replays left.

tcav701
05-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Never happen.

I would love to see it but how long do you think it will be for an official puts his foot in his mouth and admits some sort of bias or fix.