PDA

View Full Version : Winning MVP and title in same year is historically tough

Wade>You
05-12-2012, 07:43 PM
http://chasing23.com/why-dont-nba-mvps-win-championships/
History has shown that it is extremely challenging for NBA players to win both the MVP and a NBA Championship within the same season, despite the fact that the MVP is usually awarded to the “best player on the best team” during the regular season. Below are the select group of 12 players that were successful in accomplishing this rare feat. Included are stats for each relevant season, courtesy of Basketball-Reference.com (http://www.basketball-reference.com/):

List of players (http://chasing23.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/MVP-e1299128670816.gif)Doesn't bode well for the Heat, but it would put LeBron in the same conversation with legendary players.

YungDaSensai
05-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Lebron will make 13 :D

Slug3
05-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Well no one on this team won MVP last year and we still didn't win. So it can go both ways.

naps
05-13-2012, 02:23 AM
Doesn't matter. I for one don't believe in those superstitious stuff. And it's not like it never happened. Only 7 players won the 3 or more MVPs before LeBron. If LeBron can join that elite club he can damn sure join those 12 guys who won MVP and ring in the same year. Even if it never happened it wouldn't scare me. Before it happened for the first time with Bill Russell no one probably thought it would happen probably but it did. Let's face it. If our team is playing to it's strength there's no stopping for us. We would have won last year as well if LeBron hadn't completely disappeared in the finals. For us not to win this year something strange like that has to happen. I don't think two years in row our players will let that happen.

FreakaNashur
05-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Doesn't matter. I for one don't believe in those superstitious stuff. And it's not like it never happened. Only 7 players won the 3 or more MVPs before LeBron. If LeBron can join that elite club he can damn sure join those 12 guys who won MVP and ring in the same year. Even if it never happened it wouldn't scare me. Before it happened for the first time with Bill Russell no one probably thought it would happen probably but it did. Let's face it. If our team is playing to it's strength there's no stopping for us. We would have won last year as well if LeBron hadn't completely disappeared in the finals. For us not to win this year something strange like that has to happen. I don't think two years in row our players will let that happen.

:clap:

8kobe24
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM

I don't think its so much about superstition...but I guess when you win the most prestigious award for the regular season, it's like you've been marked and you are a walking target a triple team magnet.

FreakaNashur
05-14-2012, 04:29 PM
winning a title either way it's tough. IT IS THE NBA! nothing is ever easy.