PDA

View Full Version : Did Adidas overpay for Rubio?

Chronz
05-11-2012, 06:30 PM
http://www.tubasket.com/noticia/mas-basket/primicia-mundial-adidas-ficha-ricky-contrato-megaestrella-solo-superado-rose-howard/1762651/3

Thats the original source but heres a snippet from the internets translated. Basically the dude became the 3rd highest grossing shoe man in Adidas. Only Dwight and Rose make more... barely.

Ricky Rubio and German company Adidas could have closed one of the most lucrative sponsorship contracts in sports history. As reported in the web tubasket.com, Catalan Nike will be a man of the three stripes for $ 240 million (193 million) over the next 14 years.

It would become so, the third highest paid for this brand in the NBA. Only mega stars Howard and Rose would get more than the base 21.

This step, if confirmed, is notable for how strong is the commitment to the Spanish. Ricky could not play anything more than a couple of months in the best basketball competition in the world after an accidental collision with Kobe Bryant will cost a serious knee injury.

Nevertheless, the impact of media and sports Rubio has been spectacular, something that man has become a major brand on the basis of the financial offer.

Rose, Dwight.... Rubio. What happened to the whole, he cant make endorsement money in Minnesota he was saying before he came over?

lakers4sho
05-11-2012, 06:34 PM
inb4 crooner rant

Agar81
05-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Adidas has to overpay for everybody due to the fact that Nike is generally considered superior. Most people know Nike is more popular and considered the better overall company.

SteveNash
05-11-2012, 06:46 PM
Adidas is insane. Same company that gave Telfair that huge contract before he was even drafted.

Lin is worth more right now than Rubio.

2-ONE-5
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
^no he is not.

faridk89
05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Adidas ball shoes >>>>> nike ball shoes

topdog
05-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Whoever says Nike is better than Adidas just likes hype. If we're talking style and production, then Adidas wins. But of course you aren't cool if you don't have the latest Forces :facepalm:

It's a pretty smart move I think assuming Rubio stays healthy. His talent and style of play are sure to attract attention and he might just help to further basketball amongst Latinos (and yes I know he is a Spaniard and not Latino).

FarOutIos
05-11-2012, 07:04 PM
^no he is not.

Depending on how much influence each has over the country's they target (Spain and China), then Lin probably is WAY more valuable as China is a bigger market.

I don't know how the shoe business works as far as international sales... but his statement does make sense.

ManRam
05-11-2012, 07:07 PM
I have no idea if they paid too much...I'm sure they crunched the numbers better than I ever could. Adidas probably has to spend a little more than Nike anyways.

As for him being the third highest paid player, who does Adidas have after Dwight and Rose? Josh Smith? T-Mac? Tim Duncan?

It's not like they have a ton of super-mega-starts signed. Looking at the roster, I'm pretty certain he'll be the most marketable of the bunch...

lakerboy
05-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Any better source?

homestarunner93
05-11-2012, 07:20 PM
No. He's an international icon in a way most players are not.

bbcmillionaire
05-11-2012, 07:25 PM
-_- sad that all 3 (rose rubio and Dwight) are hurt

D.O.N.
05-11-2012, 07:44 PM
I don't think they overpaid.

Adidas is mora popular in Europe and Rubio will be the most relevant european player in the league whithin 2-3 years.

Dirk is old, Pau is old, and other european players are average starters and role players so Rubio's is worth a lot

They maybe could have got him for less but, i dont think they overpaid...

John Walls Era
05-11-2012, 08:11 PM
I don't think they overpaid.

Adidas is mora popular in Europe and Rubio will be the most relevant european player in the league whithin 2-3 years.

Dirk is old, Pau is old, and other european players are average starters and role players so Rubio's is worth a lot

They maybe could have got him for less but, i dont think they overpaid...

yea because they sponser a majority of the soccer teams and players.

D.O.N.
05-11-2012, 08:26 PM
yea because they sponser a majority of the soccer teams and players.

That's the main reason, but still...

smith&wesson
05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
weird that rose, howard, and rubio are all hurt. strange coincidence.. and yes i work for nike :up:

KnicksTape
05-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Whoever says Nike is better than Adidas just likes hype. If we're talking style and production, then Adidas wins. But of course you aren't cool if you don't have the latest Forces :facepalm:

It's a pretty smart move I think assuming Rubio stays healthy. His talent and style of play are sure to attract attention and he might just help to further basketball amongst Latinos (and yes I know he is a Spaniard and not Latino).

Has nothing to do with being cool to most..Imo using both brands, nike always came out on top for me.

BKLYNpigeon
05-11-2012, 09:00 PM
Adidas is a European Company, German I think and way, way older then Nike.

in the USA we pronounce it as its spelled, Adidas. But in Europe its pronounced Ad-di-das, (the correct way of pronouncing it)

I was traveling through Europe and Rubio is all over Europe. Hes the face of Basketball there, along with Gasol, Dirk and Tony Parker. His deal is well deserved. think outside of the bubble fellas.

BKLYNpigeon
05-11-2012, 09:03 PM
I cant say much about basketball shoes, but Adidas makes the best Soccer shoes. Nike has GREAT Marketing and the best innovator of Materials and Textiles for shoes.

Eagles710
05-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Nope, he is international

Punk
05-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Wow, that's pretty crazy. The biggest reason I say that is because if Dwight goes to Brooklyn, he would make 300 million off his Addias deal. 240 in Minnesota and 300 in NY isn't too far off.

I don't think they overpaid one bit, before Jeremy Lin everyone was talking about Rubio being the real deal and how awesome to watch he was.

Rubio is officially in the NBA Superstar crop. Addias is a global company and better than Nike, much better. Well deserved.

Addias has been on a roll with Rose, Iman, now Rubio.

xILLN355
05-11-2012, 09:57 PM
Adidas ball shoes >>>>> nike ball shoes

this x10000. i haven't had an ankle injury since i made the switch from nike to adidas

LAKobeBryant
05-11-2012, 10:35 PM
240 million will be 140 million in 14 years lmao.

Hellcrooner
05-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Its a gamble on Adidas part.

If Rubio comes back right from teh injury ( im not confident) and becomes what he can/is supposed to/potentially could be he would be a global icon.
Porbably the most Marketable Euro ever, cause lets recognise it, Divac, Kukoc, Sabonis, Pau, Dirk they are all low prifle laid back guys with solid fundamentals but No Flash.

Rubio has all the flash ( and the flair) in the world.

NoahH
05-11-2012, 11:10 PM
This will pay off for Adidas

montazingmvp
05-12-2012, 05:18 AM

in the USA we pronounce it as its spelled, Adidas. But in Europe its pronounced Ad-di-das, (the correct way of pronouncing it)

I was traveling through Europe and Rubio is all over Europe. Hes the face of Basketball there, along with Gasol, Dirk and Tony Parker. His deal is well deserved. think outside of the bubble fellas.

What do you mean all over Europe? This wasn't my experience at all...

Philapsychosis
05-12-2012, 06:21 AM

Where exactly were you traveling? I live in Germany, and travel everywhere and I have not seen a single thing on rubio, even in barça. Maybe, and that's maybe a tail end of a sports broadcast. People love basketball here, but to say Rubio is the face...... That's just incorrect

Hawkeye15
05-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Did we not see the entire basketball world go depressed mode when Rubio went down? The dude is flashy, marketable, and will sell merchandise world wide, especially concerning how many latin countries there are, as well as Europe in general (he is huge over there).

He doesn't belong in the same sentence on the basketball floor as Dwight or Rose, but Adidas isn't raking in the superstars, so him getting that money is an investment, not for his prior production or proven marketability.

Corey
05-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Considering the weight he holds in Europe, I dont think they overpaid at all.

CoffeeJanitor
05-12-2012, 10:57 AM
Kid is popular around the league as well as in Europe. Makes sense.

bbal995
05-12-2012, 11:12 AM
Adidas is still paying Telfair. They want another bad contract to pay once his ends. Anyways, if Rubio can get this much averaging 10 ppg and 8 apg on 35% (yes that's thirty five) fg % then how much would someone who can actually ball get. How much would Jordan have got had he been playing today ?

Cfrey
05-12-2012, 11:28 AM
There is no way he was overpaid.. Rubio arguably could be one of the biggest world icons in the next few years.. He captivated a fan base starving for winning basketball and he obviously is a huge international star as well..

As he gets bigger and bigger in the NBA, he will be right up there with some of the most prominent athletes in sports.

Hellcrooner
05-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Adidas is still paying Telfair. They want another bad contract to pay once his ends. Anyways, if Rubio can get this much averaging 10 ppg and 8 apg on 35% (yes that's thirty five) fg % then how much would someone who can actually ball get. How much would Jordan have got had he been playing today ?

Care to check the Record of the wolves With rubio starting and wthouth him?

Or how many points teh TEam scored with him and withouth him?

Or how many points the team received with him and without HIm?

Stats dont tell Rubios Story.

NYKnicks4511
05-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Adidas is insane. Same company that gave Telfair that huge contract before he was even drafted.

Lin is worth more right now than Rubio.

Lin has the potential to be worth more. China has an absolutely insane market for sports stars, just ask Yao Ming. If Yao pursued every business venture he was presented with, or even half, he'd be a billionaire.

Rubio has a lot of market appeal in Europe, I think this was a good move by adidas.

Hellcrooner
05-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Lin has the potential to be worth more. China has an absolutely insane market for sports stars, just ask Yao Ming. If Yao pursued every business venture he was presented with, or even half, he'd be a billionaire.

Rubio has a lot of market appeal in Europe, I think this was a good move by adidas.

Im not sure bout Lin and China.

As far as i know he is TAIWANESSE and theres a LOT of bad blood between CHina and Taiwan.

BALKIS2K12
05-12-2012, 12:11 PM
LIL RICKY wont even be playing basketball next year lol. Free money for RICKY!

lakers4sho
05-12-2012, 12:11 PM

As far as i know he is TAIWANESSE and theres a LOT of bad blood between CHina and Taiwan.

actually i don't think that matters here

ALL of my chinese (actually from china) and chinese-american (actually all of my asian) friends are lin fans

BALKIS2K12
05-12-2012, 12:20 PM

yeah the kid is more over-rated in minny than roddy beabouis was in dallas. both split their knees wide-open too.

but yeah ill take LITTLE BAREA's 16.8 P.P.G. & 9.8 A.P.G. over lil rickys 10 points & 8 assists anyday. esp when you realize jj did all this w/o love & luke & jj himself unlike lil ricky!

VikesTwinsWolve
05-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Depending on how much influence each has over the country's they target (Spain and China), then Lin probably is WAY more valuable as China is a bigger market.

I don't know how the shoe business works as far as international sales... but his statement does make sense.

Yeah......and Yao ming is still starting in the all star game haha.

Raph12
05-12-2012, 12:47 PM
I'm sure Rubio sells in Europe, just like Lin would sell worldwide, he'll probably cash in before everyone realizes that he isn't that good.

heyman321
05-12-2012, 01:09 PM

Not true at all, Chinese fans are huge fans of Lin, it's not like politics will get in the way of those 2 billion kids who dream to be the next NBA star.

Anyways, Rubio should get whatever he can, he's marketable, and he's GOOD, and hopefully will be when he comes back from his injury.

CoffeeJanitor
05-12-2012, 01:16 PM
yeah the kid is more over-rated in minny than roddy beabouis was in dallas. both split their knees wide-open too.

but yeah ill take LITTLE BAREA's 16.8 P.P.G. & 9.8 A.P.G. over lil rickys 10 points & 8 assists anyday. esp when you realize jj did all this w/o love & luke & jj himself unlike lil ricky!Is this that crazy Barea fan guy

Someone tell me this is him

Raps18-19 Champ
05-12-2012, 01:30 PM
He'll appeal to the European fans and he'll be a star in the future anyways.

They pretty much just locked him up before Nike could so they paid a bit more.

thekmp211
05-12-2012, 01:37 PM
if and when the wolves make the playoffs and start getting some national TV play i think it will be okay. i think his phenom appeal makes it worth the risk, although there is always the risk of something like bassy telfair who had a similar buzz and brand coming out. would not have been a wise long term investment.

Hellcrooner
05-12-2012, 03:12 PM

but yeah ill take LITTLE BAREA's 16.8 P.P.G. & 9.8 A.P.G. over lil rickys 10 points & 8 assists anyday. esp when you realize jj did all this w/o love & luke & jj himself unlike lil ricky!

Ask anyone in minnie....or hech in the whole globe except Puerto Rico wich record they preffer , wolves record with rubio or wolves record with Barea.:rolleyes:

THE MTL
05-12-2012, 04:01 PM
How does adidas pay these guy so much money. Rose, howard, rubio all get over 200 million dollars!

Ebbs
05-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Watch him lose hiw work ethic and never be the same player after that lucrative deal. You don't give a kid that much cash

BALKIS2K12
05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
Watch him lose hiw work ethic and never be the same player after that lucrative deal. You don't give a kid that much cash

the kid has been spoiled his whole life his parents are rich. i dont think it will matter hes use to having alot of daddys money.

D-Block21-Chito
05-13-2012, 12:32 AM
No... Rubio is the next Steve Nash plus he from Europe so.... Only cp3 and rose is a better point guard than Rubio. Being Spanish is a huge plus for addidas. And to say Nike is better than addidas is just personal preference. I buy way more addidas than Nike....

Tom2634
05-13-2012, 03:17 AM
weird that rose, howard, and rubio are all hurt. strange coincidence.. and yes i work for nike :up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mU8uUBVRIw
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mU8uUBVRIw)

Skip to 13 sec and tell me what kind of shoes he's wearing...

iam brett favre
05-13-2012, 03:52 AM
Did adidas overpay...? Honestly, why would you care?

MagicBucsSox
05-13-2012, 04:37 AM
This is a dumb thread. Yeah I guess a billion dollar company don't know what to do with. There money.

DaLakerz Rulz
05-13-2012, 04:52 AM
How does adidas pay these guy so much money. Rose, howard, rubio all get over 200 million dollars!

Because its spread over a decade and a half. Any they probably have more money than they know what to do with.

John Walls Era
05-13-2012, 05:14 AM
I'd be worry more about the injury than the money affecting his game.

I like this guy.

Plus I can't trust a kid who needs his mom to cut his steaks (true story).

John Walls Era
05-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Did I hear someone mention WORLD ICON in the future of sports? :laugh:

Basketball is never the number 1 sport in any country (I don't count the philippines... I don't hold their athletes with much regard, not when Manny Pacquiao is considered their Country's greatest athlete). He will be known, but he won't be held in high regards compare to football players (that goes for American Football and Soccer in Europe).

John Walls Era
05-13-2012, 05:20 AM
He'll appeal to the European fans and he'll be a star in the future anyways.

They pretty much just locked him up before Nike could so they paid a bit more.

Nike doesn't need him. They have famous athletes in every sport. I'm an Adidas shoe guy (though they can't touch Puma is soccer), but the quality of athletes they have really dropped off. So its a good investment in getting Rubio, though premature.

Hellcrooner
05-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Did I hear someone mention WORLD ICON in the future of sports? :laugh:

Basketball is never the number 1 sport in any country (I don't count the philippines... I don't hold their athletes with much regard, not when Manny Pacquiao is considered their Country's greatest athlete). He will be known, but he won't be held in high regards compare to football players (that goes for American Football and Soccer in Europe).

Lithuania.

John Walls Era
05-13-2012, 05:44 PM
yes forget that lithuania has a surprisingly good history in bball. but my point still stands.

thekmp211
05-13-2012, 05:53 PM
^^ all i'll say is that one could make a strong case that michael jordan is the most famous athlete globally of all time. nba player. clearly rubio is ... not jordan. but it's greatness people gravitate to regardless of the sport.

Ezekial
05-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Some people don't understand howe basketball is a business. Yao Ming wasn't the greatest C of all time but look how much money they made off of him in china. Ricky Rubio is going to be a great passer in this league, and spain and all europe will buy rubio gear.

raiderposting
05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Lin and Rubio do deserve huge deals. Not because of their play, that has a tiny part to do with it, but because of their marketability. A ton of Asians in america and in foreign countries will love to get a pair of Lins shoes. And The whole continent of Europe will like to get Rubios shoes. The same can be said for other foreign players, but most of them are big men, and the guards always seemed to have more fans, because people think they can replicate them when their playing with their friends.

Hellcrooner
05-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Just a question.

I assume tennis might be the 9th or 10th most followed sports in the world, including america.

How many of you Know Rafa Nadal and/or have seen some ad with Nadal In.

NetsPaint
05-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Aside from the spanish market, Rubio is going to be amazing, and soon as long as his injury heals soon.

Also he has the look.

BALKIS2K12
05-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Rubio has a wooden legg now dude how is he going to be amazing?

CoffeeJanitor
05-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Just a question.

I assume tennis might be the 9th or 10th most followed sports in the world, including america.

How many of you Know Rafa Nadal and/or have seen some ad with Nadal In.Love tennis but I hardly ever see Rafa in ads

Mostly Fed

WhatAFAIL
05-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Yep, they did. They should have signed Rondo to a deal. He's the present and the future of the point guard position.

jericho
05-14-2012, 11:18 AM

yo im puertorican born and raised there i love barea but everybody knows that somebody has to score on a team that is not that good barea is good coming of the bench as a 6th or 7th man rubio i just love watching him play oh and rubio can play d unlike barea hope rubio recovers quickly cuz he was fun to watch

SteveNash
05-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Just a question.

How many of you Know Rafa Nadal and/or have seen some ad with Nadal In.

Nadal 10 GS, Rubio 10 Wins.

People don't really know or care about Rubio enough to buy his own shoes.

People keep bringing up Europe like it's this glob of land united by a currency. In fact pretty much everyone hates Spain right now, no one will want shoes by a Spaniard, helping those who screwed the EU. And the Spanish will be too poor to afford them.

And that's ignoring the fact that Rubio is:

A. Injured.
B. Not a great player.

montazingmvp
05-17-2012, 06:20 AM
^^ all i'll say is that one could make a strong case that michael jordan is the most famous athlete globally of all time. nba player. clearly rubio is ... not jordan. but it's greatness people gravitate to regardless of the sport.

MJ is up there, but I would Pele and Muhammed Ali ahead of him.

Billy Bounce
05-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Adidas contracts seems like bad karma for basketball players : Howard, Rose, Rubio got injured . Hopefully the rest of the players with Adidas contracts ( Batum, Ibaka) will avoid this *****.

And, nope Rubio wasn't overpaid. I don't know if he's great, but he's extremely flashy , so he's got enough media attention to justify his contract.

natelpete
05-17-2012, 09:10 AM
-_- sad that all 3 (rose rubio and Dwight) are hurt

It's the Adidas conspiracy

StinkEye
05-17-2012, 09:31 AM
No it's awful... I bet Adidas did no sort of analysis on what this endorsement would bring in to them, and they just decided to blindly throw money at the kid. We know better at PSD.