PDA

View Full Version : Which All-Time Fantasy Team is the Greatest?

Bruno
05-11-2012, 06:08 PM
Some buddies of mine did an all-time NBA fantasy draft over some beers during yesterdays game (like TNT did here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BofOXnyQWZk). There were four of us, we had snake rotation, and each of us picked 15 players. There were no rules. My question for PSD is, who selected the best team? (assume all players are in their primes)

I attached a poll. mods- feel free to move this wherever you find most appropriate, although i'd appreciate it if i could get some votes in the general nba forum before it's moved. i recommend everyone does this at home with their buddies, it's good fun.

TEAM ONE
PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Kobe Bryant
F: Dirk Nowitzki
F: Bill Russell
C: Patrick Ewing

PG: John Stockton
PG: Pete Marovich
PG/SG: Allen Iverson
SG: Reggie Miller
SG/SF: John Havlicek
SG/SF: George Gervin
SG/SF: Paul Pierce
PF/C: Kevin McHale
C: Dikembe Mutombo
C: Dwight Howard

TEAM TWO:
G: Jason Kidd
G: Michael Jordan
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

PG: Steve Nash
PG: Isiah Thomas
PG/SG: Dwyane Wade
PG/SG: Jason Terry
SG/SF: Julius Erving (Dr. J)
PF: Kevin Garnett
PF: Robert Horry
PF/C: Ben Wallace
C: Moses Malone
C: Alonzo Mourning

TEAM THREE:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Oscar Robertson
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: LeBron James
C: Shaquille O'neal

PG: Derrick Rose
PG: Dennis Johnson
PG/SG: James Harden
SG: Clyde Drexler
SG/SF: Tracy McGrady
PF: Dennis Rodman
PF: Shawn Kemp
PF: Chris Webber
C: David Robinson
C: Bill Walton

TEAM FOUR:
PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Jerry West
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kareem-Abdul Jabbar
C: Wilt Chamberlain

PG: Russell Westbrook
PG: Deron Williams
SG: Manu Ginobli
SG: Ray Allen
SG/SF: Vince Carter
SF: Dominique Wilkins
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Charles Barkley
PF: Karl Malone
PF/C: Kevin Love

Gibby
05-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Team 2

Greatest SG,SF,PF which includes the greatest player. A Top 5 center, maybe top3. Only flaw is they dont have a PG in the backcourt but if they replace wade with Isiah then that solves it.

Bruno
05-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Team 2

Greatest SG,SF,PF which includes the greatest player. A Top 5 center, maybe top3. Only flaw is they dont have a PG in the backcourt but if they replace wade with Isiah then that solves it.

thanks gibby. the starting line up for that team was built around the best players. for a better fit, Kidd, Nash, or Isiah could be put in at PG depending on match-ups. wade could come off the bench and back up MJ and one of those three PGs could come in and run the show.

THE MTL
05-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Team 2 is the best. Followed by Team 1.

I question ALOT of the picks on Teams 3 and 4. Alot of those guys are good, but for an all-time NBA draft? Harden? Westbrook? Johnson? Love?

Bruno
05-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Team 2 is the best. Followed by Team 1.

I question ALOT of the picks on Teams 3 and 4. Alot of those guys are good, but for an all-time NBA draft? Harden? Westbrook? Johnson? Love?

thanks for the input. keep in mind, these teams go 15 deep and that 13-15 on each team wouldn't even be eligible to suit up.

Vincent33
05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
It was a toss up between Team Jordan/Bird and Team Russell/Magic.

Went with Jordan/Bird. I would have Wade come off the bench though and put a true PG in there like Thomas or Kidd though.

Bruno
05-11-2012, 06:39 PM
It was a toss up between Team Jordan/Bird and Team Russell/Magic.

Went with Jordan/Bird. I would have Wade come off the bench though and put a true PG in there like Thomas or Kidd though.

which they could do, since that team has thomas, kidd and nash.

Baller1
05-11-2012, 06:47 PM
1. Team 2
2. Team 3
3. Team 1
4. Team 4

Bruno
05-11-2012, 06:48 PM
1. Team 2
2. Team 3
3. Team 1
4. Team 4

thanks baller.

GREATNESS ONE
05-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Good teams for the most part. It was a toss up
For me between team 1 & 2 I'm gonna have to think about it a bit more, some of those benches are nasty good

naps
05-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Team 2 for obvious reasons. You gor three GOATs at their respective positions with the ultimate GOAT of the game. Deep roster balanced from top to bottom.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Team 2 and rather easily. The only issue is no PG but they have guys like Kidd, Isiah and Nash on the bench. And the greatest SG, SF and PF on their team along with one of the 3-4 greatest Centers

Reversed86Curse
05-11-2012, 07:51 PM
2 by a landslide. Not sure I understand some of the positioning on the other teams, but good overall.

Bruno
05-11-2012, 07:58 PM
don't get too caught up with the starting line-ups. most of us filled our starting lineups with the most explosive lineups, not the best fits.

thanks for the input everybody

JordansBulls
05-11-2012, 08:42 PM
Some buddies of mine did an all-time NBA fantasy draft over some beers during yesterdays game (like TNT did here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BofOXnyQWZk). There were four of us, we had snake rotation, and each of us picked 15 players. There were no rules. My question for PSD is, who selected the best team? (assume all players are in their primes)

I attached a poll. mods- feel free to move this wherever you find most appropriate, although i'd appreciate it if i could get some votes in the general nba forum before it's moved. i recommend everyone does this at home with their buddies, it's good fun.

TEAM ONE
PG: Magic Johnson
SG: Kobe Bryant
F: Dirk Nowitzki
F: Bill Russell
C: Patrick Ewing

PG: John Stockton
PG: Pete Marovich
PG/SG: Allen Iverson
SG: Reggie Miller
SG/SF: John Havlicek
SG/SF: George Gervin
SG/SF: Paul Pierce
PF/C: Kevin McHale
C: Dikembe Mutombo
C: Dwight Howard

TEAM TWO:
G: Jason Kidd
G: Michael Jordan
SF: Larry Bird
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Hakeem Olajuwon

PG: Steve Nash
PG: Isiah Thomas
PG/SG: Dwyane Wade
PG/SG: Jason Terry
SG/SF: Julius Erving (Dr. J)
PF: Kevin Garnett
PF: Robert Horry
PF/C: Ben Wallace
C: Moses Malone
C: Alonzo Mourning

TEAM THREE:
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Oscar Robertson
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: LeBron James
C: Shaquille O'neal

PG: Derrick Rose
PG: Dennis Johnson
PG/SG: James Harden
SG: Clyde Drexler
SG/SF: Tracy McGrady
PF: Dennis Rodman
PF: Shawn Kemp
PF: Chris Webber
C: David Robinson
C: Bill Walton

TEAM FOUR:
PG: Rajon Rondo
SG: Jerry West
SF: Kevin Durant
PF: Kareem-Abdul Jabbar
C: Wilt Chamberlain

PG: Russell Westbrook
PG: Deron Williams
SG: Manu Ginobli
SG: Ray Allen
SG/SF: Vince Carter
SF: Dominique Wilkins
SF: Carmelo Anthony
PF: Charles Barkley
PF: Karl Malone
PF/C: Kevin Love

Team 2 has 4 top 10 players all time and a bunch of proven stars as well off the bench.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Team 2 without question.
But these teams are weirdly constructed

RonE Coleman
05-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Whatever team has Michael Jordan, team 2.

Jint.
05-11-2012, 09:04 PM
team II :jumpy::jumpy::jumpy:

sixer04fan
05-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Looking at those rosters is making me excited in places I don't feel comfortable talking about.

Bruno
05-12-2012, 12:33 AM
would the people who voted for team two still pick team two if magic was traded for Jordan?

Ebbs
05-12-2012, 05:08 AM
Harden as a top 60 player all time makes me want to hurt myself

naps
05-12-2012, 05:20 AM
would the people who voted for team two still pick team two if magic was traded for Jordan?

I would. You would still have 4 of the top 10 all time. A Magic-Wade backcourt ain't too shabby either. Replace one of Nash/Kidd/Isiah with a shooting guard and it's still good enough for me.

KnicksorBust
05-12-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm disappointed that these teams aren't more evenly matched.

Team 4 dropped the ball in a big way with Malone/Barkley on the bench and Rondo starting.

Team 1 and 3 are playing people out of position to either overcompensate or go with gimmick lineups that won't work.

Team 2 somehow got Jordan-Bird-Duncan-Hakeem. Which makes no sense. Hakeem in the 4th round? I'd almost like to see this draft just to say exactly where these teams went wrong.

Anyway 2 wins easily. I hope that was you Bruno or it'd be embarassing that you posted this and we all voted one of your friends as a LOT smarter than you. :)

KnicksorBust
05-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Clearly these guys were drinking and once they got to 3rd string they had some fun with it... That's how I'd feel about the Rondo pick until I saw that team was starting him. :cool:

Baller1
05-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Absolutely. Team 2 just accumulated way more talent and constructed the team much better than the others.

Baller1
05-12-2012, 11:19 AM

Haha, I have to agree. As well as Rondo and Westbrook.

Bruno
05-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Clearly these guys were drinking and once they got to 3rd string they had some fun with it... That's how I'd feel about the Rondo pick until I saw that team was starting him. :cool:
haha. Rondo feeding Wilt KAJ and KD wouldn't be horrible. the mistake was not taking a better PG, while putting Malone and Barkley on the bench behind kaj and wilt. stockton, kidd, cp3, nash, and thomas were all off the board by then i think.

I'm disappointed that these teams aren't more evenly matched.

Team 4 dropped the ball in a big way with Malone/Barkley on the bench and Rondo starting.

Team 1 and 3 are playing people out of position to either overcompensate or go with gimmick lineups that won't work.

Team 2 somehow got Jordan-Bird-Duncan-Hakeem. Which makes no sense. Hakeem in the 4th round? I'd almost like to see this draft just to say exactly where these teams went wrong.

Anyway 2 wins easily. I hope that was you Bruno or it'd be embarassing that you posted this and we all voted one of your friends as a LOT smarter than you. :)

haha, I took MJ with the second pick (team one picked magic). hakeem was my second pick, followed by Bird, followed by Duncan. I knew team four wasn't the best, but i though team one and three were close enough to my team to at least throw it up for a vote. team three is pretty nasty, especially if you start LBJ at the 3 and put roman at the four. :shrug:

my last three picks were Ben Wallace, Robert Horry, and Jason Terry. Guys like Elgin Baylor, Walt Frazier, and Brandon Roy were still on the board but I wanted to fill it out with a dominant defender, and two clutch-masters.

my 4th quarter final second clutch team is

Nash
Terry
MJ
Bird
Horry

Bruno
05-12-2012, 04:48 PM

he's becoming one of the most efficient combo guards in league history. as of today, his 2012 post-season WS/48 would go down as the 9th highest in league playoff history. :shrug:

although, with guys like baylor and frazier on the board, it was a bit premature. but i'm not outraged. lol.

ManningToTyree
05-12-2012, 04:56 PM
team 2

Rodgers4Pres
05-12-2012, 05:03 PM
does seem like a fun idea but so team 4 drafted there entire team including bench then their starting pg?

Bruno
05-12-2012, 05:06 PM
^hahah.

Bruno
05-12-2012, 05:07 PM
team four could just go ginobli/west in the backcourt.

kozelkid
05-12-2012, 05:09 PM
****, I meant team 2.

Ebbs
05-12-2012, 05:36 PM
he's becoming one of the most efficient combo guards in league history. as of today, his 2012 post-season WS/48 would go down as the 9th highest in league playoff history. :shrug:

although, with guys like baylor and frazier on the board, it was a bit premature. but i'm not outraged. lol.

It's been one season as 3rd fiddle on arguably the leagues best team.

Bruno
05-12-2012, 05:58 PM
It's been one season as 3rd fiddle on arguably the leagues best team.

the stats say he was the best player on the thunder vs. Dallas by far.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/OKC/2012.html

Ebbs
05-12-2012, 06:12 PM
one matchup in a 4 game series in the first round of a team that had already decided they weren't repeating

Bruno
05-12-2012, 06:22 PM
one seven game series against the defending champs

fixed it for ya. :D

Baller1
05-12-2012, 06:27 PM
one matchup in a 4 game series in the first round of a team that had already decided they weren't repeating

I don't disagree with you that him being drafted in this thing was ridiculous, but you can't just write off how incredibly efficient he's been either.

msc43
05-14-2012, 02:44 AM
I have team 2 winning by a landslide. Kinda surprised how John Stockton or Pistol Pete aren't starting. Also, no love for Bob Cousy or Elgin Baylor?

Ebbs
05-14-2012, 04:47 AM
fixed it for ya. :D

I think your confused

I don't disagree with you that him being drafted in this thing was ridiculous, but you can't just write off how incredibly efficient he's been either.

I can't put him on a list of all time greats regardless of efficiency due to his situation and 1 year of note.

Bruno
05-14-2012, 06:48 AM
I think your confused

i think not.

ChiSox219
05-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Harden's a superstar, he's already proven he's no third fiddle, and he's been doing it for more than one series or season.

LAKERMANIA
05-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Team 2 then Team 1