PDA

View Full Version : Instant Re-play?

JasonJohnHorn
05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
It works in foot ball, and we all know the officials make enough bad calls. they are now allowed to look a re-plays for issues regarding the clock, and flagarant fouls, but should teams be allowed to call for an instant re-play? Say, given them 3 a game, and if they use one and the wrong call was made then it doesn't count against them and they still have 3 instant re-plays to call. I'm thinking this might help out with the excessive flopping going on in the league right now.

Thoughts?

ManRam
05-11-2012, 04:04 PM
None of those sports use it to determine fouls....and that's what you want this to do. They're used for out of bounds calls and things like that. They aren't used for balls/strikes, pass interference/not pass interference etc.

There's a reason that's the case, and for the same reason I don't think the NBA is going to allow instant replay anytime soon for fouls/violations.

And so many calls are just 50/50, that I'm not sure even if the league did allow this, that it would make a huge difference. Refs are human, and they're part of the game. Sometimes it sucks, but that's just how it goes...

Flops are tough to judge a lot of the time. What about an embellishment, like if someone is legit hit in the head, but we feel he went down too easily. Too much 50/50 and interpretation calls in basketball to make it worth it. Fans probably would still be upset.

I wouldn't bank on it happening...and even if it did, if you think it's gonna curb fan whining or bad calls...well, it won't.

Chronz
05-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Its what I posted in the flopping thread, so yes. It would greatly diminish the need for flopping if players knew they could get the right call.

Chronz
05-11-2012, 04:17 PM
None of those sports use it to determine fouls....and that's what you want this to do. They're used for out of bounds calls and things like that. They aren't used for balls/strikes, pass interference/not pass interference etc.

There's a reason that's the case, and for the same reason I don't think the NBA is going to allow instant replay anytime soon for fouls/violations.

And so many calls are just 50/50, that I'm not sure even if the league did allow this, that it would make a huge difference. Refs are human, and they're part of the game. Sometimes it sucks, but that's just how it goes...

Flops are tough to judge a lot of the time. What about an embellishment, like if someone is legit hit in the head, but we feel he went down too easily. Too much 50/50 and interpretation calls in basketball to make it worth it. Fans probably would still be upset.

I wouldn't bank on it happening...and even if it did, if you think it's gonna curb fan whining or bad calls...well, it won't.

Not talking about 50/50 calls, its the blatant smacks to the forehead, touch of the arm in a shooting/dunking motion. Those arent subjective.

ManRam
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
Not talking about 50/50 calls, its the blatant smacks to the forehead, touch of the arm in a shooting/dunking motion. Those arent subjective.

It could work, for sure, but I'd say a lot more calls are subjective than aren't. I guess coaches probably would be more inclined to "challenge" the ones that aren't. It could work, I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.

And really the only reason I brought it up is because it really wouldn't be all that similar to football or baseball in that regard. Even though they might not be 50/50 calls, they're still fouls, and those aren't subjected to replay in any other sport that I'm aware of. Baseball is purely for homers and in bounds/out of bounds stuff. Football is ball spotting and in bounds/out of bounds, completions, fumbles etc...not penalties.

Wade>You
05-11-2012, 04:32 PM
The NBA should have a 4th referee that has access to instant replay that can come in and correct the officials on the floor.

Of course, Stern wouldn't be able to carry out his agenda, so the NBA doesn't do it.

sep11ie
05-11-2012, 04:36 PM
^You do know your team benefits from "Stern's agenda", right?

JasonJohnHorn
05-11-2012, 04:42 PM
^You do know your team benefits from "Stern's agenda", right?

lol... true true, i was thinking the same thing.

AntiG
05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
NBA refs are the worst in all of the 4 major sports, and it is certainly needed. Give the coaches challenges, and have a separate ref group doing ongoing play reviews so there can be fluid recalls on things such as flagrants, flops, etc.

Chronz
05-11-2012, 04:51 PM
It could work, for sure, but I'd say a lot more calls are subjective than aren't. I guess coaches probably would be more inclined to "challenge" the ones that aren't. It could work, I just don't think it will happen anytime soon.

And really the only reason I brought it up is because it really wouldn't be all that similar to football or baseball in that regard. Even though they might not be 50/50 calls, they're still fouls, and those aren't subjected to replay in any other sport that I'm aware of. Baseball is purely for homers and in bounds/out of bounds stuff. Football is ball spotting and in bounds/out of bounds, completions, fumbles etc...not penalties.

Give them 2 challenges, coaches wouldnt waste them unless they were absolutely sure there was enough video evidence. The NBA hides behind the "we dont want to slow the game down" talk but the truth is they dont want the fans to see how often they screw up.

Its true that the game balances out for the most part, the greater team will still win a series, but this would go a long way in quelling those conspiracy complaints without sacrificing much.

The only reason it would slow down the game is because the NBA isnt imaginative, I mean look at how long it takes for them to review simple catch and shoot situations when the shot clock expires. Why do refs even have to bust out the television and review? Shouldnt there be a 4th(or more) ref in the booth who they can entrust with a simple decision? It shouldnt take longer than 5 seconds for the guy above to review and call in the decision. Instead it takes like a minute. The NBA is horribly outdated when it comes to technology, but so is every other sport I think.

Chronz
05-11-2012, 04:53 PM
If Stern has an agenda hes done a piss poor job of carrying it through

Wade>You
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
^You do know your team benefits from "Stern's agenda", right?The Heat winning has has nothing to do with the fact that they have the most talented team in the NBA. And if Stern wanted the Heat to win, why not rig last year's Finals in favor of the Heat?

Please, we wouldn't have had a season this year if the Heat had won the Finals. Stern knows what he's doing.

ManRam
05-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Anything to silence the stupid conspiracy theories and "Stern's Agenda" talk would be great.

But no matter what you do, they won't be silenced. That's the whole fun of conspiracies: you don't need evidence to believe them.