PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mike D'Antoni very interested in Magic HC job

Fresno
05-11-2012, 01:39 PM
Hearing whispers that Mike D'Antoni would be very interested in a vacant Magic coaching job.
http://twitter.com/#!/MagicInsider/status/200935490675941376

From the Orlando Magic's beat writer.

D’Antoni has been the head coach of the Denver Nuggets, Phoenix Suns and New York Knicks. In 10 years as a head man, he’s compiled a record of 388-339 (.533), has made the playoffs five times with a career playoff record of 26-29 (.473) and twice led the Suns to the conference finals (in 2005 and 2006).

Would be an interesting hire.

Wade>You
05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Magic would stupid to fire Stan Van Gundy.

They should go after Mike D'Antoni. /evillaugther

mvb815
05-11-2012, 01:47 PM
not a good idea

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
If they had a good PG it'd actually be a good hire IMO.

NYYCowboys
05-11-2012, 01:53 PM
Lol if they hire him they can kiss Dwight goodbye for sure.

raiderNlakerfan
05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
MIKE SUCKS.. its a total downgrade over svg

Rivera
05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
if we cant keep SVG id be fine with this :shrug:

torocan
05-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Lol if they hire him they can kiss Dwight goodbye for sure.

Hrm, not so sure about that. Dwight is already a strong defensive player, and Dwight does a decent Pick and Roll.

Also, D'Antoni's shoot when you got a shot philosophy pretty much gives Dwight a green light to score all over the place.

Toss in a few shooters/cutters and a good PG and it might work.

Of course, I don't think Dwight is staying anyway, so it's all theoretical. :D

5ass
05-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Haha **** that, only way id be fine with it is if Nash comes with him. I do think Dwight would benefit from playing in an uptempo offense. Few big men can run with him.

torocan
05-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Haha **** that, only way id be fine with it is if Nash comes with him. I do think Dwight would benefit from playing in an uptempo offense. Few big men can run with him.

D'Antoni + Nash + Dwight + fill in the blanks? :D

AKAYaReal
05-11-2012, 02:10 PM
All Mike D sees is Ryan Anderson, Hedo, and 3 city. Dont see how it will be much of a change from the style Stan plays

yanksrock
05-11-2012, 02:14 PM
Moooooo haaa haaa haaaaa haaa

Get ready for heartache.

5ass
05-11-2012, 02:17 PM
All Mike D sees is Ryan Anderson, Hedo, and 3 city. Dont see how it will be much of a change from the style Stan plays

why just cause they shoot 3s? Their style is nothing alike. Magic are one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA.

rapjuicer06
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Jesus I would not like this at all. Unless Steve Nash came in...then I'd like it for a year or two then want him gone

RC3
05-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Lol. Horrible coach. Most of the time he will say let's go let's go let's go let's go let's go. :facepalm:

ManningToTyree
05-11-2012, 02:27 PM
Does that mean we can have SVG :)

5ass
05-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Jesus I would not like this at all. Unless Steve Nash came in...then I'd like it for a year or two then want him gone

This is the team i would want to have if we got D'antoni
Nash/Smith
Redick/Jrich/Qrich
Wilson Chandler/Hedo/Qrich
Ryan/Baby
Howard/Baby

-we trade Nelsons expiring +1st + Orton + Clark for Chandler (not sure what denver fans would think of this)
-Sign nash for the MLE.

This team can compete with Miami.

MagicHero3
05-11-2012, 02:41 PM
keep SVG, hire mike as an assistant coach. BAM.

seriously, Stan is a good coach but his offensive scheme is horrid. im talking bad. get Mike in there to get some real offensive sets going... that'd be nice.

Cfrey
05-11-2012, 02:43 PM
can someone explain to me where this guys place in the league is?? lol he's clearly proven he can't coach a basketball team...

his only good years where when Nash was playing some of the best point guard basketball of all time so congrats to dantoni.. why would anyone ever hire this guy

celtNYpatsHeels
05-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Howard, Turkoglu, Davis, Redick, Richardson, Richardson, Nelson, and Duhon dont exactly scream DANTONI RUN N GUN OFFENSE..... with over $80m on the books, i cant see how Orlando can get guys to run that system either

SluggeR
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
D'antoni would be amazing for ATL..

JayAllDay
05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Shouldn't it be

Mike D'Antoni is VERY interested in ANY job?

justinnum1
05-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Svg is a much better coach than mike d

jeter 2
05-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Give him Jeremy Lin. He could really show how good his system is.

ManRam
05-11-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah. Not a fan.

Like Rivera said, a SVG/Mike D tandem would be AMAZING. But if we bring in someone else, SVG is gone...so that's a pipe dream.

D12 fan
05-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Unless he brings Nash to Orlando,it would be a bad hire.

smith&wesson
05-11-2012, 03:38 PM
stan van is one of the best coaches in the league. he is not the problem. howard clearly is and has been the problem because of his poor atitude.

if howard would just shut up and play, there would be no problems.

stan van >>>> dantoni

THE MTL
05-11-2012, 03:42 PM
D'Antoni looking at Ryan Anderson, Jason Richardson, Hedo Turkologlu and is thinking 3pters galore lol. Hmmm, he'll probi even let Howard shoot a couple threes lol. If Nash came though, it would be an amazing fit.

Since when did Magic's coaching job become vacant though?

nate2usmc
05-11-2012, 03:48 PM
SVG > D'Antoni.

kenzo400
05-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Lol Mike trying to destroy another team.

D12 fan
05-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Im suprised so many people think SVG is a great coach,the only reason he had success was because of Dwight,if Stan was such a great coach Orlando could have at least took Indiana to a game7,take Dwight off the Magic the whole year and they don't even make the playoffs.There's a reason why 2star players (Shaq/Dwight) have tried to get him fired.

airronijordan
05-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Unless Nash is going to Orlando, it would be a bad fit. The last thing the magic need is a coach who won't hold Dwight accountable

Punk
05-11-2012, 05:05 PM
I hope Orlando isn't interested. He isn't a player's coach, he is incredibly stubborn and he shows no accountability. Dwight wouldn't last a season under him. They better get Nash or Lin because it will fail incredibly hard.

Chances are D'antoni or whoever else will probably end up coaching Brook Lopez and Marshon Brooks.

PlezPlayDKnicks
05-11-2012, 05:26 PM
why just cause they shoot 3s? Their style is nothing alike. Magic are one of the slowest paced teams in the NBA.

Pardon some of our fans. Some Hate Mike D so much they ignore logic.. If a good defensive assistant is hired along with him it'll be a great hire. A system I think Dwight would Flourish

5ass
05-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Pardon some of our fans. Some Hate Mike D so much they ignore logic.. If a good defensive assistant is hired along with him it'll be a great hire. A system I think Dwight would Flourish

I agree my only worry is we dont have the proper personel to run the fast break anymore. Jameer is horrible in transition. Maybe if we get a real PG with the MLE, or trade for calderon it could work, but as is our roster fits svg style better than d'antoni.

Fresno
05-11-2012, 06:18 PM
Ish Smith could possibly do what Jeremy Lin did in NY for Mike D'Antoni in Orlando.

Ryan Anderson, JJ Redick, Hedo, Q-Rich, & J-Rich would be taking a combined # of 30 3 point shots per game.

Matrix3132
05-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I hope Orlando isn't interested. He isn't a player's coach, he is incredibly stubborn and he shows no accountability. Dwight wouldn't last a season under him. They better get Nash or Lin because it will fail incredibly hard.

Chances are D'antoni or whoever else will probably end up coaching Brook Lopez and Marshon Brooks.

Every player who has ever played meaningful minutes for him has loved him and always described him as a player's coach except one....hmm....I wonder who the one who didn't want him is....

Gritz
05-11-2012, 06:35 PM
If he wants to coach again, he better whisper his way to Charlotte

strahan92osi72
05-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Every player who has ever played meaningful minutes for him has loved him and always described him as a player's coach except one....hmm....I wonder who the one who didn't want him is....

A player who has accomplished much more in the NBA than that clown with a mustache ever will, that's who.

LOOTERX9
05-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Orlando would die a fast death if they hired that stubborn, no defense, jack up 3's one trick pony of a head coach. hahaha!!

ohreally
05-11-2012, 08:05 PM

Not a player's coach? His system opens the floor for everyone, so why wouldn't players like that?

IF Dwight stayed I think it would be a good fit for both. I just don't see Dwight staying.

jimm120
05-11-2012, 08:19 PM

exactly!

Magic play an inside-out game in which there is a post up and a kick out.

Dantoni is an outside-outside gameplan that
1- passes around the perimeter for a 3 point shot...OR
2- a pick n Roll drive...OR
3- a drive and pass out.

That's dantoni's game plan. His "inside move' is with the center/PF FACING TOWARDS THE BASKET ALWAYS or with the PF facing the basket from the 3 point line.

Does Dwight really play well like that? Yes, there's the pick n roll but that's not enough.

As someone said, Dantoni sees Anderson, Hedo, Duhon, and sees 3 point shooters (though Duhon is more of an obsession).

ManRam
05-11-2012, 08:21 PM

Not a player's coach? I don't know if I buy that. Compared to Stan, who is incredibly demanding and meticulous, I'm sure he looks like the biggest player's coach ever.

I'm sure Dwight would love it. All Dwight wants is to be babied, pampered and more touches. I'm sure Mike would do all three.

The whole world knows SVG is a better coach, but it doesn't matter. All that matters is Dwight because he's pulling the strings now.

jimm120
05-11-2012, 08:21 PM
If he wants to coach again, he better whisper his way to Charlotte

Nah. Seems he still has a reputation as a good-ish coach.

Remember when he was fired how the Knicks TV guys were pretty much bashing Melo over the Dantoni firing. And then rumors with the Clippers. He has that Phoenix run which will get him another chance. At least one more.

ManRam
05-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Nah. Seems he still has a reputation as a good-ish coach.

Remember when he was fired how the Knicks TV guys were pretty much bashing Melo over the Dantoni firing. And then rumors with the Clippers. He has that Phoenix run which will get him another chance. At least one more.

I think the consensus is that things got better after he left. I don't think that helps.

I got the impression that his demand wouldn't be too high. My initial reaction was literally "no **** he's interested, he should be interested in any job he can get".

GrkGawdofWalkz
05-11-2012, 09:17 PM
D'Antoni really doesn't have much credibility anymore. I guess if he got the right group of players he could work something out. But his offensive philosophy is a lot like Mike Martz's it just doesn't work that well anymore.

AddiX
05-11-2012, 09:20 PM
They pretty much run the same system already.

Mike is a one trick pony, he has his one system, and thats it, he doesn't coach well, camt develop players, is god awful out of timeouts, just an extremely bad coach.

We know damn well wherever he goes he will try to take Nash with him, andnwill probably burn him out, the way he burned Lin out. I just prey he takes amare too.

Mr Costanza
05-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Not a player's coach? I don't know if I buy that. Compared to Stan, who is incredibly demanding and meticulous, I'm sure he looks like the biggest player's coach ever.

I'm sure Dwight would love it. All Dwight wants is to be babied, pampered and more touches. I'm sure Mike would do all three.

The whole world knows SVG is a better coach, but it doesn't matter. All that matters is Dwight because he's pulling the strings now.

Exactly. Fire SVG, who is the best coach available? SVG.

jimm120
05-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Exactly. Fire SVG, who is the best coach available? SVG.

hahahah lol.

I can see tons of teams wanting to pounce on Stan Van Gundy if he wasn't in Orlando. Hell, I think teams would LOVE to have Jeff Van Gundy decide to coach again, instead of being an analyst

b@llhog24
05-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Lol if you thought the Magic shot the 3 ball with SVG wait til Antoni finishes with them.

AddiX
05-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Mike D is the coach who gave Jared Jeffries the ball last year in the playoffs for a winning shot, and had amare chucking 3s in clutch situations.

The man does not deserve to coach in the NBA ever again IMO.

MagicBucsSox
05-12-2012, 12:04 AM
You ppl have this thread 4pages deep over nonsense. First off its disrespectful of him to say this WHILE THERE ISN'T A VACANCY. Isn't that a coach cardinal rule? 2nd this isn't a story until an article says " magic interested in d'antoni".

Move along

--23--
05-12-2012, 12:49 AM
If they had a good PG it'd actually be a good hire IMO.

^^^this...they would need to get a good PG in order for D'Antoni to be successful.

sunsfan88
05-12-2012, 01:01 AM
Him with Nash and Dwight would be better than people expect.

J-Rich is good scorer and shooter and Anderson is a very good 3pt shooter.

Orlando has enough shooters to space the floor and that's whats most important for D'Antoni. With Nash, they can be just as good as the Suns were during 04-07 seasons.....or even better considering Dwight plays defense unlike Amare.

Fresno
05-18-2012, 04:06 PM
If Jeff’s brother, Stan, moves on, Mike D’Antoni is expected to be on the Magic’s short list, according to a source.

Word continues out of the D’Antoni inner circle the former Knicks coach is content sitting out next NBA season unless “ a very compelling opportunity’’ arises. D’Antoni wants to see his son, Michael Jr., graduate high school in Westchester and will get enough satisfaction coaching the U.S. Olympic Team.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/ewing_closer_to_first_coach_gig_n6hwtadRr53KpjvHr0 yIfO#ixzz1vFn9CWuz

robdesign13
05-18-2012, 04:16 PM
I smell a lin/nelson trade.

Hawkeye15
05-18-2012, 04:50 PM
hope Dwight likes guards and wings coming at him 100 mph!

nyanks79
05-18-2012, 04:55 PM
The amount of hate that Dantoni gets is still real funny to me. Take a look around the league. Look at the effective offenses today in the NBA. Look at the Spurs. Some of the stuff the Mavs did was so similar to Suns teams.

mr_badman
05-19-2012, 12:44 AM
Mi:k:e-D is the worst coach I ever saw in my life :nod:

When the :k:nic:k:s canned his :moon: the NBA should have
kicked him out of :flag:

:offtopic:

I would love for the Magic to sign him

javsvt
05-19-2012, 07:18 AM
The amount of hate that Dantoni gets is still real funny to me. Take a look around the league. Look at the effective offenses today in the NBA. Look at the Spurs. Some of the stuff the Mavs did was so similar to Suns teams.

Don't compare the Mavs to the Knicks, even this year with a old Kidd, our PG situation was a lot worse. Kidd can still run, shoot the 3's, and distribute the ball. We had Lin for a little while, and even he got exposed against Miami.