PDA

View Full Version : Miami announcer "Amare has been extinguished"

beasted86
05-10-2012, 07:28 PM
You stay classy, Miami Heat PA announcer.

Shortly after Amare Stoudemire picked up his sixth foul in the fourth quarter on Wednesday, the PA announcer at American Airlines Arena said Stoudemire "has been extinguished from the game."

It was meant to get the crowd to chuckle. But, in reality, it was a cheap shot at Stoudemire, who suffered lacerations to his left hand when he hit the glass encasing of a fire extinguisher after the Knicks' Game 2 loss.

Sure, the wound was self-inflicted. And Stoudemire was at the butt of plenty of jokes after the incident.

But PA announcers are supposed to be a bit more traditional, a bit more buttoned down.

Stoudemire told ESPNNewYork.com after the game that he didn't hear the announcer's cheap shot at the time. But, when it was brought to his attention, he laughed it off.

"That doesn't bother me," he said.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/19350/miami-announcer-extinguishes-amare

Do you think it was out of line?

The Miami HEAT issued an apology through a statement later.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Uncalled for.

beasted86
05-10-2012, 07:30 PM
This the Miami HEAT official take on the matter:

"Last night at our game, our PA Announcer had a momentary lapse of judgment and used a poor choice of words in describing Amar'e Stoudemire's fouling out of the game," The Heat said in a statement Thursday. "This is not who we are as an organization or who he is as an announcer. Both the Miami Heat and Michael Baiamonte apologize to Amar'e and the New York Knicks for the inappropriate choice of words."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/05/10/heat-apologize-to-knicks-stoudemire-for-announcer-comment/print#ixzz1uVqKrOM2

pd7631
05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
Sheesh, nobody can say anything without someone being offended these days. Not out of line to me, it was just funny.

Lakers + Giants
05-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it what so ever. Amare is the dumbass who did that **** to himself. Amare did something ****in stupid, I don't mind the announcer making fun of amare's stupid actions. We need to quit being soft and become more douchey honestly. LMAO.

Avenged
05-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Nothing wrong with it, actually found it clever.

Mr Costanza
05-10-2012, 07:36 PM
It was clever for sure and it didn't bother amare so who cares. But I guess it's not really his job to make jokes

Cal827
05-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Why is Chris Anderson Posting Pictures of himself?

To the point, people are so damn sensitive. I thought it was hilarious, it's not like they made a joke on a family member death or something.

netsgiantsyanks
05-10-2012, 07:41 PM
dumb *** shouldn't have punched a fire extinguisher.

Lakers + Giants
05-10-2012, 07:43 PM
We got a lot of **** on PSD who think about **** way too much. Seriously, the first idea of a pic you can think of is another guys dick? Shows what you think about all day. Change it up, if you're gonna continue doing that show me some titties or something at least.

ManRam
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
He should be professional. It's his job, and it's a very visible job. So yes, I think it was out of line.

Funny, but out of line.

5ass
05-10-2012, 07:57 PM
wow they fined him for that?

Breaking News: The NBA has decided changed Rudy Gay's name to Rudy Homosexual.

JC_
05-10-2012, 07:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/19350/miami-announcer-extinguishes-amare

Do you think it was out of line?

The Miami HEAT issued an apology through a statement later.

Not a big deal

D-Leethal
05-10-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm a Knicks fan and I find the Heat PA announcer to be the most annoying in the NBA but thats funny....lighten up people jesus. Even Amar'e got a chuckle out of it.

Hulk6
05-10-2012, 08:08 PM
everything is out of line these days, americans are so sensitive

29$JerZ
05-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Needs to be professional but its not exactly an insult.

kobemelo
05-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Sheesh, nobody can say anything without someone being offended these days. Not out of line to me, it was just funny.

This. He didn't have to say it but ppl are too sensitive these days.

ne3xchamps
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
No, it was priceless!!

ne3xchamps
05-10-2012, 08:19 PM
This. He didn't have to say it but ppl are too sensitive these days.

It's really ridiculous that no one has a sense of humor anymore. That is no way to live.

blastmasta26
05-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Wasn't professional, but it was funny and isn't really offensive so it's excusable.

mdm692
05-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty sure everybody here has a job where they have to stay professional and classy so its easy to see why the pa announcer stepped out of line. While it was clever and funny the man, in a way, is the voice of the organization and the fans so you do have to watch what you say and do on the mic.

mdm692
05-10-2012, 08:35 PM
It's really ridiculous that no one has a sense of humor anymore. That is no way to live.

If you analyze the situation is not the fact that its not funny its the fact that there is a time and place for it, your job not one of them. Not to mention the fact that we "pretend" we live in an unbiased society meaning everybody has to be treated the same way. For example if the philly PA would make a joke regarding rose's or noah's injuries im pretty sure everybody here would want to crucify the guy. I know what everybody here is going to say "well noah and rose didnt cause their injuries. . .blah blah blah. . .amare is at fault for hitting the extinguisher" and while that may be right its and injury nonetheless. Therefore by the standards we live in we have to judge him with the same hand. But it was funny though.

DaSeba5
05-10-2012, 08:40 PM
Lighten up people.

iam brett favre
05-10-2012, 08:41 PM
Seriously there's a problem with this? :sigh: Ugh, I hate people.

Big Zo
05-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Very disappointed they went and made a stupid statement. The guy didn't use any foul language, or anything offensive. Grow a ****ing pair and get a sense of humor.

Giannis94
05-10-2012, 08:57 PM
amare wanted attention. He got it, just not the way he expected it.

justinnum1
05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
very disappointed they went and made a stupid statement. The guy didn't use any foul language, or anything offensive. Grow a ****ing pair and get a sense of humor.

+1

ne3xchamps
05-10-2012, 09:10 PM
Lighten up people.

this.

I can't believe people are getting their panties in a bunch.

Jarvo
05-10-2012, 10:17 PM
People are way too sensitive nowadays that it's a shame, He was the dumbass that hit it in the 1st place and you really think no one will make fun of that?

ManRam
05-10-2012, 10:20 PM
See, the thing is, it has nothing to do with sensitivity. It's just about being a professional. I'm sure he's been told thousands of times how he can and cannot act, and this is probably something that was explicitly unacceptable.

I think it's a harmless and light-hearted job, but he's a professional, and he should act like it :shrug: Just like anyone else in most any other job. My panties aren't in a bunch, at all. It's not a big deal to me...but yeah, professionalism :shrug:

RealLiveBear
05-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Amare through his stupidity has givin the "OK" for anyone and everyone to crack jokes at his expense in my opinion.

UPRock
05-10-2012, 10:30 PM
I LOL'd when they said that.

mvb815
05-11-2012, 12:43 AM
it was hilarious, the nba is turning into nazi germany

oops, sorry mods, sorry nba, sorry dirk nowitzki

Wade>You
05-11-2012, 12:49 AM
I LOL'd when they said that.I didn't hear during the game and I went back on DVR and couldn't make out what he said. To be honest, I think the Heat could've kept quiet and no one would ever know or it wouldn't be a big a story as it is now. I mean, did any beat writer even mention it before the Heat issued an apology?

sixer04fan
05-11-2012, 12:50 AM

Agreed. It was a self inflicted injury out of stupidity and ended up not being too serious or life threatening. I think it's fair game to get teased about.

Sactown
05-11-2012, 12:51 AM
What's next? is Miami going to have to issue a statement of apology for inconveniently placing their fire extinguisher in front of Amare's fist?

TylerSL
05-11-2012, 02:21 AM
not really a big deal, too many bleeding hearts out there....

dodie53
05-11-2012, 03:01 AM
tone down the sensitivity

Ebbs
05-11-2012, 03:28 AM
I won't shed a tear and I enjoy the honesty. Amare is a dip **** and punched a fire hydrant... As far as I'm concerned you do something that stupid your fair game.

nate2usmc
05-11-2012, 08:28 AM
It was hilarious and Amare deserves to be ridiculed for his stupidity and not earning his paycheck at all. Heat PR shouldn't have apologized.

effen5
05-11-2012, 09:16 AM
That Miami heat pa announcer is so obnoxious and annoying. Just like the pistons.

nycsports2
05-11-2012, 09:22 AM
i voted no i dont think so at all.... BUT i will say the miami heat commentators on espn 760 are terrible. the ones on tv suck to but not like the radio they need to go

Heatcheck
05-11-2012, 09:40 AM
everything is out of line these days, americans are so sensitive

How dare you?

oak2455
05-11-2012, 09:45 AM

You're right same fan base who cheered when Werth got hurt or when Micheal Irvin got hurt..... Yup makes sense:o though I agree Amare is a douche bag.....

kjoke
05-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Should be fired

:rimshot:

Too much?

LeonFSU
05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
See, the thing is, it has nothing to do with sensitivity. It's just about being a professional. I'm sure he's been told thousands of times how he can and cannot act, and this is probably something that was explicitly unacceptable.

I think it's a harmless and light-hearted job, but he's a professional, and he should act like it :shrug: Just like anyone else in most any other job. My panties aren't in a bunch, at all. It's not a big deal to me...but yeah, professionalism :shrug:

Amare stupidly destroyed property in the arena the Heat play in because the Knicks can't play as a team. Part of the PA announcer's job is to get the crowd excited. He addresses fans of a basketball team. He made an innocent comment about the actions of a player that is related to the series with the Heat. It's not as if he made some slanderous statement or referenced something wholly personal. Amare deserved a little ribbing for something so utterly ********. Maybe he should have wished Amare a tearful goodbye, given him a thank you card, and changed his bandage for him.

kozelkid
05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Should be fired

:rimshot:

Too much?

No, but that's only because he's incredibly irritating.

As far as this comment goes, it was funny and I don't think an apology was necessary.

teddygreen17
05-11-2012, 12:21 PM
As a professional it was out of line.
As a comedian - it was clever
As an Amare - it was justified
As a Knicks fan - we're out the playoffs so who cares.

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2012, 12:26 PM
not a big deal at all. just an example of how soft sports has gotten.

Stinkyoutsider
05-11-2012, 12:27 PM
No harm, no problem. If someone says something and it doesn't offend the person it's directed at, then we're all good. I actually think it was a cheesy joke but it was funny.

It's not like the PA guy was getting personal with him. I would have a problem with it if he went after his family or beliefs...

JesusWears24
05-11-2012, 12:42 PM
He should be professional. It's his job, and it's a very visible job. So yes, I think it was out of line.

Funny, but out of line.

I dont think it was out of line.... It was stupid. Surprisingly it came from the Heat:facepalm:

SportsAndrew25
05-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Here we go again with the apology ********! :facepalm: Can people say anything anymore without offending the politically correct yahoos in this country???? Like another poster said, Amare did something astronomically stupid and is fair game for all jokes and criticisms.