PDA

View Full Version : Dwyane Wade's Historic Block Party

Master Mind
05-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Consider the following. Wade blocked more than four times as many shots as the average shooting guard (0.3 blocks per game). On a per-minute basis, he blocked shots more often than Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett, LaMarcus Aldridge and, yes, Chris Bosh and LeBron James, too. Said another way, you could tally up all the combined blocked shots by reputable defenders Tony Allen, Kobe Bryant and Avery Bradley this season -- and they still wouldn’t have more blocks than Wade this season.

Historically, we have no precedent. Wade is the only guard in NBA history to average a block per game over his career. The late Reggie Lewis trails Wade with a 0.9 blocked shot average and ranks second all-time. Other known shot-blockers such as George Gervin, Michael Jordan, David Thompson and Vince Carter all look up at Wade in the blocks category.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/10/dwayne-wade-is-historically-good-at-shot-blocking/

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/

Hoopsadvocate
05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
:clap: wow i always thought he was a great shot blocking guard but avg a blk a game is nuts for any guard none the less a short one at 6'4. Impressive addition to his resume.

Master Mind
05-10-2012, 06:33 PM
G.O.A.T!

of Shot Blocking Guards :p

Slug3
05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Don't let longhorn see this. I'm sure he would accuse Wade of using go go gadget arms or something.

Master Mind
05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Don't let longhorn see this. I'm sure he would accuse Wade of using go go gadget arms or something.

:laugh2:

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-10-2012, 06:53 PM
I'm not going to even click on the link, but by knowing it's a Heat statistical thing, it's probably by that Sexy Stud Tom Haberstroh?

Cal827
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM

:laugh: :clap:

ManRam
05-10-2012, 06:57 PM
It's not even a debate anymore IMO, and this blurb helps illustrate that...he's hands down the best shot-blocking guard ever.

blastmasta26
05-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Wade is an incredible shot blocker for sure. Slightly undersized for even a 2 guard, yet he still blocks consistently.

beasted86
05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
No, no, no.... you got it all wrong. Wade is using LeBron, see.... he makes LeBron do all the hard work on the defensive end man to man, then Wade only sweeps in for the easy block. As a matter of fact, Wade is even padding his stats and stealing some blocks that LeBron would have had anyway.

Bruno
05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Jordan was still averaging well above one block per game when he was 29/30 too. Lets see what Wades per game average looks like when he's 35.

Wade still trails MJ by 282 total blocks. Wade needs 94 blocks per season for the next three seasons, 70.5 blocks per season over the next four seasons, 56.4 blocks per season over the next five seasons, or 47 blocks per season over the next six seasons to pass MJ in total blocks. Question is, will he now that he's in his 30s? He could, he could also miss it, depending on injury/longevity.

Wade also trails Jordan in total playoff blocks 158 to 101.

Eagles710
05-10-2012, 07:41 PM
>>>>>> :no: <<<<<< = D-wade

P.s Mastermind your crazy lol

29$JerZ
05-10-2012, 07:44 PM
He had some great blocks against Melo and I believe Tyson.
Perfect timing and athleticism. Enjoy it while you can. I can't see him doing this for much longer.

Longhornfan1234
05-10-2012, 07:45 PM
Skewed stat. Wade sags of his man and roams around a lot. MJ plays up tight on players.

justinnum1
05-10-2012, 07:46 PM
:puke:

bholly
05-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Jordan was still averaging well above one block per game when he was 29/30 too. Lets see what Wades per game average looks like when he's 35.

Wade still trails MJ by 282 total blocks. Wade needs 94 blocks per season for the next three seasons, 70.5 blocks per season over the next four seasons, 56.4 blocks per season over the next five seasons, or 47 blocks per season over the next six seasons to pass MJ in total blocks. Question is, will he now that he's in his 30s? He could, he could also miss it, depending on injury/longevity.

Wade also trails Jordan in total playoff blocks 158 to 101.

Yup. Actually comparing both after 9 years in their career they're crazy close:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&p1=wadedw01&y1=2012&p2=jordami01&y2=1993

MJ - 1.02548 per game
Wade - 1.02517 per game

MJ is just ahead by percentage points, but if Wade had one more, or Jordan one less, Wade would be ahead. It's as close as it could be.

ThunderousDemon
05-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Shouldn't this be in the heat forum?

bholly
05-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Shouldn't this be in the heat forum?

It's about a top player's historical greatness in an important stat. This is NBA forum material.

Slug3
05-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Skewed stat. Wade sags of his man and roams around a lot. MJ plays up tight on players.

So according to you players like D12, Zo, Mutombo, Hakim and the rest of the big shot blockers are all skewed correct? I mean they got the majority of there blocks rejecting another players guy.

kubernetes
05-10-2012, 08:12 PM
No, no, no.... you got it all wrong. Wade is using LeBron, see.... he makes LeBron do all the hard work on the defensive end man to man, then Wade only sweeps in for the easy block. As a matter of fact, Wade is even padding his stats and stealing some blocks that LeBron would have had anyway.

So you're saying Wade is a block-stealer?

Get the pitchforks!

Longhornfan1234
05-10-2012, 08:21 PM
So according to you players like D12, Zo, Mutombo, Hakim and the rest of the big shot blockers are all skewed correct? I mean they got the majority of there blocks rejecting another players guy.

:facepalm:

Wade is a SG, right? SGs are not suppose to sag of their man and roam around. I don't think I have ever seen any guard sag of their man and roam as much as Wade.

MickeyMgl
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM

The perimeter and the paint are defended differently. Big men are EXPECTED to roam and help whenever possible. They are the last line of defense.

naps
05-10-2012, 08:32 PM
But Miami is better without Wade. They should trade him for Perkins. He throws players shoes on the sideline. He sucks.

beasted86
05-10-2012, 08:34 PM

You'd possibly have a point if Wade's man to man defensive stats weren't so good, or Wade wasn't one of the best players in the NBA at recovering to shooters.

Longhornfan1234
05-10-2012, 08:35 PM
You'd possibly have a point if Wade's man to man defensive stats weren't so good, or Wade wasn't one of the best players in the NBA at recovering to shooters.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Master Mind
05-10-2012, 08:52 PM

Wade is a SG, right? SGs are not suppose to sag of their man and roam around. I don't think I have ever seen any guard sag of their man and roam as much as Wade.

Your hate for Wade is unprecedented...

justinnum1
05-10-2012, 08:53 PM

grasping hardcore here

RealLiveBear
05-10-2012, 11:08 PM
He's very good at sagging down and getting blocks on bigs from behind. He gets down so quick and the Big just isnt expecting it.

Cal827
05-10-2012, 11:13 PM

:laugh: And I thought I was the only one who had to be high and preforming Auto-Erotic Asphyxiation before I make posts.

Master Mind
05-10-2012, 11:17 PM
He's very good at sagging down and getting blocks on bigs from behind. He gets down so quick and the Big just isnt expecting it.

You haven't watched many Heat games have you?

kozelkid
05-11-2012, 01:03 AM
It's not even a debate anymore IMO, and this blurb helps illustrate that...he's hands down the best shot-blocking guard ever.

You must not have hear of that Michael... his last name eludes me, was it Jordan?

In any event, Bholly and Bruno both correctly pointed out what I have said on this topic before. Don't be so quick to call Wade the GOAT yet. MJ was doing roughly the same in his prime. Let's see how good Wade is blocking shots 3 to 4 years from now.

With all that said, no one touches either and it's why I've felt for awhile that no one's game resembled a young MJ more (no not Kobe) than Dwyane Wade.

Sadds The Gr8
05-11-2012, 01:23 AM
Longhornfan is right.

Big Zo
05-11-2012, 01:52 AM

From behind nothing, dude is a beast at blocking shots from every angle. Ask Brook Lopez.

jammastershake
05-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Everyone who watches the game without blinders on can see how Wade gets blocks. The ones who clearly dont, well they're just Heat fans. Wade is a classic cherry picker.

shizzle09
05-11-2012, 03:16 AM

whatever he does works. You're blind hate for wade isnt gonna work in here. You can say what you like he's one of the best shot blocking guards ever like it or not. deal with it:facepalm:

shizzle09
05-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Wade porbably has the most blocks using two hands. Love when he does that.

Chronz
05-11-2012, 03:41 AM
I wonder how much pace has effected these stats, Wade has a block% of 3.1 and 1.4 per36. Thats higher than any of MJ's best block rates.

Master Mind
05-11-2012, 08:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PwH2m1uZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYwbFSpb6vI&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1lgv1KRCow

He gets blocks in many facets....Give him his due

Slug3
05-11-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PwH2m1uZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYwbFSpb6vI&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1lgv1KRCow

He gets blocks in many facets....Give him his due

To Longhorn this is all CGI, he never did any of this.

Longhornfan1234
05-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Longhornfan is right.

The Wade stans won't admit it. :facepalm:

kjoke
05-11-2012, 10:31 AM
The Wade stans won't admit it. :facepalm:

I think your hatred of Wade goes further than basketball.

Master Mind
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
To Longhorn this is all CGI, he never did any of this.

:laugh2:

Master Mind
05-11-2012, 10:42 AM
I think your hatred of Wade goes further than basketball.

He must have been slighted by Wade, wanted a autograph or high 5 and got left hanging. Or perhaps Wade spat in his drink, which would be better than a ruffie. Or maybe he wanted the ruffie, who knows. Just speculating

Master Mind
05-11-2012, 10:42 AM
Longhornfan is right.

What makes him right?

imbetterthanyou
05-11-2012, 11:15 AM
loving hearing Mike Breen say BLOCKED BY WADE. Anyone who thinks hes not a great shot blocking guard (who is also undersized) is just a blind hater. Hes not the best but hes damn near it

mightybosstone
05-11-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm not ready to call Wade the "best shot blocking guard ever." When you consider Miami's pace, how much they push in transition (and how many blocks he gets in transition on the other end) and the fact that Miami plays a lot of help defense, that probably accounts for some of his success in that department.

That being said, I also think it's stupid to completely diminish Wade's success in this area. For a 6'4" SG to put up those numbers is phenomenal regardless of how tight his one-on-one defense is. How many players in the league have the athleticism or the instinct to follow a player sometimes 6-8 inches taller than them, leap at the precise moment and stuff that guy at the rim? In the league today, there's probably only one: Wade.

Master Mind
05-11-2012, 06:36 PM
I'm not ready to call Wade the "best shot blocking guard ever." When you consider Miami's pace, how much they push in transition (and how many blocks he gets in transition on the other end) and the fact that Miami plays a lot of help defense, that probably accounts for some of his success in that department.

That being said, I also think it's stupid to completely diminish Wade's success in this area. For a 6'4" SG to put up those numbers is phenomenal regardless of how tight his one-on-one defense is. How many players in the league have the athleticism or the instinct to follow a player sometimes 6-8 inches taller than them, leap at the precise moment and stuff that guy at the rim? In the league today, there's probably only one: Wade.

Well said

Gritz
05-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Pretty much I am like this at the gym

Bring The Heat
05-11-2012, 10:40 PM
This guy LongHorn really hates Wade so bad lol no one should even take his opinion seriously anymore. Every forum I see this guy just hating on him for anything