PDA

View Full Version : 6 teams to make a play on Lin ... Guesses?

torocan
05-10-2012, 06:15 PM
NBA AM: Can The Knicks Get Steve Nash?

The problem is the Knicks will have limited options and lots of guys to consider.

First – Jeremy Lin.

Lin will be what’s called an Arenas-rights player. He has been in the NBA less than four years, meaning the Knicks team can make him a restricted free agent by issuing a Qualifying Offer. In Lin’s case because he is not on a typical first round pick rookie deal, his Offer amount is calculated using 125% of his previous salary, or the player’s minimum salary plus $200,000, whichever is greater. In Lin’s case his minimum salary as a third year player is $854,389 plus $200,000 making his Qualifier $1.054 million.

Now enter the wrinkle. Lin does not possess Bird Rights, but the Knicks can match anything up to the Mid-Level to keep him if they restrict him. Opposing teams are limited to the Mid-Level in their initial offer, but can increase the third and fourth year of a deal so that all years average to the amount of cap space they have available. — that’s the Arenas provision.

So the wrinkle gets a little sillier, especially if a team with cap space makes a big cap space type offer. According to Larry Coon’s CBAFAQ, Lin’s maximum offer can be constructed like this:

If a team that is $9 million under the cap… [and] wants to submit a four-year offer sheet, and wants to provide a large raise in the third season, they can offer a total of $36 million over four years. The first-year salary is limited to the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or $5 million. The second-year salary will be $5.225 million (4.5% raise). This leaves $25.775 million to be distributed over the final two seasons of the contract, with a 4.1% raise from year three to year four. So the entire contract looks like this:

Season – Salary – Notes

1 – $5,000,000 – Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level amount for 2011-12
2 – $5,225,000 – 4.5% raise over season 1
3 – $12,628,613 – This is the amount that yields $25.775 million over the final two seasons with a 4.1% raise
4 – $13,146,387 – Raise is 4.1% of season 3 salary

Total – $36,000,000 – Average is $9 million, which equals the team’s cap room

For the team making this offer, this contract would count for $9.0 million (i.e., the average salary in the contract) of team salary in each of the four seasons if they sign the player. If the player’s prior team matches the offer and keeps the player, then the actual salary in each season counts as team salary. The player’s original team is allowed to use any available exception (e.g., the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level or the Early Bird) to match the offer.

Sources close to the situation say there could be as many as six teams willing to make an offer to Jeremy Lin, some are willing to test New York’s resolve on Lin with a deal constructed like Larry’s outline above. It’s doubtful anyone is going to make an offer that averages $9 million, but would someone do a deal that averages $6 to $7 million? – that’s probable.

In order to match such an offer, not only would the Knicks have to commit their full Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception to Lin, they’d also take on contract values in years 3 and 4 that would likely be taxed by the NBA more punitive Luxury Tax that kicks in in 2013.

The Knicks owe Carmelo Anthony, Amar’e Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler $60.632 million alone in 2014-2015, when year three of Jeremy’s new contract would kick in.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-can-the-knicks-get-steve-nash-3

6 teams taking a shot at the Kid. Any guesses on who they are?

I'm guessing...

Toronto (Low attendance, deep pockets)
Portland (Low attendance concerns going into 2013, deep pockets)
Indiana (PG going FA)
New Jersey (New arena, deep pockets if they miss Dwight)
Charlotte (Low attendance, deep pockets)
Dallas (Kidd FA, deep pockets, team rebuilding)

Any other opinions?

**editted to reflect new information

justinnum1
05-10-2012, 06:18 PM
nets and any other team that needs money, probably charlotte,

DR_1
05-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Definitely not the Bulls, we don't have the cap.

EDIT: Wait do we need cap for this guy? I'm confused lol.

nirvana235
05-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Jeremy Lin to Toronto please...

It makes perfect sense, the Raps have not been relevant since Vinsanity, Linsanity to replace it would be perfect.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 06:26 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-am-can-the-knicks-get-steve-nash-3

6 teams taking a shot at the Kid. Any guesses on who they are?

I'm guessing...

Toronto (Low attendance, deep pockets)
Portland (Low attendance, deep pockets)
Indiana (PG going FA)
New Jersey (New arena, deep pockets if they miss Dwight)
Charlotte (Low attendance, deep pockets)
Chicago (Rose is out for a long time, and Lin makes one heck of a back-up when Rose is back)

Any other opinions?
Wouldn't surprise me to see some team do that.

Jeremy Lin is going to be used as nothing more than a marketing gimmick by some team now that he's considered one of the most marketable players in the NBA based on studies done on viewers. He's also going to bring in huge revenue from China as well as Asian-Americans, which the Houston Rockets made plenty of money off of with Yao Ming.

Indiana doesn't need Jeremy Lin. They've got Darren Collison & they'll be able to afford to bring back George Hill.

Charlotte doesn't need Jeremy Lin either. They've got Kemba Walker & DJ Augustin.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 06:28 PM

Yeah. You need the proper amount of Cap Space to do it.

Any team who is over the Salary Cap like Chicago can only give him the Mid-Level exception without the type of back-end salary raises that teams under the cap can give him.

torocan
05-10-2012, 06:29 PM

Doesn't the bulls have the bi-level with CJ Watson on a team option this year?

PleaseBeNice
05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Watch it be the Kings so the Maloofs can profit off of his name, just like Jimmer

dtmagnet
05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Could see Toronto and Indy if they failed to get Nash.

BHF
05-10-2012, 06:31 PM

It makes perfect sense, the Raps have not been relevant since Vinsanity, Linsanity to replace it would be perfect.

hell no i would be mad if we get him bayless > lin > calderon

Kashmir13579
05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
This is gonna be a nail-biter... He's worth more in NYC than he is anywhere else. Thats one thing the Knicks have in their corner. Dolan would make up for year 3 and 4 luxury taxes in no-time.

If its true the Knicks can match ANY offer, i think he'll be back for the Knicks. Dolan has the pockets and he'll see it as an investment, just like everything else he's got his greedy paws on.

I would be heartbroke if Jeremy left. No two ways about it.

torocan
05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Wouldn't surprise me to see some team do that.

Jeremy Lin is going to be used as nothing more than a marketing gimmick by some team now that he's considered one of the most marketable players in the NBA based on studies done on viewers. He's also going to bring in huge revenue from China as well as Asian-Americans, which the Houston Rockets made plenty of money off of with Yao Ming.

Indiana doesn't need Jeremy Lin. They've got Darren Collison & they'll be able to afford to bring back George Hill.

Charlotte doesn't need Jeremy Lin either. They've got Kemba Walker & DJ Augustin.

Not sure I would say "pure marketing gimmick". He does actually play decent basketball, though he obviously isn't CP3 or Nash at this point he isn't exactly chopped liver either.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Toronto makes sense. They've got a huge Asian population.

mjt20mik
05-10-2012, 06:37 PM
If Toronto got him, it would be huge for marketing purposes. Plus it would be interesting to see what Casey could do with the kid

Fresno
05-10-2012, 06:44 PM
This is gonna be a nail-biter... He's worth more in NYC than he is anywhere else. Thats one thing the Knicks have in their corner. Dolan would make up for year 3 and 4 luxury taxes in no-time.

If its true the Knicks can match ANY offer, i think he'll be back for the Knicks. Dolan has the pockets and he'll see it as an investment, just like everything else he's got his greedy paws on.

I would be heartbroke if Jeremy left. No two ways about it.

Is a 25 game stint worth being paid $12.5 Million per year in the final 2 years of his contract? That is ridiculous. James Dolan can't possibly be that stupid espescially with him trying to pay Phil Jackson too. Just an average of $9 Million per year in salary is overpaying him based off of his limited performance. If we're going off of those 25 games then Lin isn't even a Top 10 PG in the NBA and saying he is Top 15 is a stretch too.

He's worth the full Mid-Level Exception for 1 year in a Prove It deal to see whether or not he can play at the same level or better with a full 82 game season with every team having him on their scouting report.

More-Than-Most
05-10-2012, 06:44 PM
He will not be that good...I feel sorry for whatever team falls for the hype

ElFuturoDeESPN
05-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Portland (Low attendance, deep pockets)

:laugh: You're serious? Yeah, they only had the second highest attendance in the NBA this season. But whatev.

He's not going to Portland. Quote me on it, if you want.

beasted86
05-10-2012, 06:46 PM
OP mistakenly added Chicago to the list that only has the mid-level to offer.

I think the Utah Jazz would be a good fit. They would be a pretty young team that could grow together with a solid core. They have some cap space and are a winning team.

But more than likely I New York is matching all offers.

lakerboy
05-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Is a 25 game stint worth being paid $12.5 Million per year in the final 2 years of his contract? That is ridiculous. James Dolan can't possibly be that stupid espescially with him trying to pay Phil Jackson too. Just an average of $9 Million per year in salary is overpaying him based off of his limited performance. If we're going off of those 25 games then Lin isn't even a Top 10 PG in the NBA and saying he is Top 15 is a stretch too.

He's worth the full Mid-Level Exception for 1 year in a Prove It deal to see whether or not he can play at the same level or better with a full 82 game season with every team having him on their scouting report.

Basketball wise Lin isn't worth more than the MLE. But if you count the fact that he brings in the TV and the people, he is probably worth more than Carmelo and Amare combined.

Linsanity was unbelievable. It was something all these TV basketball guys -- Lebron, Bosh, Amare --- wanted during the free agency of 2010, but they couldn't pull it off.

torocan
05-10-2012, 06:51 PM
:laugh: You're serious? Yeah, they only had the second highest attendance in the NBA this season. But whatev.

He's not going to Portland. Quote me on it, if you want.

Was thinking of attendance issues going into next year, but you're right, high attendance this year. My apologies, should have been more clear.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Not sure I would say "pure marketing gimmick". He does actually play decent basketball, though he obviously isn't CP3 or Nash at this point he isn't exactly chopped liver either.

How is he not a pure marketing gimmick? yea hes a decent basketball player but during the whole Linsanity thing people were giving him crazy amount of attention.

Do you think teams would be ready to give out huge money off of a 25 game stretch if he was a random black NBA PG? Just being honest about it

Look Mike James only got 4 years & $24 Million after he had a 20 ppg season with the Raptors.

Teams are trying to overpay Jeremy Lin because he will bring them a lot of money from Asian basketball fans & media attention to the team. Hes an ok player but its not like hes some star player. So in a way its all about using ways to make money off of him for marketing purposes.

Just like Tebow.

ManRam
05-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Give me Goran Dragic!

It will be interesting to see who overpays the most for him...

ne3xchamps
05-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Miami, just because.

DrDre94
05-10-2012, 06:53 PM
How about the Knicks? Just because...

tyfreaks brotha
05-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm guessing either Toronto, Suns make a move for him. Nets also go after him if Deron leaves

greg_ory_2005
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
How is he not a pure marketing gimmick? yea hes a decent basketball player but during the whole Linsanity thing people were giving him crazy amount of attention.

Do you think teams would be ready to give out huge money off of a 25 game stretch if he was a random black NBA PG? Just being honest about it

Look Mike James only got 4 years & $24 Million after he had a 20 ppg season with the Raptors.

Teams are trying to overpay Jeremy Lin because he will bring them a lot of money from Asian basketball fans & media attention to the team. Hes an ok player but its not like hes some star player. So in a way its all about using ways to make money off of him for marketing purposes.

Just like Tebow.
Mike James :drool:

blastmasta26
05-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Out of the teams OP listed, the Knicks need a PG the most, very weak in the backcourt.

torocan
05-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Just like Tebow.

"Pure marketing gimmick" implies no real skills at all. Semantics.

I slot him as promising rookie/sophomore, so yes there's a marketing premium, but even without marketing, teams have offered substantial 4 year contracts based on players with less potential.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 07:00 PM
Basketball wise Lin isn't worth more than the MLE. But if you count the fact that he brings in the TV and the people, he is probably worth more than Carmelo and Amare combined.

Linsanity was unbelievable. It was something all these TV basketball guys -- Lebron, Bosh, Amare --- wanted during the free agency of 2010, but they couldn't pull it off.

Linsanity was crazy but its not like he can pull that off again.

If he has a 20 point game people aren't going to be shocked by it anymore.

This thing just looks like its gonna end really bad for Jeremy Lin's reputation because he is gonna make a whole lot of money in endorsements + his contract and people aren't gonna respect him as a basketball player.

lakerboy
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Linsanity was crazy but its not like he can pull that off again.

If he has a 20 point game people aren't going to be shocked by it anymore.

This thing just looks like its gonna end really bad for Jeremy Lin's reputation because he is gonna make a whole lot of money in endorsements + his contract and people aren't gonna respect him as a basketball player.

Jeremy Lin actually can come back and be a solid player.

But I agree with most of your points. Sadly, owners will go after him bec. he can bring the team some $$$$. He will be a good role player to a team IMO, but owners will probably overpay him to bring in fans, not for basketball reasons.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 07:04 PM
"Pure marketing gimmick" implies no real skills at all. Semantics.

I slot him as promising rookie/sophomore, so yes there's a marketing premium, but even without marketing, teams have offered substantial 4 year contracts based on players with less potential.

If a guy is going to get $12 Million + another $10 Million in endorsements for being an ok PG then yes he is a "pure marketing gimmick".

Also we're talking about a Point Guard. I know teams have given overpaid contracts to other decent players but most of them are guys who are big men.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 07:10 PM
Jeremy Lin actually can come back and be a solid player.

But I agree with most of your points. Sadly, owners will go after him bec. he can bring the team some $$$$. He will be a good role player to a team IMO, but owners will probably overpay him to bring in fans, not for basketball reasons.

Yea I think Jeremy Lin can be a solid player who's numbers/impact depend on how good of the team is around him.

But nobody knows how he's going to adjust when teams start treating him like the Miami Heat did when all they do is trap him and keep him from getting in the paint.

arkanian215
05-10-2012, 07:10 PM
0a

Kashmir13579
05-10-2012, 07:11 PM

I get it, but you're underestimating Dolan's greed. Plus, he's signed off on worse contracts in the past. The article also said they expect year 3 and 4 to be substantially less than 12.5. I think that was just the max a team with 9 million in cap space could offer.

Kashmir13579
05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
If a guy is going to get $12 Million + another $10 Million in endorsements for being an ok PG then yes he is a "pure marketing gimmick".

Also we're talking about a Point Guard. I know teams have given overpaid contracts to other decent players but most of them are guys who are big men.

You're a stubborn troll or you don't know what semantics means.

msc43
05-10-2012, 07:17 PM

I know hindsight is 20-20, but Joe Johnson was a pretty egregious contract. Brandon Roy is another example. A sad one, but he was overpaid knowing the conditions of his knees.

That said, teams make Lin an offer not because they see him being an All-Star caliber player. They know the return on investment is certain due to his large and loyal fanbase. The doors open internationally and any television revenue that comes in will be dominated by the team with the most marketable international star. As a business decision, this is a no-brainer for most owners, who drool at the prospect of gaining new fans and marketable stars.

As it stands, I'd gladly put out an offer for Lin if I were Portland, Brooklyn, Toronto, or Phoenix; in the likely case they lose Steve Nash. He is adept at the pick-and-roll and has very good strength to the basket. If he becomes anything like the Tony Parker prototype he seems to be, I like his chances moving forward. A $6-7m investment seems minimal due to the potential dividends.

torocan
05-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Yea I think Jeremy Lin can be a solid player who's numbers/impact depend on how good of the team is around him.

But nobody knows how he's going to adjust when teams start treating him like the Miami Heat did when all they do is trap him and keep him from getting in the paint.

You mean like all these .500+/contending teams did after the Miami game?

**Miami - 8/3
Boston - 14/5 (with Melo and STAT)
Dallas - 14/7
Spurs - 20/4
Milwaukee - 20/13
Phillie - 14/7
Chicago - 15/8
Indiana - 13/8
Indiana - 13/5
Phillie - 18/3

Not that shabby for his first set of starts... and he has the entire off season to keep rehabbing and improving.

metsfanssince05
05-10-2012, 07:19 PM
I don't see him leaving NY but crazier things happen.

msc43
05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
Why would the Nets need money?

Not money. Fans.

dalton749
05-10-2012, 07:20 PM
If lin comes to toronto im starting a race war

Fresno
05-10-2012, 07:22 PM
You're a stubborn troll or you don't know what semantics means.
:confused:

What did I say that was wrong?

Kashmir13579
05-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Not money. Fans.

Lets not kid ourselves here.. Proky didn't buy the Nets so he could lose millions annually.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I know hindsight is 20-20, but Joe Johnson was a pretty egregious contract. Brandon Roy is another example. A sad one, but he was overpaid knowing the conditions of his knees.

That said, teams make Lin an offer not because they see him being an All-Star caliber player. They know the return on investment is certain due to his large and loyal fanbase. The doors open internationally and any television revenue that comes in will be dominated by the team with the most marketable international star. As a business decision, this is a no-brainer for most owners, who drool at the prospect of gaining new fans and marketable stars.

As it stands, I'd gladly put out an offer for Lin if I were Portland, Brooklyn, Toronto, or Phoenix; in the likely case they lose Steve Nash. He is adept at the pick-and-roll and has very good strength to the basket. If he becomes anything like the Tony Parker prototype he seems to be, I like his chances moving forward. A $6-7m investment seems minimal due to the potential dividends.

I agree with you. I understand its all business related.

But also you gotta remember Joe Johnson & Brandon Roy were All-NBA/All Star performers when they got their huge contracts, it wasn't off of just a good 1/3 of a season.

torocan
05-10-2012, 07:25 PM

Actually, it even goes beyond that.

High value players like to gravitate towards the limelight, so any team that has a highly visible franchise becomes immediately more attractive to players, regardless of the reason.

Lin raising a team's visibility automatically attracts eyeballs and merchandising/sponsorships. Players who bask in that limelight automatically make more money.

Just look at the sudden emergence of Steve Novak in NYC. He went from a non entity to a globally known player in a matter of weeks.

If you're a top flight player, the visibility of your destination franchise counts. Normally that's LA, NY, Miami, Chicago. However, if a small market or low profile franchise can do that, suddenly they're very competitive for top flight talent.

Someone like Lin can offset the small vs big market phenomenon to a degree. So it's more than a pure $$$ thing, it also makes that team more competitive.

And if Lin becomes an all-star caliber player over time, that's just a bonus from the ownership's point of view.

Fresno
05-10-2012, 07:27 PM
Lets not kid ourselves here.. Proky didn't buy the Nets so he could lose millions annually.

The Nets are going to make a profit no matter what in New York City even if they dont have many fans. Its gonna be something for locals to do when they're bored and for tourists.

Its no different than the Knicks pulling in major revenue when they were absolutely terrible just because a Knicks game was something to do on a Tuesday night when in Manhattan.

msc43
05-10-2012, 07:29 PM
I agree with you. I understand its all business related.

But also you gotta remember Joe Johnson & Brandon Roy were All-NBA/All Star performers when they got their huge contracts, it wasn't off of just a good 1/3 of a season.

Right, but since when has a backloaded $6-7m contract become a huge contract in the NBA? Lin has already proven he's better than the likes of Raymond Felton, Jose Calderon, Sebastian Telfair, and whoever is going to take over PG at Brooklyn when Deron Williams leaves. It's not inconceivable to see Lin as a top 5 PG in the offseason market after D.Will, Nash, and perhaps Goran Dragic.

kenzo400
05-10-2012, 07:38 PM
. It's not inconceivable to see Lin as a top 5 PG in the offseason market after D.Will, Nash, and perhaps Goran Dragic.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

More-Than-Most
05-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I am going to walk this line but lets be serious...He is not getting the look because of the skill set...He is getting the look from teams because he is asian first and because of the hype he got...From a financial stand point he will generate a ton of revenue in that market for any organization even if he is just average... Its not smart from a fan stand point because your getting an average player for 10 mill a season and that will stop you from getting better pieces...From an ownership stand point its a wet dream waiting to happen

More-Than-Most
05-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Who ever said it before I agree...Give me Dragic 10 times over before lin

msc43
05-10-2012, 07:43 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Great post, man. Care to elaborate the five players you clearly think are better than Lin in the free-agent market?

JasonJohnHorn
05-10-2012, 07:51 PM
I know players get overpaid like mad in the NBA, but I just can't see a team (outside of NY) willing to offer that much to Lin for such a small sample size of productivety. Teams were used to defending him because they hadn't seen a lot of tape of him, and then when a team like Miami plays him and makes adjustments for him, he struggles. I think teams are going to need to see a lot more of lin before they pony big bucks for him. Lin managed to average 20 a game for a stretch, and in that time his assist-to-turnover ratio was nothing to write home about. Mike James (and I mean no offence to Mike James here) averaged 20 and 8 for an entire season and wasn't even rewarded that big of a contract (though he did get a nice pay day).

I just don't see any team willing to gamble that much on a player who hasn't really proved himself yet. NY is the only team crazy enough to do some dumb $#!T like that.

Beltrans Mole
05-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Wait the Knicks can match any offer made for Lin is that correct? I thought we had him for another season I'm confused...

msc43
05-10-2012, 08:01 PM
I am going to walk this line but lets be serious...He is not getting the look because of the skill set...He is getting the look from teams because he is asian first and because of the hype he got...From a financial stand point he will generate a ton of revenue in that market for any organization even if he is just average... Its not smart from a fan stand point because your getting an average player for 10 mill a season and that will stop you from getting better pieces...From an ownership stand point its a wet dream waiting to happen

He's not going to get $10mil a season from any team. I can imagine him stretching his worth to about $7mil average. As a team can't go above the MLE for Lin because of the way the CBA works, the contract is backloaded for 9mil the last two years. Also, I can think of worse PG's who won't get the return on investment that Lin will, namely Raymond Felton, Jordan Farmar, or Jose Calderon.

Who ever said it before I agree...Give me Dragic 10 times over before lin

Yeah, I see Dragic as being more ready to run an NBA team than Lin. But at the same time, I see more upside with Lin than for Dragic. Lin is younger, more athletic, and has the entire Asian market behind him. Lin also possesses a very loyal fanbase of more than just Asian markets.

kenzo400
Lol, what's with all the penises?

Vinylman
if Lin gets the full MLE its a joke from a basketball perspective considering all the available PG's...

I am sure some will give him some stupid deal like 4/$30 million which would just be dumb from a basketball perspective

albertc86
05-10-2012, 08:05 PM
These teams may have "deep pockets" but he still hasn't proven anything. He had a string of good games but when teams zeroed in on him he showed inexperience. Not a good investment when money can be spend elsewhere.

homestarunner93
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM

Augustin is a FA this offseason, and Kemba sucks. The Bobcats could use him, although I doubt they're willing to spend big this year.

msc43
05-10-2012, 08:18 PM
if Lin gets the full MLE its a joke from a basketball perspective considering all the available PG's...

I am sure some will give him some stupid deal like 4/$30 million which would just be dumb from a basketball perspective

So... who are all these available PG's that are better than Lin and worth a full MLE?

BALLER R
05-10-2012, 08:27 PM
I wanna see Lin during a full 82 game season before I sign on long term.

BALLER R
05-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Lin is not a top 10 PG people need to stop acting as if he is.

msc43
05-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I wanna see Lin during a full 82 game season before I sign on long term.

Lin is a restricted free agent as it is right now. You don't have the luxury to see him play a full season unless you sign him to at least a 3 year deal. No pay, no play.

Lin is not a top 10 PG people need to stop acting as if he is.

Lol there was no intelligence to this post. No one declared Lin a top 10 NBA PG. Do I think he's one of the best available point guards on the market this offseason? Yes. If you don't like the kid, that's your prerogative.

VCaintdead17
05-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Definitely don't want him on the Pacers

mdm692
05-10-2012, 09:04 PM
The knicks would be retarted not to sign him. He will stay in NY and nash WILL NOT sign there it just doesnt make sense for them. Woodson(who the team is working on his "extension") likes to run and offense with a lot of iso's and that is not nash's style it just doesnt work.

blastmasta26
05-10-2012, 09:08 PM
The knicks would be retarted not to sign him. He will stay in NY and nash WILL NOT sign there it just doesnt make sense for them. Woodson(who the team is working on his "extension") likes to run and offense with a lot of iso's and that is not nash's style it just doesnt work.

Isos don't work well with Lin either. Lin was drawing comparisons to Nash at the height of Linsanity because of the uptempo, ball movement based offense he was orchestrating. If Woodson returns, his offense needs to be adjusted.

mdm692
05-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Isos don't work well with Lin either. Lin was drawing comparisons to Nash at the height of Linsanity because of the uptempo, ball movement based offense he was orchestrating. If Woodson returns, his offense needs to be adjusted.

Yes and I understand that but Lin has the explosiveness that nash lacks which is a huge advantage.

0nekhmer
05-10-2012, 09:29 PM
He could actually play defense, is young, and can run the team. Thing is, he resembles Bayless a lot, in the turnover category and as a attack first PG. wouldn't mind grabbing him, letting Bayless and him battle it out for starting role while we trade Jose for another piece.

IndyRealist
05-10-2012, 10:02 PM

Dolan paid $100M in salary for lottery teams.

RealLiveBear
05-10-2012, 10:29 PM
I could see Toronto because of the diverse culture. They could make a ton of money selling that jersey in Canada and then the attendance boost he would bring would just be great for the Raptors who are a struggling team with lots of cash.

Blitzbolt
05-10-2012, 10:51 PM
We have to wait and see what happends with the the big free agents first.

RaiderKid318
05-10-2012, 11:15 PM
hornets to put ***** in the seats

AntiG
05-11-2012, 10:48 AM
its gotta be the Nets. They are on the verge of losing Deron Williams and moving to a new arena in Brooklyn, where tons of Asians live, not to mention Queens too. In addition to trying to revive the franchise, they want to steal the Knicks' thunder.

Jumi
05-11-2012, 10:58 AM
its gotta be the Nets. They are on the verge of losing Deron Williams and moving to a new arena in Brooklyn, where tons of Asians live, not to mention Queens too. In addition to trying to revive the franchise, they want to steal the Knicks' thunder.

This

If the Nets lose Deron then Lin would be a no brainer! They could use him and the young pieces they have to try and build a contender for the future. If Brook Lopez is healthy and Lin and Brooks, with Gerald Green, they have a young team that can grow together. I think it would be better to give the fans a younger team that they can watch grow instead of trying to win it all now with Howard and Williams. Just my thoughts though.

benzni
05-11-2012, 10:59 AM
portland does not have low attendance

mightybosstone
05-11-2012, 12:14 PM
He'll probably stay in New York, but I love the idea of him moving to Indiana. Collison is a piss-poor excuse for a point guard and Lin has proven at times to be a superior distributor and playmaker. I think he could do wonders for West, Granger, George and Hibbert. And if there's any state that appreciates good basketball, it's Indiana.

kubernetes
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
So... who are all these available PG's that are better than Lin and worth a full MLE?

Yeah, that's it right there. Lin isn't top 10 or anything, but he's one of the best pgs available in free agency. The kid puts up solid numbers and he's practically coming off his rookie year--there's great potential there besides just the marketing.

Supa
05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
I think Lin will stay in NY, unless NY mess this up by low balling him.

---

JOSKOMANG4
05-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Nets if Deron Williams decides to leave for Dallas. If Woodson remains with NYK, I highly doubt Lin comes back. Not so sure Woodson was a fan of the asian persuasion.

But yeah.. Nets for the MLE.