PDA

View Full Version : Amare trying to recruit Nash to the Knicks

spreadeagle
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
by Marcel Mutoni / @marcel_mutoni

The Miami Heat had barely finished putting the New York Knicks out of their mysery for the season, and Amar’e Stoudemire was already beginning his recruitement of prized free agents.

Most Knicks fans made themselves feel better last night by dreaming of a full season with a healthy Jeremy Lin next year, but Stoudemire had other, grander ideas.

STAT told the media that he’d like to team up with Steve Nash again.

Reports the NY Daily News:

Amar’e Stoudemire issued a public plea to Steve Nash, his former Phoenix Suns teammate who will be a free agent on July 1, to join him in New York. “Everyone knows that Steve loves New York and that New York loves Steve,” Stoudemire said. “I love Steve. It would be great to have him here next year.” Ideally, the Knicks would have Nash as their starting point guard next season with Jeremy Lin serving as the understudy.

Nash, who spends part of his summer in Manhattan, has always been enamored with the idea of playing at Madison Square Garden. However, close friends say that if Nash were to sign for the veteran minimum, he will go only to a contending team, which is why Miami is suddenly emerging as a strong candidate. “Why would he want to do that,” Stoudemire said, laughing. “This is a terrible, terrible situation here, right?” In other words, Stoudemire understands that LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Pat Riley and South Beach are very attractive to Nash.

Steve Nash will be one of the biggest names on the free agent market this summer, and the prevailing belief around the League is that his days in Phoenix are likely over.

And even though his former coach Mike D’Antoni is no longer employed by the Knicks, it would be fascinating to watch Nash play on Broadway.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/05/amare-stoudemire-wants-to-play-with-steve-nash-in-new-york/

spreadeagle
05-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I have no idea how they plan to keep Lin and sign Nash...both could get large deals elswwhere

Wade>You
05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
As much as I like Nash, I have a feeling that the Heat want to invest in a backup PG for the future and will see how Cole pans out.

AI
05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
This is the one guy the Knicks need if they want to make it work.

AI
05-10-2012, 04:00 PM
I have no idea how they plan to keep Lin and sign Nash...both could get large deals elswwhere

Teams can only offer the MLE to Lin which the Knicks can match (Gilbert Arenas rule). If they can find a way to create room for both, it would be a very smart move for the Knicks.

Heatcheck
05-10-2012, 04:01 PM
As much as I like Nash, I have a feeling that the Heat want to invest in a backup PG for the future and will see how Cole pans out.

Damn that, we get nash

Big Zo
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
"We can punch fire extinguishers and suck at defense together again!"

spreadeagle
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Teams can only offer the MLE to Lin which the Knicks can match (Gilbert Arenas rule). If they can find a way to create room for both, it would be a very smart move for the Knicks.

Not a bad PG combo...but really Nash JR Smith Amare Melo...I just dont see that combo working

LongIslandIcedZ
05-10-2012, 04:04 PM

Not a bad PG combo...but really Nash JR Smith Amare Melo...I just dont see that working

It's seeming more and more likely that JR will not be a Knick next year.

DR_1
05-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I think the Knicks will become that third heavyweight in the East if this happens. A pass-first PG is exactly what they need.

iam brett favre
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Wow, Steve Nash would definitely make me buy tickets for a few games at the Garden this year...:love: :love: :love: him

dtmagnet
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Well as a Raptors fan I naturally would prefer he sign with us, but I'd rather he sign with NY than someone like the Heat.

SMILExHIGHxCITY
05-10-2012, 04:13 PM
I believe Nash will go back to Dallas to reunite with Dirk. Thoughts??

PlezPlayDKnicks
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM
Only person who can save Amare from our horrible iso offense ...

jakedajewler
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM

hahah exactly, amare is not the guy you want recruiting after the crap he's gotten on with this playoffs

MTL_123
05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
God i hate the knicks so much does Amare need that much help just to get out of the first round he has Chandler and Melo and now he wants Nash so pathetic cant even win games with 2 other all stars........jks but ya if knick sign Nash their gonna be a really dirty team nxt year wen shumper is healthy

Nash
Shumper/Jr
Melo/Novalk
Amare/JJ
Chandler really good start

5ass
05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Im pretty sure Lin is an unrestricted FA. I can see the knicks ending up with neither Lin or Nash. I believe some team will offer Lin more than the MLE, maybe about 7 mill. Not that he deserves that kind of money, but he will get big offers based largely on the fact that he generates so much revenue.

oak2455
05-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Im pretty sure Lin is an unrestricted FA. I can see the knicks ending up with neither Lin or Nash. I believe some team will offer Lin more than the MLE, maybe about 7 mill. Not that he deserves that kind of money, but he will get big offers based largely on the fact that he generates so much revenue.

I'm pretty sure they can't offer that to Lin

justinnum1
05-10-2012, 04:29 PM
lin cant get more than 5mil, from anyone.

knicks cant get lin or nash.

watch the nets grab lin if nash goes to NY, but i dont see nash going to ny.

LakersIn5
05-10-2012, 04:30 PM

"and make the conference finals again but this time we have a top 4 center and a top 3 small forward and possibly reach the finals this time just make sure i dont run to help you when horry bumps you to the ground"

oak2455
05-10-2012, 04:31 PM

You never know.... :p

knicks=love
05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
all homerism aside from me, nash isn't a good fit for the heat at all. a pass first PG with lebron and wade would totally take away what nash is capable of doing: creating shots for others. lebron and wade can do that on their own.

nash is the PG the knicks need.

justinnum1
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM
still think the heat will try and get him to **** block:p

knicks=love
05-10-2012, 04:37 PM

we can match any offer for lin since he's a RFA. my dream is for lin to stay and nash take a paycut to groom lin. it would be insane for NY, but it's very unlikely to happen. :sigh:

FlashMacker
05-10-2012, 04:39 PM
all homerism aside from me, nash isn't a good fit for the heat at all. a pass first PG with lebron and wade would totally take away what nash is capable of doing: creating shots for others. lebron and wade can do that on their own.

nash is the PG the knicks need.

Nash is a good 3 point shooter and on Miami he'd have a lot of open looks.

justinnum1
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
we can match any offer for lin since he's a RFA. my dream is for lin to stay and nash take a paycut to groom lin. it would be insane for NY, but it's very unlikely to happen. :sigh:

Yea, but if you give lin 5mil, then you wont have full MLE to offer nash.

Kashmir13579
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Gimme a young Jeremy Lin over an old Steve Nash anyday. Lin is here for the long-haul.

knicks=love
05-10-2012, 04:43 PM

that doesn't matter. that's not what nash is known for. i honestly believe that chalmers is the perfect type of player for the 1 spot along with wade and lebron. nash would just be a waste IMO, other than hitting the open jumpers like you said, but that's not what nash would/should sign somewhere for.

Big Zo
"and make the conference finals again but this time we have a top 4 center and a top 3 small forward and possibly reach the finals this time just make sure i dont run to help you when horry bumps you to the ground"

"... But we're now old, and wouldn't stand a chance against Miami or Chicago cuz they can actually defend."

knicks=love
Yea, but if you give lin 5mil, then you wont have full MLE to offer nash.

very true. i just hope teams see his injury and are cautious about it. since the knicks absolutely sucked in the playoffs, it might be good for the players that we want back (lin, novak, JJ, maybe JR - not sure about him yet)

FriedTofuz

heat cant afford to sign him and a trade would not work. Get back to reality please.

ryang
05-10-2012, 05:12 PM
amnesty m.miller.. theres a whole lot of room right there.. just sayin

gwrighter
05-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Knicks cap situation is a mess, they are still fairly distant from being a contender or at least competing with the Heat. Team chemistry there is just awful & the Knicks already have a supposed up & coming PG in Lin that they have invested a lot of advertising $$ in. Don't see Nash really going there & like others said if he's going to take a pay cut then he would rather go to somewhere that has a legitimate shot at winning the Title.

The question is... If the Heat WERE to win the title this season would they still even want Steve Nash? Seeing as they would have found the "winning formula". Doubt it.

Better suitors are probably Dallas, Raptors & Pacers.

CEasFiRe
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
amare is likely going to be traded if its possible, so why recruit when you may be perhaps not wanted

ryang
05-10-2012, 05:29 PM
nobody will take amares contract considering his track record.. not 2 mention is health concerns.. riley wanted amare over bosh but he had the common sence to know his health has never held up and he is only getting older.. not amares fault but its still the case

JasonJohnHorn
05-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Nash ran the P&R with Amare so well... those two had really great chemistry, and to have a great player like Melo in the mix and a strong defender in Chandler holding down the fort in the middle... sounds great on paper. Keeping Smith would be important though, and I'm not so sure he'll be willing to take the league minimum. NY can offer Nash the MLE and still be allowed to match any offers for Lin. So it becomes an issue of depth for the Knicks. They will have a great starting line-up, but will they have the talent they need coming off of the bench?

uprightciti
05-10-2012, 05:48 PM
PG: Nash/Lin/TD
SG: Fields/Iman
SF: Melo/Novak
PF: Amare/Jorts
C: Chandler/JJ

i actually really ****ing love that line up

I wonder who they will get with there second round pick

and will they retain Fields and Novak and JJ?

JR is pretty much done as of yesterday

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Amare, you are probably gone even when Nash somehow makes it to the NY:laugh:

Hoopsadvocate
05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
oh great another name the knicks will throw out there and claim will solve all their problems and make them tha greatest thing since the 90's bulls.

He will help amare but wont help the most important things which is their defense and streaky shooting.

KingPosey
05-10-2012, 06:07 PM
I hope Nash goes to a REAL contender, not another 6 to 8 playoff team. I get why he would play in TOR, I just dont want to see him waste more precious time on a mediocre team.

LakersIn5
05-10-2012, 06:10 PM
"... But we're now old, and wouldn't stand a chance against Miami or Chicago cuz they can actually defend."

"but how often does it happen that the team with the best defense win the ship?"

dtmagnet
05-10-2012, 06:27 PM

In that case why wouldn't they just sign Jason Terry to play point guard?

Raph12
05-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Lin is overrated, Nash would really help the offense, but Tyson will have one hell of a time accounting for all of the defensive mistakes with Nash-Melo-Stat as the core...

JC_
05-10-2012, 06:42 PM
I hope Nash goes to a REAL contender, not another 6 to 8 playoff team. I get why he would play in TOR, I just dont want to see him waste more precious time on a mediocre team.

Same. I like the Knicks but most of the fans are way too dramatic and I dont think it will be a good fit for him. They would mess with his awesomeness. He needs to go to a team that not only is a contender but a place where people are semi-respectful even when the team is struggling a bit. It would be amazing to see him on a team like the Heat just because of the cool **** they would do together.