PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets motivated by Bynum's comments

spreadeagle
05-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Bynum’s ‘Arrogant Statement’

by Marcel Mutoni / @marcel_mutoni

Prior to their first round Playoff series, no one truly gave the Denver Nuggets a chance against the Los Angeles Lakers. And through the first two games of the battle, those views were justified.

The series is now suddenly 3-2, heading back to Colorado, and the Nuggets have been given new life.

Andrew Bynum’s comments prior to last night’s tilt motivated the underdog Nuggets, and the Lakers have a serious fight on their hands.

From Yahoo! Sports:

George Karl’s first order of business when he walked into the Denver Nuggets’ locker room Tuesday was to find video coordinator Nate Anderson. “You put that quote at the end of the film?” the Nuggets coach asked Anderson. Yes, Anderson had done his work, attaching the inflammatory words of Los Angeles Lakers center Andrew Bynum at the end of the Nuggets’ pregame film. “Closeout games are actually kind of easy,” Bynum had said a day earlier. “Teams tend to fold if you come out and play hard in the beginning.”

“A lot of players are arrogant, man,” Nuggets guard Ty Lawson said. “That was an arrogant statement. That definitely did give us fuel and motivation to win this game. We don’t like people saying stuff about us. We all looked at each and other and were like, ‘All right, let’s go.’”

Andrew Bynum’s lackadaisical approach last night made it clear that he truly believed that it’d be easy to put these Nuggets away, and the big fella even stuck to his guns following the loss. He’s the best.

With the OKC Thunder resting comfortably and waiting for their next Playoff opponent, the Lakers must now regroup, and try to win Game 6 in hostile Denver. Regardless of what Bynum may claim, there’s certainly nothing “easy” about that.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=41

Joshtd1
05-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Yea..that was a strange thing to say. If anything close out games would be harder since they are fighting off elimination.

Wade>You
05-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Agreed, close out games are hard. Teams only seem to play great when they're in desperation mode, whether it's a close out game or the 4th quarter when they've all but lost the game.

If more teams would play like they were about to be eliminated or were down 20pts, they'd never put themselves in that predicament in the first place.

kblo247
05-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Yea..that was a strange thing to say. If anything close out games would be harder since they are fighting off elimination.

That mouth is why Andrew isn't allowed to go to the press table by the Lakers. I has no literal filter as he says what comes out without thinking.

As for the comment itself, I guess it looks easy. You have to remember that every closeout LA has had in his career was Odom and Pau killing it alongside Kobe while he sat and watched.

Jenceman
05-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Cool well the Nuggets are still going to be eliminated.

LTBaByyy
05-09-2012, 05:41 PM
If the Nuggets win Game 6 and 7 (which is possible) Bynum will get his *** kicked by Kobe, I guarantee it

justjames
05-09-2012, 06:11 PM
They needed more motivation to not get eliminated from the playoffs?

Ebbs
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I actually agree with Bynum.

Although I hope the Nuggets pull a Suns and pimp slap the Lakers after being down 3-1

Avenged
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Sorry but this is something you need to get motivated in a playoff series? So what are they saying, if Bynum doesn't make those comments they would have laid flat? One silly comment deserves another I guess.

LTBaByyy
05-09-2012, 06:28 PM
I hope Bynum keeps talking! Make this series interesting

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-09-2012, 06:29 PM

This.

Kevj77
05-09-2012, 06:50 PM
That mouth is why Andrew isn't allowed to go to the press table by the Lakers. I has no literal filter as he says what comes out without thinking.

As for the comment itself, I guess it looks easy. You have to remember that every closeout LA has had in his career was Odom and Pau killing it alongside Kobe while he sat and watched.I like Bynum, but this is so true. He watched all those closeout games in crunchtime from the bench.

THE GIPPER
05-09-2012, 08:11 PM
]Sorry but this is something you need to get motivated in a playoff series? [/B]So what are they saying, if Bynum doesn't make those comments they would have laid flat? One silly comment deserves another I guess.

Where does it say that the nuggets needed this to have motivation to win? So what they used a comment to help motivate them even more.

Nothing wrong with them using absolutely anything they can to give them motivation to win.

THE GIPPER
05-09-2012, 08:16 PM

Again Im searching for where it says they needed more motivation. Did some of the nuggets players say they were short motivation and needed bynum to say some dumbass comment so that they would have enough motivation to win?

Stop justifying his arrogant and moronic comments.

justjames
05-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Again Im searching for where it says they needed more motivation. Did some of the nuggets players say they were short motivation and needed bynum to say some dumbass comment so that they would have enough motivation to win?

Stop justifying his arrogant and moronic comments.

Not trying to justify what Bynum said.

You either have motivation or you don't. There's no in between. Ty Lawson saying that they used Bynum's comment as motivation means that it wasn't there to begin with.

These are highly paid professional men. Only boys turn to bulletin board material to get them hyped up and ready.

Avenged
05-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Where does it say that the nuggets needed this to have motivation to win? So what they used a comment to help motivate them even more.

Nothing wrong with them using absolutely anything they can to give them motivation to win.

Lawson "That definitely did give us fuel and motivation to win this game."

This motivated him and the team. There is nothing wrong with it but you don't want to have to rely on bulletin material to get you up. They were down 3-1 that should be motivation enough to come out swinging, and they did.

evadatam5150
05-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Cool well the Nuggets are still going to be eliminated.

Really..?? You have a bunch of midgets out rebounding and out hustling a bigger Lakers team on a nightly basis now. One great game does a series not make.. Lakers will get what they deserve in the end, a seat watching the Finals on a big screen TV..

THE GIPPER
05-09-2012, 08:50 PM

You either have motivation or you don't. There's no in between. Ty Lawson saying that they used Bynum's comment as motivation means that it wasn't there to begin with.

These are highly paid professional men. Only boys turn to bulletin board material to get them hyped up and ready.

You honestly believe that the Nuggets had zero motivation before they heard about Bynum's comment?

Baller1
05-09-2012, 08:54 PM

That's complete ********.

THE GIPPER
05-09-2012, 09:04 PM

This motivated him and the team. There is nothing wrong with it but you don't want to have to rely on bulletin material to get you up. They were down 3-1 that should be motivation enough to come out swinging, and they did.

They're not relying on it they're just using it to their advantage. I dont get how Ty and the Nuggets are being criticized for using anything they can to get an advantage.

justjames
05-09-2012, 09:06 PM
I don't think there are varying degrees of motivation. You're either motivated or you're not.

Some players get their tackle box ready for fishing when they're down in a series and facing elimination and some rise to the challenge and fight for their playoff lives (read: checks).

llemon
05-09-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't think there are varying degrees of motivation. You're either motivated or you're not.

Some players get their tackle box ready for fishing when they're down in a series and facing elimination and some rise to the challenge and fight for their playoff lives (read: checks).

You post this when it is absolutely undeniable that there are various degrees of motivation.

It has been obvious since the NBA has been in existence that provoking the opposition is not a good idea.

In a world of robots, you might be right.

But, are we not men?

mgjohnson7851
05-09-2012, 09:29 PM

being that i am currently in grad school for psychology with an emphasis on sport psychology, i can tell you that you ar wrong.

there are 7 different types of motivation such as attitude motivation, incentive motivation, and achievement motivation. the more types of motivation you have directly correlates to your overall level of motivation.

what bynum did was give the nuggets power motivation (one of the seven types) and it was absolutely inexcusable.

championships
05-09-2012, 09:31 PM
This is why they call it "Bulletin Material"

Karl probably had it written, in large letters, on the white board.

championships
05-09-2012, 09:33 PM
Bynums an idiot.

LeMarcus
05-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Add Content

Sactown
05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
When being beat down, it's easy to play the blame game and or give-up, I think this gave the Nuggets a sense of unity and definitely gave them something to prove. It's bad enough to be outplayed by a better team, It's another thing to be proven that you don't belong.. and I think it definitely gave Denver something to prove, especially McGee

ThunderousDemon
05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
I just hope this series doesn't go to game seven,but then again I wouldn't be surprised if it did go to game seven

phoenix_bladen
05-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Nuggets gonnna lose anyways so doesn't matter

justjames
05-09-2012, 10:04 PM
being that i am currently in grad school for psychology with an emphasis on sport psychology, i can tell you that you ar wrong.

there are 7 different types of motivation such as attitude motivation, incentive motivation, and achievement motivation. the more types of motivation you have directly correlates to your overall level of motivation.

what bynum did was give the nuggets power motivation (one of the seven types) and it was absolutely inexcusable.

Sure there are different things to draw motivation from but I still don't believe that means there are levels of being motivated. One can have motivation but still not be motivated.

Being a psychology student, you must have covered action potentials at some point. Once you reach a certain mV threshold, an action potential will fire off and more mV won't create a stronger one.

Being motivated is the same thing to me. Some may be able to reach their threshold with only 1 or 2 of those different types of motivation while others may require all of them. The Nuggets using the power motivation that Bynum provided just means to me that some of them didn't previously have enough motivation to trigger the action potential (being motivated)

Go_NUGGETS
05-09-2012, 10:04 PM

Of course it motivated the team...There's no rule book in the universe that says "one shall not rely on bulletin material" ...Whatever works, works! If the result is good, than why not use it? I hope Bynum keeps talking his ****, he sounds more ******** when talking than McGee does.

Avenged
05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Of course it motivated the team...There's no rule book in the universe that says "one shall not rely on bulletin material" ...Whatever works, works! If the result is good, than why not use it? I hope Bynum keeps talking his ****, he sounds more ******** when talking than McGee does.

Agreed with all of that, whatever it takes to win. Looking at the full quote he made though it doesn't sound so bad.

"“Teams tend to fold if you come out and play hard in the beginning.” Nothing wrong with that, heck he's probably right. If you just read the part where he says "close out games are easy" then yeah he sounds a bit arrogant and full of himself.. But the whole quote doesn't really imply that. Good job for the Nuggets to use that as motivation (they're just going to have to find something else to motivate them now for game 6), whereas the Lakers failed to use these words as motivation to back him up.

Baller1
05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Sure there are different things to draw motivation from but I still don't believe that means there are levels of being motivated. One can have motivation but still not be motivated.

Being a psychology student, you must have covered action potentials at some point. Once you reach a certain mV threshold, an action potential will fire off and more mV won't create a stronger one.

Being motivated is the same thing to me. Some may be able to reach their threshold with only 1 or 2 of those different types of motivation while others may require all of them. The Nuggets using the power motivation that Bynum provided just means to me that some of them didn't previously have enough motivation to trigger the action potential (being motivated)

I'm not sure I can think of a more contradictory statement.

BlahaTRUTH
05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
Bynum looked disinterested in Game 5. Was unpleasant to watch him just mosey about from play to play. He got what like 12-15 touches the entire game, I don't care that Kobe took a hundred shots and dropped 40, Bynum needed to demand the ball more and be more aggressive. He looked passive on defense too.

If you're going to talk, you better back it up.

kubernetes
05-09-2012, 10:36 PM

Do you watch any sports? What you wrote sounds good in theory, but athletes in every professional sport will tell you about bulletin board material. A public insult or diss gets people emotional and it makes them play harder.

khaleesi
05-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Bynum is a cheap player.

Mcdoh
05-09-2012, 10:57 PM
let's just wait and see tomorrow.. :D

justjames
05-09-2012, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure I can think of a more contradictory statement.

Nothing contradictory about it. Let me give you an example.

All students have motivation to study and get good grades in school, correct? Are all students motivated individuals that get good grades? Nope.

Just because motivation to do something exists, it doesn't mean that one is motivated. Being motivated is an all or nothing state of mind.

BlinkManJan02
05-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Players like him and Artest give the Lakers a terrible name. Yes they are very talented, but they make it very easy to hate on them. They represent the Lakers, so it makes it very easy to hate on the Lakers and cheer against them. I've always been a Kobe fan..he's right up there with Jordan..and with all he's done I don't see how fans can't respect him. He's a classy guy, idk why people hate on him.

I'd love to see Bynum and Artest lose, but I'd like seeing Kobe win. Damn it, cannot have both haha.

C_Mund
05-10-2012, 12:36 AM
Agreed with all of that, whatever it takes to win. Looking at the full quote he made though it doesn't sound so bad.

"“Teams tend to fold if you come out and play hard in the beginning.” Nothing wrong with that, heck he's probably right. If you just read the part where he says "close out games are easy" then yeah he sounds a bit arrogant and full of himself.. But the whole quote doesn't really imply that. Good job for the Nuggets to use that as motivation (they're just going to have to find something else to motivate them now for game 6), whereas the Lakers failed to use these words as motivation to back him up.

...or maybe he's referring to how the Lakers laid down against the Mavs last year in one of the most pathetic post-season performances I've ever seen.
It's easy to take his comments with a grain of salt when you're cheering for him, but to come out and say that beating a team in the playoffs is easy is insulting, unprofessional, and for the most part, untrue.

C_Mund
05-10-2012, 12:43 AM

All students have motivation to study and get good grades in school, correct? Are all students motivated individuals that get good grades? Nope.

Just because motivation to do something exists, it doesn't mean that one is motivated. Being motivated is an all or nothing state of mind.

I'm no head doctor, but that just doesn't sound right to me. If I were offered five thousand dollars to do a one-day job, you can bet I'd bust my *** to do it. But if they turned around at the end and offered me a million for the same job the next day if and ONLY if I improved my performance I bet there would be another gear I didn't know I had

mgjohnson7851
05-10-2012, 02:54 AM

so when the motivated student gets a bad grade on a test and vows to do better on the next one, in your opinion the motivation level stays constant with the motivational level the student had before the bad test?

there is extra motivation placed by the bad test grade because its coming from an alternative source.

Cfrey
05-10-2012, 03:12 AM
bynum is just a big dumb dude lmao... get an education ******

kblo247
05-10-2012, 05:44 AM
See my sig

kblo247
05-10-2012, 05:46 AM
...or maybe he's referring to how the Lakers laid down against the Mavs last year in one of the most pathetic post-season performances I've ever seen.
It's easy to take his comments with a grain of salt when you're cheering for him, but to come out and say that beating a team in the playoffs is easy is insulting, unprofessional, and for the most part, untrue.
It's easy if you are a guy who has watched and not had to do the killing.

Think about how many closeout games LA had in their 3 straight finals run. Thing is it was Kobe, Pau, Lamar, Fish, and Artest/Sasha/Ariza doing the closing in every series and cutting the head off. Phil used to tell guys to step on teams throat and put in his closing unit before the 4th to do just that.

Bynum watched a lot because he was hobbled, and he has an oh I can do that cause it looks so easy mentality

Kobe and his body disagrees with them being easy as do Fish, Lamar, and Pau with all the lums they took but the fact is they handled business so many times with him watching that he thought hey it ain't hard, which is stupid, explainable, but mother ****ing stupid

Patman
05-10-2012, 06:42 AM
I can't believe lakers fans making fun of Denver needing this. Isn't it always when someone bashes kobe in the media or from another team that he will use that as motivation? Can't the most competitive player not get up unless someone blasts him? Oh and the lakers clearly show that the playoffs are not enough to motivate a team.

You draw motivation from everywhere you can and if its stuff like that you take it. Jordan motivated himself with stuff like this, so does kobe and most other teams and players, nothing wrong with that.

And no motivation isn't an on of thing, there are different Motivation levels, because motivation comes from different sources.

Vee-Rex
05-10-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm no head doctor, but that just doesn't sound right to me. If I were offered five thousand dollars to do a one-day job, you can bet I'd bust my *** to do it. But if they turned around at the end and offered me a million for the same job the next day if and ONLY if I improved my performance I bet there would be another gear I didn't know I had

This post right here wins the whole motivation debate. Someone can be motivated butnot find that top gear until they are disrespected or insulted. Do you think Jordan or Kobe were playing lazy when their "so called stoppers" defended them? No. But everyone knows better than to call themself a Kobe or Jordan stopper or they will find that next gear and destroy them.

DenButsu
05-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm kind of 50/50 on this.

I think the point that no team facing elimination should need something like this to get motivated (and if they do it's probably a problem) is a legitimate one (though I don't believe the Nuggs needed it per se).

But on the other hand, it's probably a mistake to unnecessarily gift your opponent with extra fuel for the fire in their belly, so probably not the best move by Bynum on that count.