PDA

View Full Version : Rare interview with Greg Oden

HouRealCoach
05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Greg Oden is a deeply private person, so there are so many new admissions that make his NBA career even more of a tragedy in this interview with Grantland contributor and former Ohio State teammate Mark Titus. The whole thing is worth reading just to get a picture of all the misfortune Oden had to deal with beyond, you know, his serious knee injuries.

Some highlights of the piece:

The broken wrist that Oden suffered prior to his only year at Ohio State wasn't actually a basketball-related injury. He was actually injured protecting his brother Anthony in a fight, even though they never really got along.
He learned his best friend died in a car accident just moments after one of his best games of the season in a two-point win over powerful Michigan State.
Thanks in part to his struggles dealing with that tragedy, as well as being left to his own devices and running in the wrong crowds, Oden, by his own admission, "pretty much became an alcoholic" in his second year in the league.
The sports psychologist he hired later began also working for the Blazers, meaning he very easily could have been sharing notes from their private sessions with the team.
He rushed back from injuries twice because he felt pressured to play through pain.
The saddest part for me: his blind dog died when it went through a hotel balcony window and fell several stories to its death.
Oden said in the piece that he's still working on an NBA comeback, but my wishes are higher for him. I hope he finds peace in whatever he does.

Full Interview here (http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7908766/a-rare-interview-former-no-1-overall-pick-greg-oden-injury-plagued-career)

Nice Read

topdog
05-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Geesh, that is depressing...

ManningToTyree
05-09-2012, 02:07 PM
damn that was a downer

P-O-Z
05-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Its sad man. I root for this guy, I hope he can finally get healthy. Been fighting the odds his whole life.

Oefarmy2005
05-09-2012, 02:22 PM
I honestly wish him well. I hope the Wolves take a look at him down the road.

thekmp211
05-09-2012, 02:27 PM
immediate take aways -- amazing story that only a friend could write about greg. well done, you feel for the kid even more.

2 -- portland medical staff has some splaining to do. oden and roy were both not given the proper advice and rehab regarding their knees insomuch as they both ruined their careers by returning prematurely. 2 young players and a decade of portland basketball have suffered as a result.

being that oden came out of HS the same year i've always felt a stronger connection to his story. hard to say most of us haven't struggled with some of what he went through, the stakes are just so much higher for him. good stuff. realy really hope he makes it back, by age 27 he could be fully healthy and still have a nice career of NBA basketball ahead of him. and with his size and athletic ability, he'll get a look until his knees literally fall off. good luck greg.

P-O-Z
05-09-2012, 02:28 PM
"I don't care about what all of these injuries mean for any legacy I might have," he said. "I just want to play basketball. I could've signed with a team after Portland cut me and just sat on the bench and collected paychecks, but that's not my style. That just seems really unethical. Besides, money doesn't matter to me. I've got enough money. All I want is to get 100 percent healthy and get back on the court."

PC
05-09-2012, 02:46 PM

I remember hearing something like this after his first surgery. Both he and his mother went to the owner crying and apologizing. Seems like a genuinely good person that just wants to play basketball so you really have to root for him to make a comeback and stay healthy. Best of luck Greg

CrasH-X
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Career resurgence in PHX ..

dee279
05-09-2012, 02:52 PM
I wish the man the best. He really has so much talent, heart, and love for the game that you just cant dislike the guy. I hope he finds a team when he is healthy and has the career he visioned for himself. Cant let a few mistakes, and bad advice ruin a good career. I wish you the best Greg.

STAT1
05-09-2012, 03:16 PM
His best chance is in Phoenix. They work miracles.

KnicksPain
05-09-2012, 03:19 PM
His best chance is in Phoenix. They work miracles.

This. Im not a Suns fan I just wanna see this guy get the proper treatment from probably the most competent training staff with one hell of a track record.

KnicksorBust
05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
immediate take aways -- amazing story that only a friend could write about greg. well done, you feel for the kid even more.

2 -- portland medical staff has some splaining to do. oden and roy were both not given the proper advice and rehab regarding their knees insomuch as they both ruined their careers by returning prematurely. 2 young players and a decade of portland basketball have suffered as a result.

being that oden came out of HS the same year i've always felt a stronger connection to his story. hard to say most of us haven't struggled with some of what he went through, the stakes are just so much higher for him. good stuff. realy really hope he makes it back, by age 27 he could be fully healthy and still have a nice career of NBA basketball ahead of him. and with his size and athletic ability, he'll get a look until his knees literally fall off. good luck greg.

Did you click on the link in the article with the biomechanics? It makes the Portland Trailblazers medical staff look like a bunch of amateurs. Roy-Pryzbilla-Oden were all diagnosed with issues and the Blazers dropped the ball in a big way. Considering how talented both Roy and Oden were, it's an embarassment for that team how this all broke.

Huntey
05-09-2012, 03:23 PM
I thought this was intresting (linked in the article): http://zigsports.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/greg-oden-brandon-roy-what-what-happened/

It's amazing how Portland had so many players going down to injury yet didn't do anything about it.

Huntey
05-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Also it's sad because ROY, aldridge and Oden could have been a better trio than OKC got going on right now.

rufo4100
05-09-2012, 04:21 PM
really great read. Feel bad for Oden. Hope he can revive his NBA career.

TopsyTurvy
05-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Great read, even stronger indictment that Portland's staff squandered some fantastic talent.

thekmp211
05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Did you click on the link in the article with the biomechanics? It makes the Portland Trailblazers medical staff look like a bunch of amateurs. Roy-Pryzbilla-Oden were all diagnosed with issues and the Blazers dropped the ball in a big way. Considering how talented both Roy and Oden were, it's an embarassment for that team how this all broke.

yeah it definitely doesn't look good for them at all. it's interesting because portland for years has had a reputation for being one of better run franchises in the league. but this is certainly not good business practice, or life practice for that matter.

akagiredsuns
05-09-2012, 04:53 PM
He's hurt his knees too much and he can risk some serious permanent damage trying another comeback. His body simply was not built to handle the physical strain of basketball. It's sad, and as much as Oden could have been a good player, you can't keep beating a dead horse. Even if he is still young, he could be setting himself up for yet another disappointment. Knees are such a delicate part of the body and three microfracture surgeries later, I just think it's too much for the guy.

JasonJohnHorn
05-09-2012, 05:03 PM
I hope he comes back strong and be the kind of player Chandler has become. He used to commit a lot of fouls, but he's got the work ethic to get it done.

Its doubly troubling because that Portland team had the potential to put together a real dynasty with Roy, Oden and LMA, but injuries put the team back five years. Hopefully for Oden he will get healthy and still have a productive career, and hopefully for Portland this year's draft will get them back on track.

Kdirt
05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I dont feel bad for anyone that got a free ride to college, made millions in the NBA, and has the rest of their lives to do whatever they want. Get on with it Greg.

PleaseBeNice
05-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Damn, I feel bad for what he has experienced

Delrayhc
05-09-2012, 07:01 PM
I dont feel bad for anyone that got a free ride to college, made millions in the NBA, and has the rest of their lives to do whatever they want. Get on with it Greg.

Obviously he can't do whatever he wants because all he wants to do is play ball. Great post bagadouche.

Jarvo
05-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Damn, I wish him the best of luck and he comesback strong

Laces-Out
05-09-2012, 07:30 PM

i feel bad for u

UPRock
05-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Wow, sad.

BlahaTRUTH
05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Good article. I learned a lot about Greg Oden that I did not know before. The article did a great job of humanizing Oden.

When he talks about how he doesn't like interacting with fans, because, he can't understand why they get joy out of interacting with him, it's some sad stuff, you can really feel for Oden.

Sactown
05-09-2012, 10:03 PM
I can't imagine anybody rooting against this guy at this point

Catfish1314
05-09-2012, 10:05 PM
That part about the dog was awful.

It could be worse. He could have no money, no friends, and no family. Hopefully he can look at life with the glass half full.

BlahaTRUTH
05-09-2012, 10:33 PM
His passion for the game is astounding too, despite all his troubles.

He needs to take this year off, like he planned and then look into joining PHX or DET. Let a real training staff work with him.

WSUJJ
05-09-2012, 10:40 PM

So if you have a job you love, and then win the lottery, make millions. One day sitting in the chair you fall over cause you're dumb, then break your leg. You rehab and it gets better, you fall off again cause you got more fat, then you fall off the chair again and get fired. Are you mad at the chair?

what did the farmer say who lost his tractor?
Farmer: "Where's my tractor?"

Phenomenonsense
05-09-2012, 10:44 PM
His passion for the game is astounding too, despite all his troubles.

He needs to take this year off, like he planned and then look into joining PHX or DET. Let a real training staff work with him.

I really hope he goes to one of those teams. Legendary training staff.

netsgiantsyanks
05-09-2012, 10:47 PM
and people treat him like a dick blindly. geesh. hope he gets through everything, i hate stories like this.

Ill21
05-09-2012, 10:49 PM
I feel so bad for him

netsgiantsyanks
05-09-2012, 10:50 PM

yeah, because him getting a free pass to college and making millions based off of a gift automatically means they can get out of rough times. jesus, this post screams *******.

netsgiantsyanks
05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
i get it, you look at wealthy people negatively, but come on. at the end, they're humans.

WSUJJ
05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
i get it, you look at wealthy people negatively, but come on. at the end, they're humans.

guy's just mad

NYMetropolitans
05-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Best of luck to Greg, like the writer said I hope he can find peace most importantly.

justinnum1
05-09-2012, 11:11 PM
:sigh:

It'sMyTime
05-09-2012, 11:22 PM
I really wish this kid the best. Great story on how he isnt in it for the money but hecause he has a passion for the game. Hope he can get 100% healthy and show us all what he can do on the court.

Becks2307
05-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Didn't realize he was taking off next season too! I thought he was gonna play. anyway wish him the best.

Rivera
05-10-2012, 01:52 PM
i feel really bad for this kid i honestly do i just read the whole article and i was sadden...great read

Giraffes Rule
05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
ESPN just mentioned this interview in one of their Sportscenter radio breaks, but all they talked about was the alcohol. :facepalm:

HouRealCoach
05-10-2012, 04:47 PM
^^^That's ESPN... Only thing they care about is him being this era's Sam Bowie/Olowakandi

mvb815
05-10-2012, 05:08 PM
i don't really feel bad for him either. yeah that's his side, of course it's going to make him look like a good yet troubled person. he says it's not for the money because he already has the money, if he would have went down in hs and said that i'd have some respect for him, but he's been collecting checks for how long?

plus he's made his own bad decisions, like playing pickup before he was cleared from injury, and posting his **** on the internet

da ThRONe
05-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Finally got around to reading the article. Very unfortunate for Greg especially when I just read another article from another site saying that a Portland exc hired an independent research company to examine not only Greg but the whole team. They found that because of Greg's injury to his right knee it was putting extra strain on the left knee. Sure enough Greg left knee was injuried due to improper rehabbing and rushing him back to the court.

Hopefully this rehab year is done properly and Greg can end his career strong. I would love to see him in Phoenix. And maybe just maybe if Phoenix gets a decent draft pick in this deep draft my Nola team can trade Gordon away to the Suns for this year pick and next years unprotected 1st. The Suns in 2013-14 could have Gordon and Oden with maybe the best medical staff in sports.

Bravo95
05-11-2012, 12:33 PM
His comment/logic about sending phone pics was hilarious.

Rain City
05-11-2012, 12:59 PM
The Greg Oden story has been a sad one, a once and a decade big man prospect who has been totally decimated by injury. He is still a young man and showed the talent to be a quality big even if he's not 100%. I always thought he was unfortunate but i think bad decisions has also led to him not being able to get out on the floor and I dont see the intangibles to overcome his health woes.

What if Portland wins the lottery again? Anthony Davis is the hands down #1 pick, another once a decade-type big man prospect. That'd be interesting.

Fresno
05-11-2012, 04:40 PM
The Greg Oden story has been a sad one, a once and a decade big man prospect who has been totally decimated by injury. He is still a young man and showed the talent to be a quality big even if he's not 100%. I always thought he was unfortunate but i think bad decisions has also led to him not being able to get out on the floor and I dont see the intangibles to overcome his health woes.

What if Portland wins the lottery again? Anthony Davis is the hands down #1 pick, another once a decade-type big man prospect. That'd be interesting.

I feel sorry for Anthony Davis.

Who knows what injury he'll pick up in Portland due their medical staff.

It seems look at what has happened to every other big man they've drafted.

Cfrey
05-11-2012, 05:10 PM
hope he'll play again

DerekRE_3
05-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Really hope he can make a comeback. Take a year to get ready Greg, then sign with Phoenix.