PDA

View Full Version : Over the Hill but stuck in your heart

Il Mago50
05-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Who is the one player that you've watched as they deteriorate and that sad feeling hits you when you watch them play at their old/injury ridden self.

For me, it's gotta be McGrady. I still saw a few flashes during the last couple of years in NY and Atlanta but his health just sapped him of everything that made him great.

Who's that player for you?

D-Leethal
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
I still have a hard time thinking of what I saw Baron Davis go through this past month manning up and playing starters minutes injured and on fumes to help my team and how it culminated to the point where his knee shattered on Sunday. Honestly makes me sad as ****.

It was hard watching and in his heart he was still 19 at UCLA but his game and physical state had passed him by. Still gave 100% for the team and it might have ended his career. I don't give a **** what anyone here has to say about his Clipper tenure, that dude is a warrior.

mvb815
05-08-2012, 08:46 PM
vince carter for sure, it seems like everytime he gets traded to a new team he just becomes a lower option

D-Leethal
05-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Watching everyone of my favorite players growing up crumble to pieces makes you really appreciate how much of a freak Kobe really is.

smith&wesson
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
I still have a hard time thinking of what I saw Baron Davis go through this past month manning up and playing starters minutes injured and on fumes to help my team and how it culminated to the point where his knee shattered on Sunday. Honestly makes me sad as ****.

It was hard watching and in his heart he was still 19 at UCLA but his game and physical state had passed him by. Still gave 100% for the team and it might have ended his career. I don't give a **** what anyone here has to say about his Clipper tenure, that dude is a warrior.

this.

b diddy was a joy to watch. im gonna miss him.

Teeboy1487
05-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Watching everyone of my favorite players growing up crumble to pieces makes you really appreciate how much of a freak Kobe really is.

I saw a highlight of Vince Carter airballing a lay up. I agree with your post 100%. Steve Nash and Dirk too just to add.

stawka
05-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Shaq - for his last damn 4 seasons. I used to watch his team play hoping for them to win a title, but damn that **** hurt, especially Cleveland and Boston

Il Mago50
05-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Shaq - for his last damn 4 seasons. I used to watch his team play hoping for them to win a title, but damn that **** hurt, especially Cleveland and Boston

True, watching Shaq in the early 2000`s was a pleasure, how he was basically unstoppable with that athleticism-power-size combination. I still stick by what I said when he was breaking down that if he had adjusted and shed 20-30 pounds, he`d have gotten a step back. He simply looked like he didn`t care physically after he left the Suns.

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
If we're talking about guys that are still in the league right now, Ben Wallace for sure. Loved watching that guy defend and rebound.

TeamSeattle
05-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Tracy McGrady...guy had so much potential to be a hof. Not anymore unfortunately....

Weezy
05-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Tracy McGrady...guy had so much potential to be a hof. Not anymore unfortunately....

Yep Tmac, Baron, AI, Steve Francis, Allan Houston, Larry Johnson are the ones I can think of since I've been watching basketball but number 1 for me has to be Sprewell. IDK wtf he was thinking pulling the "i need to feed my kids" line.

dee279
05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Mos def T-Mac.

TrueFan420
05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Timmy d... He still flashes his skill from time to time but the low in minutes numbers and just watching him play he's not the same guy anymore

Yunqn
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Wow .. I miss everyone lol when i irst read this i thought instantly of mcgrady but carter a.i kg and duncan.. Even francis was a favorite.. Wow .. Those were the days lol.. Especially in nba live

meloman1592
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I would say Iverson but his attitude is what made him go down in flames. He did slow down but he was still good in Denver and to a certain extent in Detroit. Then his ego wouldn't let him adapt...really sucks

VinceCarter
05-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Vince Carter.....obviously

BranWingss
05-08-2012, 10:20 PM
Vince Carter for me. He's really fallen downhill since Orlando. He continues to get worse and worse. He had some productive games for Dallas though.

PurpleJesus
05-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Grant Hill after he left Detroit. Ever since he became a rookie for the Pistons, he was one of the best all around players in the game. Then he went to Orlando, got injured and was never the same. He has been able to salvage a pretty great career, but never became one of the all time greats that he was destined for.

mdm692
05-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Agent zero. 50pts night in night out the guy was a beast.

PurpleJesus
05-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah, Grant Hill.

He was putting up Lebron James type numbers (less scoring) before the injury. A lot of people forget how absolutely great he was.

His last season in Detroit, he was only 27, and was averaging 26 points, 7 rebounds and 5 assists...5-6 more years of prime Grant should have been left, and with 5-6 more years of numbers like that, we are talking about a possible top 15 player of all time.

Lakerhead4ever
05-08-2012, 11:19 PM
For me is mike bibby, people forget how good he was. and very clutch and explosive. even though i hated him with the kings along with webber, turk, peja, bibby was a great player.

RonE Coleman
05-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Agent zero. 50pts night in night out the guy was a beast.

Good call... gilbert was the man

Sactown
05-08-2012, 11:25 PM
C-Web and his bad knees

Cal827
05-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Jack and Jill

thekmp211
05-08-2012, 11:29 PM
t-mac and baron for sure. t-mac is beloved by many around these parts. i agree that seeing baron play into shape only to blow the knee out was a really crappy way for him to go.

mrblisterdundee
05-08-2012, 11:40 PM
I take "over the hill" to mean that they're deteriorating because of age and not necessarily because of undue injury.

1. Tracy McGrady
2. Allen Iverson
3. Baron Davis
4. Jason Kidd
5 Grant Hill

Sactown
05-08-2012, 11:41 PM
For me is mike bibby, people forget how good he was. and very clutch and explosive. even though i hated him with the kings along with webber, turk, peja, bibby was a great player.

Yeah not many people realize MIke broke his ankle after that great playoff run

MonroeFAN
05-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Big Ben for sure.

JordansBulls
05-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Who is the one player that you've watched as they deteriorate and that sad feeling hits you when you watch them play at their old/injury ridden self.

For me, it's gotta be McGrady. I still saw a few flashes during the last couple of years in NY and Atlanta but his health just sapped him of everything that made him great.

This thread is pretty much for me as everyone knows my answer.

dikimbemutumbo
05-09-2012, 12:02 AM
Not so much worn down by injuries, but more by life. Eddy Curry. The guy had all the tools to be a top Center in the NBA and a HOFer. He really showed it in his last year with the bulls. Then his irregular heart beat, mental issues in NY, girlfriend and daughter being murdered, being tied up and having his house robbed. The guy couldnt catch a break and it wore him down. Could have been a great one. When in the lane and focused Curry was unstoppable on offense in 2005-2005, and even with the knicks in 2006-2007.

knicks4life33
05-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I saw a highlight of Vince Carter airballing a lay up. I agree with your post 100%. Steve Nash and Dirk too just to add.

What steve nash and dirk????? Steve nash led the league in assists this year and dirk is still putting up numbers and won the championship last year .

Il Mago50
05-09-2012, 12:33 AM
What steve nash and dirk????? Steve nash led the league in assists this year and dirk is still putting up numbers and won the championship last year .

Yeah I dont get that either, Drik arguably has never played better then the past couple years and Nash hasnt really changed much other then getting older because of the way he plays.

KB24Mamba
05-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Guys I think he meant in response to that Kobe comment

For me, will always be T-Mac. Loved his athleticism, injuries are a terrible, terrible thing

notables Vinsanity(Toronto days early Nets days), Allan Houston, Sprewell

msc43
05-09-2012, 03:09 AM
I'd probably have to go with Vince Carter. I remember when I was watching the dunk contests when he was with Toronto. I'll never forget the show he always put on. Now, he's lost almost all his explosiveness and he's got no lift anymore.

Honorable mentions:
Tracy McGrady
Jason Kidd
Baron Davis
Grant Hill

popo85
05-09-2012, 03:28 AM
Baron D, one of my faves UCLA all day!!

naps
05-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Shaq, Iverson, Duncan, Garnett, T-Mac, Vince in that order. I absolutely miss watching Shaq play :(

naps
05-09-2012, 04:00 AM
Oh, and I forgot about Gilbert Arenas. He was such a fun to watch. I still remember those big scoring nights. Can't believe it's already been 5/6 years...smh.

asmarks18
05-09-2012, 04:17 AM
McGrady
Arenas
Carter

PhillyFaninLA
05-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Grant Hill, Allen Iverson, and outside of the NBA Jim Thome.

Eagles710
05-09-2012, 06:39 AM
Allen Iverson... I MISS HIM WITH ALL MY HEART ... no homo lol
Duncan... Just not what he used to be
Shaq.... Sad to watch those final seasons
Francis... Is now a fat rapper lol, I was a BIG fan of this guy
C-webb... Knees :(
Bibby.... Just got old i guess?
T-Mac... Maybe the saddest of all :(
V-Carter... Is now the Nba's Ho , going from team to team .. smh
Agent-0 ... Nickname was hibachi, He is Probably going to be working there soon
Marbury... Who Knows what happend There ?
Jermaine O'neal... People dont know it, but he actually was a Beast at one point
Grant Hill.... Only Putting him here cause others had him there, actually could care less about Hill lol

^^^^^ All People i miss ^^^^^^

Vikingfan84
05-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Iverson
McGrady
Carter
B-Diddy
JO
KG
Bibby

That's all I can think of now.

MonroeFAN
05-09-2012, 06:58 AM
Eagles710;22118033 - How do people not know that Jermaine was a beast at one point ^?

tmacsc2
05-09-2012, 07:29 AM
T-Mac that is still my boi. I watched the whole Atlanta game today just to watch him play for 5 minutes

Bulls_fan90
05-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Not really over the Hill, but I love Ray Allen.

blacknell
05-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Shawn Kemp- Thats was my dude right there man I loved the Seattle Supersonics. I was the only person in my family who wasn't a chicago Bulls fan when MJ was playing. Drugs and McChicken burgers killed a future HOF career

hawkeyefootball
05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Homer pick - Ben Gordon, was great for the Bulls off the bench and hit countless big shots. Too bad he got overpaid and got a starters gig. Dude was a perfect bench scorer, but nothing more.

Non-homer pick - Greg Oden. Sure he was never good, but I've always wanted to see what he can do in the pros, but injuries have prevented that from happening.

YoungOne
05-09-2012, 09:31 AM
yao ming is definatly up there, too bad yao and tmac were never healthy at the same time...

OlivaThor
05-09-2012, 09:44 AM
Michael Redd and TMac

Heatcheck
05-09-2012, 10:50 AM

You aint lying, id kill to get a mcgrady heat jersey. In his prime, it was him and Kobe. He was little better offensively, and Kobe was much better defensively.

Heatcheck
05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
By the way, does anyone listen to Colin Cowheard?
He's always ragging on McGrady like he was this one dimensional, selfish, scorer who was good for stats but no winning. this always perplexed me because I remember McGrady as an all around offensive weapon, he could shoot, drive, pass, took good shots. the guy was just fragile and was always asked to so way too much.

dee279
05-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Yea VC is another

JayW_1023
05-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Brandon Roy would've been a top 5 shooting guard and winner if not for the injuries. Such a shame.

I would've love to have seen what Yao could've done with more health. There will never be a player like him.

Eagles710
05-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Eagles710;22118033 - How do people not know that Jermaine was a beast at one point ^?

Lot of casual fans here , any REAL nba fan would know that he was, but the casual fan would not , he was not good for that long ya know

C_Mund
05-10-2012, 12:47 AM
this.

b diddy was a joy to watch. im gonna miss him.

Big time. That Charlotte team with Davis, Mashburn, PJ Brown, Elden Campbell, West....one of my favorite teams to watch.
The OP mentioned McGrady and I can't help but imagine the kind of career he'd have had if he put more work in at the yoga studio.
.....and Grant Hill. He's still contributing at a decent clip but he's a shadow's shadow of what he should have been.

C_Mund
05-10-2012, 12:49 AM
He's always ragging on McGrady like he was this one dimensional, selfish, scorer who was good for stats but no winning. this always perplexed me because I remember McGrady as an all around offensive weapon, he could shoot, drive, pass, took good shots. the guy was just fragile and was always asked to so way too much.

I can't stand that loser. He's one of those guys that tries to make his opinions based on jokes (even though he's entirely unfunny) and trends. I disagree with almost everything he says.

The Final Boss
05-10-2012, 01:03 AM

This lazy bum doesn't even give 100% on Mother's Day, what makes you think he give 100% on the court? This clown is a renowned quitter. Always has been. Always will be.

The Final Boss
05-10-2012, 01:04 AM

lol You listen to Colin Cowherd.

C_Mund
05-10-2012, 01:20 AM
Yep Tmac, Baron, AI, Steve Francis, Allan Houston, Larry Johnson are the ones I can think of since I've been watching basketball but number 1 for me has to be Sprewell. IDK wtf he was thinking pulling the "i need to feed my kids" line.

Yep. Got himself blackballed in a hurry. Too bad cuz he still had some really good bball left in him

C_Mund
05-10-2012, 01:26 AM
This lazy bum doesn't even give 100% on Mother's Day, what makes you think he give 100% on the court? This clown is a renowned quitter. Always has been. Always will be.

So is Vince and they're two of the most mentioned names in the thread. Fun to watch doesn't always mean easy to like. It's funny cuz I've always had a soft spot for Davis but can't stand Carter

Raph12
05-10-2012, 01:46 AM
Anyone drafted in the 90s (Kobe and Duncan included)...

Monta is beast
05-10-2012, 03:04 AM
1. Baron Davis
2. Allen Iverson
3. T-Mac
4. Biedrins :laugh:
5. Carter

GodIsLove
05-10-2012, 03:05 AM
Antonie Walker at his peak with Boston at 24 years old averaged 23.4ppg, 5.5ast, 8.9reb. By the time he was 29 and with Miami he was toast. At age 31 he played less than 50 games with Minnesota and has been out of the league ever since. I never saw anyone age harder or faster without any major injuries than Antoine. Mike Bibby's game deteriorated quickly as well.

I still miss the real Shaq 92-05(even his last championship with Miami was rough to watch)

Cfrey
05-10-2012, 03:16 AM
wow i only saw iverson twice on the first page.. thats surprising.. bummed he isn't still ballin

Deception
05-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Ben Wallace, great defender, brought energy and played with heart night in and night out.

TmacBryant
05-10-2012, 03:32 AM
other than kobe/T-Mac/AI

I feel really bad for Brandon Roy

NYKnicks4511
05-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Stevie Franchise, Starbury, Larry Hughes

TmacBryant
05-10-2012, 04:45 AM
Stevie Franchise, Starbury, Larry Hughes

Forgot to mention Greg Oden, its not his injuries but his old age that makes him so bad.

LakersIn5
05-10-2012, 06:55 AM
tmac. whenever i check the boxscore of hawks games i

JayW_1023
05-10-2012, 07:17 AM
By the way, Brandon Roy is his best and most healthy season was better than Vince Carter ever was.