PDA

View Full Version : Is Luol Deng overrated? Serious question

LTBaByyy
05-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Shouldn't an All star still be able to get his team over an 8 seed?

Seems just like a glue guy. This was the perfect time to take over for him.

Cubby
05-08-2012, 08:25 PM
He's not really a star. If anything, he deserved to make it last year. This year, I don't know.

Chronz
05-08-2012, 08:28 PM
No, an All-Star doesnt automatically determine a teams destiny. Besides hes hurt and hes missing 2 of his most important teammates. Oh and the team hes playing isnt exactly chopped liver, they are an elite defensive team in their own right.

justinnum1
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
shooting 41% this year...

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
No, an All-Star doesnt automatically determine a teams destiny. Besides hes hurt and hes missing 2 of his most important teammates. Oh and the team hes playing isnt exactly chopped liver, they are an elite defensive team in their own right.

Pretty much all of this

shooting 41% this year...

With a torn ligament in his hand. Nice

mvb815
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
at 100% he is a well deserving all star

Cubsfan365
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
You guys realize he has played pretty much the whole season with a torn ligament in his wrist, right? The guy needs surgery to repair it, and has been a warrior playing for us and now people want to call him overrated?

D-Leethal
05-08-2012, 08:37 PM
Hes an all star for his intangibles. Guys like Deng can't carry a team. He can't create his own offense he can't carry an offensive load. He needs to be set up like everyone else on that team needs to be set up minus Rose.

I am not saying hes not a great player or deserving all star (although guys with Dengs skills don't translate to all star basketball games and he can't really hang in that game), but what makes him an all star isn't something that is going to help replace the offense you lose with Rose, hes only an allstar for his ability to play off Rose.

I do give him a shitload of credit for playing with his torn ligament all season and hes the type of guy who would be a favorite of mine if he played on my team.

justinnum1
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Pretty much all of this

non shooting hand...

Jays Claw
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I actually think he's one of the most underrated players in this league. Deng though not a superstar, is a very good player on both sides of the floor with great basketball IQ. I'm not sure if you think he's the Bulls go-to guy or something because he's not. He never was the go-to guy (prior to Rose's arrival, Deng had Ben Gordon). Can't blame the guy for missing his facilitator in these playoffs.

justinnum1
05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
he's a good 3rd-4th option.

bholly
05-08-2012, 08:42 PM

This is pretty dumb. You know there's an All Star on the Sixers, right? And plenty of All Stars have been on non playoff teams (Aldridge, Love, Nash, Williams this year alone) - if they're All Stars shouldn't they be able to get their team ahead of the #8 in the standings?

Deng's injured and playing on a team that has been completely changed twice in the last 10 days. You can't discredit him for not winning a playoff series in those circumstances.

koreancabbage
05-08-2012, 08:44 PM
he's def a guy to have on a good team. he's not the 2nd option but he'll do all the stuff the 3rd option should do like hustle, defense etc.

He's been pretty good as of late, but he's not going to carry Chicago to the promise land.

using that all-star nonsense is BS, he's a good player but he ain't leading any team to the promise land. Not all stars are superstars but all superstars are all-stars.

kozelkid
05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
non shooting hand...

I forgot that NBA players play one handed.

meloman1592
05-08-2012, 08:55 PM
he's a bonafide glue guy, not all star

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 08:57 PM
non shooting hand...

You must not play much basketball

justinnum1
05-08-2012, 08:58 PM
shooting about 35% not including attempts at the rim, good glue guy, good 3rd-4th option.

bbcmillionaire
05-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Lol ok let's judge hurt players, hmm I think Derrick rose is the worst pg, and Dwight isn't the best center in the NBA.

SeoulBeatz
05-08-2012, 09:03 PM
Deng is rated just fine. He is like Iggy in a sense where his value is measured on both ends of the floor. He doesn't usually take over games offensively though (as with Iggy), he's just not that type of player.

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 09:10 PM
shooting about 35% not including attempts at the rim, good glue guy, good 3rd-4th option.

Ah okay, so let's disregard at rims shots, because? Those suddenly don't count now? Seems pretty convenient, especially when 3-point shots and at rims shots make up the highest percentages of his attempts.

And you're still looking at a season where's he's played with a torn ligament. I don't want to hear any BS about what hand it is. Anyone who knows about basketball knows both hands play a part in shooting and all around game.

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Deng is rated just fine. He is like Iggy in a sense where his value is measured on both ends of the floor. He doesn't usually take over games offensively though (as with Iggy), he's just not that type of player.

I can agree with that

GoPacers33
05-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Yes I've been thinking this for a while now and I know that the Bulls played good without Rose but I always thought that Rose was almost all of their offense. They are a great team with Rose and a ok team without him

Il Mago50
05-08-2012, 09:15 PM
One of the more underrated guys in the league actually.

2-ONE-5
05-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Iggy's defense is just that good on the wing

kjoke
05-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Why are we now using the hand thing as an excuse? It was never brought up before, now that he plays bad people bring it up?

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 09:24 PM
Why are we now using the hand thing as an excuse? It was never brought up before, now that he plays bad people bring it up?

What are you even talking about? He's played subpar all season with that.

bbcmillionaire
05-08-2012, 09:25 PM
No excuse he's just a slasher with a bum left wrist,

chi-time23
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
non shooting hand...

Obviously you don't play sports.

lakerboy
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Deng is a glue guy for sure, and besides, having all stars doesn't mean anything. Look at the Knicks egos like Amare and Carmelo. They are the 7th seed for christsake

MrfadeawayJB
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I didnt know people rated this guy so highly. I always thought he had good skills and was a top 10 sf, but he is not the type of guy that will ever be a #1 option. Deng has always been a solid third option and decent second option on a championship contender

SluggeR
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
He's seriously overrated. Deng and the Sixers current A.I. are two of the least deserving All-Stars I have seen in a while.

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 09:32 PM
I didnt know people rated this guy so highly. I always thought he had good skills and was a top 10 sf, but he is not the type of guy that will ever be a #1 option. Deng has always been a solid third option and decent second option on a championship contender

But who has ever rated him as a #1 option?

I can't say that I've ever seen that, at least not seriously.

IceMan360
05-08-2012, 09:33 PM
non shooting hand...

WTF???? Lmao

One of the more underrated guys in the league actually.

This!!!

i think deng is very good player on both sides of the ball, very similar to iggy just without the hype

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM

Deng's non-shooting hand. Kobe had it on his actual shooting hand.

blastmasta26
05-08-2012, 09:37 PM
non shooting hand...

Talk about grasping for straws. Injuring your non-shooting hand throws off your shot, you have to support the ball with your off hand to properly aim your shot. You have shot a basketball before right? And of course he's only going to shoot 35% taking away attempts at the rim, he's injured. But that stat alone is very misleading, because taking away attempts at the rim is pointless, it's a part of his game.

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 09:40 PM

See one of many posts in this thread about it

And Deng is not Kobe.

Sactown
05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Overrated by bulls fans underrated by Heat fans and everyone else has a pretty accurate rating

LTBaByyy
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Overrated by bulls fans underrated by Heat fans and everyone else has a pretty accurate rating

Hahaha nice

kozelkid
05-08-2012, 09:56 PM

Not sure if serious...

kozelkid
05-08-2012, 09:58 PM
He's seriously overrated. Deng and the Sixers current A.I. are two of the least deserving All-Stars I have seen in a while.

I know, right? Who gives a **** about defense.

Talk about grasping for straws. Injuring your non-shooting hand throws off your shot, you have to support the ball with your off hand to properly aim your shot. You have shot a basketball before right? And of course he's only going to shoot 35% taking away attempts at the rim, he's injured. But that stat alone is very misleading, because taking away attempts at the rim is pointless, it's a part of his game.

Not to mention his attempts near the rim plummeted and he forced to take purely the role of spreading the floor. He lost one of his biggest strengths which was being a slasher.

Obviously he could still do it, but not nearly effective.

kozelkid
05-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Sums both players up to the tee.

Certainly now, no one considers Deng anything close to a #1 guy and I think very few seriously thought he was that even after his great series against Miami in 06-07.

Everything else, I agree with. He's typically inbetween a #2 to a #3 option with terrific defense and rebounding, underrated floor spacer and underrated passer.

For people who actually view him as a #4 option, let me just say that you would have a pretty ridiculous team if Deng is your 4th option.

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 10:03 PM
Stop with your logic, koolkid

TeamSeattle
05-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I personally think Chicago doesn't go to Deng enough in their offensive sets. He needs to be set up in the post more if his shooting has been affected that much by his injury.

kingbrentg
05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
I personally think Chicago doesn't go to Deng enough in their offensive sets. He needs to be set up in the post more if his shooting has been affected that much by his injury.

That's the thing though, I think those facets of his game and his ballhandling have been effected even more by the injury. It's pretty clear with how he's shied away from a lot of his interior work and has been losing his dribble far more easily.

I don't disagree though, he has seemingly gotten lost in the shuffle a lot lately.

kozelkid
05-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Stop with your logic, koolkid

;)

Two issues.

1) We tried Deng in the post back when he was hyped up after that 06-07 season. Overall, he doesn't have a good enough go-to post game. He fades away from the spot way too often which results in a much more difficult shot. He still does it from time to time if he has a mismatch, but nonetheless, he isn't very good in the post.

2) With his injury, he avoided contact more, i.e. less shots near the paint which would result in more contact. He had to, given the constant pain it would result in. Hence, for the most part, he became a glorified floor spacer for many of the games.

Hustla23
05-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Of course he's overrated. It's freaking Luol Deng.

He plays good defense and can hit an open three. There's plenty of people in this league who can do that and would flourish tremendously in the Bulls system.

Kyben36
05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
he is no all star type player who goes out and scores, but he is a very good player. defensivly and being a shooter for rose I think he is great, Think he is a 3rd option though.

Swashcuff
05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
This is pretty dumb. You know there's an All Star on the Sixers, right? And plenty of All Stars have been on non playoff teams (Aldridge, Love, Nash, Williams this year alone) - if they're All Stars shouldn't they be able to get their team ahead of the #8 in the standings?

Deng's injured and playing on a team that has been completely changed twice in the last 10 days. You can't discredit him for not winning a playoff series in those circumstances.

This.

The OP's logic is so flawed its beyond funny.

Shouldn't a league MVP and a top 25 player of all time in the prime of his career be able to get his team over an 8th seed? Dirk wasn't able to do that? :rolleyes:

Swashcuff
05-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Of course he's overrated. It's freaking Luol Deng.

He plays good defense and can hit an open three. There's plenty of people in this league who can do that and would flourish tremendously in the Bulls system.

You know Deng has flourished before this new system came into place right?

JasonJohnHorn
05-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Deng is a competent offensive player who is strong on defence. That's how most people rate him and I think it is fair.

Cubsfan365
05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Deng has been dominant tonight. 24 points and 8 rebounds on 53% shooting.

Pierzynski4Prez
05-09-2012, 12:02 AM
You must not play much basketball

lol I don't think that kid has seen the sun since july 2010

thekmp211
05-09-2012, 12:13 AM
not really, i don't think he's ever been that guy. bulls lost too much firepower and the 6ers aren't your average 8 seed. he might have become slightly overrated this season, along with everyone else on the bulls not named derrick rose because of their record. still i think he's pretty well rated, a good but not great starter.

cubbies7177
05-09-2012, 12:32 AM

+1

I don't think Deng's All-Star bid was his claim to fame. I think it was just recognition for his all around play (Normal Season: Fg=46%, 3PT=35%, 16pts) and his glue defense, which has given us one of the top defenses in the league.

Deng and Iggy are very similar. People thought they could be potential #1 options earlier in their careers, but they have developed into solid "overall" players that can be a great #3 offensive option, given their defensive abilities.

kjoke
05-09-2012, 12:40 AM
What are you even talking about? He's played subpar all season with that.

:laugh2: I haven't watched the bulls in the regualr season that much, and I just had this notion that he was playing ok. (Being an all-star and all). My bad.

LGhost
05-09-2012, 01:06 AM
If someone has to put "serious question" in their title, they aren't very serious at all

rcxa
05-09-2012, 01:16 AM
Nice I see what you did here

LGhost
05-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Nice I see what you did here

lol such a light poster

hawkeyefootball
05-09-2012, 01:22 AM
I forgot that NBA players play one handed.

:laugh2:

Procision
05-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Can't compare other players to kobe lol. What he does is just special.

Kuya_Clive
05-09-2012, 01:59 AM

Kobe is a first ballot hall of famer, easy. Comparing one's ability to play through an injury against Kobe's is pretty unfair.

MOST
05-09-2012, 05:34 AM
If Deng is not a all star neither is iggy

effen5
05-09-2012, 08:44 AM
First Derrick rose is overrated and one of the most underrated players in the league is overrated... Oh psd

effen5
05-09-2012, 08:47 AM
Btw without deng on the floor this year our defense looked like absolute trash. It's unbelievable how much deng means to this team on defense

mjm07
05-09-2012, 11:16 AM

When healthy, IMO, he's an All-Star. I can understand why some pple might think he's overrated b/c of his nagging injuries but when healthy he's a top 4-5 All around SF in the NBA.

kozelkid
05-09-2012, 12:44 PM
:laugh2: I haven't watched the bulls in the regualr season that much, and I just had this notion that he was playing ok. (Being an all-star and all). My bad.

It doesn't take that much effort to simply look up his stats and see that he has his lowest ts% and o-rating aside from his rookie year.

As far as being an allstar, many would argue he was far more deserving last season than this season. With that said, the impact he still provides on defense and some of his offense (even mitigated with the injury), gave him a strong case. That and the Bulls having the best record.

mRc08
05-09-2012, 12:53 PM
He's not overrated.

1. He's hurt which has been discussed.

2. He is a player that doesn't need the ball to score. He slashes, posts, and moves well without the ball. Most of his points come from passes. With rose out, he is looking to create more, which has lead him to the lower fg percentage.

As much as many of you are quick to call him a third or fourth option, you have to consider his playing style. There are not many players that can put up his kind of numbers without being the primary ball handler. He is the perfect fit for anyteam that has someone who bring up the ball. Imagine him on the heat or knicks, he would be playing great defense, not have to carry the team, move around and slash, hit threes, etc. Basically, if he doesn't need to be the first scoring option and ball handler, he thrives. He would make any team better, and just because he doesn't fit the mold of "isolation allstar player" doesn't mean he isn't worthy of being an allstar.