PDA

View Full Version : Would You be Against Giving Out Technicals for Flopping?

J4KOP99
05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Or is too subjective a call to give someone a technical foul?

What about a warning system like they do for a delay of game? First flop, you get a warning, second flop, get a T. Third, you would obviously get another T and automatically tossed.

Is that too harsh? Hockey and soccer both give their referee's some responsibility to call "flopping" or embellishment. Should the NBA do the same? If yes, how so?

mvb815
05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
NO, if you would rather flop then play basketball you should get penalized

Chronz
05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
I would only be ok with it if they allowed coaches to throw red flags on the court whenever the refs miss a blatant call.

EYDI819
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
or just ignore them and let them get hit for real and bring back the 80's and 90's

Hawkeye15
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
sure, why not.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Yes, I'm down.

Hellcrooner
05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Define Flopping.

I mean sometimes is obvious, like this play the other day with Danilo and Pau.

But other times, i mean if you are a thin dude and are being charged by say Andrew Bynum or Perkins its only logical that your gonna end up flying away into the floor.

Vincent
05-08-2012, 01:19 PM
I rather they just no-call the flop when they see it, or a foul on the flopping player that drew contact. Technicals are too swingy of a call for something that is pretty much a close call for the most part.

J4KOP99
05-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Define Flopping.

I mean sometimes is obvious, like this play the other day with Danilo and Pau.

But other times, i mean if you are a thin dude and are being charged by say Andrew Bynum or Perkins its only logical that your gonna end up flying away into the floor.

That's my point, Crooner. Is flopping too subjective a call to give out a technical for?

THE MTL
05-08-2012, 01:38 PM
If someone flops just DONT call the foul. It makes the player look like a fool.

But I think the main problem is the flopping on the offensive end. Player's exaggerate the contact so much they deserve Oscars lol.

They need to chance the rules over the offseason. 9 times out of 10 the call goes for the offensive player. It is too hard to play defense without things going against you.

Gram
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Longhornfan1234 flops all over the NBA forum.

beasted86
05-08-2012, 01:42 PM
It would only add something else for fans to complain about when the refs get it wrong.

I say the refs have enough to worry about and should just focus on calling the game better with the rules as is.

If anything the NBA could review plays and fine guys for excessive flopping.

Hellcrooner
05-08-2012, 01:44 PM
the one thing that needs fixing is eliminating the ****ing star calls.

Sadds The Gr8
05-08-2012, 01:46 PM

agree. everybody should get the same ****in calls...rules are rules and they shouldn't be skewed in favor of the better players.

topdog
05-08-2012, 01:47 PM
I'd say you should start with fining players and then look at technicals if it continues to be a problem. I could see this becoming a legal issue though unless it gets written into the CBA.

Teeboy1487
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM

I agree. It ruins the integrity of the game imo.

J4KOP99
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I don't know if fining them is the right answer because some of these flops can drastically change a game.

Foul trouble, momentum swings, the obvious advantage of getting fouled...

J4KOP99
05-08-2012, 01:50 PM

How do you go about doing that though? Much harder and even more subjective than calling flops.

BK-TY
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
It would only add something else for fans to complain about when the refs get it wrong.

I say the refs have enough to worry about and should just focus on calling the game better with the rules as is.

If anything the NBA could review plays and fine guys for excessive flopping.

THIS^^

I think that teams should be able to file some type of grievance with the league after games to have certain fouls reviewed. If it's determined that the player flopped then they would get a technical. After 3 flopping technicals a player should be suspended for a game. And the suspensions should be increased an extra game for every 3 flopping techs after that. ex... 1 game for first suspension, 2 games for second suspension, 3 games for the next and so on.

But putting that responsibility on the refs in game is too much.

The only problem then would be to define what constitutes as flopping.

SugeKnight
05-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Flops should be no calls and they should review it after a game then fine them if it was a blatant flop

Hellcrooner
05-08-2012, 02:01 PM
How do you go about doing that though? Much harder and even more subjective than calling flops.

Not really.

Fiba refs do it that way.

Ask yourself a question; when was the last time you saw a "franchise" player be out of a game with 6 fouls ( in regulation).

It barely ever happens :rolleyes: in sterns commands " is bad for the game, people pay to watch stars".....

MrfadeawayJB
05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
I wish they would Tech people up. It would have to go to a board of review with former NBA players though or something along those lines

whitvalid
05-08-2012, 02:33 PM
Two paths:

1) Return it to the no-contact sport it originated as
2) Call nothing. Absolutely nothing.

pacofunk64
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
It would be tough to make a real time call on flopping. I mean sometimes they are obvious but most of the time we have the best seat in being able to watch it on TV with great angles. The refs have so much going on that I just don't think they need to worry about that.

The only think I could think of is a point system. During the game an NBA official can mark certain fouls as questionable. Those could then be reviewed after the game and then if it is deemed a legit flop then they get 1 point. Pretty much like the technical system. Where they get so many points & they get a 1 game suspension.

5 points = 1 game
10 points = 3 games
15 points = 7 games
20 points = 10 games

IDK just throwing it out there.

t_money25
05-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I think it's way too subjective to call flops in a NBA game. It's too difficult to tell whether a player is in pain or not. Calling techs for this is only gonna cause more problems.

I think the real problem here is NBA officiating as a whole. NBA officials are the worst in all of the major sports by far.

sep11ie
05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
It's ruining the game. Thanks Shane Battier and Chuck Hayes.

RaiderLakersA's
05-08-2012, 03:17 PM
The problem with officiating is that far too much is left to the ref's judgment. We've all seen how terribly inconsistent they are in that respect.

So no, I don't want any more rule changes that invite the refs making a subjective decision.

arkanian215
05-08-2012, 03:25 PM
0a

da ThRONe
05-08-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm against it mostly because like some have already said there's no need to. The game is slowed down enough already with the bad calls and flopping. If the ref thinks it's a flop just don't call it. The refs foul calling techinques are flawed. There's way too much "wait and see" in officiating. Refs need to make their judgement based solely off what they see at the point of contact(provide that there is any contact). If you don't see any or not enough to warrant a foul than no foul.

Chronz
05-08-2012, 03:42 PM
To get rid of flopping you have to solve the core issue, the blatant non-calls. Do you think players would feel the need to flop if their coaches could throw out a red flag on calls they should have gotten?

KnicksFan4Years
05-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Really, the teams that feel another team "flopped" should send a video to the league who reviews and if it finds the player flopped should fine the player heavily.

Like 10K per flop. So someone like Wade or Paul that flops a lot could lose over half a million dollars during the course of the season. And you can bet the low pay guys won't flop at all because they can't afford it.

justjames
05-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Too hard to officiate during the game.

Just have crews watch replays and hand out massive fines post game. Have each fine count towards your technical foul count and then get suspended when you go over the limit.

Boom. I fixed flopping.

Corey
05-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Sure.

Bring back hand checking too. Wings have it too easy.

J4KOP99
05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
Sure.

Forget just wing players... Ball handlers in general.

Billy Bounce
05-08-2012, 04:46 PM
IMO technicals are too harsh .

A non call on flop is the best response.

mvb815
05-08-2012, 05:21 PM
I would only be ok with it if they allowed coaches to throw red flags on the court whenever the refs miss a blatant call. i think this is the best idea possible. coaches getting 2 challenges a game where refs can go to instant replay and see if there was contact, if it looks like a flop call a tech, if the team challenging is obviously wrong they get a tech. it'll mostly be players telling their coaches to make the challenges, but that's good enough to slowly get rid of flopping.

of course the rule would have to be polished more, maybe 2 flop techs gets your coach ejected.

gaughan333
05-08-2012, 05:31 PM
After a game, if someone thinks there is a flop, send it for review. If you flop, you are suspended a game. Making a harsh punishment like that will discourage the playeres from doing it. The issue with all of this is that you most likely would have to get the players association to agree to it, which they wont. The NBA has become a joke, and most likely will stay that way.

I would also like to see all of these players that whine to get punished as well. Watching the clippers game last night just made me sad to see what the NBA has become.

Lo Porto
05-08-2012, 05:45 PM
The NBA should review every game for flopping after it is finished. If they see that a player flopped with no contact, grabbed his face when his face wasn't touched, extremely overexagerated to minor contact, etc., then the NBA should assess that player with a technical. If the NBA was to make their technical accumulation rule a little stricter (such as after 5 technicals you have to sit out the next game), players will stop flopping.

It's that easy.

kenzo400
05-08-2012, 05:50 PM
If the refs can randomly give players technicals for swearing at them, but then clearly ignoring that same behavior at other times then i see no reason why they shouldn't give technicals for perceived flopping.

MickeyMgl
05-08-2012, 05:56 PM
It's too hard for them to recognize flopping in real time, and floppers should be punished even - especially - when they get the call. The only effective thing to do is to punish them after the league gets a chance to do a video review, and by then the punishment needs to be harsh, like a fine or a suspension.

MickeyMgl
05-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Sure.

The zone offsets that.

Chronz
05-08-2012, 06:17 PM
i think this is the best idea possible. coaches getting 2 challenges a game where refs can go to instant replay and see if there was contact, if it looks like a flop call a tech, if the team challenging is obviously wrong they get a tech. it'll mostly be players telling their coaches to make the challenges, but that's good enough to slowly get rid of flopping.

of course the rule would have to be polished more, maybe 2 flop techs gets your coach ejected.
I was thinking of giving them 2 challenges but if they have a 100% success rate on those challenges that they dont lose them. Otherwise coaches would just save it for the end and the bad reffing wouldnt be fixed.

Chronz
05-08-2012, 06:20 PM
They exist because stars have earned the benefit of the doubt, after reviewing missed calls refs get a handle on which players have a gripe. FIBA doesnt have stars like the NBA so plz dont compare the 2

Chronz
05-08-2012, 06:21 PM
Not really.

Fiba refs do it that way.

Ask yourself a question; when was the last time you saw a "franchise" player be out of a game with 6 fouls ( in regulation).

It barely ever happens :rolleyes: in sterns commands " is bad for the game, people pay to watch stars".....
FIBA refs do what now?

Longhornfan1234
05-08-2012, 06:32 PM
nm.

Mr. Upset
05-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Then they need to bring back hand checking and settle this ***** down.

Hellcrooner
05-08-2012, 07:06 PM
They exist because stars have earned the benefit of the doubt, after reviewing missed calls refs get a handle on which players have a gripe. FIBA doesnt have stars like the NBA so plz dont compare the 2
o , there are "stars" you know? even in teh land of the blind the one eyed dude is king.
there is always that one or two dudes in each team that are the "stars" but they dont get the calls they get in nba.

and that focusing on CLub basket.

National teams, have their dirks, paus, parkers and manu you know?

and they DONT get the calls.

You only have to check the stats against each other of Dirk vs Pau in nba games and compare them to their stats against each other in fiba game ( their direct face to face stats, not team stats, obviously spain > germany)

guess why he NEVER torches him in fiba.:rolleyes:

Soonerule
05-08-2012, 07:47 PM
THIS^^

I think that teams should be able to file some type of grievance with the league after games to have certain fouls reviewed. If it's determined that the player flopped then they would get a technical. After 3 flopping technicals a player should be suspended for a game. And the suspensions should be increased an extra game for every 3 flopping techs after that. ex... 1 game for first suspension, 2 games for second suspension, 3 games for the next and so on.

But putting that responsibility on the refs in game is too much.

The only problem then would be to define what constitutes as flopping.

I think you have hit one of the problems. Defining what is and is not a flop. My definition of a flop is when no contact whatsoever has occurred and some woos goes flying to the floor. Others think body parts should be severed before hitting the floor is justified.

It is my personal opinion that the league has brought the problem of flopping on itself. Inconsistencies in the way fouls are called has brought us to where we are today. There is the inconsistency that seems to come up whenever a star player is involved. Then there is the playoff vs regular season foul. The ticky-tack vs the letting them play foul. Refs using the whistle to control tempers. Horse ****, pardon my french, but a foul is a foul and the league will have to enforce some consistency in that area before they can address players attempting to politic for calls.

The next step would be defining a flop. To me, this is a flop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBxc-b6wlkY&feature=fvsr

but this does not:

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4637899512348815&id=99129a8c263c11c8320c905a0e5c2dba

or

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4820242340381710&id=0e82a38faab1a01cff8cf82d6f511173

If there is an actual foul, what a player does in reaction to it is his business. Going to the floor to try and get a call comes with its own risk because a player isn't much good to his teammates if the foul isn't called and play continues. BUT, if there is no foul and a player flops, then I think the league can and should institute a graduating penalty scale to discourage players from illegally attempting to influence a game. I would start with a couple of levels of fines that then lead to graduating levels of suspensions. The issue would go away pretty quick, but the league must first hold itself accountable and get much more consistent officiating games.