PDA

View Full Version : APL Shoes banned.

JesusWears24
05-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Im all about fair competition but how can the NBA rule that these shoes are unfair, when they are available to everyone. I think if NBA players wear these shoes, we would see better dunks and more athletic play.

http://factsnacks.blogspot.com/2010/10/shoes-reach-new-heights.html

mvb815
05-08-2012, 12:54 PM
i would love to see these in the nba, and i think it's totally fair. if you're not good enough to get your own shoe deal, well, here you go, wear these. i think it's good compinsation considering how much the people who wont be wearing these make off their shoe deals.

kjoke
05-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Wha do expect from nike and Adidas

JoeyDubb23
05-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Where can I buy them...

Edit: Just found the site. Only 175 for the new ones

Hellcrooner
05-08-2012, 01:16 PM
DOnt worry, when nike clones the system they will suddenly be allowed.

Its ridiculous, every player can buy them if they want, and unlike Doping it holds no bad effects on the player.

AceMan
05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
I hope we can at least see these during the dunk contest, could open up some awesome new possibilities.

Supa
05-08-2012, 02:27 PM
I wonder what the shoes will do to the knees ...

---

Raph12
05-08-2012, 02:50 PM
It should be legal for anyone with a vertical less than 30 inches... To level the playing field a bit.

Sactown
05-08-2012, 06:38 PM
It should be legal for anyone with a vertical less than 30 inches... To level the playing field a bit.

AKA all white players should be allowed to use these

Raph12
05-08-2012, 07:48 PM
AKA all white players should be allowed to use these

No pretty much all of the non-black players lol, I'm sure Hamed Haddadi would love to add 8 inches to his vertical. :D

bholly
05-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I'd prefer they be banned too. It isn't about unfair advantage over other players, it's about the idea that basketball should be 10 guys without artificial assistance. Pure athletic competition between humans. Same reason I want performance enhancing drugs and corked bats banned.

The 'it's fair because everyone can have them' argument is pretty dumb. That's like saying it'd be fair to lower the rim to 5 feet because it's the same for everyone. Sure, they're all playing under the same conditions, but it devalues the guys who can get there without any assistance, because now everyone can get there. An extra 3 inches is a way bigger advantage for a guy who was just short of dunking before, than it is for someone like Dwight or LeBron, and diminishes the value of their natural abilities.

I agree that for the NBA it's probably largely about the major sponsors too, but I think there are good reasons beyond that.

No thanks.

kubernetes
05-08-2012, 08:25 PM
You'd start seeing a lot of head injuries because guys would be hitting their heads on the board and rim. Can you imagine Griffin or Lebron adding 8 inches to their vertical? They'd have to wear helmets.

smith&wesson
05-08-2012, 08:33 PM
I'd prefer they be banned too. It isn't about unfair advantage over other players, it's about the idea that basketball should be 10 guys without artificial assistance. Pure athletic competition between humans. Same reason I want performance enhancing drugs and corked bats banned.

The 'it's fair because everyone can have them' argument is pretty dumb. That's like saying it'd be fair to lower the rim to 5 feet because it's the same for everyone. Sure, they're all playing under the same conditions, but it devalues the guys who can get there without any assistance, because now everyone can get there. An extra 3 inches is a way bigger advantage for a guy who was just short of dunking before, than it is for someone like Dwight or LeBron, and diminishes the value of their natural abilities.

I agree that for the NBA it's probably largely about the major sponsors too, but I think there are good reasons beyond that.

No thanks.

i agree with this

also its 3.5 inches for the average person. it can increase a pro ball players vertical by up to 8 inches. they would have to raise the rim at that point, which would mess with everyones shot.

Gnac76
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I own a pair of the new APL's. While I was doing a jumping program earlier this year I did a series of comparisons to see if these actually worked. The difference in leaping ability between my regular bball shoes (converse's) and the APL's was about 1 cm (not much). Now, granted I was testing them based on two legged jumping and not just one but i doubt that would make that substantial of a difference.

bholly
05-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I'd also be really interested to see if there's any additional injury risk from spring shoes.

KnicksR4Real
05-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Ya these things are fake. I bought them and they arguably made me worse. The shoes sucked. The grip was absolutely horrific.

TeamSeattle
05-08-2012, 09:50 PM
It'll be the first basketball shoe to sell out in upper class suburbs.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Just because everyone can wear them doesn't mean it should be legal. It still takes away from the integrity of the sport.

That's like saying everyone can take steroids in the MLB so it's "fair".

The Flash
05-08-2012, 09:59 PM
They should allow steroids,PCP and shoes that make you jump higher . How entertaining basketball would be