PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Steve Nash might join Raptors if he leaves Phoenix

Fresno
05-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Taken from Sam Smith's reports/blog.

All indications in Phoenix are the Suns will make Steve Nash a limited offer and he’ll move on. It makes sense as the Suns will have $23 million in salary cap room and they’ve gone as far as they can go. The Suns were always a player destination, and this will test whether they still are under the frugal Robert Sarver management. Many believe Nash instead of chasing a title with a contender for a lesser salary will go back to Canada and the Raptors for a three-year deal and help bring their young players along.
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/smith_120507.html

Assuming Toronto is able to get some sort of value for Calderon in a trade to help them at the SF or C position, I think Nash makes the Raptors a Playoff team.

Baller1
05-08-2012, 02:38 AM
Oh come on Nash... Go somewhere that you can fight for a ring. I want to see you deep in the playoffs.

justinnum1
05-08-2012, 02:39 AM
sam smith? dont even bother...

shep33
05-08-2012, 02:40 AM
Why?

*Superman*
05-08-2012, 02:47 AM
Lame.

5ass
05-08-2012, 02:50 AM
Nash going with the cash.

PocketKings
05-08-2012, 02:52 AM
To answer the OP: I never underestimate Nash's ability to elevate and raise the ability of his teammates. With that said, I believe he can potentially lead the Raptors team to a 7/8th seed POSSIBLY. It's about what they do in the draft and what other potential moves they make to complement signing Nash.

If we are talking about ONLY signing Nash, I say no.

Sadds The Gr8
05-08-2012, 02:55 AM
doubt he comes to Toronto. I think he'll most likely go to Dallas if Deron doesn't go there.

FarOutIos
05-08-2012, 02:56 AM
I think it would be nice to have a star...be it an aging one... go to Toronto. Being that he is from Canada... he would probably get the super-star treatment.

As for their team, he would be able to help their youth tremendously.

Raph12
05-08-2012, 04:40 AM
It would be nice for Raps fans; you get Nash to help maximize the young talents (top 5-10 pick2012+Valenciunas+Bargnani+DeRozan) on the team for the next two years or so, in hopes that by then, they'll be able to stand on their own.

Duncan = Donkey
05-08-2012, 05:04 AM
LOL. Id bet my Life savings on Nash not being a Raptor next year, Not going to happen.

Iron24th
05-08-2012, 05:06 AM
I would not see the point if he goes to the raptors.

I thought he wanted to chase a ring.

spreadeagle
05-08-2012, 05:07 AM
To answer the OP: I never underestimate Nash's ability to elevate and raise the ability of his teammates. With that said, I believe he can potentially lead the Raptors team to a 7/8th seed POSSIBLY. It's about what they do in the draft and what other potential moves they make to complement signing Nash.

If we are talking about ONLY signing Nash, I say no.

with having to take on the salaries of two top 10 rookies, Jonas and this yr's there would be little to no cap space to sign any one other than him. But they could free up 10 mil by Amnestying Calderon which they probably would do if they could get him

spreadeagle
05-08-2012, 05:09 AM
LOL. Id bet my Life savings on Nash not being a Raptor next year, Not going to happen.

There has been rumors of the ownership willing to give him a F.O job and even possibly buy into the team one day post playing days...he would be a HUGE STAR here as opposed to a second or third guy on a contender...but i dont know whats in the guys brain he may want a ring bad. Colangelo and Nash do have a good relationship could help him come back North...

SportsAndrew25
05-08-2012, 05:14 AM
Come on Nash. Do not go to stupid Toronto. Go to Miami and guarantee yourself getting an NBA Championship.

faridk89
05-08-2012, 05:43 AM
Come on Nash. Do not go to stupid Toronto. Go to Miami and guarantee yourself getting an NBA Championship.

everything that is wrong with the NBA is summed up with this post

AnthonyTyrael
05-08-2012, 05:46 AM
May be not everything but perhaps a lot.

spreadeagle
05-08-2012, 05:55 AM
the only contending teams looking for Pg's are Dallas n Miami..S.A has Parker Chi has Rose Bos has Rondo ect...Most likely D Will goes to Dallas, if not I could see Nash going there. Gets paid gets to play with Dirk and maybe someone else they sign, compete in the playoffs...if not then its Miami for what 5 mil a year or Toronto for prob a two year max deal....will be interesting to see what happens

IndyRealist
05-08-2012, 08:56 AM
the only contending teams looking for Pg's are Dallas n Miami..S.A has Parker Chi has Rose Bos has Rondo ect...Most likely D Will goes to Dallas, if not I could see Nash going there. Gets paid gets to play with Dirk and maybe someone else they sign, compete in the playoffs...if not then its Miami for what 5 mil a year or Toronto for prob a two year max deal....will be interesting to see what happens

George Hill is a RFA this summer. Indiana might go after him if Hill wants too miuch money.

CrasH-X
05-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Being a Suns fan, but loyal Raptors follower, I wouldn't be opposed to this at all .
Considering what he did with this years Suns, imagine what he could do with next years Raps !

JV
BARGS
Draft
DD
Nash
Vs
Gortat
Morris
Hill
Brown
???

Potential if Toronto pick up and/or trade for the right pieces this summer .

akesh99
05-08-2012, 09:32 AM
With a healthy Bargnani the Raps weren't too far off from a playoff spot. Insert Nash, Valanciunas and our lottery draft pick this year and on paper it would seem that we could challenge for the 7th or 8th spot. It'll be interesting to see what other moves BC can pull off but I'd love to have Nash in Raps jersey for the next 2-3 years.

deaner
05-08-2012, 10:40 AM
there is this long time rumour which give Nash to Toronto some legs. He has a very long relationship with a couple front office people. I expect the raptors to make a draft day deal which will prove to Nash the team wants to win. Think Rudy Gay or Josh Smith type draft day deal before July 1st.

the raps have plenty of young assets
no bad contracts
a lottery chance at Anthony Davis
up to 22M in cap space
a rookie pick and roll player that should be a stud
the full MLE
3 picks in the draft
ability to sign some bird rights players
trade to consolidate talent
a great coaching and upgraded medical staff
and can bid on amnestied players

the ownership is going to make a hard push to become competitive this year.

The details are sketchy right now but there is strong speculation swirling at the moment that Canada Basketball could be close to making a major announcement regarding its Men’s National Team. Steve Nash may be taking over as the “General Manger” of Team Canada. It would be a role similar to what Steve Yzerman (and, previously, Wayne Gretzky) has served for Hockey Canada. This move has been swirling in the rumor mill for weeks (if not months) and it is apparently closer than ever. FAN590

JasonJohnHorn
05-08-2012, 10:47 AM
I would like to see Nash finish his career in Canada, and I do believe that with last years' first round pick and this year's added to the team, they may have enough to get into the post season, but they certainly wouldnt be contenders. The best destination for Steve Nash is, and I hate to say this because I hate to see them win, Miami. NY might be a good fit to, and even the Lakers could really use Nash, but the most he's going to get out of any of them is the MLE. Given his play this past season, I see Nash playing at least three more years, in which case he can play with a contender for two years and then do his victory lap in a Raptors jersey to finish his career.

king4day
05-08-2012, 10:56 AM
If Nash leaves, the Suns should look to deal Gortat for a lottery pick and do what the Cavs did in absorbing bad contracts for high picks.

BranWingss
05-08-2012, 11:01 AM
We've been hearing this for years in Canada. I doubt he goes there.

Tmath
05-08-2012, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I don't see it happening.

Cal827
05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Yeah, I don't want to see this. The guy deserves an NBA title. We are still pretty far off from being actual contenders.

dalton749
05-08-2012, 11:26 AM
doesnt make toronto contenders but definitely a playoff team not just fighting for 8th

deaner
05-08-2012, 11:30 AM
If Nash leaves, the Suns should look to deal Gortat for a lottery pick and do what the Cavs did in absorbing bad contracts for high picks.

why not just deal with Toronto then.

S&T Nash and Gortat for

Jose Calderon (better PG than you are probably going to get and is expiring to deal at the trade deadline) Ed Davis (or #8), toronto's low #30pick, and 2M cash or Solomon Alabi

it works for both teams I think.

Lo Porto
05-08-2012, 11:32 AM
This is a great move if it happens. Nash would be able to elevate basketball in Canada like none other. And he's good enough to take that team to the playoffs and beyond if their young players develop. I hope this happens.

cdnsportsfan
05-08-2012, 12:19 PM
I previously said in another thread I want him to go to a contender but he could land on the Raps for a couple of reasons, and my two biggest points were that he has an existing relationship with Colangelo, and there would be a chance to move into management position on the only team in his home country afterwards. I saw Nash pegged for management absolutely.

Well as of Noon today he was officially named the GM of Canada's men's basketball program. Whether this makes it more or less likely for him to play in Canada is still unknown, but he is showing a commitment to his country.

Dwayne Casey is a pretty damn good coach, moved the Raps from last in Defence to 12th overall in one year working basically with scrubs - a lot of one year signings and at the end, 10-day contracts. He'll have two high draft picks coming next season and they're gonna get someone via free agency. While the Raps won't win any championships next season, the addition of Nash would ensure the playoffs imho. The Raps will have far more to work with than the Suns this past year, and they made a serious run for the postseason towards the end.

Heatcheck
05-08-2012, 12:49 PM

BET...dont be dissapointed when all you get from me is $20 dollars and a bent mickey mantle card.

Shaolin
05-08-2012, 01:14 PM
I previously said in another thread I want him to go to a contender but he could land on the Raps for a couple of reasons, and my two biggest points were that he has an existing relationship with Colangelo, and there would be a chance to move into management position on the only team in his home country afterwards. I saw Nash pegged for management absolutely.

Yeah - I still think there's a way better chance of him signing with a contender for the next couple of years. In my mind this is a move that may be meant to soften the blow of him not signing with Toronto with his arguably final opportunity.

That being said, if he did sign with Toronto he could have a different legacy, but not necessarily of less value than Championship winners. He would endear himself to a whole country, and it would be the cherry on the cake as far as becoming the face of Canadian basketball. And you know what? There's always the chance a team with Bargs, Nash and Valenciunas + extras could compete for a title, albeit a moderate to small chance.

Lakerhead4ever
05-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Where the hell is this guys mind! Your a freaking legend and deserve to fight for a title yet going to the raptors he's in the same predicament as as when he was with the suns! Wow smh at Nash, and I'm questioning he competitive spirit.

Guys In this league don't care to win anymore.

Hellcrooner
05-08-2012, 01:20 PM
would be a feel good story, but if was him i would join lakers, knicks or heat.

smith&wesson
05-08-2012, 01:22 PM
imo his best fit would be on the lakers.

nash
kobe
artest
gasol
bynum

kobe = aging star chasing ring, nash fits right in to that catagory.

THE MTL
05-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Steve Nash is no ring chaser if ppl havent figured that out yet. He isnt just going to hop on a team like for a championship (Heat).

And yes, if he can come within a game or two of making the playoffs in the West with Gortat. He'll definitely make the playoffs in the East with Derozan and Bargnani.

Personally, I think Nash should go to Atlanta. He can make them into a contender. Nash-Johnson-Smith-Teague-Horford.

Lake_Show2416
05-08-2012, 01:27 PM
why would a player with so many choices of teams want to go play for the Raptors? i know he's Canadian but couldnt he throw those years aways somewhere else trying to chase a ring that he deserves

Shaolin
05-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Where the hell is this guys mind! Your a freaking legend and deserve to fight for a title yet going to the raptors he's in the same predicament as as when he was with the suns! Wow smh at Nash, and I'm questioning he competitive spirit.

You have maximum 3 years left playing in the NBA. You can attempt to join a team that you think has a good chance of winning a championship - which isn't guaranteed by a long shot.

On the other hand, you can play for your home country and compete for a championship with worse odds, but you're guaranteed to become a National hero. There's also the low low chance of winning a championship, but if you do it would be one of the most memorable championship wins in recent history. In this scenario, every win carries far more weight if you win the finals.

bucketss
05-08-2012, 01:29 PM
Steve Nash is no ring chaser if ppl havent figured that out yet. He isnt just going to hop on a team like for a championship (Heat).

And yes, if he can come within a game or two of making the playoffs in the West with Gortat. He'll definitely make the playoffs in the East with Derozan and Bargnani.

Personally, I think Nash should go to Atlanta. He can make them into a contender. Nash-Johnson-Smith-Teague-Horford.

“I would listen,” Nash told the show. “(LeBron James is) phenomenal. I love what they’re doing there. A lot of people don’t like them because they put all that talent there. But they’re professional, they play hard, they play together. Their coaching staff has done a great job, so I have a tremendous amount of respect for them.

“I would definitely listen.”

“I’m not coming back to the Suns if there isn’t improvement,” Nash told Patrick. “I would definitely listen (if the Heat offered).”

personally i want him to come home but i also really want him to win a championship

DeyAce
05-08-2012, 01:38 PM
Come to Chicago

THE MTL
05-08-2012, 01:46 PM
“I would listen,” Nash told the show. “(LeBron James is) phenomenal. I love what they’re doing there. A lot of people don’t like them because they put all that talent there. But they’re professional, they play hard, they play together. Their coaching staff has done a great job, so I have a tremendous amount of respect for them.

“I would definitely listen.”

“I’m not coming back to the Suns if there isn’t improvement,” Nash told Patrick. “I would definitely listen (if the Heat offered).”

personally i want him to come home but i also really want him to win a championship

Nash is a professional. What do u think he would say? Umm...hell no I wouldnt join the Heat. Lebron isnt clutch.

He said he would listen. I mean Lebron James "listened" to the Clippers offer in 2010 summer, but they NEVER had a chance in signing him lol.

Nash is not a ring chaser. He is a competitive player who isnt going to hop on the killt squad.

Btw, if Nash ever did go to Miami. I hope you know they would win EVERY championship for the forseeable future lmao.

Matrix3132
05-08-2012, 01:47 PM

Does piggy backing on stacked teams show more competitive spirit?

bucketss
05-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Nash is a professional. What do u think he would say? Umm...hell no I wouldnt join the Heat. Lebron isnt clutch.

He said he would listen. I mean Lebron James "listened" to the Clippers offer in 2010 summer, but they NEVER had a chance in signing him lol.

Nash is not a ring chaser. He is a competitive player who isnt going to hop on the killt squad.

Btw, if Nash ever did go to Miami. I hope you know they would win EVERY championship for the forseeable future lmao.

how do you know this lol?

and i think nash has 2 years before he done.

stipe1280
05-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Prediction: Deron stays with the Nets and Nash heads to Dallas.

kobemelo
05-08-2012, 02:04 PM

lol I'm offended.. What makes Toronto stupid? :facepalm:

cdnsportsfan
05-08-2012, 02:07 PM
I agree Nash isn't chasing rings, which makes this all the more interesting. IF he signed with the Heat, Lakers, or Thunder he would have great odds at winning a championship. Other good fits would be the Mavs, Knicks, and yeah even the Hawks (though he's likely in Toronto well before Atlanta).

But you can't rule out Toronto, especially since he's now the GM of the Canadian men's team.The Raptors would make the playoffs with Nash so he would be on a competitive team, he's not relegating himself to obscurity if he did come to TO. But they'd still be a ways off from contending for a title.

Like many have said however he's a great player and I'd love to see him get a championship. As much as it would really help boost the Raps I'd have no problem with Nash signing with a current contender.

gotoHcarolina52
05-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Sam Smith :laugh:

Celtics33
05-08-2012, 02:53 PM
I read somewhere that Nash would only consider signing in Phoenix if their was going to be some major changes in the offseason, so I don't see why he would sign with Toronto. The team would be much more exciting to watch with nash and it would be interesting to see what he could do for Bargnani's and Derozan's game.

RaiderKid318
05-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Is that big *** C gonna play for them next year? If so this draft is deep and they got a solid pick. Idk why they couldn't be very good with those 3 additions. I would put them as a 4-6 seed tbh.

miller74
05-08-2012, 03:01 PM
This has no credibility, he was named GM of Team Canada today, but i just dont see it happening, especially if the Knicks or Heat come calling

miller74
05-08-2012, 03:03 PM

rapsjaysfan88
05-08-2012, 03:04 PM
new york isnt a contender in my opinion, he isnt getting paid if he piggy backs on la or miamis gravy train. if he goes to toronto he's going to get a max contract, more endorsement deals then he can handle and an eventual exec job. anyone who thinks thats not interesting is kidding themselves and he'd be on a good, young up and coming team 4 3 years.

2-ONE-5
05-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Nash on the Raptors is no better then the current Suns team and even in the East they would still only be fighting for a playoff spot

bucketss
05-08-2012, 03:12 PM
Nash on the Raptors is no better then the current Suns team and even in the East they would still only be fighting for a playoff spot

maybe he wants to come to end his career in Canada

miller74
05-08-2012, 03:12 PM
new york isnt a contender in my opinion, he isnt getting paid if he piggy backs on la or miamis gravy train. if he goes to toronto he's going to get a max contract, more endorsement deals then he can handle and an eventual exec job. anyone who thinks thats not interesting is kidding themselves and he'd be on a good, young up and coming team 4 3 years.

If the raptors give Nash a max contract they are a worse franchise than i think they are now.

deaner
05-08-2012, 03:29 PM

Not same predicament at all. Suns were cheap and wouldn't spend when Nash was asking them to. Toronto is now in aggressively adding pieces with ownership backing. Looks to me like there's a 3 year plan for contention.

deaner
05-08-2012, 03:33 PM
If the raptors give Nash a max contract they are a worse franchise than i think they are now.

they will not give a max deal... raptors don't currently have a bad contract on the books like many teams do... there's a reason for that.

rapsjaysfan88
05-08-2012, 03:34 PM

they got money 2 spend and no other free agents are coming to toronto, so not the worst idea to pay big for a 2 time mvp.

Vincent
05-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Sam Smith with a crazy Free Agent/Trade idea?

No......

spreadeagle
05-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Nash just named GM of Canadian national mens team...its all pointing to him coming back to Canada :)

spreadeagle
05-08-2012, 03:48 PM
Canada's biggest basketball star has been hired to head the country's men's national program.

Steve Nash was named general manager of Canada Basketball's senior men's team Tuesday.

The sport's national governing body has had the two-time NBA MVP from Victoria in its sights for some time to lead a program that hasn't made an Olympic appearance since the 2000 Games in Sydney.

Nash helped Canada to a seventh-place finish in Sydney, with Jay Triano as coach.

``This program has meant so much to me,'' Nash told an afternoon news conference at Air Canada Centre. ``I owe a lot of my development to the program and feel that the success I've had in my career is in large part due to my time with the national team.''

Despite his success as a pro, Nash says his fondest memories remain with Canadian teammates.

``Playing for Canada at the Olympics was the greatest experience of my career, bar-none,'' he said. ``It's no secret what this country means to me and to be a part of Canada Basketball again is a huge honour and pleasure.
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/94161-nash-named-gm-of-national-mens-basketball-team

spreadeagle
05-08-2012, 04:00 PM
why would a player with so many choices of teams want to go play for the Raptors? i know he's Canadian but couldnt he throw those years aways somewhere else trying to chase a ring that he deserves

People who dont live here probably dont get it, but the Jays have not got into the playoffs since they won 2 championships decades ago, the Leafs are ALWAYS bad and have not had any true great players "a Sidney Crosby type" in a really long time and the Raps have not been any good since Vince really besides one good year with Bosh. Steve would be the king of Canadian sports, if he could get the Raptors back to being relavent and in the playoffs it would be huge. He would be playing n front of sold out crowds chanting his name everynight...oh and make a ton of cash there too which never hurts

C_Mund
05-08-2012, 06:34 PM
I would not see the point if he goes to the raptors.

I thought he wanted to chase a ring.

He's gone on record more than one time saying the exact opposite. He wants to contribute. Whether that means playing in Toronto or going somewhere like Atlanta. I think he just wants to play big minutes as long as his body will allow then retire when he can't do it the way he always has

gilly
05-08-2012, 07:45 PM
This move makes a lot of sense for him.

New role as Team Canada GM makes it handy for him to be in Canada.

That Raps team COULD be good. How good could Nash make Derozan, Bargnani, Valenciunas? They could get a SF through the draft, Barnes/MKG would be perfect.

PG: Nash / Calderon
SG: Derozan / Bayless
SF: Barnes or MKG / Johnson
PF: Bargnani / Davis
C: Valenciunas / Johnson

That is a really solid team with good scorers. In the right defensive system they could be really good too. They could then draft Kabongo and have him learn under Nash and be the next big young Canadian PG :clap:

torocan
05-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Hrm, some interesting possibilities...

1) Sign Nash to 3 year + potential management deal
2) Trade Calderone for some support pieces (keep Bayless)
3) Use the rest of the cap to pick up some other strong support players
4) Sign D'Antoni as the offensive co-ordinator
5) Make some smart draft picks

Could be very, very dangerous....

Mr Costanza
05-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Nash just named GM of Canadian national mens team...its all pointing to him coming back to Canada :)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rgZezt_ADEY

;)

smith&wesson
05-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Hrm, some interesting possibilities...

1) Sign Nash to 3 year + potential management deal
2) Trade Calderone for some support pieces (keep Bayless)
3) Use the rest of the cap to pick up some other strong support players
4) Sign D'Antoni as the offensive co-ordinator5) Make some smart draft picks

Could be very, very dangerous....

we wont let go of d.casey. raps fans love the coach. dantoni can come as an offensive co-ordinator like you said but he will have to accept an assistant job.

NYKnicks4511
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
oh come on nash... I want to see you deep in me.

ftfy.

smith&wesson
05-08-2012, 08:16 PM

ill take that bet.

how much you got anyways ??

Mr Costanza
05-08-2012, 08:17 PM
Lol

Lakerhead4ever
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Does piggy backing on stacked teams show more competitive spirit?

I did not say that. But the raptors are not a good team. At best, their gonna look just like the suns did this year, and that's far fetched.

Don't put words in my mouth buddy

Lakerhead4ever
05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
You have maximum 3 years left playing in the NBA. You can attempt to join a team that you think has a good chance of winning a championship - which isn't guaranteed by a long shot.

On the other hand, you can play for your home country and compete for a championship with worse odds, but you're guaranteed to become a National hero. There's also the low low chance of winning a championship, but if you do it would be one of the most memorable championship wins in recent history. In this scenario, every win carries far more weight if you win the finals.

like I said I'm questioning his competitiveness.

Now if the raps can somehow get some good peices this off season that's different but the current roster stinks when talking playoffs

Jays Claw
05-08-2012, 08:32 PM
I still have my doubts on whether or not Nash signs in Toronto. Miami and L.A would be much better destinations (team wise) for him especially considering where he's at in his career. Don't get me wrong - I WOULD LOVE TO SEE NASH IN A RAPS JERSEY! But that seems very unlikely at the moment which is a shame for us Raptor fans.

Mr. Upset
05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Yes!

rapsjaysfan88
05-08-2012, 09:07 PM
i dont get the nash in miami, wade and lebron are ball dominant and cant shoot, so you'll add another ball dominant player. nash needs shooters and a big that excels in pick and roll. miami doesnt have that.

Broadwayjoe NY
05-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Absolutely love Nash, probably my favorite current non-knick...well, him or Rose. While I'm positive he could elevate the Raptors and make them a playoff team, I feel as though he deserves more. This is not a slight to the Raptors as they are a promising team, but I just personally believe he owes it to himself to go the place where he can have a legitimate chance to get a ring...seeing him go full circle to Dallas would actually be pretty interesting. Assuming of course they don't sign Dwill.

ManningToTyree
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
He can make the playoffs but he won't win a ring.

Mile High Champ
05-08-2012, 10:45 PM
I am starting to believe it is becoming more and more likely Nash ends up in Toronto. He was just named GM of Canada's Mens National Basketball team and plans to take an active role going forward in developing Canada's hoops talent. It would make perfect sense for him to end his career in Toronto and help usher in a new influx of talent into Canada's only team. People saying that there is no chance Nash ends up in Toronto, clearly have their head in the sand.

ryang
05-09-2012, 12:00 AM
i dont get the nash in miami, wade and lebron are ball dominant and cant shoot, so you'll add another ball dominant player. nash needs shooters and a big that excels in pick and roll. miami doesnt have that.

:facepalm: nash (if he can create the same as the nash of old) would make miami even better.. james and wade cant shoot?? I dont think nash comes here but you are wrong in every way..

dodie53
05-09-2012, 12:38 AM
no, no and no.

asmarks18
05-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Dallas, Miami, Orlando or he stays in Phoenix. Only logical destinations.

Huntey
05-09-2012, 05:15 AM

#1. a max contract for any 38 (39 next season btw) year old would be dumb. Plus Nash has said he'd be willing to take less money to play for a contender #2. Again, I think he's making enough money, has enough endorsments to not worry about more.
#3. No body knows Nash would get an execs job from the Raptors. Nash has also said that he doesn't necesserily want to be a coach or team Exec when he retires from basketball. He owns a film production company that he has said he'd like to move on to.

I'm a Suns fan so I'm bias BUT I don't see why Nash would leave a team because they weren't contenders and move to another team that are arguably worse. IMO if the Suns and Raptors want to keep Nash then they're really going to have to make a splash in the draft and free agency to even get a look. If not, he's gone to the OKC or Heat. He's going to the place that gives him the best chance to win.

Ebbs
05-09-2012, 06:26 AM
I'd be sad if Nash never got one. It was nice to see The Glove, and Kidd finish their careers at the top.

FriedTofuz
05-09-2012, 08:41 AM
I'd love to see nash in Toronto. If the raptors can get a small forward, they'd be set to compeat in the east.

gwrighter
05-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Is that big *** C gonna play for them next year? If so this draft is deep and they got a solid pick. Idk why they couldn't be very good with those 3 additions. I would put them as a 4-6 seed tbh.

This.
Valanciunas is coming over next season. With Nash and a few other key additions the Raptors could be a solid team next season.

Nash
Derozan
SF(Draft, FA or trade) Batum?, Crash?, H. Barnes?, MKG?, Jeff Green?
Bargnani
Valanciunas

KnicksorBust
05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
If he joins the Raptors you can't blame him. From a professional standpoint it will help sustain his post-playing career. It's just unfortunate because even with him, you can't imagine that team making a deep run in the playoffs and we all like Nash so we selfishly want him to be like us, and find a way on to a contender so we can see Nash in the Finals.

For entertainment value, I'd love him in Orlando but that seems like a long shot.

THE GIPPER
05-09-2012, 10:11 AM
No chance of this happening.

And I'm not trying to smash Toronto when I say this but for someone from BC, going to Toronto doesn't feel like home. Although its the same country, they're so far away its not like he would be even remotely close to his friends and family.

gwrighter
05-09-2012, 10:19 AM
No chance of this happening.

And I'm not trying to smash Toronto when I say this but for someone from BC, going to Toronto doesn't feel like home. Although its the same country, they're so far away its not like he would be even remotely close to his friends and family.

He would be closer to those involved with Team Canada Basketball.

deaner
05-09-2012, 10:32 AM
#1. a max contract for any 38 (39 next season btw) year old would be dumb. Plus Nash has said he'd be willing to take less money to play for a contender #2. Again, I think he's making enough money, has enough endorsments to not worry about more.
#3. No body knows Nash would get an execs job from the Raptors. Nash has also said that he doesn't necesserily want to be a coach or team Exec when he retires from basketball. He owns a film production company that he has said he'd like to move on to.

I'm a Suns fan so I'm bias BUT I don't see why Nash would leave a team because they weren't contenders and move to another team that are arguably worse. IMO if the Suns and Raptors want to keep Nash then they're really going to have to make a splash in the draft and free agency to even get a look. If not, he's gone to the OKC or Heat. He's going to the place that gives him the best chance to win.

You are unknowingly making our points.

1. Please provide a link to a quote that Nash has said he would take less money. I really challenge you on that.

2. He wants a 3 year 10 million dollar contract. Raps are willing, ready, and able.

3. Did you read yesterdays news. He already took a GM position with team Canada. This discredits a lot of your post right here.

4. Are you aware that Toronto is the 3rd largest Film and TV hub in north america?

5. You might want to research Jonas Valanciunas, last years pick that will accompany another lottery pick this year. Val is a legit starting C who thrives in the P&R. Also there's 12M in cap space to make a splash before July 1 to make his decision easier. They have the assets to go after a Howard, Josh Smith, Rudy Gay type player before Nash decides.

6. The difference in the two orgs is the raptors are willing to spend to build and keep. Ownership has stated they have no problem going into Lux tax for the right player combo. The suns lost Nash because they wouldn't pick up anything Nash asked for.

7. There is a long term relationship with both Jay Triano and Bryan Colangelo. Nash said yesterday that his favourite basketball ever was with Jay Triano playing for Canada.

8. Raps have upgraded both their Coaching Staff and Medical/sports sciences team.

miller74
05-09-2012, 10:32 AM
they will not give a max deal... raptors don't currently have a bad contract on the books like many teams do... there's a reason for that.

Ya there is a reason for that, because they cannot attract elite players worthy of large contracts. Also Jose Calderon does not have the greatest contract either.

deaner
05-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Ya there is a reason for that, because they cannot attract elite players worthy of large contracts. Also Jose Calderon does not have the greatest contract either.

and what's wrong with a 10.5 Million dollar expiring on the leading assist/turnover ratio PG?

you realize Jose is tradable with his current deal and the raps have Amnesty in their back pocket right... I don't see your point.

The suns would be wise to do a S&T with Nash and trade for Jose Calderon. They will not attract a better PG in free agency, and they can trade him at the deadline to a contender who needs depth.

MonroeFAN
05-09-2012, 10:45 AM
This isn't a rumor, it's just wishful thinking by Raptor fans and reporters. Yeah, he might want to go home, but he could just as easily go to Minnesota, which is essentially Canada and play for a better team.

torocan
05-09-2012, 11:10 AM
This isn't a rumor, it's just wishful thinking by Raptor fans and reporters. Yeah, he might want to go home, but he could just as easily go to Minnesota, which is essentially Canada and play for a better team.

Ya... not sure I'd say Minnesota is essentially Canada. :rolleyes:

Let's just say on the short list of teams that I think Nash could end up on, I wouldn't rule the Raptors out.

pebloemer
05-09-2012, 11:11 AM
Deron Williams is the first domino to fall in free agency. If Deron re-ups with the Nets, I see Cuban reunited Nash and Dirk in Dallas. Beyond that, I can't think of another team that can/will throw the money at Nash that Toronto can/will. I think there are a lot of reasons why it could happen.

Depends what Nash wants and hwo the dominos fall.

TrueFan420
05-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Nash going with the cash.

its got nothing to do with the fact that he is from canada right?

spreadeagle
05-09-2012, 05:28 PM

It is ? lmao Detroit is just as close to the border as Minnesota you could of at least worked youre own team in here bud haha

deaner
05-09-2012, 06:59 PM
There has been a bit of internal debate in the raptors forum if Nash makes the raptors better.

Could I get a few of you to comment your thoughts?

Does a 38 year old Nash for 10M x3years make the raptors a better team?

Huntey
05-09-2012, 08:07 PM
You are unknowingly making our points.

1. Please provide a link to a quote that Nash has said he would take less money. I really challenge you on that.

2. He wants a 3 year 10 million dollar contract. Raps are willing, ready, and able.

3. Did you read yesterdays news. He already took a GM position with team Canada. This discredits a lot of your post right here.

4. Are you aware that Toronto is the 3rd largest Film and TV hub in north america?

5. You might want to research Jonas Valanciunas, last years pick that will accompany another lottery pick this year. Val is a legit starting C who thrives in the P&R. Also there's 12M in cap space to make a splash before July 1 to make his decision easier. They have the assets to go after a Howard, Josh Smith, Rudy Gay type player before Nash decides.

6. The difference in the two orgs is the raptors are willing to spend to build and keep. Ownership has stated they have no problem going into Lux tax for the right player combo. The suns lost Nash because they wouldn't pick up anything Nash asked for.

7. There is a long term relationship with both Jay Triano and Bryan Colangelo. Nash said yesterday that his favourite basketball ever was with Jay Triano playing for Canada.

8. Raps have upgraded both their Coaching Staff and Medical/sports sciences team.

1. Here you go: http://arizonasports.com/41/1529331/Nash-may-take-less-money-to-join-contender
Let's be honest here; Nash wants to win a championship. That's the only reason he's even considering leaving the Suns. To go to a team that has a chance to win.

2. He's never said he wants a $10million contract. He's said he feels he could play three more years and would be looking for a contract of that length. He's never mentioned money.

3. There's a difference between representing your country and running a team you have no affiliation with. I can understand being a national team GM; it's not a full time job so it's not going to take over his life. If he's already representing canadian basketball in some way then he's doing his bit and promoting it. I see people saying he'll go to Toronto so he can be more involved with the National team. He'd only be in Toronto during the season where he'll be busy playing so that's no reason.

4. Canada is in North America?? Nash lives in new york in the off-season which is a pretty huge media market too. Maybe he'll go there...

5 & 6. I know who Valanciunas is, I like him and i think he'll be great in time. You got to remember that he'll be a rookie playing in a whole new country and a whole new league. It's rare to see a european player dominate the league straight off. Not saying he won't have a good season but Nash won't make the second biggest decision of his career based on him.
I believe the Suns will have a little more than $20million cap space this off-season and have the green light from Sarver to spend on the right players.

On a side note of that, Nash going to the Raps is a push but Howard too? The Suns could make that happen too and are arguably more of a 'destination' than the Raptors. (just as a disclaimer: I dont think that will happen for the Suns either)

Honestly, I just don't see it. There are no grounds to it apart from that Nash is from Canada and the Raptors might offer him a contract at some point (so will 50% of teams in the league). This wasn't even a rumor, it was a suggestion by a journalist.

Huntey
05-09-2012, 08:08 PM
P.S. I hate writing long posts

Gators123
05-09-2012, 08:11 PM
1. Here you go: http://arizonasports.com/41/1529331/Nash-may-take-less-money-to-join-contender
Let's be honest here; Nash wants to win a championship. That's the only reason he's even considering leaving the Suns. To go to a team that has a chance to win.

2. He's never said he wants a $10million contract. He's said he feels he could play three more years and would be looking for a contract of that length. He's never mentioned money.

3. There's a difference between representing your country and running a team you have no affiliation with. I can understand being a national team GM; it's not a full time job so it's not going to take over his life. If he's already representing canadian basketball in some way then he's doing his bit and promoting it. I see people saying he'll go to Toronto so he can be more involved with the National team. He'd only be in Toronto during the season where he'll be busy playing so that's no reason.

4. Canada is in North America?? Nash lives in new york in the off-season which is a pretty huge media market too. Maybe he'll go there...

5 & 6. I know who Valanciunas is, I like him and i think he'll be great in time. You got to remember that he'll be a rookie playing in a whole new country and a whole new league. It's rare to see a european player dominate the league straight off. Not saying he won't have a good season but Nash won't make the second biggest decision of his career based on him.
I believe the Suns will have a little more than $20million cap space this off-season and have the green light from Sarver to spend on the right players.

On a side note of that, Nash going to the Raps is a push but Howard too? The Suns could make that happen too and are arguably more of a 'destination' than the Raptors. (just as a disclaimer: I dont think that will happen for the Suns either)

Honestly, I just don't see it. There are no grounds to it apart from that Nash is from Canada and the Raptors might offer him a contract at some point (so will 50% of teams in the league). This wasn't even a rumor, it was a suggestion by a journalist.

:laugh2: Yeah...

bljay29
05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
I doubt very much he will be a Raptor ever

Huntey
05-09-2012, 08:40 PM
:laugh2: Yeah...

i'm from England so i have no clue about that stuff. :facepalm: myself.

MonroeFAN
05-09-2012, 10:39 PM
It is ? lmao Detroit is just as close to the border as Minnesota you could of at least worked youre own team in here bud haha

Has nothing to do with the geography. Have you ever been to Minnesota? Have you heard the accent?

It's Canada.

justinnum1
05-10-2012, 10:33 AM
kennedy
Sources say Phoenix will likely offer Steve Nash two years, $20 million. However, I think Nash leaves money on the table to join contender.

D12 fan
05-10-2012, 10:46 AM
kennedy

10 mil a year will be tough to turn down for Steve Nash who will be 39 next year,if Phoniex can get some players in FA I think Nash resigns with Phx.

todu82
05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
It'd be nice for him to come to Canada to play for Toronto but I think the guys wants a title, I doubt he gets that in Toronto.

knicks=love
05-10-2012, 11:11 AM
come to the knicks! :pray:

Sinestro
05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
Don't want to see him in Miami because of all the ball dominant players already, would love to see him in Indy

Eagles4Lyfe
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
There is no doubting he won't win a title with us.
Unless we do some major trading I don't get how were better than the
Heat, Bulls, Hawks, Pacers, Knicks, Celtics

ManRam
05-10-2012, 02:04 PM
I think it would be cool if he went to Toronto. It would create some nice buzz, at least for a little while.

I want to see him ring-chase honestly, but I'm not gonna ever question him doing something like this. He's a grown man and he can do what he wants, and I think it would be kinda cool.

Heatcheck
05-10-2012, 03:54 PM
He'll be in miami.

DaSeba5
05-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I would like to see him chase a ring at this point in his career, but whatever he does is his decision.