PDA

View Full Version : If The Heat Don't Win...

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2012, 03:55 PM
The Heat currently have what looks like an easy path to the finals, but when they get there they are going to be facing which ever team managed to win the west, and whoever that team is going to be, they will be ready for a fight. The Heat will not match up well against LA, they simply don't have the power in the front court that LA has, and with the addition of Sessions, the PG spot is going to be going in LA's favour as well. In fact, the only position the Miami would win against LA is the SF, and Metta World-Peace, regardless of how he's been shooting the ball, is still a great defender. If its OKC, they might match up a little better because OKC won't have the low-post scoring to torch Miami with. If its the Spurs, well, the Spurs have the best record in the league for a reason, and their bench is likely among the strongest in the league right now. Miami simply doesn't have anything to put in at Center and PG, and it could, as it did last season, cost them a title.

If the Heat don't win, there will be finger pointing, and I think we all know who is going to be held accountable if they don't win it: Spo! Spo has been doing a pretty decent job over the last two years, but this team may come up short again this season, and not for lack of coaching, but it will be Spo that the fingers are pointed to.

So if the Heat don't win it... will Spo still have a job?

Birdmannn
05-07-2012, 03:57 PM
I hope not. Still am not a fan of his.

Jumi
05-07-2012, 04:01 PM
It depends how they lose, imo. He can't control players that disapper when it matters most! If it's LA, I think the PG matchup is even and the SG has a slight edge to Kobe but not that great of a disparity. Wade is "Much in the Clutch!" I'm a Spurs fan so I hope to see them in the Finals, but a Thunder Heat finals would be good. The Heat have to make it pass Boston first!! That's not gonna be easy! Same for the Spurs, Lakers, or Thunder making it outta the West!

BigBlueCrew
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Fingers are gonna pointed at Spo? thats funny. While I happen to agree with you that he isnt the most talented coach in the world, when it comes to Miami Heat, there is one person and one person alone that will get blamed for not winning the championship....

THE CHOSEN ONE!

justinnum1
05-07-2012, 04:07 PM
Depends why they lost.

Sinestro
05-07-2012, 04:11 PM
They can't lose, if they lose I fear for the sports world

Evolution23
05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
They won't win because they just aren't that good

Vinylman
05-07-2012, 04:32 PM
unfortunately, spo would be the scapegoat...

the real problem is Pat Riley... he did nothing to fix their two biggest issues from last year PG&C

However, i expect the heat to win it this year

justinnum1
05-07-2012, 04:36 PM
They won't win because they just aren't that good

What happened to the knicks sweeping miami like you said?

THE MTL
05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
The Heat currently have what looks like an easy path to the finals, but when they get there they are going to be facing which ever team managed to win the west, and whoever that team is going to be, they will be ready for a fight. The Heat will not match up well against LA, they simply don't have the power in the front court that LA has, and with the addition of Sessions, the PG spot is going to be going in LA's favour as well. In fact, the only position the Miami would win against LA is the SF, and Metta World-Peace, regardless of how he's been shooting the ball, is still a great defender. If its OKC, they might match up a little better because OKC won't have the low-post scoring to torch Miami with. If its the Spurs, well, the Spurs have the best record in the league for a reason, and their bench is likely among the strongest in the league right now. Miami simply doesn't have anything to put in at Center and PG, and it could, as it did last season, cost them a title.

If the Heat don't win, there will be finger pointing, and I think we all know who is going to be held accountable if they don't win it: Spo! Spo has been doing a pretty decent job over the last two years, but this team may come up short again this season, and not for lack of coaching, but it will be Spo that the fingers are pointed to.

So if the Heat don't win it... will Spo still have a job?

I dont like your assessment of a Heat-Lakers matchup. We see things very differently....

I think the Heat match up well with LA. The Heat are very athletic and the defense is immense. They do an excellent job of clogging the middle actually and rotating. If anyone has a problem in an MIA-LAL matchup in the Finals it will be the Lakers.

Sessions is just a decent PG, he isnt a superstar and I think the defensive orientated Mario Chalmers can handle him. And dont forget Lebron James can put point guards on absolute lockdown...he did it to Lin, Rose, and Rondo.

Also, SG matchup of Kobe and Wade are about evenly matched up if you ask me. There is no clear advantage there. (technically i think Wade is a little better)

Bosh and Gasol matchup at PF. Judging from this season, I would give the edge to Chris Bosh as well.

Therefore LAL's only clear advantage is at center with Andrew Bynum. But you best believe that Bynum's life will be extremely difficult due to the vast defense of the Heat.

Pat Riley has said time and time again that Spo is the coach and he is going no where. I dont think he'll lose his job in the event they dnt win.

king4day
05-07-2012, 04:40 PM
If the Heat don't win, make a run at Nash and Robin Lopez. That should be enough to finish the job.

nycsports2
05-07-2012, 04:44 PM
What happened to the knicks sweeping miami like you said?

were about 2 :D

CEasFiRe
if the heat dont win it all, it'll just depend who they lose too and if anything should happen to cause them to lose such as unforeseen circumstances, otherwise i still feel someone from the west will beat them in the finals

justinnum1
were about 2 :D

Of course.

ManningToTyree
05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
we all know LeBron will be blamed.

BSardogan
05-07-2012, 04:47 PM
unfortunately, spo would be the scapegoat...

the real problem is Pat Riley... he did nothing to fix their two biggest issues from last year PG&C

However, i expect the heat to win it this year

What?? :speechless:

The guy signed Eddy Curry. What more can you ask for.

Really though. Chalmers is really a decent PG and a great role player for this Heat team, and I can also remember a lot of people having great expectations of this Norris Cole kid. I don't think there's any way to blame Pat Riley for that. Yea, the center position is still an issue, but what options did Miami even have for the league minimum, other than Turiaf.

LongIslandIcedZ
05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Firing Spolestra if the heat fail to win it all will seem like a bit of a cop out. Obviously the heat have the personnel to win championships in spite of the coach. Having said that, if they don't win their will have to be a shake up and coach is always the first to go.

Vinylman
05-07-2012, 05:04 PM
What?? :speechless:

The guy signed Eddy Curry. What more can you ask for.

Really though. Chalmers is really a decent PG and a great role player for this Heat team, and I can also remember a lot of people having great expectations of this Norris Cole kid. I don't think there's any way to blame Pat Riley for that. Yea, the center position is still an issue, but what options did Miami even have for the league minimum, other than Turiaf.

I will grant you that Chalmers is their best PG but there is no way he is starting on 80% of the teams in the NBA. If they had a Center it really wouldn't be a big deal. Riley has plenty of assets to trade but doesn't and the signing of battier was redundant...

Riley's last three signings are pretty bad

1. Haslem... ridiculous length on his deal
2. Miller... to much... to long
3. Battier... unnecessary... to long...

I know it is sacreligious to dump on Riley but lets get realistic

1. Shaq landed in his lap
2. He had nothing to do with getting the big 3 to play together... they decided it on there own... all he had to do was clear cap (not really hard).

The Heat are a solid team but there is no way Riley should get the credit.

Yankeefan213
05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Unless the Knicks come back and win the series somehow, his job is pretty secure in my opinion.

kubernetes
05-07-2012, 05:13 PM
we all know LeBron will be blamed.

Pretty much. Superstars don't get to make excuses. It's just the way it is.

NYY 26 to 7
05-07-2012, 05:21 PM
I dont like your assessment of a Heat-Lakers matchup. We see things very differently....

I think the Heat match up well with LA. The Heat are very athletic and the defense is immense. They do an excellent job of clogging the middle actually and rotating. If anyone has a problem in an MIA-LAL matchup in the Finals it will be the Lakers.

Sessions is just a decent PG, he isnt a superstar and I think the defensive orientated Mario Chalmers can handle him. And dont forget Lebron James can put point guards on absolute lockdown...he did it to Lin, Rose, and Rondo.

Also, SG matchup of Kobe and Wade are about evenly matched up if you ask me. There is no clear advantage there. (technically i think Wade is a little better)

Bosh and Gasol matchup at PF. Judging from this season, I would give the edge to Chris Bosh as well.

Therefore LAL's only clear advantage is at center with Andrew Bynum. But you best believe that Bynum's life will be extremely difficult due to the vast defense of the Heat.

Pat Riley has said time and time again that Spo is the coach and he is going no where. I dont think he'll lose his job in the event they dnt win.

Really ant agree with any of this. I'm not saying the heat wouldn't win - I think they would but it isn't a good matchup for the heat. The heat struggle rebounding and pau is much better than bosh (they are both soft as pillows but pau is a great passer and a much better rebounder) and there is no match for Bynum. Heat struggle with size and I still think Kobe is slightly better than wade. Lebron puts the heat over the top IMO though as long as he performs as he should but far from a good matchup for the heat as a team.

Spolstra should be fired and never should have been the coach to begin with. Riley should have stepped in and taken this team and they would already have been champs. I really believe that - this we don't have a pg or c is bs. Chalmers is very solid good defender can hit open 3s. Sure center could be a bit better but you have lebron wade and bosh. I don't think bosh was the right piece with the other 2 but still there is no excuse. Spo should be gone if they don't win.

ne3xchamps
05-07-2012, 05:22 PM
I say no. IF there is no championship this year, you will see pat riley take over the HC job, IMO.

metsbulls1025
05-07-2012, 05:24 PM
They need to win because those 3 contracts will start to increase and it will get harder and harder to add to that team. They were also banking on veterans to line up and join that team and that hasn't happened either.

NYY 26 to 7
05-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Pretty much. Superstars don't get to make excuses. It's just the way it is.

Yea hell get the blame but superstars don't get fired for failing - coaches do. And with that talent they should win. I think they will but they should have last year too so idk.

naps
05-07-2012, 05:31 PM
The world will come to an end. No sign of life will exist. Apocalypse.

justinnum1
05-07-2012, 05:34 PM
The world will come to an end. No sign of life will exist. Apocalypse.

This.

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2012, 06:14 PM
I will grant you that Chalmers is their best PG but there is no way he is starting on 80% of the teams in the NBA. If they had a Center it really wouldn't be a big deal. Riley has plenty of assets to trade but doesn't and the signing of battier was redundant...

2. He had nothing to do with getting the big 3 to play together... they decided it on there own... all he had to do was clear cap (not really hard).

You are so right. When he landed Shaq, he had vets the followed to fill the gaps. Now with the Heatles, vets haven't been showing up to fill the gaps, and Riley went and used his MLE to sign a SF when they already have TWO SMALL FORWARDS!!! LBJ and Mike Miller! Where did that signing come from?

If Riley was a real salesman, he would have been able to talk Nene or Chandler into playing with them for the MLE. I would have been impressed with that.

There were some quality vets willing to take the vet-min; Kenyon Martin, J.R. Smith, Baron Davis, Troy Murphy, Gilbert Arenas. And Miami could even manage to bring one of them into the fold. Kanyon Martin can play center... throw him in the starting line up at the C and let Haslem eat up the back up minutes at C and PF. But all Riley could do in the offseason was sign a SF when they already had two of them, and one of them is the best player in the game!

I do fault Riley for not finding players to fill in those two gaps. There are SO many talented PGs in the league.

That said, I think Miami jsut needs to go with a big line up. Let Wade start at PG like he did his first two seasons, and then throw Mike Miller in a SG instead of SF, and let Battier back up him and James. Haslem should start at center and Bosh at PF. That line up looks good on paper. and playing those big guys are SG would give other teams a match-up problem.

justinnum1
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM

What center are you going to get for 4mil per?

RaiderLakersA's
05-07-2012, 06:20 PM
There are going to be personnel changes even if the Heat win it all. Riley remembers from his time in LA that you can't rest on your laurels if you expect to dominate long-term. Spo might be the first change made, but he won't be the last.

justinnum1
05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
There are going to be personnel changes even if the Heat win it all. Riley remembers from his time in LA that you can't rest on your laurels if you expect to dominate long-term. Spo might be the first change made, but he won't be the last.

Yea, i can see them amnesty miller even if they win it. Maybe try and get nash, or hill. or both:D

meloman1592
05-07-2012, 06:35 PM
If they lose the blame will be distributed as follows:
98% Lebron
1% Spoelstra
1% the real reason

BSplaya2121
05-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Id say if the Heat doesnt make it to the finals then Spo will really have a tough time retaining his job (east road shouldnt be too difficult besides the Celtics), but if it goes 6 or 7 games in the finals and they lose to either the Spurs, Lakers, Thunder, or Memphis (all teams i think could win the west) then id say thats not the coaches fault, gotta hold that against the players.

Vinylman
05-07-2012, 06:44 PM
What center are you going to get for 4mil per?

with all i posted that is all you come up with... what center? why is Free Agency the only option? Anyway,

last year?

if you had signed kwame brown in 2010 you probably would have won the chip... his defense is WAY better than Anthony

he had a great year in Charlotte and was only paid a couple of million on a 1year deal...

My overall point is that Riley has made alot of moves and none really have made much difference while they have further handcuffed the team in terms of cap space in the future.

I still think they win this year but it won't be as easy as it should be if the FO was doing their job.