PDA

View Full Version : If the Thunder win the title this season it would be one of most impressive runs ever

JordansBulls
05-07-2012, 01:13 PM
If the Thunder win the title this season it would be one of most impressive runs ever.

They would have beaten the defending champion from last year, then probably have beaten the Lakers (2x defending champion) before that, then the Spurs (the champion in 2007 with core intact still) and then either Miami (finalist a year ago or champion in 2006) or Boston (champion in 2008 or finalist in 2010).

Essentially speaking they would have gone thru one of the champions in the past 7 seasons in order to win a title that still has a marquee elite player or two on the team.

knicks4life33
05-07-2012, 01:16 PM
those are all good teams so I would say yes

Baller1
05-07-2012, 01:17 PM
When you put it that way, it sounds like an incredible run.

But that only just makes me nervous as to how far we'll really go this year.

Sinestro
05-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Hope they win love the way they have built that team up

Slug3
05-07-2012, 01:37 PM
If they do go through all those teams it would be an incredible run.

marvILLous
05-07-2012, 01:39 PM
I believe

kdspurman
05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
No question!

Law25
05-07-2012, 01:46 PM
Wont happen.

Law25
05-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Lakers bomaye!!! Lakers bomaye!!!!

Law25
05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Honestly if they do past us (which i pray they dont) I think their legs will be dead. To dead to complete with the Grizz, Clippers, or Spurs in the WCF.

metsbulls1025
05-07-2012, 01:49 PM
But all those teams out west are not any where close as good as when they won their titles.

Joshtd1
05-07-2012, 01:52 PM
Actually think the Mavs run from last year would be more impressive personally. Everyone is expecting the Thunder to go, no one expected the Mavs to do it last year.

BigDFan85
05-07-2012, 01:55 PM
But all those teams out west are not any where close as good as when they won their titles.

You beat me to it, but I'd include the Eastern Conference teams as well. I would venture to say the only team that could say they were close to that level would be the Heat.

Ebbs
05-07-2012, 01:56 PM
Miami beats them in the finals

BALLER R
05-07-2012, 01:56 PM
I didn't think about that. That would be incredible. It would be even more amazing because it would be kind of a shift in power. All those previous championship teams are all older veteran teams. It would kind of be a new era in the NBA. Young, Athletic and Fast. It would make for a good story line if I were an NBA journalist. Just saying

thekmp211
05-07-2012, 01:57 PM
yeah i think this is a big reason why they are still a year (maybe two) out from a title. lots of big dogs who are dying to get another ring before they call it quits. its only a matter of time tho for okc.

frankly from a historical standpoint it's a pretty epic playoffs in that regard. factor in small market teams like denver and memphis who are proving to be worthy opponents, and it's a pretty cool time to be an NBA fan right now imo.

b_russ
05-07-2012, 02:00 PM
As soon as my Jazz loose I'm jumping on the Thunder bandwagon.

king4day
05-07-2012, 02:00 PM
I think Dallas last year was bigger because it was unexpected. The Mavs had to go through a team everyone felt was unbeatable in LA. Then they topped the upstart OKC. Finally, the team most favored to win it all last year and many years ahead, Miami.

OKC, (unlike Dallas of last season) everyone knows is possibly the best team in the league right now. LA has lost a step and Dallas is a shell of last years team.

Joshtd1
05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
I think Dallas last year was bigger because it was unexpected. The Mavs had to go through a team everyone felt was unbeatable in LA. Then they topped the upstart OKC. Finally, the team most favored to win it all last year and many years ahead, Miami.

OKC, (unlike Dallas of last season) everyone knows is possibly the best team in the league right now. LA has lost a step and Dallas is a shell of last years team.

You just copied what I said. Typical Suns fan :)

DRose7
05-07-2012, 02:17 PM
They have the same matchup as the Mavs from last year...except the blazers

It would be impressive, but not better than last years Mavs... OKC played a beat up Mavs team, probably will play a Laker team without Odom (and maybe Artest)

TRF929
05-07-2012, 02:55 PM
I don't think its as incredible as you make it sound, sure itd be cool, but team aren't the same. Let them go back in time and play those teams during their championship run and then we're talkin. Lakers 2-3 years ago or go back further in the 2000s, Spurs pick a year, Boston in 08, Miami now and I forgot Dallas when they had defense last year.

That would be incredible, teams get older and salaries build. It really helps that most OKC players are on rookie contracts

ManningToTyree
05-07-2012, 03:15 PM
It would be impressive for sure.

sep11ie
05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
So they beat a bunch of playoff teams in the playoffs...

Lakers + Giants
05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm not trying to take anything away from them, i'm just saying it's not THAT impressive if your expected to come out of the west in the first place. Just like miami is expected to come out of the east.

GrkGawdofWalkz
05-07-2012, 03:48 PM
27-3 over the last 30 for the Spurs. 19-1 on the road. I would like to squelch that as well. The Thunder are younger and more exciting, but not any more successful than the Spurs. Beating the Dallas Mavericks while Dirk is still a great player really isn't much of a surprise. They are a shell of last years team. Older and falling apart.

mdm692
05-07-2012, 03:48 PM
Anybody denying this would be an amazing run is just plain hating. The mavs, wether or not they lost a step, are still the defending champs. The lakers are finding their flow at the right time with kobe and pau and bynum in sync. Spurs are playing as good as ever and are the deepest team in the league, hell their bench is a starting unit. Heat have lebron and wade nuff said. Finally has anybody watched the celtics play they are going HAM and paul pierce is lighting it up.

GrkGawdofWalkz
05-07-2012, 03:49 PM
Anybody denying this would be an amazing run is just plain hating. The mavs, wether or not they lost a step, are still the defending champs. The lakers are finding their flow at the right time with kobe and pau and bynum in sync. Spurs are playing as good as ever and are the deepest team in the league, hell their bench is a starting unit. Heat have lebron and wade nuff said. Finally has anybody watched the celtics play they are going HAM and paul pierce is lighting it up.

It's an amazing run, but they're not even the best team in the West. Lmao.

shep33
05-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Still got the Spurs coming out west, but if OKC does win it all, that's one heck of a run. Maybe one of the best ever, if not the best ever.

The Western Conference is tough... a lot tougher than the EC playoffs this year (really every year, but more so this year because of the injuries).

John Walls Era
05-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Yeah sure. If the Bobcats win the title next season it would be one of most impressive runs ever too.

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Well... it would be impressive if they did it, but there is a long hard road before them. Its going to take a lot of good games to get it done, and with their lack of low-post scoring, I'm not sure they can get it done.

That said, I will have a smile on my face so long as any team other than Miami wins :-) Yes... I hate them that much.

I'm Rootin' for the Spurs, but I think the Lakers are taking it this year.

Although, I would like to see a Tim vs. LBJ re-match... last time Duncan saw LBJ in the finals it was a clean sweep! I would hope for the same this year.

RaiderLakersA's
05-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Don't. Count. Chickens. Before. Eggs. Hatch.

Cal827
05-07-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't think they'll get by LA next round. Or Memphis in the WCF.

SteveNash
05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Going through a team that gutted themselves to prepare for the offseason, a team that got swept in the second round and got worse, and a team that lost in the first round last year isn't all that impressive.