PDA

View Full Version : They should Change up the NBA All Star Game

BKLYNpigeon
05-07-2012, 01:47 AM
The All Star game in the past few years have been boring, meaningless and not memorable at all. The NBA should rethink the game a bit. Instead of East vs West.

It should be NBA VS The International players once in awhile. It would be Damn interesting, and I think the Internationals would give the Americans a run for their money.

Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Jose Calderon
Manu Ginobli
Ben Gordon
Luol Deng
Dirk Novitzki
Tim Duncan
Al Horford
Marc Gasol
Pau Gasol

etc..

greg_ory_2005
05-07-2012, 02:03 AM
The game this year was pretty good.

Anyways, it's just suppose to be a fun exhibition game. Seems like the players would play their hardest if it was an America vs the world game. Then the team owners and coaches would have something to complain about.

Tmath
05-07-2012, 02:07 AM
I support this 100%

PurpleJesus
05-07-2012, 02:07 AM
I feel the NBA does better than all the other sports with their all star games.

THE MTL
05-07-2012, 02:10 AM
The All Star game in the past few years have been boring, meaningless and not memorable at all. The NBA should rethink the game a bit. Instead of East vs West.

It should be NBA VS The International players once in awhile. It would be Damn interesting, and I think the Internationals would give the Americans a run for their money.

Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Jose Calderon
Manu Ginobli
Ben Gordon
Luol Deng
Dirk Novitzki
Tim Duncan
Al Horford
Marc Gasol
Pau Gasol

etc..

LMAO! Its funny how you mention boring games and then you wanna put the likes of Ben Gordon and Calderon against Chris Paul and Derrick Rose?

The NBA allstars would demolish that team. It wouldnt be fun at all.

Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwayne Wade

....thats a joke

THE MTL
05-07-2012, 02:13 AM
Now a good idea would be to make the Allstar game a true exhibition game where you have CAPTAINS and they pick the team. That would be cool. Especially seeing who wants to play with who.

greg_ory_2005
05-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Now a good idea would be to make the Allstar game a true exhibition game where you have CAPTAINS and they pick the team. That would be cool. Especially seeing who wants to play with who.

Yeah I was about to mention that. The NHL fantasy draft thing is pretty fun to watch. Then you get to see players that wouldnt usually be teammates.

Cal827
05-07-2012, 02:23 AM

Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Jose Calderon
Manu Ginobli
Ben Gordon
Luol Deng
Dirk Novitzki
Tim Duncan
Al Horford
Marc Gasol
Pau Gasol

etc..

I like the idea, but only if HellCrooner is the Head Coach of the team :D

Unfortunately, as someone already mentioned, basically every superstar (minus Dirk) are on the US team, who also have other stars (Rose, Melo, etc) to support their superstars.

Also mentioned, I like the pick one idea. Might see Wade/Lebron on different teams. Also, the East won't have 3 superstars right off the bat (Howard/Lebron/Wade)

greg_ory_2005
05-07-2012, 02:27 AM
What ever happened to crooner? I miss him. :(

bholly
05-07-2012, 04:37 AM
The real problem isn't just that it might not be even enough, it's that it makes it even more likely to have the wrong guys in the game at all. I count 6 guys out of this year's 25 (including the injury replacement) who could play for the international team. That means you have 6 of this year's guys missing out and 6 less worthy internationals coming in to replace them. That sucks. It's supposed to be an exhibition of the best and favourite players, not an international showcase - that's what the World Champs and Olympics are for.
The East/West split has the same problem but to a much lesser degree - it's likely that the best 24 won't be split evenly between the conferences, so some more worthy guys miss out, but it isn't nearly as uneven as the international/USA split.

I agree that the best way would be to do away with conferences, and have two captains - either the top two vote-getters or the top vote-getter and the previous year's MVP. The top 4 guards, 4 forwards, and 2 centers by vote numbers (regardless of conference) are the starters, so the captains have to pick between those guys first.
Then for the reserves, the coaches pick 4 guards, 4 forwards, 2 centers, and 2 from any position, then the last 2 guys are the highest vote-getters who haven't been picked yet (or coaches' choice, who cares). Those 14 guys are the reserves and the captains pick between them to finish out their teams.

john545455
05-07-2012, 05:42 AM
I feel the NBA does better than all the other sports with their all star games.

I would have to say baseball. Home run derby, and the simple fact the winner gets home field advantage. That makes everyone play hard. Might change basketball allstar game from lob city 144-140 to 95-90 fundamentally sound.

bholly
05-07-2012, 05:55 AM
Tying real basketball things like HCA to the All Star game is awful. The ASG is supposed to be an exhibition. You're going to make a crucial decision about the finals not based on what the teams have earned, but on some game that was determined by players who have nothing to do with the finals? No way. It makes a farce of home-court advantage.

You'd also be making it so that the top teams are more likely to take the last few games of the season off, because finals HCA is already determined. You think it's worth teams not caring about the last few games of the season, and making a huge impact on the finals, all just to get them to care more about one game that isn't even with real teams? Between bunches of guys who get one day to practice together?
The only way I can see someone preferring that is if they don't actually care about proper basketball, but just care about the hype and stardom side of things. May as well base it on the dunk contest, then maybe the best guys will enter that.

It'd also give fans and coaches the incentive to vote in worse guys for the opposing conference, so they can get HCA.

It's just an awful awful idea. It might work in baseball, where teamwork and practicing together is less important, and there are bigger gaps in records at the end of the season, and home advantage isn't as great (I think?), but it's just awful for basketball.

Cub_StuckinSTL
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Dance battle?

I really like what hockey does with drafting the teams. The two highest vote getters are captains or do the two coaches pick their teams just like backyard school games

LongIslandIcedZ
05-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Every single sport could completely eliminate their all star game and I dont think I would lose an ounce of sleep.

mamba24
05-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Jose Calderon
Manu Ginobli
Ben Gordon
Luol Deng
Dirk Novitzki
Tim Duncan
Al Horford
Marc Gasol
Pau Gasol

etc..

it would be more entertaining to make it like a pick up game... 2 captains are picked and they pick their own teams out of the guys selected to be in the all star game

mamba24
05-07-2012, 11:35 AM
What ever happened to crooner? I miss him. :(

dont we all haha

LakersKB24
05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
LMAO! Its funny how you mention boring games and then you wanna put the likes of Ben Gordon and Calderon against Chris Paul and Derrick Rose?

Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwayne Wade

....thats a joke

You could probably leave all these guys at home and put together antoher USA team, that would still beat the international team :shrug:

Hellcrooner
05-07-2012, 01:49 PM

Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Lebron James
Kobe Bryant
Dwight Howard
Carmelo Anthony
Chris Bosh
Dwayne Wade

....thats a joke

YOu mean, basically the same dudes that ALMOST got beat by team SPAIN alone who has only two allstars by tha name gasol?

add some Manus, Nashes, Parkers, Dengs, Boguts and Dirks and you can be sure the odds of the game would be 50/50.

Hellcrooner
05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Steve Nash ( former mvp)
Manu ginobili ( Nba champion and allstar)
Luol Deng.
Dirk ( nba champion, mvp and allstar)
Pau Gasol ( nba champion mvp and allstar)

Bench
Tony Pakrer ( nba champions and finals mvp)
Ben gordon
Al Horford ( allstar)
Serge Ibaka ( soon to be on some all defensive teams, if not DPOY)
Marc Gasol ( allstar)
Andrew Bogut ( Allstar)
Ricky RUbio ( if he gets past his injury future all star and all defensive teams)

that can scare the hell out of everyone.

Ill21
05-07-2012, 01:59 PM

Tony Parker
Steve Nash
Jose Calderon
Manu Ginobli
Ben Gordon
Luol Deng
Dirk Novitzki
Tim Duncan
Al Horford
Marc Gasol
Pau Gasol

etc..

I thought Ben Gordon was born in Mt. Vernon, Ny?

Hellcrooner
05-07-2012, 02:03 PM

He is a british citizen and plays for the british national team.

Ill21
05-07-2012, 02:03 PM
He is a british citizen and plays for the british national team.

O wow, never knew that

KnickFanSince91
05-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Born in London and spent a few weeks there before coming over to mt virus.

greg_ory_2005
05-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Crooner! :clap:

Cal827
05-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Steve Nash ( former mvp)
Luol Deng.

Bench
Ben gordon
Al Horford ( allstar)
Marc Gasol ( allstar)
Andrew Bogut ( Allstar)
Ricky RUbio ( if he gets past his injury future all star and all defensive teams)

Let's not forget another PG that should (along with Rubio) bring back his franchise in Kyrie Irving :D

THE MTL
05-07-2012, 09:32 PM
YOu mean, basically the same dudes that ALMOST got beat by team SPAIN alone who has only two allstars by tha name gasol?

add some Manus, Nashes, Parkers, Dengs, Boguts and Dirks and you can be sure the odds of the game would be 50/50.

Ummm....no. Because Team Spain has chemistry and been playing together for like 10 years. That is the only way they stood a chance. which they still lost to Americans btw so I dont get your point regardless.

A complete random assortment of the international best would get KILLED!

AntiG
05-08-2012, 01:36 AM
Steve Nash ( former mvp)
Luol Deng.

Bench
Ben gordon
Al Horford ( allstar)
Marc Gasol ( allstar)
Andrew Bogut ( Allstar)

Well they'd have to have been All-star worthy in the first place to even consider doing an International-USA game WITHOUT screwing over more worthy USA players.

Based on this past season alone, Godon, Horford, Rubio and Bogut don't make the game.

It works better for hockey, because hockey is like 65% European players so they can pull it off. In the NBA, its like 95% American players, and I'd say amongst "All-Star level" players, still around 90% American.

While obviously it can change down the line, doing it at this point would either create a situation where more deserving players are screwed in order to force an International-USA gimmick roster to happen, or basically have an overstaffed USA roster and understaffed International one.

Lets just make a pool of the players that actually made the All-Star game this year...

American players:
Chris Paul
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Durant
Blake Griffin
Andrew Bynum
LaMarcus Aldridge
Kevin Love
Russell Westbrook
Derrick Rose
Dwyane Wade
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Dwight Howard
Chris Bosh
Andre Iguodala
Joe Johnson (injured) / Rajon Rondo (replacement)
Deron Williams
Paul Pierce

International:
Dirk Nowitzki
Tony Parker
Steve Nash (though Canadian is hardly really much of an international)
Luol Deng
Roy Hibbert (born in US but holds dual citizenship with Jamaica, so we can throw him on this team)

And amongst the borderline All-Star considerations that missed the cut (Kevin Garnett, Josh Smith, Paul Millsap, Tim Duncan, Al Jefferson, Manu Ginobili, Serge Ibaka, James Harden, Monta Ellis, Brandon Jennings, Rudy Gay, Danny Granger, Tyson Chandler, Joakim Noah), most of them were American players as well.

So that's a starting lineup missing a shooting guard with zero bench. Simply doesn't work because if you try to force an international vs USA situation you end up kicking off too many of the most deserving players.

Raph12
05-08-2012, 02:16 AM
I think it would be better if there was a larger incentive, like HCA for the NBA Finals...