PDA

View Full Version : Harden and Davis added to team USA roster

LAKobeBryant
05-07-2012, 12:32 AM
with all the injuries around the nba due to the shorten season team USA added James Harden and Anthony Davis to the team USA roster for the 2012 london olympics.

i am very surprised that anthony davis got selected. they are replacing derrick rose and dwight howard.

http://london2012.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/04/harden-and-davis-are-added-to-u-s-basketball-roster/

blastmasta26
05-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Anthony Davis? :speechless:

tredigs
05-07-2012, 12:42 AM
The list of good American Centers is very slim, so Davis makes sense. It'll be great for him/fans also. He'll learn a ton.

James Harden. Enough said, he's earned it.

HYFR
05-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Imo harden is a great fit for this team

tredigs
05-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Both should have an outside chance of making the squad, but ultimately you kind of have to doubt they will. But I agree, Harden's the ultimate player for an Olympic Team. They'd be stupid not to take him.

blastmasta26
05-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Yeah, Harden plays the game so well, he'd definitely thrive internationally.

Chronz
05-07-2012, 12:47 AM
So does this mean Iggy has no shot?

Teeboy1487
05-07-2012, 01:03 AM
I hope Harden makes it. He's a great fit for that team.

BKLYNpigeon
05-07-2012, 01:28 AM
they should only let nba players make one Olympic Team. It would be more interesting.

Becks2307
05-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Wow Bill Simmons is a genius, he called for the Anthony Davis one HARD a couple of weeks ago on his website.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7836691/welcome-back-mailbag

Lakers + Giants
05-07-2012, 02:17 AM
I thought it was big baby. I was about to say. . .

ZebraCity916
05-07-2012, 02:20 AM
It's gonna be interesting to see who's at the 5 this summer.

Baller1
05-07-2012, 02:57 AM
I thought it was big baby. I was about to say. . .

Same here.

The future #1 SG in the league better make the team.

AceMan
05-07-2012, 03:22 AM
With Dwight Howard out Anthony Davis makes perfect sense. What other center would they bring besides Tyson Chandler? And with the way Harden's playing he deserves a chance to fight for a spot.

jmoney85
05-07-2012, 03:27 AM
honestly I would take anthony davis over chandler anyways... I think davis plays just as good on D and has a better offensive game

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-07-2012, 03:47 AM
honestly I would take anthony davis over chandler anyways... I think davis plays just as good on D and has a better offensive game

Where did u see him play against NBA level talent?? Cuz I wanna see where you got this from...

With that being said. Both should be on it. Harden has definatley earned it. and Anthony Davis will be a good back up for Ty.

jmoney85
05-07-2012, 04:08 AM
Where did u see him play against NBA level talent?? Cuz I wanna see where you got this from...

With that being said. Both should be on it. Harden has definatley earned it. and Anthony Davis will be a good back up for Ty.

its my opinion... I dont care if he hasnt played in the nba yet... hes a stud

Six-8-TheWizard
05-07-2012, 04:14 AM

They also said the same thing when they put Okafor on the team when he came out of college

naps
05-07-2012, 04:32 AM
Harden YES,
but
Anthony Davis :speechless: WTF! I know he's a great talent and all that but the guy hasn't stepped into pro yet. I know it used to be college players in the olympic back in the days but when was the last time a college kid made the olympic team? 1984?

Kings Faithful
05-07-2012, 05:08 AM
God forbid something were to happen to Davis during the offseason. Its great that he's receiving this honor but it makes me a little nervous on his behalf.

goNYgoNYgo
05-07-2012, 05:26 AM

your opinion isn't worth ****. you just compared a college level player whose never played against nba level talent vs dpoy? don't ever post again. and go kill yourself.

AceMan
05-07-2012, 05:31 AM
Harden YES,
but
Anthony Davis :speechless: WTF! I know he's a great talent and all that but the guy hasn't stepped into pro yet. I know it used to be college players in the olympic back in the days but when was the last time a college kid made the olympic team? 1984?

There was a college kid on the dream team, Christian Laettner. He made it over Shaq, another college kid.

Run&Gun
05-07-2012, 05:49 AM
I was surprised to find Davis on the list too. Greg Monroe and Cousins both wanted to play I thought they should get a chance. I have no doubt Davis is a a great talent but playing in international ball where they are very physical and considering at the college level he hasn't played against real bigs yet may be a problem to have to rely on him as a 5. I think Monroe would have been a good fit he's not a great shot blocker but he's a big body, good rebounder, can pass, and steal the ball pretty well too. Cousins is prob. more talented, but I'm sure they wouldn't chose him based on b-ball IQ.

TheNumber37
05-07-2012, 06:25 AM
With Dwight Howard out Anthony Davis makes perfect sense. What other center would they bring besides Tyson Chandler? And with the way Harden's playing he deserves a chance to fight for a spot.

Tyson is not American

meloman1592
05-07-2012, 07:37 AM
Ant Davis should be there over chandler? wow...whoever said that...just...idk...fall down somewhere

tredigs
05-07-2012, 07:42 AM
Tyson is not American

And so the Tyson Chandler 'birther' saga begins.

Tyson's American... and started for Team USA for our FIBA Gold.

aussie
05-07-2012, 08:23 AM
is he the first NCAA player to make the USA Olympic team?

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Who all is on the lsit to try out for the team? I don't have any problems letting a top rate college player on the team. He just won a national title, and even the original dream team had a college player on the squad (though it should have been Shaq instead of CL).

Harden is a great player to, very deserving of a spot on the roster.

The biggest problem with the Olympic team is getting the best player in the league to sign on. So many great players don't even want to play for the team. It would be nice if all the very best players were actually on board for the olymics so we could really see how good a team like that can do.

JasonJohnHorn
05-07-2012, 09:02 AM
is he the first NCAA player to make the USA Olympic team?

No. The Olympic team used to be made up of strictly college players until 1992, but even the 92 Dream Team had one college player (Christian Laettner). I think Davis would be the first college player since 1992. Though some players who were the same age as Davis have been on the team I believe, like LBJ, because they came out of highschool. I could be wrong about that last bit though.

TRF929
05-07-2012, 09:20 AM
I know this won't happen but I remember reading an article a couple weks ago or something, they stated the team should add Duncan to the squad playing 5. I think that would be a great idea, but dont see it happening and not sure if Duncan would even wanna play

Lindystud36
05-07-2012, 09:26 AM
DMC over Davis any day of the week

gwrighter
05-07-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd be surprised if Anthony Davis makes the actual team.

GeekInThePink
05-07-2012, 10:43 AM
your opinion isn't worth ****. you just compared a college level player whose never played against nba level talent vs dpoy? don't ever post again. and go kill yourself.

You're a peice of ****. Why would you ever tell somebody (on a sports forum no less) to kill themselves. You're an ***, and will always be an ***. **** you.

Sixxburg
05-07-2012, 10:52 AM
The list of 20 players who potentially can make the roster is crazy.. There are some great stars on the list. But unfortunately james harden wont make the team. These players here are locks:

Lebron James
Carmello Anthony
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Dwayne Wade
Anothony Davis- College Player Ie: Christian Laettner

Potentials

Blake Griffin
Kevin Love
LaMarcus Aldridge
Russell Westbrook?
Tyson Chandler?

Here is the list of the final 20 man roster. Who would you take off?

LaMarcus Aldridge F
Carmelo Anthony F
Chauncey Billups G
Chris Bosh F
Kobe Bryant G
Tyson Chandler C
Anthony Davis G
Kevin Durant G
Rudy Gay F
Eric Gordon G
Blake Griffin F
James Harden G
Dwight Howard C
Andre Iguodala G/F
LeBron James F
Kevin Love F
Lamar Odom F
Chris Paul G
Derrick Rose G
Dwyane Wade G
Russell Westbrook G
Deron Williams G

Baller1
05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge F
Carmelo Anthony F
Chauncey Billups G
Chris Bosh F
Kobe Bryant G
Tyson Chandler C
Anthony Davis G
Kevin Durant G
Rudy Gay F
Eric Gordon G
Blake Griffin F
James Harden G
Dwight Howard C
Andre Iguodala G/F
LeBron James F
Kevin Love F
Lamar Odom F
Chris Paul G
Derrick Rose G
Dwyane Wade G
Russell Westbrook G
Deron Williams G

jmoney85
05-07-2012, 01:56 PM

chandler is overrated and shouldnt have won the DPOY

davis can guard 3 positions on the floor and is a much better offensive player at this stage in his career...

bobby knight called davis the best defensive college player since patrick ewing.. that right there should say something

who cares if the guy hasnt played in the nba yet

Becks2307
05-07-2012, 02:09 PM
chandler is overrated and shouldnt have won the DPOY

davis can guard 3 positions on the floor and is a much better offensive player at this stage in his career...

bobby knight called davis the best defensive college player since patrick ewing.. that right there should say something

who cares if the guy hasnt played in the nba yet

so by all accounts we can expect Anthony Davis to be a DPOY in his rookie season then. You are silly, he hasn't played in the pros yet. Prodigious talent? yes, but to say he is already better than Tyson Chandler a proven leader and a world champion is blasphemous.

You don't even know how Davis will handle the mental side of being in the NBA.

Anyway If Davis somehow got selected, this would be a godsend for whatever team picks #1. All NBA players have spoken about how playing on Team USA with all the talented guys changed their game. Davis would come back from that experience so far ahead of the other rookies. Imagine him going against Lebron, Wade, Melo, Kobe. etc etc for a whole summer.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Davis' defense will help a ton but there's other players that have a better shot over him.

Raps18-19 Champ
05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
C-Chandler, Love
PF-Lebron, Bosh, Griffin
SF-Durant, Carmelo
SG-Kobe, Wade
PG-Paul, Williams, Westbrook

jmoney85
05-07-2012, 02:40 PM
so by all accounts we can expect Anthony Davis to be a DPOY in his rookie season then. You are silly, he hasn't played in the pros yet. Prodigious talent? yes, but to say he is already better than Tyson Chandler a proven leader and a world champion is blasphemous.

Anyway If Davis somehow got selected, this would be a godsend for whatever team picks #1. All NBA players have spoken about how playing on Team USA with all the talented guys changed their game. Davis would come back from that experience so far ahead of the other rookies. Imagine him going against Lebron, Wade, Melo, Kobe. etc etc for a whole summer.

everybody other than knicks fans know that chandler shouldnt have won the DPOY award... chandler is overpaid and overrated... he makes a living guarding the least talented position in the nba...yea he can block shots on help defense but any decent shot blocker can do the same...the best defenders can guard multiple SKILL positions

jmoney85
05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
international play is about guarding stretch 4's and 5's... im willing to bet that davis is much more suited for that than chandler

LongIslandIcedZ
05-07-2012, 02:42 PM

everybody other than knicks fans know that chandler shouldnt have won the DPOY award... chandler is overpaid and overrated... he makes a living guarding the least talented position in the nba...yea he can block shots on help defense but any decent shot blocker can do the same...the best defenders can guard multiple SKILL positions

Oh dear lord.

jmoney85
05-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Oh dear lord.

knick fan

Rivera
05-07-2012, 02:46 PM
LaMarcus Aldridge F
Carmelo Anthony F
Chauncey Billups G
Chris Bosh F
Kobe Bryant G
Tyson Chandler C
Anthony Davis G
Kevin Durant G
Rudy Gay F
Eric Gordon G
Blake Griffin F
James Harden G
Dwight Howard C
Andre Iguodala G/F
LeBron James F
Kevin Love F
Lamar Odom F
Chris Paul G
Derrick Rose G
Dwyane Wade G
Russell Westbrook G
Deron Williams G

id agree with this and have 0 problem with this team

The_Jamal
05-07-2012, 02:46 PM
C-Chandler, Love
PF-Lebron, Bosh, Griffin
SF-Durant, Carmelo
SG-Kobe, Wade
PG-Paul, Williams, Westbrook

Winner.

club america
05-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Damn i know this guy is a young talent and good and all but, i dont think he deserves a spot in the team over other guys who have been competing for a while in the nba. I think if there bringing him to play at the pf spot itll be okay but center he'll get dominated he to skinny to even try to stop the gasol brothers when we play spain so if they expect him to play center there just gonna make him look bad. Davis is almost exactly like ibaka on defense more help block shots, but not really great post defender defender against taller bigger and stronger players than him.

ManningToTyree
05-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Harden is a great addition. I'm always hesitant about the college guys, but if you are going to pick one, Davis would be it.

jmoney85
05-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Damn i know this guy is a young talent and good and all but, i dont think he deserves a spot in the team over other guys who have been competing for a while in the nba. I think if there bringing him to play at the pf spot itll be okay but center he'll get dominated he to skinny to even try to stop the gasol brothers when we play spain so if they expect him to play center there just gonna make him look bad. Davis is almost exactly like ibaka on defense more help block shots, but not really great post defender defender against taller bigger and stronger players than him.

I have no idea what you're talking about ... davis is a great post defender and most international players arent bigger than him

club america
05-07-2012, 03:21 PM
i have no idea what you're talking about ... Davis is a great post defender and most international players arent bigger than him

im saying he wont be a great post defender when he faces the likes of centers that are bigger, taller and stronger the him like marc gasol cause hes all of what i just mentioned and pau cause hes taller and bigger. Maybe when he gets bigger and stonger then he could go to usa but straight out of college where he really never had to guard any one that pushed him to limit. Ex.) remenber dwight he was hella skinny and getting pushed round by bigger centers when he was in his first couple of seasons now he got bigger and stronger and hes a beast defensivily.
The point im trying to make is i know he good but not ready yet to be on olimpics team he seams a little better than he cause he really had no competion in the bigs area in college.

jmoney85
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM
im saying he wont be a great post defender when he faces the likes of centers that are bigger, taller and stronger the him like marc gasol cause hes all of what i just mentioned and pau cause hes taller and bigger. Maybe when he gets bigger and stonger then he could go to usa but straight out of college where he really never had to guard any one that pushed him to limit. Ex.) remenber dwight he was hella skinny and getting pushed round by bigger centers when he was in his first couple of seasons now he got bigger and stronger and hes a beast defensivily.
The point im trying to make is i know he good but not ready yet to be on olimpics team he seams a little better than he cause he really had no competion in the bigs area in college.

but you have to understand that international play is nothing like the nba... only player that I can see that can push him around is marc gasol...most international 4's and 5's are soft

Infamous916
05-07-2012, 03:42 PM
I'd rather they choose somebody with a bit more experience, instead of Davis.

DR_1
05-07-2012, 04:06 PM
I hope they both make it, their games would improve tremendously from it and they are already fun to watch.

netsgiantsyanks
05-07-2012, 04:19 PM
davis deserves the shot.

leedsjay
05-07-2012, 04:30 PM
Hopefully Britain can get the silver medal behind the USA team. Luol Deng all the way. :)

LAKobeBryant
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
other than tyson chandler i think roy hibbert should get a shot as a true 7 footer centre. because when your playing international there are going to be true size positions.

SteveNash
05-07-2012, 06:49 PM
Would be an upgrade at both positions, nice.

2-ONE-5
05-07-2012, 07:13 PM
correct me if I'm wrong here but Harden and Davis were invited to TRY OUT for the team right? I think there is one more round of cuts to be made? If thats the case I dont see what all fuss is about with Davis. Im not fa of him at all but I'm ok with giving him a try out it wont hurt anything and he certainly wont be called upon to play offense if he were to make it.

As for Harden that was a no brainer

Blitzbolt
05-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Gordon or Harden are great picks. one of the 2 should make it.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
05-07-2012, 11:26 PM

Lol... so was Kenny Anderson.

If thats what your saying... then say just that. Don't say he's better then a current NBA player when you have no evidence or reasoning to back up your claim.

Raph12
05-08-2012, 02:25 AM
Bynum is going to get the Kobe-treatment done on his knee and Hibbert isn't legally allowed to play because he played for Jamaica recently... They'd have to go with Cousins or Monroe (Chandler is already on the 20-man roster), I'm guessing they decided to stay athletic and more defensive-minded at that position.

AntiG
05-08-2012, 02:33 AM
There was a college kid on the dream team, Christian Laettner. He made it over Shaq, another college kid.

They passed over Dominique Wilkins and Isiah Thomas well, both of whom should have easily made it over Chris Mullin, forget Laettner. Even Clyde Drexler barely made it in despite being the 2nd or 3rd most dominant player in the entire NBA at the time.

Raph12
05-08-2012, 04:41 AM
Would be an upgrade at both positions, nice.

Stick to your sig buddy, don't step out of line. :p

loublue22
05-08-2012, 06:09 AM
The list of 20 players who potentially can make the roster is crazy.. There are some great stars on the list. But unfortunately james harden wont make the team. These players here are locks:

Lebron James
Carmello Anthony
Kevin Durant
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Dwayne Wade
Anothony Davis- College Player Ie: Christian Laettner

Potentials

Blake Griffin
Kevin Love
LaMarcus Aldridge
Russell Westbrook?
Tyson Chandler?

Here is the list of the final 20 man roster. Who would you take off?

LaMarcus Aldridge F
Carmelo Anthony F
Chauncey Billups G
Chris Bosh F
Kobe Bryant G
Tyson Chandler C
Anthony Davis G
Kevin Durant G
Rudy Gay F
Eric Gordon G
Blake Griffin F
James Harden G
Dwight Howard C
Andre Iguodala G/F
LeBron James F
Kevin Love F
Lamar Odom F
Chris Paul G
Derrick Rose G
Dwyane Wade G
Russell Westbrook G
Deron Williams G

Obviously Rose, Dwight, LMA, Odom and Billups won't be playing.

Paul/Williams
Wade/Kobe/Harden
Lebron/Melo
Durant/Love/Bosh
Chandler/Davis

kArSoN RyDaH
05-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Bynum's stupid for not wanting to play. Damn man.

beasted86
05-08-2012, 10:50 AM

You sound more like a Knicks player hater (being a Nets fan) than someone who legitimately believes Davis can contribute more than Tyson Chandler... just my opinion.

beasted86
05-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Bynum's stupid for not wanting to play. Damn man.

And then if he gets injured in a contract year?

Don't be mad, it's very financially smart.

beasted86
05-08-2012, 11:03 AM
but you have to understand that international play is nothing like the nba... only player that I can see that can push him around is marc gasol...most international 4's and 5's are soft

Marc Gasol, Pau Gasol, Joakim Noah, Nene, Marcin Gortat, Tiago Splitter, Omer Asik, Al Horford, Anderson Varejao, Zaza Pachulia, and these are just the guys who play in the NBA who are stronger and better rebounders, and everyone I just listed there is 6'11 or taller except Horford.

And there are a lot more international players who are studs. You underestimate the talent internationally.