PDA

View Full Version : Bad injuries caused by lack of conditioning in strike-shortened season?

Sssmush
05-06-2012, 07:37 PM
I've noticed that the league is letting the first round series all play out quickly, for the most part, letting the top seeds quickly eliminate the lower seeds, and not stretching things out in order to create any exciting "fan-tastic" photo-finish must-see-TV incredible first round theatrics.

Still, the 3 absolutely devastating knee injuries in the first round + the ugly ankle injury to Joakim Noah may be showing that the players are either lacking a bit in conditioning this year or are a bit rundown from the compressed schedule and haven't had enough practice time to get totally into the groove, and aren't entirely ready for the intensity of 7 game series playoff basketball.

Chronz
05-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Your imagining things, the league isnt controlling anything.

torocan
05-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Still, the 3 absolutely devastating knee injuries in the first round + the ugly ankle injury to Joakim Noah may be showing that the players are either lacking a bit in conditioning this year or are a bit rundown from the compressed schedule and haven't had enough practice time to get totally into the groove, and aren't entirely ready for the intensity of 7 game series playoff basketball.

No training camp + reduced time for the body to recover from heavy use and minor injuries = more injuries. That's just how it works.

No training camp = poor conditioning = more injuries.

No recovery on small injuries...

= more stress compensating with uninjured parts of the body (favoring muscles or joints) = more stress on those parts of the body = more types of injuries
= prolonged healing time = compensating = more injuries
= prolonged healing time = higher risk of reinjury and exacerbating current injuries

Hard to draw a direct causal link for a compressed season vs "fluke" injuries, but I think the schedule definitely increases the probability and severity of those injuries happening, especially as the season/post-season wear on.

This compressed season lets us watch more basketball, but is brutal on the bodies of the players. i just hope we don't end too many careers over a few $$$ by the time this is over.

IndyRealist
05-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Lack of conditioning would not cause a torn ACL this late. By this point the muscles in your legs are sufficiently conditioned to reduce strain on your knee. I can see the compacted schedule and lack of rest contributing to fatigue therefore poor form, which might lead to injuries.

iam brett favre
05-06-2012, 08:10 PM
If you can't keep yourself in shape you shouldn't be a professional athlete.

heyman321
05-06-2012, 08:52 PM
I've noticed that the league is letting the first round series all play out quickly, for the most part, letting the top seeds quickly eliminate the lower seeds, and not stretching things out in order to create any exciting "fan-tastic" photo-finish must-see-TV incredible first round theatrics.

So the lockout caused Noah to land on one of the Sixer's players' feet by accident?

Six-8-TheWizard
05-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Fatigue from the lack of rest is definitely a factor. However these things could all easily have happened anyway. Example:

So the lockout caused Noah to land on one of the Sixer's players' feet by accident?

It doesnt matter how well conditioned you are, playing that many games with so little rest is going to wear you down.

Also the league is not controlling anything.

JC_
05-06-2012, 09:38 PM
One thing i've noticed is specific teams seem to be affected a lot more than others. I know a lot of injuries are flukes but the Knicks and Bulls seem to be very injury prone.

NoahH
05-06-2012, 09:48 PM
Noah's was just a regular ankle roll that happens no matter what. Not sure about the knees

eibbor
05-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Eh, no more than usual really. Just sucks it's the playoffs.

LJEATON26
05-07-2012, 09:46 AM
I read somewhere that last year there were 5 torn ACL's the entire season and that before the playoffs started this year there were only 3. Just happened to big named players at the worst times.

TRF929
05-07-2012, 10:18 AM
If anything it just put more on the coaches resting players here and there. The coaches should be aware of the possibilities and time rest accordingly. I saw few coaches doing that throughout the season, playing players normal minutes every game. I would rather have players healthy inso getting a little lower seed than having rundown players in the top seed.

Spurs are the biggest this year, caring about health over seeding and it just happened that they got the top seed while staying healthy. Parker averaging the most and thats barely over 32 minutes. Heat did it a couple times, and a couple others