PDA

View Full Version : Is PROFESSIONAL basketball still a contact sport?

KingsMadness44
05-06-2012, 05:06 PM
the title says it all.....its either a yes or a no?

now i added the third option because i'm sure a lot of people will say the refs have something to do with it.

THIS IS A BASKETBALL question not a MIAMI HEAT thread soooo please just answer the question and then give a reason and do your best to not mention specific players or teams!

KingsMadness44
05-06-2012, 05:10 PM
i feel like with the way the game is now being called any kind of contact no matter where you are on the court or if you even have the ball.

_Supreme_
05-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Basketball never was supposed to be a contact sport in the first place.

bholly
05-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Um, of course it is. Look at it. I feel like maybe you don't know what a contact sport is - even soccer is a contact sport.
There's a huge amount of contact in basketball - fighting for position inside and for rebounds, especially.

KingsMadness44
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
so what your saying is there should be no contact in basketball? and how come it's not supposed to be a contact sport?

KingsMadness44
05-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Um, of course it is. Look at it. I feel like maybe you don't know what a contact sport is - even soccer is a contact sport.
There's a huge amount of contact in basketball - fighting for position inside and for rebounds, especially.

but do you feel like in the NBA today its still a contact sport or do you think that its starting to become less and less contact?

bholly
05-06-2012, 05:25 PM
but do you feel like in the NBA today its still a contact sport or do you think that its starting to become less and less contact?

Again, look up what 'contact sport' means. They're sports where the players come into contact with each other, like soccer or basketball or American football, as opposed to sports like tennis or golf where they don't.

Players in basketball are constantly in contact with each other. All the time.

It's a contact sport.

If you want to ask whether the level of physicality has decreased then that's an entirely different question to whether it's a contact sport, and it's been done a thousand times - use the search function.

new york blue
05-06-2012, 05:28 PM
In the sense that hockey and football are contact sports, i.e., that is contact, physical intimidation, and many concussions are an accepted part of the game, then no basketball is not a contact sport.

Like soccer, it is a game where contact is a by-product of playing it, and regulating contact is a challenge. Referees call games tight or loose, depending on their own calculus. Some times they do it well; some times poorly. Personally, I like fast up-tempo ball and thus like the league's decisions to encourage that way of playing it.

Chronz
05-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Umm have you been watching the Clippers-Grizz series, its an all out war. So it really depends on the players, are they capable of being physical without blatantly fouling? If you can establish your position and body up, you can bang. If your physically weak and not in shape then your going to struggle with positioning.

_Supreme_
05-06-2012, 05:30 PM

But that never was the intention when the game was invented.

The pushing and shoving for positioning has grown into the game and is being tolerated (up to certain extent), however basically you are not allowed to touch your opponent.

bholly
05-06-2012, 05:35 PM
^^ I find that hard to believe. We can speculate to the intentions of the inventors all we want, but I find it extremely hard to believe that players weren't in contact with eachother and weren't jostling for position right from the start. It's the nature of the sport, not some new trend. It's pretty much impossible to play basketball without that sort of physicality.

Chronz
05-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Aside from its infancy Basketball was like hockey in the early stages of the game

Beltrans Mole
05-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Basketball is a tough sport...tougher than people give it credit. It's non-stop moving, jumping, running, pushing, etc. I'm sure it's hard as hell playing a regular 82 game schedule when the game is this physical. I wish the refs would let them play more but that's just the NBA now.

TopsyTurvy
05-06-2012, 07:23 PM
You obviously have never played the game, or if you have - you never tried to grab a rebound or gain post position.

Wade>You
05-06-2012, 07:41 PM
It's a finesse sport that allows for certain amounts of contact. James Naismith would be sick if he saw what the NBA turned his sport into.

HYFR
05-06-2012, 08:30 PM
Honestly it really juss depends on how the refs call a game. One game they let them play, the next its called very tight. It is a contact sport tho