PDA

View Full Version : Did Cuban Make A Mistake

JasonJohnHorn
05-06-2012, 09:46 AM
For years the Mavs have been posting 50 wins a season or better, and for years they seemed so close to winning a championship. But they were always missing one piece: A defensive minded center that can rebound. They has been a revoloving door of over-paid centers in Dallas, and the Mavs have even let some important pieces go (Michael Findley and Steve Nash) that they might use that money to over-pay some less-than-stellar center to clog the lane. Then in the summer of 2010 they finally got the piece they needed in Tyson Chandler. The result? An NBA championship. Then 2011 rolled around and when it was time to discuss a contract with Chandler, Mark Cuban decline and traded away the defensive anchor of his championship team for a trade exception that allowed Cuban to bring in Lamar Odom (and we all know how well that worked out).

Now I realize that Cuban had his sites set on clearing cap space to chase after the likes of D-Will and Dwight Howard, but it seems to me that Cuban essentially gave up on the 2011/2012 season and blatantly put a team on the court that had no hope of defending their championship. In fact, the Mavs struggled just to make it into the post season where they were promptly swept out of the first round.

So the question is, did Cuban make a mistake by letting Chandler go? Or was capspace more important to the team's long-term success?

KnicksorBust
05-06-2012, 09:53 AM
You spend hundreds of millions of dollars and a decade of your life building a team into a champion and then you finally win a title and you let one of your top 3 most important players go? It's a joke. Winning back to back championships builds a legacy that he gave up on. I don't respect that.

heyman321
05-06-2012, 09:57 AM
He should've re-signed Chandler AND Barea. Dirk was talking about how Dallas has no one outside of him that could "go off" at any time. Sadly enough, JJ Barea was one of those guys in last years playoffs. He pretty much torched every team with his penetration and 3 pt shooting. And of course.... Chandler is the center that could defend the rim and catch lobs, unlike Haywood who is a useless piece of ****.

Swashcuff
05-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Well there were Mavs fans who said Tyson wasn't the catalyst to them winning the title and he really didn't play that big of a role so I guess Cuban may have had the same trend of thought.

I don't even think this is a question of hindsight TBH. If he could have had Chandler back that should have been is #1 priority, maybe Cuban knows something we don't. Maybe Deron is really going to Dallas (the only saving grace for them out of all of this IMO). If that's the case then would we still say he made a mistake?

nycericanguy
05-06-2012, 10:11 AM
What I never understood was, why didn't DAL take back Billups in a S&T for Chandler?

It would have been a win-win. NY saves their amnesty, and DAL gets a proven vet that can score 20 any given night. Billups/Kidd would have been a great PG duo IMO.

DRose7
05-06-2012, 10:22 AM
too early to say...just wait and see what does in the offseason...no need to jump the gun yet

da ThRONe
05-06-2012, 10:32 AM
I really don't think that even with JJ and Tyson Dallas would be title contenders this year. He has a chance to do something special this year with signing a home town star in Williams. He also thought Howard would be available this offseason. Even if they aren't able to sign Williams in 2012, 2013 will be a year with a lot of big name unrestricted free agents.

I think it's better to be progressive and set up for the future. Especially considering that last year team was probably the 4th or 5th best team in the west this year anyways.

mzgrizz
05-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Been thinking all year long that letting Chandler go was a huge mistake.
JJ was good for Dallas but not the long term replacement for Kidd IMO.

dhopisthename
05-06-2012, 10:44 AM
of course it all depends on who they get this offseason, but even with chandler with an barea I think most agree that last year was just a perfect timing thing and I don't think they could have won it again.

kdspurman
05-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Definitely did. But he's a risk taker. Dallas isn't exactly a hot free agent place to play.

They might end up having to sign a bunch of old vets and being even older next year.

da ThRONe
05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
I could see Dallas bringing Nash back for a 2 or 3 year deal if the Williams push falls short.

ChiSox219
05-06-2012, 10:58 AM
No doubt in my mind Cuban made the right move.

h2r09
05-06-2012, 11:18 AM
he made a great move if he has a plan, which he does. good to see an owner operating on a long term plan rather than a 1 year at a time. chandler isn't worth the ridiculous money per year he is getting. if he thinks he can create a big 3 with williams, dirk, and one other guy this offseason, he should do it.

the league would be a better place if teams operated with the business smarts that cuban does.

Evolution23
05-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Knicks offered Chandler more money so naturally he took that. I thought it was disrespectful to not pay your top center after he just won a championship.

h2r09
05-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Knicks offered Chandler more money so naturally he took that. I thought it was disrespectful to not pay your top center after he just won a championship.

chandlers impact doesn't = 14 million per year. at most he should be paid 10 million. winning a championship does not give you the creedence to overpay anyone who helps you win it.

tredigs
05-06-2012, 11:40 AM
You want an analysis of his decision before we even see what they pull off in free agency? C'mon dude - Ask again in 12 months. By then this will be a relevant discussion.

blastmasta26
05-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I think signing Chandler and Barea would've taken up too much money, and he opted for a long term solution via FA. However, I don't see Deron going to Dallas and with Dirk only having a couple of seasons left, it's a questionable decision.

tyfreaks brotha
05-06-2012, 11:47 AM
You spend hundreds of millions of dollars and a decade of your life building a team into a champion and then you finally win a title and you let one of your top 3 most important players go? It's a joke. Winning back to back championships builds a legacy that he gave up on. I don't respect that. I don't think I could've said it better

boolish
05-06-2012, 11:48 AM
his was no mistake. he rolled the dice. See he is playing with HOUSE MONEY. They won it last year. So he didn't need to win this year. He is trying to set his team up for the next run. He doesn't want to go through what CHI went through after Jordan. He wants to stay at the top. He knew his team wasn't as good as last year. So what.

shep33
05-06-2012, 12:01 PM
You can't judge these moves yet. What if they pick up Deron Williams next year?

mdm692
05-06-2012, 12:01 PM
He messed up by letting half of the team go and keeping a bunch of old guys in the roste and for what? To bring dwight and deron? In the end he had a good plan had it not been for the fact that dwight and d-will basically made it public they plan on teaming up in BK. So overall in the long run they let go of barea, stevenson, butler, chandler for carter, odom, and west so yeah he ****ed up.

netsgiantsyanks
05-06-2012, 12:03 PM
he's going all in for d-will.

Shareeb_omac2
05-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Even if the Mavs re-signed all those guys, the odds of repeating were slim. The Mavs are thinking long term and giving Barea, Stevenson, and Chandler(a bunch of role players) big contracts would screw them financially, up until the point Dirk decides to retire. They would be left with a bunch of old role players and no Dirk.

If the Mavs are able to pull off landing Deron Williams and/or Dwight Howad then they reopen their window of opportunity for the next 10 years, and still have money to spend.

Hugbees
05-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Still Tbd. If they can get dwill this season or Dwight then it was the right thing to do.

MVP20
05-06-2012, 12:24 PM
It wasnt the best decision but in the end I would have done the same, there's no wayyy im paying that much for Chandler, and 4 yrs 22M for Barea? He can leave. They coulda and shoulda brought back Stevenson for cheap. But in the end this was the best decision for the franchise.

Young2Kinsler
05-06-2012, 12:27 PM
As a Mavs fan, it hurt to let Tyson Chandler walk. I have gone back and forth on whether we should have resigned him, and a lot of days I think we should have. But when I put the emotions aside, Cuban made the right move, regardless of who they pick up in free agency just this year.

Chandler is a great big man, the best we have ever had, but he was not worth strangling this franchise financially for the next 5-6 seasons. I can admit that when Dallas won the title, things fell perfectly into place, and it was a magical run. That being said, I don't even know with Chandler if we were true contenders this year. Maybe so, but we would be stuck with this same old roster for years to come.

Mark Cuban is smart, I think we all know that. In ONE simple offseason, he went from being one of the biggest payers in luxury tax, to one of the teams with the most cap space and flexibility in the NBA. Cuban saw what the new CBA was and knew that he could not continue to operate as he did in the past.

People say you have to wait and see who Dallas signs, but it's not true. It was the right move for the franchise in the long run, period.

Raph12
05-06-2012, 12:27 PM
If the Mavs get DWill in the offseason and another big name in 2013; Cuban, Dirk and the whole Mavs squad will laugh about this... Cuban knows his team wasn't prime for consecutive title wins and started looking towards the future, like a good owner should.

Young2Kinsler
05-06-2012, 12:29 PM
It wasnt the best decision but in the end I would have done the same, there's no wayyy im paying that much for Chandler, and 4 yrs 22M for Barea? He can leave. They coulda and shoulda brought back Stevenson for cheap. But in the end this was the best decision for the franchise.

Exactly. HAD to let Barea walk for that money, Chandler would have been great to keep, but just too much(Cuban did offer him a 1 year, 20 million dollar deal which he turned down, but he could have stayed a year, and then this offseason were we not to land a big like we were thinking in Dwight then maybe Chandler gets his extension)

Stevenson I would have LOVED to bring back instead of a waste like Carter, but o well.

BALKIS2K12
05-06-2012, 12:56 PM
didnt VINCE CARTER get BAREA type money? & what did he bring to the team in the playoffs?

RaiderLakersA's
05-06-2012, 01:07 PM
If the Mavs get DWill in the offseason and another big name in 2013; Cuban, Dirk and the whole Mavs squad will laugh about this... Cuban knows his team wasn't prime for consecutive title wins and started looking towards the future, like a good owner should.

I honestly don't see them getting DWill or any other superstar. Dallas as a franchise and a location is not the attractive destination that people think. The ideal formula for Dallas would be to look for players that are on the cusp of greatness to fill their roster. Or hope they luck out and pick up a potential star in the draft.

BALKIS2K12
05-06-2012, 01:14 PM
i honestly don't see them getting dwill or any other superstar. Dallas as a franchise and a location is not the attractive destination that people think. The ideal formula for dallas would be to look for players that are on the cusp of greatness to fill their roster. Or hope they luck out and pick up a potential star in the draft.

exactly who wants to play for an owner who will send you packing after you win a title bc he doesn't wanna spend any money?

rickshaw
05-06-2012, 01:20 PM
exactly who wants to play for an owner who will send you packing after you win a title bc he doesn't wanna spend any money?

He doesn't want to overpay aging/overrated players. Giving Barea and Chandler those deals would be dumb, regardless of them winning a championship. They got their rings, and it's still a business.

BALKIS2K12
05-06-2012, 01:22 PM
he doesn't want to overpay aging/overrated players. Giving barea and chandler those deals would be dumb, regardless of them winning a championship. They got their rings, and it's still a business.

only one who will be looking dumb in the next 5 years will be mark cuban bank on that brother.

D12 fan
05-06-2012, 01:23 PM
I guess he will overpay for the vets this summer Nash,KG,Allen,etc.

justinnum1
05-06-2012, 01:24 PM
chandlers impact doesn't = 14 million per year. at most he should be paid 10 million. winning a championship does not give you the creedence to overpay anyone who helps you win it.

I think his impact is worth 14mil. He just won dpoy.

rickshaw
05-06-2012, 01:28 PM
only one who will be looking dumb in the next 5 years will be mark cuban bank on that brother.

His plan was to clear up cap room for this summer and next. You're judging it before it's even over. Not signing Chandler and Barea is worth waiting a year or two for DWill, Howard, CP3. Rewarding guys with unreasonable contracts for winning a title is how you don't win more titles.

h2r09
05-06-2012, 01:29 PM
I think his impact is worth 14mil. He just won dpoy.

he is useless offensively. he shoots a high percentage but you can't run anything through him offensively, and you can't spend 14 million on that. that has to be a guy who can play both sides of the ball or you better have some damn good players on the team. he is worth 10 million at the most.
cuban made the right move not paying him big money.

he is a great, impact defender, no doubt. but not worth that close to the max.

BKLYNpigeon
05-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Cuban has been a great owner. He took a crappy Mavricks Franchise and won an NBA Championship. Not many new owners have ever done that. He's aggressive and a risk taker.

I dont think this season was a flop for Mavericks. they did what they could. Odom was a miss. They couldnt resign Chandler at 14mil per. they didnt want to resign Bararea because they have Boubouis. They didnt want to commit long term to older guys. after this season they have a max contract to offer. if they can land Deron, that would be HUGE.

h2r09
05-06-2012, 01:30 PM

he should have payed barea the max.

justinnum1
05-06-2012, 01:32 PM
he is useless offensively. he shoots a high percentage but you can't run anything through him offensively, and you can't spend 14 million on that. that has to be a guy who can play both sides of the ball or you better have some damn good players on the team. he is worth 10 million at the most.
cuban made the right move not paying him big money.

he is a great, impact defender, no doubt. but not worth that close to the max.

The mavs do. They are contenders with chandler and, well, we see what happened to them without him.

BKLYNpigeon
05-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Even with Chandler and Barea, I dont think Mavs would have won the title this season.

The Only Mistake Cuban made was to not resign Steve Nash.

h2r09
05-06-2012, 01:36 PM
The mavs do. They are contenders with chandler and, well, we see what happened to them without him.

you give chandler huge money then dirk declines and you have a way overpaid center and a bad team. cuban wants to create a dynasty, not a declining team.

if they gave chandler that contract they would be the equivalent of the lakers in 2 years without andrew bynum.

if he thinks he can get williams and maybe dwight, he made the right move.

BALKIS2K12
05-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Cuban has been a great owner. He took a crappy Mavricks Franchise and won an NBA Championship. Not many new owners have ever done that. He's aggressive and a risk taker.

I dont think this season was a flop for Mavericks. they did what they could. Odom was a miss. They couldnt resign Chandler at 14mil per. they didnt want to resign Bararea because they have Boubouis. They didnt want to commit long term to older guys. after this season they have a max contract to offer. if they can land Deron, that would be HUGE.

dude you lose all credibility when you try to compare a guys name you cant even spell right in beabouis. dude please dont do that again.

beabouis is a bonafied scrub who cant even come off the bench before west or terry bc he has a b-ball iq of a 2nd grader.

BALKIS2K12
05-06-2012, 01:39 PM
he should have payed barea the max.

no doubt my man no doubt.

It'sMyTime
05-06-2012, 01:43 PM
He should have tried to keep chandler, however, i do not think it was worth the asking price. At most, with Chandler, Dallas could make 2 more runs at a title, very challenging runs at the title. This way Dallas can get a star player and a supporting cast for the many years to come.

h2r09
05-06-2012, 01:43 PM
no doubt my man no doubt.

you can't be serious right now. bare is an average to above average pg. he isn't a game changer.

Eagles4Lyfe
05-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Well there were Mavs fans who said Tyson wasn't the catalyst to them winning the title and he really didn't play that big of a role so I guess Cuban may have had the same trend of thought.

I don't even think this is a question of hindsight TBH. If he could have had Chandler back that should have been is #1 priority, maybe Cuban knows something we don't. Maybe Deron is really going to Dallas (the only saving grace for them out of all of this IMO). If that's the case then would we still say he made a mistake?

Still isn't what would put them over the top over teams like the thunder.
I dont even get what they think they'll get out of a Deron+Dirk combo,its nice but I don't think they can get a title out of that cause their going to lose so much of their defense.
Their core right now is essentially Marion+Dirk and their building around that. It's basically a putting all the eggs in one basket type move because what happens in a year or 2 once Marion etc is practically done

BALKIS2K12
05-06-2012, 01:49 PM
you can't be serious right now. Bare is an average to above average pg. He isn't a game changer.

we got a 13 game sample size last year of barea.

16.8 p.p.g. & 9.8 a.p.g.

& with minny likely to let luke walk & with rubio coming off a severe acl tear look-out for barea again!!!

Some say rubio might even miss the whole year next season.

ManningToTyree
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
ask me after free agency

h2r09
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM

16.8 p.p.g. & 9.8 a.p.g.

& with minny likely to let luke walk & with rubio coming off a severe acl tear look-out for barea again!!!

jerome james had 13 and 8 in 11 game sample size. he was also crappy the rest of his career.

the rest of the sample size of barea's shows he is an average and inconsistent point guard.

JasonJohnHorn
05-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Even if Dallas were to get D-Will... what would become of that? D-Will has been in a shooting slump since he came to NJ. What makes anybody think that he will start shooting the ball well just because he has Dirk to pass to? And how long will that pairing last? Dirk is already entering the twilight of his career.

If Cuban had re-signed Chandler he would at least have a trading piece when Howard goes back on hte block this offseason. Now he's got nothing to offer Orlando. And if he was that concerned about clearing cap space, why didn't he just trade Dirk for expiring contracts and draft picks?

Had Cuban kept Chanlder, this seasons would have been drastically different. Maybe let JJ go, but JJ, Stevenson and Butler on top of Chandler? Just keeping Chandler would have been enough to get some vets to sign for the league min. to play on a contender. And it would have given the Mavs, not only a shot at repeating, but would also give them trading pieces to work a deal for Howard or D-Will.

If D-Will and Dirk are paired up, there is still going to be a glaring hole in the middle, and that core will not compete for a title.

Orlando is not going to let Dwight go for nothing at this point. They know that he's bolting for sure now and will move him to the team that offers the most. Cuban will be left holding the bag hoping that D-Will and Dwight make it to free agency and that he can buy a championship, but there are some big ifs. When NY and Miami were clearing cap space to go after big name free agents, they had $#!TTY teams and were taking a gamble on a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs anyways. Both teams improved because of it. But Cuban wasn't taking gambles with a team that was in the lottery pool, he was taking risks on a team that was a championship team. And as a result he's got to hope that the Nets don't make a deal with Orlando that lands them Dwight and gets D-Will to re-sign. Cuban put himself in a situation where his team takes a HUGE step back, and then has to hope that other teams fail in order for him to even get a crack as signing these guys, and there's nothing saying that D-Will won't work a sign-and-trade with LA to play there, or even work one out with NY, or stay with the Nets and team up with Dwight if the Nets can work that trade.

Cuban took apart a championship team so he can stand on the sidelines and hope things work out well for him.

h2r09
05-06-2012, 02:10 PM
and get out of here with barea carrying them to a championship. he averaged 9 points and 3 assists in the playoffs last year and shot awful percentages.

justinnum1
05-06-2012, 02:13 PM
you give chandler huge money then dirk declines and you have a way overpaid center and a bad team. cuban wants to create a dynasty, not a declining team.

if they gave chandler that contract they would be the equivalent of the lakers in 2 years without andrew bynum.

if he thinks he can get williams and maybe dwight, he made the right move.

they are not getting both

h2r09
05-06-2012, 02:14 PM
either one is better than chandler.

NokomisLiving
05-06-2012, 02:33 PM

16.8 p.p.g. & 9.8 a.p.g.

You are making things up.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/minnesota-timberwolves/luke-ridnour/

Luke is under contract next season, he will not be walking. If anything he could be a piece in a trade, and same goes for Barea.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/aclinjury/f/rehabtime.htm

7 to 9 nines months of rehab. I've seen 6 to 9 as well. That leaves a return for Rubio anywhere in the neighborhood of September to December, maybe even January at the worst. He won't miss the whole season.

Balkis was banned from the Twolves forum for exactly what he is starting in this thread. His love for Barea makes him unreasonable, pay no attention.

BALKIS2K12
05-06-2012, 02:56 PM
You are making things up.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/minnesota-timberwolves/luke-ridnour/

Luke is under contract next season, he will not be walking. If anything he could be a piece in a trade, and same goes for Barea.

http://orthopedics.about.com/od/aclinjury/f/rehabtime.htm

7 to 9 nines months of rehab. I've seen 6 to 9 as well. That leaves a return for Rubio anywhere in the neighborhood of September to December, maybe even January at the worst. He won't miss the whole season.

Balkis was banned from the Twolves forum for exactly what he is starting in this thread. His love for Barea makes him unreasonable, pay no attention.

I thought luke was a free agent??

rubio would be an idiot to come back early ask roddy beabouis & grant hill & numerous of ex nba players who did.

BAREA was the only T-WOLVE with BALLS to call out the OWNER & THE PLAYERS & hes only been there a year. if he does i wont be pissed bc minny front office is STR8TRASH anyways. I'd love for him to be traded to a WINNER & get another ring.

Bruno
05-06-2012, 05:06 PM
no chandler no ring. most fans knew this since the day he signed with NYK.

DR_1
05-06-2012, 05:25 PM
You spend hundreds of millions of dollars and a decade of your life building a team into a champion and then you finally win a title and you let one of your top 3 most important players go? It's a joke. Winning back to back championships builds a legacy that he gave up on. I don't respect that.

He's also looking ahead long-term though. When Dirk couldn't handle the offensive load anymore that team would suck for awhile. Now they can retool around D-Will (if they get him) instead of rebuild.

Young2Kinsler
05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
Even if Dallas were to get D-Will... what would become of that? D-Will has been in a shooting slump since he came to NJ. What makes anybody think that he will start shooting the ball well just because he has Dirk to pass to? And how long will that pairing last? Dirk is already entering the twilight of his career.

If Cuban had re-signed Chandler he would at least have a trading piece when Howard goes back on hte block this offseason. Now he's got nothing to offer Orlando. And if he was that concerned about clearing cap space, why didn't he just trade Dirk for expiring contracts and draft picks?

Had Cuban kept Chanlder, this seasons would have been drastically different. Maybe let JJ go, but JJ, Stevenson and Butler on top of Chandler? Just keeping Chandler would have been enough to get some vets to sign for the league min. to play on a contender. And it would have given the Mavs, not only a shot at repeating, but would also give them trading pieces to work a deal for Howard or D-Will.

If D-Will and Dirk are paired up, there is still going to be a glaring hole in the middle, and that core will not compete for a title.

Orlando is not going to let Dwight go for nothing at this point. They know that he's bolting for sure now and will move him to the team that offers the most. Cuban will be left holding the bag hoping that D-Will and Dwight make it to free agency and that he can buy a championship, but there are some big ifs. When NY and Miami were clearing cap space to go after big name free agents, they had $#!TTY teams and were taking a gamble on a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs anyways. Both teams improved because of it. But Cuban wasn't taking gambles with a team that was in the lottery pool, he was taking risks on a team that was a championship team. And as a result he's got to hope that the Nets don't make a deal with Orlando that lands them Dwight and gets D-Will to re-sign. Cuban put himself in a situation where his team takes a HUGE step back, and then has to hope that other teams fail in order for him to even get a crack as signing these guys, and there's nothing saying that D-Will won't work a sign-and-trade with LA to play there, or even work one out with NY, or stay with the Nets and team up with Dwight if the Nets can work that trade.

Cuban took apart a championship team so he can stand on the sidelines and hope things work out well for him.

Even if Dallas doesn't get Williams, it is the right move. The way the Mavs used to operate simply won't work under this CBA. Had the Mavs signed Chandler, they would have been handcuffed for 5-6 years. It is not worth ****ing up your cap for half a decade for a player like Chandler. Good player, not an all star, damn sure not a superstar.

JJ_JKidd
05-07-2012, 06:39 AM
The roster is aging. The core of the group was:

Kidd
Dirk
Marion
Terry

and the guys that they refused to resign were:

JJ
Chandler

Does these 2 ^^ seriously be considered as THE FUTURE for the Mavs?

But oh well, if he fails to sign Deron AND Dwight, it is indeed a mistake. :facepalm:

RaiderLakersA's
05-07-2012, 11:44 AM
no chandler no ring. most fans knew this since the day he signed with NYK.

True, true.

I'm always amazed at how people today diminish the importance of the 5 position. How many years did Dallas go without a legitimate big and suffered for it? What about Phoenix? All championship caliber teams that just needed that one key piece. Pairing Dirk with Deron isn't going to work. They better go balls out for D. Howard, because that is the only way to get back to the promised land.

JordansBulls
05-07-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't think they would have gotten by OKC this year any way so why give up that much money for someone like Chandler?

Kashmir13579
05-07-2012, 11:51 AM
See what happens in FA first.

ddhulett
05-07-2012, 12:06 PM
Easy to go either way on this one.

Timing of the Championship was the biggest thing. Cuban and Nelson had a plan to have cap space for the first time since Cuban's owned the Mavs. It so happen that we won the Championship for the first time at that point.

Mavs core wasn't getting any younger

Only time will tell if it was a good idea

OKC and other up and coming teams are only getting better so we had to adjust.

smith&wesson
05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
For years the Mavs have been posting 50 wins a season or better, and for years they seemed so close to winning a championship. But they were always missing one piece: A defensive minded center that can rebound. They has been a revoloving door of over-paid centers in Dallas, and the Mavs have even let some important pieces go (Michael Findley and Steve Nash) that they might use that money to over-pay some less-than-stellar center to clog the lane. Then in the summer of 2010 they finally got the piece they needed in Tyson Chandler. The result? An NBA championship. Then 2011 rolled around and when it was time to discuss a contract with Chandler, Mark Cuban decline and traded away the defensive anchor of his championship team for a trade exception that allowed Cuban to bring in Lamar Odom (and we all know how well that worked out).

Now I realize that Cuban had his sites set on clearing cap space to chase after the likes of D-Will and Dwight Howard, but it seems to me that Cuban essentially gave up on the 2011/2012 season and blatantly put a team on the court that had no hope of defending their championship. In fact, the Mavs struggled just to make it into the post season where they were promptly swept out of the first round.

So the question is, did Cuban make a mistake by letting Chandler go? Or was capspace more important to the team's long-term success?

yes!!!

ive been saying this for a while now. chandler was the perfect C to play along side a finess powerforward like dirk.

chandler was def the xfactor in the mavs championship run.

cuban messed up big time there. waiting another year and allowing dirk to get another year old was a mistake. no doubt!!

smith&wesson
05-07-2012, 12:14 PM
I don't think they would have gotten by OKC this year any way so why give up that much money for someone like Chandler?

perhaps you didnt watch the series. even though it was a sweap, each game was determined by very few points. chandler would def have made a huge difference in that series imo. game 1 & 2 were determind by a total of 4 points.

RiLoc
05-07-2012, 12:21 PM
The new CBA put the Mavs in a difficult position and I don't think Cuban can be blamed for trying to lay down a new strategy. To that end, it's difficult to judge a strategy that hasn't played out.

That being said, to maximize Notwitzki's potential, Dirk needs a center that holds down the fort around the rim. My opinion is that even if the Mavs acquire DWill, if the Mavs do not acquire another center to fill that role in some capacity then the Mavs will have lost their chances at winning another title.

chandlers impact doesn't = 14 million per year. at most he should be paid 10 million. winning a championship does not give you the creedence to overpay anyone who helps you win it.I agree, but 7 footers who are relatively athletic and can defend the rim get paid. Every team needs that type of player and there is always a team that is willing to pay. The reality is even the Mavs lost against the Heat, Chandler was going to get paid. If you compare 7 foot centers, their skill sets and their salaries; Chandler isn't overpaid.

didnt VINCE CARTER get BAREA type money? & what did he bring to the team in the playoffs?Only one year of Carter's contract is guaranteed.

JordansBulls
05-07-2012, 12:22 PM
perhaps you didnt watch the series. even though it was a sweap, each game was determined by very few points. chandler would def have made a huge difference in that series imo. game 1 & 2 were determind by a total of 4 points.

Whether it was close or not, it was a sweep. Dallas could have taken them 7 with Chandler, but like I said they still would have lost to OKC.

central2003
05-07-2012, 12:35 PM
It was not only chandler who helped them win a championship. He was a big part of that Championship team but not the only reason why they won, Dallas had one of the most deepest benches in NBA. When you factor in Chandler ALONG WITH JJ, Deshawn Stevenson, and Peja. Thats a lot of help and makes your bench more talented.

Stinkyoutsider
05-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Cuban did the right thing but it might totally blow up in his face...

He's got to get Williams. He probably thought he could grab both Williams and Howard, but I think he changed the plan after Howard had surgery on his back and threw away his opt out for this offseason.

king2218
05-07-2012, 01:00 PM
If Cuban can somehow manage to get a top 15 1st round pick in this year's draft & get a Batum or Gordon to sign with him...Maybe then he can explore a trading Batum/Gordon, Beaubois, the 1st rd pick for Howard, Turk, Duhon.

LTBaByyy
05-07-2012, 01:26 PM
Chandler makes 14 million a year! That's crazy if you think we should have signed him

Defensive centers shouldn't get that much if their name isn't Bynum or Howard

We would have been in cap space hell in a couple years haha

Now we have good options

Ebbs
05-07-2012, 02:10 PM
It sucks but I even felt we made the right move and I really wanted to win back2back. The team is hurting it's so old. Dirk played well the second half of the season but his first half of the season was the worst I've seen since his rookie year.

We needed to make a big move and go after a starr like Deron/Dwight because otherwise we would have a bunch of veterans locked in aging together.