PDA

View Full Version : Worst Sweep of a Defending Champion past 25 years?

JordansBulls
05-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Worst Sweep of a Defending Champion past 25 years?

1991 Bulls sweep the 2x defending champion Pistons in the ECF
1996 Sonics sweep the 2x defending champion Rockets in WCSF
2007 Bulls sweep the defending champion Heat in ECQF
2011 Mavericks sweep the 2x defending champion LA Lakers in WCSF
2012 Thunder sweep the defending champion Mavericks in WCQF

hail2skins4life
05-05-2012, 11:38 PM
i have to say the mavs over lakers. i mean that was just embarassing.

and this years sweep wasnt that bad. it really shouldnt have been a sweep. i thought dallas was gonna win the series at one point. i mean in both game 1 and 2 dallas had the lead late in the fourth and had open threes that they missed that would have served as the dagger. but they werent clutch enough.

really poor play down the stretch lost dallas games 1, 2, and 4

Knicks21
05-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Mavs over Lakers, Dallas was very competitive in OKC. The Lakers just flat out collapsed, Dallas annihilated them by the 3 ball.

Cal827
05-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Tough call over the last two options for me...

1. The Lakers were killed by the Mavs last year, however... they had won the past 2 titles, and were able to get by the first round.

2. Dallas fought very hard, but it seems that lack of young talent just caught up with them.

I think I'm leaning towards the former, just because of how humiliating the last games of that series were for the Lakers.

Chronz
05-06-2012, 12:18 AM
Not sure what to go by, they were all a byproduct of not being the same caliber of team facing superior talent.

Ebbs
05-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Dallas chose to make moves that hindered us from seriously competing. And games 1 and 2 of this Thunder series were hard fought.

We **** all over the Lakers last yer. They went in the favorites and were attempting a 3 peat. We aren't even close to the favorites tyhis year.

LakersIn5
05-06-2012, 12:49 AM
yeah the lakers getting swept last year was brutal but people are acting that they got dominated every game which in fact the lakers could have won games 1,2 and 3. it was only in game 4 where they got blown out.

mvb815
05-06-2012, 12:54 AM
i wouldn't rate that the worst sweep, i still thought that matchup was one of the best of the first round

TylerSL
05-06-2012, 01:09 AM
I would have to say Mavs over Lakers in 2011

shep33
05-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah probably the Lakers, but I mean they were trying to go to 4 straight Finals, so there was a lot of wear and tear there. Only team to go to 4 straight Finals in the past 3 decades were the Celtics in the 1980s.

They looked tired as ****, but like others have said they were humiliated.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Yeah probably the Lakers, but I mean they were trying to go to 4 straight Finals, so there was a lot of wear and tear there. Only team to go to 4 straight Finals in the past 3 decades were the Celtics in the 1980s.

They looked tired as ****, but like others have said they were humiliated.

Showtime Lakers always went to 4 straight finals.

82-beat Philly
83-lost to Philly
84-lost to Boston
85-beat Boston

shep33
05-06-2012, 01:15 AM
You know what I'm changing mine from Lakers to Heat. That Heat team lost in the first round right? Still had Shaq (old but still pretty decent) and D-Wade (even though he was banged up), you'd think they'd win one game in the first round.

shep33
05-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Showtime Lakers always went to 4 straight finals.

82-beat Philly
83-lost to Philly
84-lost to Boston
85-beat Boston

Ah right right thanks KB. Your always spot on brotha!

JordansBulls
05-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I think it is the Lakers as every analyst picked them over Dallas and also the Lakers had HCA and the better point differential and SRS rating. But even so how would you rank the 5 sweeps in order?

ne3xchamps
05-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Mavs/lakers from last year. Coming off back 2 back ships and then get beat down is crazy.

I thought the mavs would have won at least 1 or 2 games against the thunder, that series was nuts.

KnicksorBust
05-06-2012, 09:49 AM
The worst is a healthy champion losing in round 1.

todu82
05-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Mavs over Lakers in 2011.

JasonJohnHorn
05-06-2012, 10:51 AM
I think its the Mavs this year, because it is a first round sweep. When the Pistons got swept in 91, at least they made it to the conference finals. Last year the Lakers made to the second round. These teams actaully won games in the playoffs, this Dallas team failed to even win one game and barely even got into the playoffs. But the Bulls sweeping the Heat is a close second.

RaiderLakersA's
05-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Too soon to tell.

If OKC goes on to win the championship, it's no big deal that Dallas got swept.

But if OKC does nothing, then that is the biggest collapse of a champion IMO. To get swept in the first round speaks volumes about anyone, let alone the championship defending team.

RaiderLakersA's
05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
I think its the Mavs this year, because it is a first round sweep. When the Pistons got swept in 91, at least they made it to the conference finals. Last year the Lakers made to the second round. These teams actaully won games in the playoffs, this Dallas team failed to even win one game and barely even got into the playoffs. But the Bulls sweeping the Heat is a close second.

This man gets it.

Baller1
05-06-2012, 01:23 PM
The Lakers for sure.

hail2skins4life
05-06-2012, 03:26 PM

the lakers got out of the first round last year playing the new orleans hornets. the mavs lost to a legit title contender that alot of ppl have winning it all. and they were in every single game except 3. thunder got very lucky in game 1, and also pretty lucky in 2

thunder did not dominate the mavs

the mavs absolutely dominated and humiliated the lakers in every way

S & B Bleeder
05-06-2012, 04:15 PM
This poll shows the TRUE idiocy of many here on this forum.

1. The 2011 Lakers had the lead through and ALMOST won games 1, 2, and 3. Game 4 was the ONLY blowout.

2. Kobe was literally playing on 1 knee after being bone to bone on the other one all year long and not being able to practice ONCE all season long due to it. Here is the link to the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant-grateful-for-chance-to-chase-another-title.html;_ylt=AoDqD03Jkc4iAIsoVmTO5Nm8vLYF

3. We had been to 3 straight Finals, which is incredibly rough on any team (Many of the past 3-peating Bulls and Laker players have confirmed this). Basically, you've played a full season more than everyone else.

4. We thumped the Chris Paul Hornets and got to the second round.

The Mav's getting torched this year by the exact SAME team they beat last year is by far the worst. They didnt win 1 damn playoff game in thier so called "Title Defense" :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

What a JOKE of a "Champion" that flash in the pan team turned out to be.

RaiderLakersA's
05-06-2012, 04:46 PM
This poll shows the TRUE idiocy of many here on this forum.

1. The 2011 Lakers had the lead through and ALMOST won games 1, 2, and 3. Game 4 was the ONLY blowout.

2. Kobe was literally playing on 1 knee after being bone to bone on the other one all year long and not being able to practice ONCE all season long due to it. Here is the link to the article: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant-grateful-for-chance-to-chase-another-title.html;_ylt=AoDqD03Jkc4iAIsoVmTO5Nm8vLYF

3. We had been to 3 straight Finals, which is incredibly rough on any team (Many of the past 3-peating Bulls and Laker players have confirmed this). Basically, you've played a full season more than everyone else.

4. We thumped the Chris Paul Hornets and got to the second round.

The Mav's getting torched this year by the exact SAME team they beat last year is by far the worst. They didnt win 1 damn playoff game in thier so called "Title Defense" :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

What a JOKE of a "Champion" that flash in the pan team turned out to be.

Well said.

But the responses are to be expected. Laker hate + myopia + selective amnesia is strong on PSD forum.

Bruno
05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
one of the first round sweeps, by default.