PDA

View Full Version : why did the Heat got swept in 2007??

ayuntalo
05-05-2012, 08:28 PM
I just saw on TV of recent champs that got Swept the following year.
I saw miami was swept on the FIRST ROUND!
so i searched it, and i was surprised. Shaq and Wade was getting their numbers.
first I thought Shaq was injured thats why it was a different team, but to my surprise he played all 4 games.

can some one tell me why they lost to the Bulls back then??
I like that baby bulls team back then, (Gordon, Hinrich, Deng, Nocioni, etc)
but how and why did the Heat lost in 4??

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
Because their players like Shaq, Payton, Walker, Williams, Zo were all old and slow. They were content with their 06 title and were basically a one-hit wonder ball club, much like the Mavs of 2012.

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Cause flop wade didnt get his 40 FTs

justinnum1
05-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Because their players like Shaq, Payton, Walker, Williams, Zo were all old and slow. They were content with their 06 title and were basically a one-hit wonder ball club, much like the Mavs of 2012.

this

Ezio
05-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Because Deng went ham on the Heat. That's why he got that huge extension. Hinrich also harassed Wade throughout the series.

ManningToTyree
05-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Because Wade only played like Wade, not like Jordan like he did in 06.

MTL_123
05-05-2012, 08:41 PM

This. They were on their championship high basically the whole year

PhillyFaninLA
05-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I like it when these topics are recent and topical.

On similar lines why did Oregon beat Ohio State in 1939 to win the college basketball championship?

JC_
05-05-2012, 08:43 PM

On similar lines why did Oregon beat Ohio State in 1939 to win the college basketball championship?

That's a very good question.

Hangtime
05-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Wade was also coming off various injuries that sidelined him that year. No one pointed that out. Shaq was worn down from carrying much of the club down the stretch in his absence. Everyone else was pretty much done against the younger legs of the Bulls who proved to be a difficult matchup.

Chronz
05-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Because Wade was injured, funny how nobody has mentioned that

SportsFanatic10
05-05-2012, 09:22 PM
the team seemed kinda content after the title win, i think the first game of that season they got blown out by the bulls badly. they weren't a hungry team that year. also wade wasn't himself (knee and shoulder issues that required offseason surgery), and shaq and the rest of that team were worn down and/or old. some of the older players probably wanted to retire imo but decided to try and defend the title half heartedly first.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Because Wade was injured, funny how nobody has mentioned that

But he was playing, wasn't he?

I love how you get a pass if you don't do well but are injured.

Kobe and Bynum both were on one knee during the 2010 championship run. Both had to have their knees drained one more than one occasion, and Kobe was basically breaking down in the finals against Boston.

Last yr, yes, Kobe wasn't fully healthy, but you don't see Laker fans using that as a primary excuse. We always said that Dirk outshined Kobe, Pau was having mental issues, and the team had lost its hunger and ran it's course together under Phil, and our bench was horrid as Blake and Barnes never got into a rhythm for us in their first season in LA.

Longhornfan1234
05-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Wade can't get out the first round without a stacked team.

akesh99
05-05-2012, 09:42 PM

Kobe and Bynum both were on one knee during the 2010 championship run. Both had to have their knees drained one more than one occasion, and Kobe was basically breaking down in the finals against Boston.

Last yr, yes, Kobe wasn't fully healthy, but you don't see Laker fans using that as a primary excuse. We always said that Dirk outshined Kobe, Pau was having mental issues, and the team had lost its hunger and ran it's course together under Phil, and our bench was horrid as Blake and Barnes never got into a rhythm for us in their first season in LA.

How you can turn a question about the 2007 Heat into an essay on the Lakers astonishes me...

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-05-2012, 09:46 PM
How you can turn a question about the 2007 Heat into an essay on the Lakers astonishes me...

It disproves the point that Chronz was trying to make. I'm trying to show that there's many things that go into a team not repeating. If a star player is playing injured, there are other elements that contribute to not repeating and being ousted quickly.

Chronz
05-05-2012, 10:11 PM
So was Karl Malone in the 2004 Finals, it doesnt mean he was fit to play.

Its called common sense, you should love it.

LOL exactly, they had conditions you could treat instantly. Wade needed corrective surgery. Theres a difference between playing hurt and playing injured. Hell all Kobe needed to feel fresh again was a lil blood transfusion LMFAO.

Definitely not as bad as what Wade went through that year.

Chronz
05-05-2012, 10:12 PM
It disproves the point that Chronz was trying to make. I'm trying to show that there's many things that go into a team not repeating. If a star player is playing injured, there are other elements that contribute to not repeating and being ousted quickly.

Try again

llemon
05-05-2012, 10:23 PM

Because the fix was in.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Try again

Oh Chronz, you always seem to stump me. Whatever, at the end of the day, you're a non-biased objective NBA fan. :cheers:

#respect

LayZbone
05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Wade had his shoulder badly injured late in the season. He had a choice of having surgery right away, and missing the playoffs, or having rehab, and then fixing the shoulder over the summer. He chose the latter, which was a mistake. He was limited to only going up with the same hand on every take, making him more predictable. The rest of our lineup was archaic.

naps
05-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Because all of their old players were content and out of shape. Shaq, Walker, Posey, Payton, Williams all played vital roles the year before and were all out of shape and/or too content the year after. Wade dislocated his shoulder against Houston beginning in the season, missed 51 games, and cameback for the playoffs, and was nowhere near 100%. He had surgery right after that series.

SportsFanatic10
05-05-2012, 11:01 PM
wades knee limited him even more than the shoulder everyone talks about in those playoffs. just shows how banged up he really was.

LGhost
05-06-2012, 01:07 AM
I'm guessing the OP posted and left, maybe he wasn't interested in the subject at all

beasted86
05-06-2012, 09:38 AM
I'm guessing the OP posted and left, maybe he wasn't interested in the subject at all

Most likely a really young kid.

Afterall, he's asking about stuff that happened just 5 years ago.

theheatles
05-06-2012, 09:42 AM
after shaq won the title in 06, he ate a massive breakfast scramble every morning, 12 eggs, 3 potatoes, 1 lb of sausage and 8 oz of cheese

posey got fat

payton was a fossil

walker was fat and a fossil

wade was playing injured

zo was done

h2r09
05-06-2012, 10:23 AM
shaq no longer had an interest in playing. antoine walker didn't stop drinking. jason williams and gary payton were straight up old

and wade had a dislocated shoulder that needed to be corrected with surgery and his knee was even worse. thats why his next season was so awful for the heat and himself.

Puck017
05-06-2012, 10:43 AM

According to Wikipedia this is how it happened.

Oregon took advantage of the Buckeyes' defense, which was designed to stop Gale and Wintermute, by using Gale as "a decoy", in his words.[1] This created an opportunity for contributions from the Webfoots' other players, including Dick, who led both teams by scoring 15 points.[1] On Ohio State's offensive possessions, the Webfoots used a match-up zone defense, which held the Buckeyes' field goal percentage to 17 percent for the game.[6] The Webfoots held a five-point lead at halftime, and pulled away in the second half to win the national championship, 4633.[1] Afterward came what Dick termed "a two-handed trophy presentation"; during the game, Anet had broken a figure off the top of the championship trophy while attempting to gain possession of the ball by the sideline.[6][11]

Lidz
05-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Wade had his shoulder badly injured late in the season. He had a choice of having surgery right away, and missing the playoffs, or having rehab, and then fixing the shoulder over the summer. He chose the latter, which was a mistake. He was limited to only going up with the same hand on every take, making him more predictable. The rest of our lineup was archaic.

I wouldn't say he made a mistake. Whether he played injured like he did or didn't play at all, I feel like it would've been the same outcome. It seems as though he understood that and just went for it.

ChiSox219
05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Deng 26.3 ppg with a .619 TS%
Gordon 25.5ppg with a .597 TS%

jp611
05-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Deng 26.3 ppg with a .619 TS%
Gordon 25.5ppg with a .597 TS%

Could really use this right about now

MagicBucsSox
05-06-2012, 11:15 AM

This

unleashthebeast
05-06-2012, 11:36 AM

:laugh2:

MagicBucsSox
05-06-2012, 11:58 AM
:laugh2:

Prove it not true!

kswissdaf
05-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Wade had a bad shoulder

theheatles
05-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Prove it not true!

uhh, Wades rookie year when he beat a team led by a prime Baron Davis

MTL_123
05-06-2012, 12:17 PM

lmao owned:D

JordansBulls
05-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Because Deng had the series of his life and the Bulls were hungry and wanted Miami all year long from the season before. Miami thought they could just turn it on in the playoffs, and they could just not against Chicago. And to be honest IMO I think Chicago was the only team that would have beaten Miami that year in the East. I kinda wish though the Bulls won there last game of the season because I wanted to see a Lebron vs Wade playoff series badly.

unleashthebeast
05-06-2012, 02:04 PM

:hi5: well played good sir

Longhornfan1234
05-06-2012, 02:09 PM

:facepalm:

Wade was playing alongside Butler, Jones, and Odom.

unleashthebeast
05-06-2012, 02:30 PM
:facepalm:

Wade was playing alongside Butler, Jones, and Odom.

:laugh2: Baron was playing with Mashburn. The 2 of them averaged more ppg than anyone on the HEAT that year. Not that that makes a difference though, because I'm sure regardless of what we tell you, you will find another way to hate on Wade for no reason

Butler, Jones, Odom. ZOMG so good, that team is so stacked!

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-06-2012, 02:44 PM
:laugh2: Baron was playing with Mashburn. The 2 of them averaged more ppg than anyone on the HEAT that year. Not that that makes a difference though, because I'm sure regardless of what we tell you, you will find another way to hate on Wade for no reason

Butler, Jones, Odom. ZOMG so good, that team is so stacked!

Butler, Odom and a scrub that you guys already had on your team in Brian Grant along with a first round pick was enough to land you the most dominant center in league history who just came off of 3 titles in 4 finals appearances.

Not the best argument there for ya.

unleashthebeast
05-06-2012, 02:50 PM
Butler, Odom and a scrub that you guys already had on your team in Brian Grant along with a first round pick was enough to land you the most dominant center in league history who just came off of 3 titles in 4 finals appearances.

And how much did it take for you guys to acquire Pau Gasol? I'm not trying to troll or anything but comeon now, that HEAT team in 2003 was nowhere near stacked

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-06-2012, 03:03 PM
And how much did it take for you guys to acquire Pau Gasol? I'm not trying to troll or anything but comeon now, that HEAT team in 2003 was nowhere near stacked

Pau happened in a blink of an eye.

The Lakers were looking for suitors for Shaq for weeks. Mark Cuban was heavily interested in acquiring Shaq, but at the end, Dr. Buss felt Butler,Odom,Grant (who we eventually amnestied in the prior CBA) and a first round pick (which became Andrew Bynum) was the best deal out there, and now, the guy seemed like a genius.

Odom was coming of a career year I think in averaging 17-18 ppg along with 9-10 rebounds per game. It was his best statistical season by far.

h2r09
05-06-2012, 04:39 PM
caron butler was in that trade based on the year before, his rookie year. i remember him being really bad in dwyanes entire first year. brian grant was an aging hustle player in the trade because of his salary. lamar odom had a good year that year but wade was incredible his rookie year. he also carried us to a title with a bunch of veterans his 3rd year.

Chronz
05-06-2012, 04:44 PM
LOL Wade had a stacked team his rookie year now? Wow thats delusional.

unleashthebeast
05-06-2012, 04:46 PM
LOL Wade had a stacked team his rookie year now? Wow thats delusional.

:laugh2: I completely agree Chronz. So ridiculous

kingsdelez24
05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Shaq was over worked by riley. His three hour practices took a toll on him. Wade had a dislocated shoulder, GP played only 2 games, and everybody else just got old

sep11ie
05-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Jesus Christ the OP needs a grammar check.

DaLyingofJungl3
05-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Heat vs Hornets in 03-04

same thing with Kobe just saying

Stinkyoutsider
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Hey now, let's give credit where credit is due. The Bulls were on a roll in 07 and had nothing to lose. Yes, Shaq was old and Wade wasn't himself, but let's not forgot that the Bulls were playing on another level and with house money.

I think Deng and Gordon was our best players during that series. I'm not sure what has happened to Gordon since then, but he was lights out when get got into a groove. And in 07, Deng was getting past players and attacking the rim (which he can't and hasn't done this year in the playoffs, despite his wrist injury). Honestly, I think Deng is now saving himself for the olympics? His opportunity to try for a gold medal with England...

TheIlladelph16
05-07-2012, 12:33 PM

I don't think he meant this as giving the Heat a pass for their performance. Just that injuries took their toll on their best players and directly effected the outcome. Sometimes injuries can derail a team in the playoffs (a la Bulls 2012), but other times players can play through it and succeed (Lakers 2010). It's not a justification. Just a fact.

Heatcheck
05-07-2012, 02:47 PM
1. Wade was hurt and came back even tho he wasnt fully healthy.
2. The Bulls had our number the whole year. (I remmember praying for the cavs in the first round)
3. Wade was still playing like **** everytime he went to chicago.
4. Williams, Walker, payton(cant recall if he was still on the team) were done being consistent contributors.

I knew we were ****ed the moment they said we had to play the bulls.

Heatcheck
05-07-2012, 02:56 PM

That wasn't a conventional trade, there were circumstances behind it. they didnt go out and shop him for the best value, they needed to move him THAT offseason . Shaq had teams he was willing to go to, and they had teams they refused to trade, him to for obvious reasons (Dallas or any other team out west). Miami's offer was based on talent and potential, not current ability.

The Gasol "Trade" was robbery, and I tip my hat to you guys. the only reason that went down was because jerry was the GM in Memphis and Kobe was going to leave the lakers so the called in a favor.

There is no way the grizzlies looked at Kwame, Crittenton, and a Gasol who never played NBA ball before and said, "this is fair value for arguably the best 7fter in the game." "Forget what the bulls or anybody else is offering, we can get THESE guys."