PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NBA ReDraft 2nd Round - #1) San Antonio Spurs vs. #4) Dallas Mavericks

KnicksorBust
05-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the 2012 NBA ReDraft voting process. The redraft is exactly how it sounds. The rosters of every NBA team are cleared and then drafted again from scratch. Posters from the site draft full rosters under a salary cap and then there is a voting process to make the playoffs. We are now in the playoffs and the head to head matchups have begun. Please remember to vote for the roster and write-up you believe would win a 7 game series and leave any of your personal preference for the real teams out of your decision. Thank you and enjoy the playoffs!

Mavericks:
PG: Goran Dragic/Lester Hudson/JJ/Ben Gordon
SG: Joe Johnson/Ben Gordon/Jordan Hamilton
SF: Richard Jefferson/JJ/Quentin Richardson
PF: Serge Ibaka/Tristan Thompson/Luke Harangody/Lavoy Allen
C: Tim Duncan/Tristan Thompson/Lavoy Allen

Spurs:
PG: Chris Paul | John Lucas III | Patty Mills
SG: Rip Hamilton | C.J. Miles
SF: Kawhi Leonard | Martell Webster
PF: Elton Brand | Kenyon Martin
C: Al Jefferson | Ian Mahinmi | Anthony Tolliver

1 San Antonio Spurs vs. 4 Dallas Mavericks

Congratulations to ebbs for advancing to the second round of the playoffs. He did an excellent job building a contender out of a mid-late first round pick and we wish him the best of luck the rest of the way.

The Mavs are a team reliant on their ability to control the defensive paint behind Tim Duncan and Serge Ibaka. Their capacities as interior defenders are highly complementary, but nothing Chris Paul hasn't faced before.

In last year's Western Conference Quarterfinals, Chris Paul (with a very weak supporting cast to put it mildly) obliterated the defending NBA Champion Los Angeles Lakers. No team in the league featured more size or a more intimidating frontline defensively. Paul repeatedly carved his way through defenders like Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant, and Matt Barnes on the perimeter to finish at the rim among two 7-footers in Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol.

During the series, he averaged a 28.9 PER, a TS% of 67 and an eFG% of 60.4. He also averaged 22 points, 7 rebounds, and 12 assists per game and it's worth repeating that his supporting cast was composed of such mediocre NBA talents as Trevor Ariza, Carl Landry, and Aaron Gray.

To summarize, if Paul can demolish a lineup stocked with strong perimeter defenders and two 7 footers to protect the paint, this Mavs team is a far cry from one capable of stopping or hindering Paul's production.

It pains me to do this, as the degree to which Joe Johnson is underrated on this site boggles my mind, but it is important to take note of his very underwhelming postseason performances dating back to 2008.

FG% TS% eFG% PPG PER WS/48
2008 40.9 54.0 47.8 20.0 15.8 .060
2009 41.7 47.9 45.2 16.4 12.5 -.02
2010 38.7 45.3 41.0 17.9 14.5 .012
2011 43.9 52.2 48.5 18.8 15.3 .058

This is the man that Dallas will have to lean on for a healthy chunk of their offense. Johnson is undoubtedly this team's go-to perimeter scoring option, and his tendency to either disappear or transform into an inefficient chucker during the postseason will doom this Mavs team in a collision against a superior team.

Behind stout perimeter defense from Kawhi Leonard (who would shoulder most of the time defending Johnson) and Brand's stingy defense in the paint, JJ is unlikely to produce series numbers too inconsistent from his disappointing postseason play the last four years.

With Leonard glued to Johnson, we can turn to the likes of Rip Hamilton, Martell Webster, and C.J. Miles to defend the inefficient, borderline worthless Richard Jefferson. Should the Mavs elect to start Gordon as they did in the previous round, Rip is quite capable of chasing the young sharpshooter around the court.

In the frontcourt, Al Jefferson will check Ibaka. Ibaka continues to improve offensively, but he is far from a consistent force at that end of the court. We will lean on Brand to stifle the Mavs go-to interior scoring option in Duncan. Brand surrenders some length to the future Hall of Famer, but as head-to-head match-ups will attest, it's nothing Brand cannot handle.

Head to head from 2010 to 2012 (dates back prior to the outstanding defensive season Brand is currently having):

PPG RPG FG% MPG
Brand 11.3 10.3 47.8 29.9
Duncan 12.3 9.8 35.8 29.5

We hardly expect Brand to neutralize Duncan, but it's clear our interior defensive ace is capable of doing just that.

At the other end, Dallas will hope to slow down the inside game of Al Jefferson. Considering Al has held his own against Duncan throughout his career, they have a very slim chance of doing that.

Since April of 2010 (seven games), Jefferson averaged 19.7 points and 8.7 rebounds on 53% shooting from the field against Duncan, who played 28.4 minutes a game in those contests to Jefferson's 33.4.

We have by far the best two-way point guard in basketball, an elite interior defender, an athletic wing defender, and a solid seven footer to protect the rim off the bench.

Offensively, our high-to-low post combination between Brand and Jefferson is a perfect fit. Leonard and Hamilton excel moving away from the ball, cutting to the rim, pushing the break, and coming off screens. We have a healthy dose of scoring/shooting off the bench in JLIII, Martell Wesbter, and C.J. Miles. We even have a physical enforcer to mix things up off the bench in Kenyon Martin.

The Mavericks have an excellent team, but a combination of our favorable match-ups, Johnson's inability to carry his stellar regular season play into the playoffs and our capacity to slow him down, our superior firepower, and homecourt advantage will cut them down in this series.

The Mavericks did not send in a write-up.

KnicksorBust
05-05-2012, 12:06 PM
It's a shame this isn't the Western Conference Finals. Both teams are built extremely well.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
05-05-2012, 12:08 PM
It's a shame this isn't the Western Conference Finals. Both teams are built extremely well.

Yeah I had these teams 1-2 in my rankings. Kinda leaning with the Spurs right now, but I'll wait for arguments to be made before I submit my vote.

Catfish1314
05-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I forgot to add Chris Paul has the highest 4th quarter PER in the league :)

Green_Monster
05-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I went with the Spurs. How is Dragic going to be able to guard Paul? The bigs for each team match up pretty equally. Also, Spurs have a better and deeper bench. To cap it off, the Mavs didn't send in a writeup.

KnicksorBust
05-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Sucks that this vote is already 5-0. I really liked the Mavs team.

roshan3ai
05-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I wanna hear ebbs' argument first. This is a good matchup

Sadds The Gr8
05-05-2012, 12:46 PM
I think this is close and both teams matchup well with each other. The Spurs have the biggest advantage at PG however and I think he'd dominate this series since there's nobody on Dallas that could guard him. Spurs in 6.

Sportfan
05-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I'm thinking mavs. i mean with duncan on al jeff in the low post i don't see where the scoring will come from outside of paul. leonard is more of a slasher. with a interior D of the mavs the spurs are going to need good jump shots. Rip is inconsistent and JJ is still a pretty good defender. Paul does work on Dragic but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Although same thing could be said the opposite ways with leonard on JJ and paul on dragic they don't have a very strong team offensively either. Duncan/AL Jeff is the crucial matchup here

Ebbs
05-05-2012, 02:23 PM
**** it sucks I didn't have time for a write up. That's pretty much insta death. I'll try to type something up here.

Chacarron
05-05-2012, 02:39 PM
I'm thinking mavs. i mean with duncan on al jeff in the low post i don't see where the scoring will come from outside of paul. leonard is more of a slasher. with a interior D of the mavs the spurs are going to need good jump shots. Rip is inconsistent and JJ is still a pretty good defender. Paul does work on Dragic but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Although same thing could be said the opposite ways with leonard on JJ and paul on dragic they don't have a very strong team offensively either. Duncan/AL Jeff is the crucial matchup here

Except Chris Paul is a much better creator for himself and his teammates than Joe Johnson. He has a bigger advantage against Dragic than Johnson has against Leonard.

Also, while we expect Duncan to guard Big Al on defense, we are putting Elton Brand on Timmy if you read the writeup. Tim Duncan will not playing more than 30-33 MPG, he just can't anymore, and it is not a good idea to play a rookie with no prior playoff experience in Tristan Thompson heavy minutes against seasoned veterans such as Elton Brand, Al Jefferson and Kenyon Martin.

Ebbs
05-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Ok this is just kind of my quick write up thinking on the matchup. (again I apologize catty I would have liked a real battle here.)

In the past Chris Paul has absolutely beasted, feasted, wined, dined and destroyed opposing defenses all to see his team lose the series. I think our game plan would allow Paul to feast on us.

Aside from Paul this team has 1 player who can score on a consistent basis and that's Al Jeff. Jefferson is putting up 13 points, 6 rebounds on 42% shooting against a lesser defensive core than I have now. His numbers have dropped significantly this post season against Duncan this post season and I also have Ibaka who will be in there helping out in the paint.

Lweonard is having a great rookie campaign but I struggle to see him bothering J.J. significantly. He is a rookie, J.J. dropped 27 against Pierce last night?

Dragic is not going to do work on Paul or slow down Paul overly but in his career against Paul he is shooting fantastic %'s of 50% from the field,, and 53% from deep. He will produce a little bit for us.

I feel like our team is also a little deeper saying as Ben Gordon, and Thompson are the 2 best bench players.

I respect the SPurs team the best of luck from here on out and I apologize for the rushedness of this argument.

Ebbs
05-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Except Chris Paul is a much better creator for himself and his teammates than Joe Johnson. He has a bigger advantage against Dragic than Johnson has against Leonard.

Also, while we expect Duncan to guard Big Al on defense, we are putting Elton Brand on Timmy if you read the writeup. Tim Duncan will not playing more than 30-33 MPG, he just can't anymore, and it is not a good idea to play a rookie with no prior playoff experience in Tristan Thompson heavy minutes against seasoned veterans such as Elton Brand, Al Jefferson and Kenyon Martin.

Ok well can't that be said for Leonard against J.J. or Ben Gordon?

Sportfan
05-05-2012, 02:46 PM

i meant offensively, i think the mavs have duncan defending al jeff

Chacarron
05-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Ok well can't that be said for Leonard against J.J. or Ben Gordon?

FWIW, Kawhi Leonard actually starts for the number 1 seed in the playoffs in real life.

Ebbs
05-05-2012, 02:54 PM
What's FWIW?

Chacarron
05-05-2012, 02:55 PM
What's FWIW?

For what it's worth.

Catfish1314
05-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Jefferson has held his own against Duncan throughout his career. That's outlined in the write-up.

Ok this is just kind of my quick write up thinking on the matchup. (again I apologize catty I would have liked a real battle here.)

To be honest, I was disappointed I didn't get to read one of your write-ups :(

In the past Chris Paul has absolutely beasted, feasted, wined, dined and destroyed opposing defenses all to see his team lose the series. I think our game plan would allow Paul to feast on us.

The supporting cast we have is far more comparable to the one that nearly took down the Spurs in 2008 than to the joke of a lineup he carried against the Lakers last year.

Aside from Paul this team has 1 player who can score on a consistent basis and that's Al Jeff. Jefferson is putting up 13 points, 6 rebounds on 42% shooting against a lesser defensive core than I have now. His numbers have dropped significantly this post season against Duncan this post season and I also have Ibaka who will be in there helping out in the paint.

Two games is a pitiful sample size. Jefferson's numbers were nearly identical to Duncan's in Game 1. In Game 2, he was just as underwhelming as the entire Jazz team. So that's really just one game you're looking at.

The last 6-10 games between Jefferson and Duncan, in comparable playing time, is a far more appropriate way to gauge their play against each other.

I'll also have to disagree that Jefferson is the only other player on our team who scores on a consistent basis. Rip struggled with the injury bug this year, but his production was very steady when he was healthy. If Brand's offense is inconsistent at all, he's playing with a competent frontcourt mate on our team.

Lweonard is having a great rookie campaign but I struggle to see him bothering J.J. significantly. He is a rookie, J.J. dropped 27 against Pierce last night?

Honestly if Johnson drops 27 on 39% shooting against us every night, I'm almost fine with that. But he won't. As I already pointed out, Johnson (as much as I abhor the lack of credit he receives) routinely underwhelms in the postseason.

I respect the SPurs team the best of luck from here on out and I apologize for the rushedness of this argument.

Likewise and to you :)

Evolution23
05-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Duncan and Ibaka front court is a deadly

Ebbs
05-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Bump front court defense and more players who can contribute offensively.

PatsSoxKnicks
05-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Went with the Spurs and have felt they'd come out of the West for awhile. Doubt ebbs' write-up would've changed my mind on that. Real life CP3 dominating in the playoffs with a less talented real life team than Catty has given him doesn't help the Mavs case either.

KnicksorBust
05-06-2012, 01:31 PM
I want to use this space to congratulate Ebbs on completely turning his team around. His Mavs were the 2nd best team in the West and would have had a decent shot of coming out of the East.

Much better than that scary Tyreke Evans team. :)

mightybosstone
05-06-2012, 05:47 PM
I know I said that I thought the Spurs would have an easy path to the Finals, but I love this matchup for the Mavericks. Anyone who has not seen Dragic in a starting role this season is at a disadvantage, but I've seen how good he really is and I think he could definitely bother Chris Paul over a seven games series. And I just like Dallas' 2, 3 punch, overall defense and experience far more than San Antonio.

I think the Mavs would win this series in 6.

DR_1
05-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Man gotta think on this 1. I like the Spurs, except for: John Lucas and Elton Brand.

Catfish1314
05-06-2012, 08:05 PM
I think he could definitely bother Chris Paul over a seven games series.

:laugh2: Give me a break.

Granted your explanation was better than:

Man gotta think on this 1. I like the Spurs, except for: John Lucas and Elton Brand.

mightybosstone
05-07-2012, 04:07 PM
:laugh2: Give me a break.

As a starter this season (28 games), Dragic posted a solid 18/8.4/3.5/1.8 with .490/.379/.837 shooting percentages. And opposing PGs posted a 12.7 PER against him this season, according to 82games. I fail to see how this is laughable, especially since I ACTUALLY watched the guy nearly every game this season and saw how dominant he can be on both ends of the floor.