PDA

View Full Version : Is Deron Williams overrated or underrated?

Longhornfan1234
05-05-2012, 04:21 AM
He shot .407 this season and .349 last season.

I'm not sure about him...sometimes I watch him and he seems like one of the best players on the planet.

Lakers + Giants
05-05-2012, 04:33 AM
The nets suck. Surround him with better players and he'd be a borderline top 5 player.

To answer the question though, he's a bit of both.

DillyDill
05-05-2012, 04:38 AM
Hands down underrated...when he was on the jazz arguably the best point in the league..but gets traded to the bum azz nets now folks forgetting bout him like hes a thing in the past smh

Wade>You
05-05-2012, 04:42 AM
Underrated earlier in his career even though he was playing great. Don't know the consensus on on him now, but I'd lean towards overrated. Not the same player he was in Utah.

Duncan = Donkey
05-05-2012, 04:54 AM
Overrated.

UKblazers
05-05-2012, 05:02 AM
At the moment he's overrated, especially when people compare him to Chris Paul. Hes been in a two year shooting slump dating back to before he was traded, and has always had high turnover numbers.

That said i would do backflips if my team had him.Top 14-20 player imo.

D12 fan
05-05-2012, 07:22 AM
He had a season high of 57pts and had a 20ast game,If he had Dwight to play with,he would be talked about more as the best pg in the league,remember how good he made Carlos Boozer looked when he was in Utah.

PhillyFaninLA
05-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Personally, I believe he is one of the most underrated players in the game. I put him as a top 3 or top 5 PG.

He is behind CP3 and Rose then I think he deserves to be in the conversation. The thing with him is he plays a grittier less offensive minded game so I think people tend to underrate him and players like him.

Kidd>>>K-Mart
05-05-2012, 08:47 AM
As a Nets fan I believe he is underrated. To see what he can do with the squad he had around him all year long was incredible. The 57 points game was amazing even though it was against the Bobcats, it is still hard to drop 57 against any NBA team. I would like to see him pared up Howard and see how this unfolds.

ModernDaySavage
05-05-2012, 08:49 AM
I believe he is easily underrated, I'd probably only take Paul over him. Once he gets another elite player he's going to explode IMO.

bholly
05-05-2012, 08:55 AM
He shot .407 this season and .349 last season.

I'm not sure about him...sometimes I watch him and he seems like one of the best players on the planet.

Super misleading stat. That was just in his 12 games with the Nets. He shot .458 in 53 games with Utah.

I think there are a few who underrate him (I couldn't believe how many thought he wasn't All Star worthy this year) but overall he's generally considered in the top handful of PGs, which is about right.

felixng2012
05-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Both. I remember people saying that he was way better than Chris Paul which is laughable at best. Now he might be underrated since he has been playing on a scrubbish team.

Hellcrooner
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
whenver you do suck a question it most probably means he is correctly rated.

cwesleyf
05-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Deron Williams is a one of the top point guards in the NBA. He has failed so far to elevate an average bunch of players to playoff contenders. To me that is one of the measures that defines a superstar. He will certainly command superstar money when he signs his new contract after the season.

Sadds The Gr8
05-05-2012, 11:07 AM
he should get the same flack Kevin Love gets for not being able to get more wins out of his squad.

Gram
05-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Under - Dude is crazy. Deserves a much better team.

ModernDaySavage
05-05-2012, 11:27 AM
he should get the same flack Kevin Love gets for not being able to get more wins out of his squad.

I usually see people putting K Love as the #1 PF in the league, what kind of flack is that?

Sadds The Gr8
05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I usually see people putting K Love as the #1 PF in the league, what kind of flack is that?

I also see people say he's overrated/stat padder because his team's records aren't good and hasn't taken them to the playoffs.

Young and Stupid
05-05-2012, 11:41 AM
As a Nets fan, this is a conversation I've had a few times before (with the other seven Nets fans).

I don't think we can look exclusively at his numbers -- and I mean real numbers; not raw statistics -- from the past two seasons because he's been burdened by a below average team. Not only is the Nets' roster putrid, but because of injuries he's been asked to be the number one scoring option. Williams is a good scorer for his position, but he seems to excel when he can look to pass first.

Williams' efficiency (or lack thereof) is very troubling. I'm also worried that his shot hasn't been the same since his wrist injury. If I had to answer the question, I would say "overrated." Although, I say that as someone who's not in a great position to provide an accurate assessment because many of my conversations are conducted with the other seven Nets fans.

I'd say he's somewhere in the 11-15 range in terms of player rankings. However, he is not -- and has never been -- in Chris Paul's class.

Robbw241
05-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Neither

torocan
05-05-2012, 11:57 AM
It depends on where you're rating him.

Top 10 - certainly
Top 5 - Close, but not quite there.

Better PG's in my opinion...

Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Steve Nash
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook

The reasons I don't rate him higher...

-Points padded somewhat through an excess of "garbage" time. NJN loses, alot. And often not by a little. This puts Deron against alot of bench line ups.
-Has not significantly elevated the Nets, despite having a few decent supporting players, even vs sub .500 teams (11-12)

He has good potential to get better moving forward. However, he's just not there yet in my opinion.

VCaintdead17
05-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Second best point guard in the NBA in my eyes.

VCaintdead17
05-05-2012, 12:58 PM
It depends on where you're rating him.

Top 10 - certainly
Top 5 - Close, but not quite there.

Better PG's in my opinion...

Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
Steve Nash
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook

The reasons I don't rate him higher...

-Points padded somewhat through an excess of "garbage" time. NJN loses, alot. And often not by a little. This puts Deron against alot of bench line ups.
-Has not significantly elevated the Nets, despite having a few decent supporting players, even vs sub .500 teams (11-12)

He has good potential to get better moving forward. However, he's just not there yet in my opinion.

In no way shape or form is Rajon Rondo or Russel Westbrook better than Deron Williams. You could argue Nash and Rose and obviously Paul, but that's it.

Beltrans Mole
05-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Definitely underrated...not even close to being overrated.

JasonJohnHorn
05-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Can anybody explain why this guy has shot like $#!T since he came to the Nets? It just doesn't seem to make any sense to me. I've never seen a player regress like that, well, except for Vince Carter, but he did it on purpose to make Toronto trade him. I don't think that is what D-Will is doing here. I realize he shoots a lot of 3's, but still.

ModernDaySavage
05-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah Saddler I agree, he's just in the same boat as D Will. There are people, who no matter what the player does, will discredit their play if it doesn't translate into playoff success. So once Love and Williams get some more quality players to play with and maybe win a playoff series or something, they will both be 2-3 at their positions without argument.

netsgiantsyanks
05-05-2012, 02:03 PM
most of the nets roster is trash. plus, we were plagued with injuries. ironic how the year we would try our best to keep d-will is the same year that a guy who hasn't missed one game in 3 years ****ing plays 4 games.

Evolution23
05-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Let the Nets rebuild and he will be back to being a top 10 player

DR_1
05-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Neither he's fine where he is: the number 3 PG

5ass
05-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Unda

SteveNash
05-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Best PG in the game, so underrated.

Donuts365
05-05-2012, 02:13 PM
In no way shape or form is Rajon Rondo or Russel Westbrook better than Deron Williams. You could argue Nash and Rose and obviously Paul, but that's it.

rondo is better than westbrook deron top 2 pg behind cp3 but nets good get games last year was when he got 15 or more assit he shot that team out of games last year instead of tryna get everyone involve he tries to beat teams by himself if he was more pg consistant and drop 25 10 that team would of been a 9th 8th seed but too many injuries shame really

ModernDaySavage
05-05-2012, 02:22 PM
I can't believe some people have him at 6 on their PG list, that answers the question to the thread.

Crackadalic
05-05-2012, 02:24 PM
If anything he's underrated. He's playing for the nets with no type of stars. What do you expect. You can't expect great players to perform really well without surrounding them with great players.

Chronz
05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
I agree with the poster that said abit of both. Hes underrated in the sense that his accolades don't match his impact, like it took him years to make the AllStar team. But hes overrated by his fans who falsely put him in the class of CP3. Hes never been THAT good

Chronz
05-05-2012, 02:29 PM
If anything he's underrated. He's playing for the nets with no type of stars. What do you expect. You can't expect great players to perform really well without surrounding them with great players.
Since when?

D12 fan
05-05-2012, 02:33 PM
CP3
Dwill
Rondo
Rose
Westbrook

felixng2012
05-05-2012, 02:42 PM

Phoenix Suns have scrub players as well and they play in the West which has tougher competition. Also Gortat is not that good he is a product of Nash. I think Humphries is as good.

Meaze_Gibson
05-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Deron Williams is a one of the top point guards in the NBA. He has failed so far to elevate an average bunch of players to playoff contenders. To me that is one of the measures that defines a superstar. He will certainly command superstar money when he signs his new contract after the season.

Shelden Williams is not an average ball player. No one could have took this squad to the playoffs this year.

--23--
05-05-2012, 08:30 PM
D-Will always been underrated by many

ManningToTyree
05-05-2012, 08:45 PM
appropriately rated. He is a top 3 PG. I don't think may believe he is the best PG or lower than 3rd behind Paul and Rose.