PDA

View Full Version : In Denver, will JaVale McGee become a Top 10 Center in the NBA?

Fresno
05-05-2012, 01:45 AM
It seems like George Karl might finally be the coach who's able to tap into the potential to be a top C that JaVale McGee has shown over the last 3 years.

He got better on offense in Denver averaging 10 PPG on 61% from the Field in only 20 minutes. Per 36 numbers: 18 PPG, 10 RPG, 2.7 BPG

George Karl so far seems to be able to make him get his head in the game so that he's making less dumb plays and actually making an impact in the minutes he's getting.

In Game 2 against LA he had 6 Blocks in only 22 minutes.

Tonight, he had 16 Points, 15 Rebounds, & 4 Blocks in only 28 minutes.

DaLakerz Rulz
05-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Yea this game showed he is the second best center in the league after Dwight Howard.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
The guy is a beast and Denver made the right move trading away overpaid declining Nene to Washington.

JaVale will be a beast come next season, book it! Once he gets a summer with Shaq, forget about it!

Raps18-19 Champ
05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
I actually thought they didn't even like playing him and that's why he only got like 20 MPG in the regular season.

Max.This
05-05-2012, 01:54 AM
He's got serious potential. If he gets his footwork down right and get develop some post moves, he can definitely be better than bynum.

Fresno
05-05-2012, 01:59 AM
I actually thought they didn't even like playing him and that's why he only got like 20 MPG in the regular season.

Denver's got a deep rotation of Forwards and they had picked McGee up mid-season and tried to mix him the rotation so he's still trying to establish his role.

George Karl has been getting more confident in letting McGee play more and matching him up with Bynum. Bynum's stronger physically, but McGee has the length/athleticism to give him problems on defense.

Tonight McGee had a +/- of +30.

Fresno
05-05-2012, 02:07 AM
The guy is a beast and Denver made the right move trading away overpaid declining Nene to Washington.

JaVale will be a beast come next season, book it! Once he gets a summer with Shaq, forget about it!

Yeah it looks like a great move right now.

Nene is about to turn 30 and he has 4 years & $52 Million still due to him.

McGee just turned 24 and keeps getting better each season. Finally, he has a HOF coach who knows what he's doing and can try to coach/motivate him.

Mcdoh
05-05-2012, 02:08 AM
i hope so.. good for mcgee if he does.. :D

tokyo-boy
05-05-2012, 02:10 AM
think so.

Denver needs to sign him.

Lakers + Giants
05-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Not that hard. There's only about 3 or 4 centers that our impressive any ways, the rest are just in there by default. Easily the weakest position in the NBA.

b@llhog24
05-05-2012, 02:23 AM
Not that hard. There's only about 3 or 4 centers that our impressive any ways, the rest are just in there by default. Easily the weakest position in the NBA.

SG says hi.

greg_ory_2005
05-05-2012, 02:25 AM
Depends if they re-sign him or not. He'll probably want at least 10 mil a year.

Lakers + Giants
05-05-2012, 02:35 AM
SG says hi.

SG

Wade
Kobe
Manu
Harden
Ray Ray
Monta
Joe Johnson

>>>>>

Howard
Bynum
Gasol

xxcubs22xx
05-05-2012, 02:50 AM

This.

I think that at the moment JaVale's poor decision making at times set's him closer to average than top 10 center.

Like him trying to run a fast break on his own earlier tonight from coast to coast. :facepalm: He's gotta screw his head on straight sometimes. He's got a long way to go IMO

^John Wall facepalm :D

Sadds The Gr8
05-05-2012, 02:53 AM
like someone in the GT said, this game tonight was probably an aberration. I'd be surprised if he had another good game on Sunday.

b@llhog24
05-05-2012, 02:56 AM
SG

Wade
Kobe
Manu
Harden
Ray Ray
Monta
Joe Johnson

>>>>>

Howard
Bynum
Gasol

Well Sg is more top heavy but center has alot of quality depth. There's only about 7-8 sg who are quality players. Btw Monta SUCKS!

PurpleJesus
05-05-2012, 02:59 AM
I hope he becomes great, his twitter is awesome.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
05-05-2012, 03:00 AM
very very stupid thread.

Why didnt you make a thread after the first two games asking - In Denver, will JaVale McGee become a Top 10 worst center in the NBA?

He was atrocious in those games, like he has been all year....all of a sudden he has a good game in homecourt and you jump on his nuts. The guy has so long to go to become a good center that it isnt even funny.

Trueblue2
05-05-2012, 03:01 AM
He's got the talent for it that's for sure, I think the mentality of this Denver team is perfect for him to change his mentality and help with his immaturity. He's always gonna make boneheaded plays, but if he took the game a little more seriously he could develop into a really good player. I hated the trade for denver at first, but the more I think about it the more I realize that in the right situation with the right coach McGee could flourish. I'd even go as far to say a couple of years down the line he could be their number one scorer if he keeps his head in check.

5ass
05-05-2012, 03:09 AM
thats the difference between dwight howard and andrew bynum

TheNumber37
05-05-2012, 03:11 AM
Maybe
Howard, Hibbert, Noah, Chandler, Marc Gasol, Bynum, Nene, Deandre, Cousins, Lopez, Horford, Bargs, Bogut, Horford, Perkins, Kaman.
Can he be better than 6 of these guys? I don't know.

Trueblue2
05-05-2012, 03:20 AM
SG

Wade
Kobe
Manu
Harden
Ray Ray
Monta
Joe Johnson

>>>>>

Howard
Bynum
Gasol

I agree that SG>C in current tallent and potential, but you gotta show some love for.

Hibbert
Jefferson
Pekovic
Cousins
Horford (even though he's been hurt)
Bogut (ditto)
and Chandler

setman2000
05-05-2012, 05:53 AM
very very stupid thread.

Why didnt you make a thread after the first two games asking - In Denver, will JaVale McGee become a Top 10 worst center in the NBA?

He was atrocious in those games, like he has been all year....all of a sudden he has a good game in homecourt and you jump on his nuts. The guy has so long to go to become a good center that it isnt even funny.

Says the bitter Lakers fan who went down by 15 tonight. Can't wait for Sunday! 2-2 going back to L.A.!

mdm692
05-05-2012, 08:03 AM
How much money does denver have to resign him didn't chandler, gallo and afflalo just get fat checks?

mdm692
05-05-2012, 08:08 AM
I agree that SG>C in current tallent and potential, but you gotta show some love for.

Hibbert
Jefferson
Pekovic
Cousins
Horford (even though he's been hurt)
Bogut (ditto)
and Chandler

horford is a pf which is why his father has asked the hawks FO to acquire a true C and move him to his natural pf position.

You forgot gortat in that list along with perkins, noah,

NBAfan4life
05-05-2012, 08:48 AM
It is a very real possibility. He is to big and athletic not to be one of the better centers in the league.

2-ONE-5
05-05-2012, 09:17 AM
LOL no McGee will not be a top 10 center in Denver bcuz he wont be in Denver next year bcuz the ****** is gonna ask for an outrageous amount of money that he doesnt deserve. He playes behind Kosta Kofous for cryin out loud

dee279
05-05-2012, 09:55 AM
He needs to become more serious and just really grow up. Theyre really so many players in the league that have so much talent but their heads arent consistently in the game and Javale is 1 of them. He is like a kid on the court and he just doesnt take the game serious enough and i think the big contract he will probably get will most likely set him back.

DR_1
05-05-2012, 12:14 PM
No because there are a lot of good Centers in the league. And McGee is plain dumb sometimes.

dtmagnet
05-05-2012, 12:22 PM
PSD sure likes the live in the moment, one game does not change my opinion of McGee.

Green_Monster
05-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Not yet. I think he's fringe top 10.

VCaintdead17
05-05-2012, 12:56 PM
He has no offensive moves and is atrocious on D. I doubt he ever becomes a competent big man.

JesusWears24
05-05-2012, 01:21 PM
This has to be the stupidest thread i have ever seen... Just because he had a decent game he is going to become a top 10 center in the league? the center position is weak, but come on this is pathetic. Well, jordan hill had 15 pts and 14 rbs against the thunder. He is gonna be a top 10 PF for sure now. Stupid Nugget fans... This series was over before it began. And, Fresno... u should delete your accunt for being such a dumbass

JasonJohnHorn
05-05-2012, 01:26 PM
This kid was going no where in Washington. There were losing so many games, and are so far away from even coming close to getting in the playoffs. I felt bad for Nene because he JUST signed to stay in Denver, then they trade the guy. I hate seeing teams do that. It undermines the free-agency process. But they got younger legs, without injury issues, and a boat load of potential. Karl is a great coach, and can be a great mentor, and they have some mature players on the Denver roster, even though they are a very young team. Winning can do a lot in changing one's approach. McGee was losing everynight regardless of what he did, so I think he just stopped caring. But when you are in a winning situation, every play counts, so I think he's starting to get his head in the game.

Matrix3132
05-05-2012, 01:46 PM
This kid was going no where in Washington. There were losing so many games, and are so far away from even coming close to getting in the playoffs. I felt bad for Nene because he JUST signed to stay in Denver, then they trade the guy. I hate seeing teams do that. It undermines the free-agency process. But they got younger legs, without injury issues, and a boat load of potential. Karl is a great coach, and can be a great mentor, and they have some mature players on the Denver roster, even though they are a very young team. Winning can do a lot in changing one's approach. McGee was losing everynight regardless of what he did, so I think he just stopped caring. But when you are in a winning situation, every play counts, so I think he's starting to get his head in the game.

Nene is getting overpaid to play a game, don't feel too bad for him

mrblisterdundee
05-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd put JeVale McGee somewhere around Joakim Noah's skill level from last season, if he reaches his prime. He could be the fifth- to sixth-best center in the NBA, after Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Marc Gasol, Nene Hilario and Al Jefferson (and possibly Joakim Noah, Roy Hibbert and Kendrick Perkins). Also, if given the opportunity, I'd take Serge Ibaka, Al Horford or Pau Gasol at center over McGee, although they either play or are better suited for power forward.

DenButsu
05-05-2012, 02:35 PM
It's too soon to tell. The freakish athleticism is there, along with a very unique skill set. But the prevailing factor which will determine whether he maximizes his natural abilities to the utmost extent is his mind. And that's practically impossible to know.

I will say that the more games this playoff sereis continues, the better it is for the Nuggets, since they'll have that much more data to ork with when deciding whether to re-sign him or not, and if so how much to pay.

Crackadalic
05-05-2012, 02:38 PM
I can't see why not. Centers isnt that great in this era. gotta see more from him though

xbrackattackx
05-05-2012, 03:04 PM
His instagram and twitter is top 3 in centers for sho, maybe even higher.

Gram
05-05-2012, 03:08 PM
JaVale McGee.

IversonIsKrazy
05-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Although he is an idiot. Understand, he is an athletic high potential Center in a league with no Centers. He will be a top 10 C easy

THE MTL
05-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Umm, its NOT that hard to be a top 10 center in the NBA.

The league might have 15 true centers at most.

Ebbs
05-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Will see he is such a numbskull he probably thinks he won the nba championship already. I won't deny if he pulled his head out of his *** he could be a top 5 center.

kvrnm
05-05-2012, 06:19 PM
lakers fans being to critical. his athletiscm is through the roof. he has a great coach now in george karl. Center is the weakest position in the league. yes i have to see more of him, but i dnt think its ridiculous to think he could be a top 10 center one day

greg_ory_2005
05-05-2012, 06:26 PM
I love McGee!!

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=716880

Fresno
05-09-2012, 01:12 AM
this has to be the stupidest thread i have ever seen... Just because he had a decent game he is going to become a top 10 center in the league? The center position is weak, but come on this is pathetic. Well, jordan hill had 15 pts and 14 rbs against the thunder. He is gonna be a top 10 pf for sure now. Stupid nugget fans... This series was over before it began. And, fresno... U should delete your accunt for being such a dumbass

You sure about that?

Lakers + Giants
05-09-2012, 01:32 AM
He's already a top 3 center after today's performance.

Cfrey
05-09-2012, 01:36 AM
If Javale maxes out his potential then he could be a top FIVE center in the league... Tonights performance was better than great and it was against a guy who is the second best center in bynum.

Jarvo
05-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Isnt he already is?? I mean you have Dwight, Bynum, Jefferson, Chandler, Hibbert, Noah...

kobemelo
05-09-2012, 01:49 AM
He's already a top 3 center after today's performance.

lol I know you're just kidding but if he can build on this series in game 6 (and maybe 7 :cool:) and next season, then after next year he may just be.

DenButsu
05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Isnt he already is?? I mean you have Dwight, Bynum, Jefferson, Chandler, Hibbert, Noah...

Not a diss to the OP, but I wish the thread question had been phrased differently. I think the intent was more like, "Can he be a pretty great center?" Your point is valid that there just aren't so many, but I don't think cracking the top 10 in a weak field goes to the heart of the question.

At this point what is clear is that the raw tools are there for it to happen. Now it will be up to whether he can develop sufficient polish in his offensive game, maybe put on a little more bulk to be more of a physical presence down low, and (perhaps most importantly) get his mental game to catch up with his skill set.

But if the pretty good progress he's already made since the trade is any indication of things to come, things are probably pointing in a good direction.

BklynKnicks3
05-09-2012, 10:27 AM
its hard to say he not top 10 now or find 10 centers worth mentioning

MonroeFAN
05-09-2012, 10:49 AM
horford is a pf which is why his father has asked the hawks FO to acquire a true C and move him to his natural pf position.

You forgot gortat in that list along with perkins, noah,

:facepalm:

blystr2002
05-09-2012, 10:49 AM
He needs to put more then 1 or 2 games together before deserving any type of hype. He is very athletic, but doesn't should basketball IQ or consistent fundamentals to be elite right now. He is only 24 thought, so maybe that will come.

All that being said it is not hard to be a top 10 center right now. After Howard and Bynum, their is a drop then after the 3-6 another drop.

GOON MUSIC
05-09-2012, 11:29 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^ top ten is too easy

llemon
05-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Not a diss to the OP, but I wish the thread question had been phrased differently. I think the intent was more like, "Can he be a pretty great center?" Your point is valid that there just aren't so many, but I don't think cracking the top 10 in a weak field goes to the heart of the question.

At this point what is clear is that the raw tools are there for it to happen. Now it will be up to whether he can develop sufficient polish in his offensive game, maybe put on a little more bulk to be more of a physical presence down low, and (perhaps most importantly) get his mental game to catch up with his skill set.

But if the pretty good progress he's already made since the trade is any indication of things to come, things are probably pointing in a good direction.

I think the question was phrased perfectly.

Based on JaVale's career thus far, and the fact that he is a RFA, what do you think is the top monetary offer McGee will get this offseason?

Baller1
05-09-2012, 11:51 AM
I think the question was phrased perfectly.

Based on JaVale's career thus far, and the fact that he is a RFA, what do you think is the top monetary offer McGee will get this offseason?

Someone will throw him 10+ I think.

llemon
05-09-2012, 11:57 AM
Someone will throw him 10+ I think.

Sorry, got the threads mixed up.

ElChinoLatino
05-09-2012, 12:00 PM
McGee is ze bess basketballa playa of all times.

Stinkyoutsider
05-09-2012, 01:12 PM
I think he could be a great center but he needs to get his footwork together. He looks so odd out there (more odd than Noah)...

Blocking shots has always been a strong part of his game and the rebounding too but I'm happy to see him getting some points (hopefully not all from dunks).

I think his defensive skills are good but his offensive skills and focus are lacking. If he could get into the gym this summer and work on a jumper (out to 15 feet) and develop 2 post moves (at least a hook and a drop step) while fixing his footwork, he'll no doubt be a top center.

uprightciti
05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
if he was smarter then yes
but the dude is a ****ing moron

DenButsu
05-09-2012, 01:56 PM
if he was smarter then yes
but the dude is a ****ing moron

What do you base that on?

I'll go head to head with you, example for example, to demonstrate that both Melo and J.R. are dumber than JaVale. If you're up to the challenge.

-------

edit --

Examples must be weighted, of course. Somebody dying counts more than somebody choking on cinnamon.

AIRMAR72
05-09-2012, 04:04 PM
he would better with bron and wade if the heat TRADED anthony and bosh or any pass 1st PG javale can BALL the man been playing all his life the media forget who his momma is