PDA

View Full Version : Re-Defining the Superstar: Why Carmelo Anthony is not a Superstar.

TheJesus
05-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Basketball. bas·ket·ball. noun. /ˈbaskitˌbôl/: A game played between two teams of five players in which goals are scored by throwing a ball through a netted hoop fixed above each end of the court.

Somewhere along the line, Carmelo Anthony forgot the definition of Basketball. It was probably somewhere around high school, when he discovered that he was significantly more talented than anyone else on the court. Where his coaches, friends, family, and eager scouts refused to criticize a prolific scorer for fear of feeling his displeasure. Maybe it was then that Carmelo Anthony forgot the definition of Basketball. That it is a game played between two teams of five players, and not one on five.

Or maybe Carmelo Anthony is taking the definition of Basketball literally. Maybe to Carmelo Anthony, Basketball, is only about "throwing a ball through a netted hoop." It sure seems like it, doesn't it?

Carmelo Anthony has been described as "Allen Iverson with 5 inches and 36 pounds," an acknowledgement of his prolific scoring ability but a criticism of his inability to play the team sport. But even Allen Eliza Iverson averaged nearly 8 assists a game in his prime. Even Allen Eliza Iverson managed to take an inferior bunch of castoffs who, without him, were worthless, to the NBA Finals. So I refuse to acknowledge that Carmelo Anthony is Iverson with 5 inches and 36 pounds. He isn't even in Iverson's league.

Carmelo Anthony is not a superstar basketball player. He is a prolific scorer who cannot play the game with other people. His playoff record is evidence of his inability to take teams with talent anywhere, while superior players like Iverson and James can take inept teams to the Finals.

Carmelo is the reason why Steve Nash, or any other competent point guard, will ever come to the Knicks - because the ball has to always go through Carmelo Anthony. This is the Knicks. Carmelo + Amare + Chandler. Lin will not develop because Carmelo will not let him. He is not a superstar player.

Basketball is not only scoring. It involves Scoring, Defense, Leadership, and Making others better. Who has Carmelo Anthony ever made better? In his career? Name me a player that Carmelo Anthony has elevated as high as, let's say, Lebron elevated Daniel Boobie Gibson even. Carmelo Anthony should not be in the conversation for the top 10 best basketball players in this league. Anyone who lists him in the top 10 is ignoring other facets of the game.

Carmelo Anthony does two things: Carmelo scores, Carmelo sells tickets. And for that, he will always have a job and will always be a Knick. But he will never win a championship. It shouldn't be Lebron we all worry about, it should be Carmelo.

What are your top 10 players in this league, including all facets of the game?

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 09:31 PM
OH look another poor hate thread. Carmelo has been my favorite player since syracuse and I will agree, his leadership qualities are bad. But other then that, this is a horrible thread to start and honestly you need to figure something better to do with your free time then to write out a long hate thread on a NBA player.

Meaze_Gibson
05-04-2012, 09:31 PM
lol. he helped both jr smith and linus kleiza. but im sure this will get closed tho so never no mind

bholly
05-04-2012, 09:32 PM
I'm not a big Melo fan at all, and hadn't considered him a superstar for a while (although I've been rethinking that somewhat recently), but I disagree with a whole bunch of this.

The bit that bothers me most is the criticism that he didn't get to the finals while AI did. It took AI two game 7 wins to get there. One more loss and he might never have gotten past the second round. Two more Melo wins in the 2009 ECF and he gets to the finals (and would likely have a ring). I love AI, and have never been a Melo fan, but defining these guys' careers in large part on what is effectively the outcome of a game or two is totally stupid.
You've pretty much just compiled all the lazy, easy criticisms we all know about Melo. You try and make it sound well thought out and passionate by adding middle names and whatever, but try and give us some real analysis. Nobody equates Melo to AI, and comparing the assist numbers of a PG and a scoring SF/PF as evidence is ridiculous.

I don't think he'll win a championship either, because he's stuck in an awful situation, but he really is an elite scorer and could absolutely have been part of a championship calibre team if circumstances were better.

Lake_Show2416
05-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Melo is a superstar, give him a legit 2nd scoring option & the Knicks r competing for the title, Amare is just sad at this point....

ManRam
05-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Melo is the hardest player for me to rate over the last 10 years. Had some amazing and underrated seasons...and has also had some amazingly overrated seasons. I think it's an individual thing now. Some people think he's the second coming, some people don't. The whole debate that's lasted for a while now about who is the best "scorer" in the NBA is tends to overrate him. I don't get, at all, how people think he's the best scorer in the NBA...and it seems like in most people's eyes he's at least #2.

IDK. He's a great player, but obviously has some short-comings. It is very disappointing, and there are some legit excuses (still, they're "excuses) that he's only been past the first round once.

I'll just leave it at that.

Can I name 10 players who are better than him, factoring in defense (as we always should)? It's close. I'll save that for another day.

bholly
Also, AI's middle name is Ezail, not Eliza.

LAOwnsAll15
Common now, all this Melo hate is sickening!
He's not vibing in NY, not entirely his fault.

phantasyyy
so much hate for da melo man

JeffG20
05-04-2012, 09:36 PM
OH look another poor hate thread. Carmelo has been my favorite player since syracuse and I will agree, his leadership qualities are bad. But other then that, this is a horrible thread to start and honestly you need to figure something better to do with your free time then to write out a long hate thread on a NBA player.

you dont get the concept of a sports forum do you?

gotoHcarolina52
05-04-2012, 09:36 PM
Ezail > Kiyan

TheJesus
05-04-2012, 09:42 PM
My auto-correct corrected Iverson's middle name.

Look, this isn't a hate thread. I appreciate Carmelo Anthony for what he is - a prolific scorer. Prolific is a powerful word. Carmelo Anthony is one of the most sensational scorers I have ever seen. But he so drastically fails at every other aspect of the game that it's difficult for me to consider him a top-10 player.

Carmelo Anthony is not a superstar basketball player. I have yet to see an argument supporting that. What does Carmelo Anthony do well besides score? Who does he make better besides himself?

Master Mind
Melo may not be a superstar but he sure is a super scorer. He's gonna be the focal point of your defensive game plan, believe that.

D12 fan
Everybody knows Melo is not a superstar,can we close this thread now.

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 09:43 PM
you dont get the concept of a sports forum do you?

The concept of a forum is not to constantly hate on a player. That is stupid.

TheJesus
05-04-2012, 09:46 PM

I have been an avid reader of this forum and a long-time poster at other NBA forums with fans just passionate as you. I understand how criticizing your favorite player may be perceived as "hate." I do not hate Carmelo Anthony.

Again, he is a great scorer, but not a Superstar basketball player. If I remember correctly, Knicks fans did not hold back on Lebron James last season to the point where I stopped lurking for weeks do to the pure ignorance of some posts.

This isn't me blindly hating. It's a different point of view. I love Melo as a scorer, but what else does he do well? Who does he make better? Would you start a team with Carmelo Anthony?

ManRam
05-04-2012, 09:47 PM

Don't act like he gets any more "hate" than any other super star here. Have you seen any Kobe, LeBron, Rose or Dwight thread lately :laugh:

I mean, those guys are all even better than Melo, yet get as much, if not more, hate...

I don't see how this is a "hate-thread". Can we not be critical of players? Not like anything the OP said is blatantly wrong. If it were, than it could be considered a "hate thread". And, if you think he's just being a "hater", why don't you articulately and intelligently explain why he's wrong instead of just posting "oh cool, another hate-thread".

His OP was thought out and well done. No reason to just chalk it off and just make a simple one-liner.

Is he a super star? IDK. He's damn close if he isn't.

TheJesus
05-04-2012, 09:50 PM
A good question is this, I believe: Do you believe Carmelo Anthony would help or hurt Team USA?

I think the answer is unclear. But the very fact that it is unclear is a reason why we should step back and realize that maybe Carmelo's one-dimensional game, as "One-Way as a New York City Street", is not Superstar quality.

He's a world class scorer. Not a world class basketball player.

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Don't act like he gets any more "hate" than any other super star here. Have you seen any Kobe, LeBron, Rose or Dwight thread lately :laugh:

I mean, those guys are all even better than Melo, yet get as much, if not more, hate...

I don't see how this is a "hate-thread". Can we not be critical of players? Not like anything the OP said is blatantly wrong. If it were, than it could be considered a "hate thread". And, if you think he's just being a "hater", why don't you articulately and intelligently explain why he's wrong instead of just posting "oh cool, another hate-thread".

His OP was thought out and well done. No reason to just chalk it off and just make a simple one-liner.

Is he a super star? IDK. He's damn close if he isn't.

Hence the reason why I said hate on a NBA player. I dont or would never put a thread to bash a player regardless of who it is. If that stat about his losing % never showed up yesterday (which has a lot of variables to it) this thread along with the other 20 Ive seen today would have never been made.

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 09:54 PM
A good question is this, I believe: Do you believe Carmelo Anthony would help or hurt Team USA?

I think the answer is unclear. But the very fact that it is unclear is a reason why we should step back and realize that maybe Carmelo's one-dimensional game, as "One-Way as a New York City Street", is not Superstar quality.

He has already helped the USA team??? :confused: Now your credibility is suspect....

ManRam
05-04-2012, 09:54 PM

Well, Melo has traditionally done REALLY well for Team USA :shrug:

The scoring thing I don't get. Yeah, he is a scorer more than anything, but I don't get why he's considered the best, or even the second best. Can someone explain. He's not terribly efficient? Sure, he can make tough shots and create shots with ease...but if you aren't scoring at a super efficient level, does that all matter?

I guess that since I don't think he's the scorer most do, and agree with the critics about the rest of his game (flawed...he is a good/great rebounder though), maybe I'm on the not-superstar side of the fence.

faridk89
05-04-2012, 09:56 PM
a) in before the close

b) he is a superstar

TheJesus
05-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Hence the reason why I said hate on a NBA player. I dont or would never put a thread to bash a player regardless of who it is. If that stat about his losing % never showed up yesterday (which has a lot of variables to it) this thread along with the other 20 Ive seen today would have never been made.

His losing percentage is relevant. It's relevant enough to be plastered on a live NBA game, talked about on talk-show radio, and discussed by fans. Just because it's about a player you are a fan of does not mean anyone is "hating" on Carmelo Anthony.

If the stat was shared by Lebron James, for example, and these threads focused on James I doubt you would be protesting at all. You would be partaking.

The reason why the losing percentage stat is relevant to Carmelo as a player is because no aspect of his game makes people around him better. ANd he has had plenty of talent to be, at least, average.

He is the hot topic. He will be discussed. The 3,000 Jeremy Lin Threads were talked about because he was a hot topic. You were not complaining then because it was positive.

KB-Pau-DH2012
05-04-2012, 09:58 PM
I can't believe the IQ of the people on these boards.

There's no question that Carmelo Anthony IS a superstar.

When LeBron failed to even make the playoffs his first 2 yrs with the Cavs, Melo actually made it with his Nuggets.

People forget that Melo was just 2 wins away in 2009 from reaching the NBA Finals, but his team fell to a Lakers team that was hungry to a title after being embarrassed by Boston the yr before.

People forget that whoever you Melo to play with, whether it'd be a declining selfish Allen Iverson or an old Chauncey Billups, Melo made the playoffs ever single time.

Despite all the drama this season, when Amare went out and D'Antoni was fired and Lin disappeared into thin air with his injury, the Knicks were in major jeopardy of having the Milwaukee Bucks surpass the Knicks for that 8th and final spot, but it was Melo that gave the team momentum in that final stretch of the season where they not only held off Milwaukee, but bypassed Philly to get that 7th spot.

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Then I guess we could say Kevin Durant is not a superstar either then? His career avg are very similar to KDs.

reb assist steals TO
Melo 6.3 3.1 1.1 2.99
KD 6.6 2.8 1.2 3.14

TheJesus
05-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I ask the moderators to excuse my thread if it comes off as me just hating on a player. That was not my intention. My intention was to spark intelligent discussion. So I certainly did not anticipate all of the "in before close." I thought it was a good argument.

We think of players like Carmelo Anthony as "great" when they are one dimensional and only make themselves better. Is that a superstar player? Is that how we evaluate superstars?

TheJesus
05-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Then I guess we could say Kevin Durant is not a superstar either then? His career avg are very similar to KDs.

reb assist steals TO
Melo 6.3 3.1 1.1 2.99
KD 6.6 2.8 1.2 3.14

Kevin Durant does not dominate the ball nearly as much as Carmelo Anthony. KD does not constantly call for the ball. The most telling image of Carmelo Anthony's game is the image where he was furious calling the ball for the post and visibly showed how angry he was when the Knicks dared run a play that didn't include him touching the ball/

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 10:03 PM
His losing percentage is relevant. It's relevant enough to be plastered on a live NBA game, talked about on talk-show radio, and discussed by fans. Just because it's about a player you are a fan of does not mean anyone is "hating" on Carmelo Anthony.

If the stat was shared by Lebron James, for example, and these threads focused on James I doubt you would be protesting at all. You would be partaking.

The reason why the losing percentage stat is relevant to Carmelo as a player is because no aspect of his game makes people around him better. ANd he has had plenty of talent to be, at least, average.

He is the hot topic. He will be discussed. The 3,000 Jeremy Lin Threads were talked about because he was a hot topic. You were not complaining then because it was positive.

So you're saying the team he has now with the injuries and the fact that NONE of the role players could make shots (JR 27% shooting last night) is solely Melo's fault. You are right then, it is all on Melo's hands.

JeffG20
05-04-2012, 10:05 PM

some people dont like melo, deal with it. he didnt exactly say anything that wasent true. a hate thread would be if he didnt give any reason behind it but alot of what he said was true

ManRam
05-04-2012, 10:05 PM

reb assist steals TO
Melo 6.3 3.1 1.1 2.99
KD 6.6 2.8 1.2 3.14

I think people overrate team success...and often are unable to really understand why or why not a team is having success...But Durant has had more team success. That's a big reason he's regarded higher. Is that fair? Probably not. Although, I do think Melo had some really solid teams in Denver, teams that other super stars (Kobe, Wade, Dwight and especially LeBron) could have done more with.

Also, he's a MUCH more efficient scorer. No one has answered my question about why Melo is considered, basically universally, as being one of the two best scorers in the world...but Durant DEFINITELY is one of the two best. He can create any shot he wants, and, unlike Melo, scores at a tremendously efficient rate. For fun, tell me why Melo is an elite/top 2-3 scorer in the NBA. I'm beginning to not see it.

Counting stats tell a tiny part of the story...there are more telling stats that explain why Durant is clearly a better player...and I think you know that.

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Kevin Durant does not dominate the ball nearly as much as Carmelo Anthony. KD does not constantly call for the ball. The most telling image of Carmelo Anthony's game is the image where he was furious calling the ball for the post and visibly showed how angry he was when the Knicks dared run a play that didn't include him touching the ball/

Maybe you didnt watch the series much but did you see what happens when they run the ball through anyone else??!! Novak would pump fake dribble off his knee. JR would dribble til the shot clock almost expired then do a step back brick. Tyson couldnt catch a ball to save his life. Amare doing what Amare does. I could keep going and going.
Back to the KD point. LOL Kd doesnt need to call for it as much bc he has 2 other BIG time scorers on his team, even though they run A LOT of Isos also

JeffG20
05-04-2012, 10:07 PM

so because you wouldnt do it means no one else should?

forums or here for the purpose of discussing the positives and negatives.

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I think people overrate team success...and often are unable to really understand why or why not a team is having success...But Durant has had more team success. That's a big reason he's regarded higher. Is that fair? Probably not. Although, I do think Melo had some really solid teams in Denver, teams that other super stars (Kobe, Wade, Dwight and especially LeBron) could have done more with.

Also, he's a MUCH more efficient scorer. No one has answered my question about why Melo is considered, basically universally, as being one of the two best scorers in the world...but Durant DEFINITELY is one of the two best. He can create any shot he wants, and, unlike Melo, scores at a tremendously efficient rate. For fun, tell me why Melo is an elite/top 2-3 scorer in the NBA. I'm beginning to not see it.

Counting stats tell a tiny part of the story...there are more telling stats that explain why Durant is clearly a better player...and I think you know that.

KD is primarily a jump shooter. He does make a lot of his shots and I never argue how good of a scorer he is when he is on. But if you watched Melo you would see how good of a scorer he is with many efficient tools. But I will admit since playing in NY he hasnt been consistent one bit, he will have great games but also have bad ones. Point his that he is a great mid range shooter and is strong enough to score down low, even with not having the explosiveness as other superstars.

KnicksTape
05-04-2012, 10:12 PM

How ignorant are you? Calm down internet tough guy telling one to "Deal with it and attempting to one line ever answer to mine. I said it was pointless and a boring subject to discuss. Same reason why some on here dont stoop low and try to hate on a player as soon as something negative happens.

ManRam
05-04-2012, 10:19 PM
KD is primarily a jump shooter. He does make a lot of his shots and I never argue how good of a scorer he is when he is on. But if you watched Melo you would see how good of a scorer he is with many efficient tools. But I will admit since playing in NY he hasnt been consistent one bit, he will have great games but also have bad ones. Point his that he is a great mid range shooter and is strong enough to score down low, even with not having the explosiveness as other superstars.

Just for fun...why does it matter HOW you score. Shouldn't all that matter is how efficiently you score? Durant may be a jump shooter...but he's a damn good and a damn efficient jump shooter. He makes almost 50% of his shots compared to Melo's low 40s, and gets to the line more. Especially when comparing players at the same position (ie not comparing Tyson Chandler to Derek Rose on offense).

Look at one of the most easy to understand stat there is: point per shot. Durant is #6 at 1.43 points per shot. Anthony is 54th with 1.21 points per shot. Now, I know this is a flawed stat, but I think the point is clearly made.

Dade County
05-04-2012, 10:29 PM
All this Melo hate is getting out of control... He does not have the driving to the basket ability that Wade & Lbj have; :"Kobe used to have that too in his prime".

So Melo really can't cause havoc on a defense like the above players;but if he's "J" is on, all that means is, he is winning the 1 on 1 battle. This league is set up for players that can drive to the basket at will and leave defenses shacking their head ( but their are once in a generation players like KD that can just shoot lights out ).

And to me their are only 3 Super star players in the league ( Global Reach )

Lbj... Wade... Kobe

Up coming super stars:

rose.... KD... etc

and the rest are just stars.

THE GIPPER
05-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Melo has just been getting destroyed on these boards lately

jim51990
05-04-2012, 10:49 PM
Melo has been overrated forever hes simply a bigger monta ellis

Meaze_Gibson
05-04-2012, 11:06 PM
I say Melo is a superstar because he can score from anywhere,has a high bball iq, great rebounder, consistently leads teams to playoffs, Unreal in clutch moments, and has proven in his career that with healthy teams he can play great basketball.

4 POINT PLAY LJ
05-04-2012, 11:08 PM
Then I guess Kobe Bryant is not a superstar, so isnt shaq. I could name a few more.....

raiderfaninTX
05-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Then I guess Kobe Bryant is not a superstar, so isnt shaq. I could name a few more.....

the fact that you want to put melo on the same level as those is laughable

NYK4L
05-04-2012, 11:30 PM

People! Listen to this guy, he's here to exiplain the rules of this forum to us. :clap:

justinnum1
05-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Am i still considered a hater if i say he's not top 10?

felixng2012
05-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Eh depends on what you consider a superstar. I think he is a superstar but just borderline.

NYK4L
05-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Am i still considered a hater if i say he's not top 10?

No. Just post it, or did you want your question answered.

Kashmir13579
05-04-2012, 11:49 PM
The thing i find ironic about Carmelo is he makes the game harder than it has to be. There is no reason that a player with his physical capabilities can't find a way to get easy looks at the basket. People talk about his offensive arsenal as if 75% of the shots he takes aren't flat-out bonehead shots. He should take notes from Lebron and Dwade who ran circles around the Knicks, cutting in and out of the lane, moving superbly without the ball.

As far as i'm concerned 'Melo has 2 moves in his arsenal:
1. contested jumper from the elbow
2. Barreling into a triple-team, flailing arms to create contact, rarely looking to pass out of said triple-team, complaining when no foul was called.

His whole career is based on his ability to hit well-contested, bad shots. The thing coaches always say about 'Melo is the nights he kills you, there is almost nothing you can do about it. You can't defend bad shots; but in the playoffs, you can't rely on a single player to win a 7 game series taking bad shots. I think 'Melo's playoff shooting %s back that up.

I even feel as if 'Melo looks to pass LESS in the playoffs. Granted the Miami defense has been closing out considerably well on shooters, but we haven't even seen 'Melo try to get other players involved. Miami's defense isn't that good that a superstar can't create an open look for a teammate when doubled and tripled. In this series, more often than not, the only thing that results in a 'Melo triple-team is more bricks than you need to build a house. His head is down and he isn't looking to pass.

My question is this, what was different in his run to the WCFs? Was he simply on fire, or was it that particular Denver team complimented his game the most?

justinnum1
05-04-2012, 11:49 PM
I guess it was rhetorical. I do think the melo and the knicks will be a lot better next season with a legit coach(one that knows more than just an iso offense) but melo has to want to improve his game, way way to one dimensional.

NYK4L
05-04-2012, 11:57 PM
I guess it was rhetorical. I do think the melo and the knicks will be a lot better next season with a legit coach(one that knows more than just an iso offense) but melo has to want to improve his game, way way to one dimensional.

Woddy's not bad to have on a coaching staff, he's not just the answer at HC. Let's not forget he is just interim.

Kashmir13579
05-04-2012, 11:58 PM

I doubt we're gonna see 'Melo want to improve his game until he loses a step. He doesn't see anything wrong with his game. He better be ready though, because another season like this and he will get the Marbury treatment from the fans. The honeymoon is over. Its been over.

PrettyBoyJ
05-05-2012, 12:00 AM
One thing i agree with is Melo doesnt really make others around him better.. A lot lf players complain of lack pf ball movement when hes on the court.. But as far a superstar i think ppl need to find out what is rhe exact criteria to be considered a superstar.. His name is constantly in the air when superstars are ejng mentioned.. Personally I dont think he is, but some if the things hes done are impressive

justinnum1
05-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Yea, i mean, hate lebron all you want but the guy wants to be an all time great, he has that mentality, he might fail at times and choke at other times but you cant say he doesnt want it. I can honestly question wether melo wants it or not.

felixng2012
05-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Melo takes too many difficult shots.

Fresno
05-05-2012, 12:25 AM
Melo takes too many difficult shots.

But he makes them.

He has a weird, funky game sort of like an Adrian Dantley where its hard to critique his game because hes the only guy who plays like that.

felixng2012
05-05-2012, 12:28 AM
But he makes them.

He has a weird, funky game sort of like an Adrian Dantley where its hard to critique his game because hes the only guy who plays like that.

A lot of people make difficult shots. He is one of the few people who can make them but it hurts his efficiency especially when he is cold.

Damnation
05-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Original point on this thread was well worth posting and valid one.

While Melo is an profilic scorer and can single handed carry team to single game win, he does lack on lot of other areas and can be playin like black hole that swallows ball and kills offence team offence. But yet he is great scorer.

But then again being a superstar has lot of other angles in NBA than just overall skills on court. And him getting lot of "emotional" reaction on this thread alone is one sign that he is a superstar.

ryang
05-05-2012, 12:32 AM
he is not playing like a superstar in this series regardless of circumstances..

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Original point on this thread was well worth posting and valid one.

While Melo is an profilic scorer and can single handed carry team to single game win, he does lack on lot of other areas and can be playin like black hole that swallows ball and kills offence team offence. But yet he is great scorer.

But then again being a superstar has lot of other angles in NBA than just overall skills on court. And him getting lot of "emotional" reaction on this thread alone is one sign that he is a superstar.

Bottom line is, if his team was winning and had the exact same stat lines as he does now and scoring the same amount has he has done his whole career, people wouldn't say he is not a "superstar". Tmac never showed up in the playoffs yet many ppl considered him a superstar during his prime

Fresno
05-05-2012, 12:34 AM
A lot of people make difficult shots. He is one of the few people who can make them but it hurts his efficiency especially when he is cold.
True, but you have to take the good with the bad with his style of play.

You can make the same argument for Kobe.

Melo just needs to figure out when to defer to his teammates, and then when to re-establish himself in games.

h2r09
05-05-2012, 12:39 AM
difference between melo and lebron. when lebron isn't shooting well, he is still the best player on the court most of the time. melo can't do much of anything productive when his shot its falling.

Bulldogs100
05-05-2012, 12:50 AM
According to your definition of a superstar... there are only a handful in the nba. nba players are more worried about the logo on their shoes than the logo on the jersey. it is such a disappointing league....

ryang
05-05-2012, 12:59 AM
^ maybe to you.. NFL NBA COLLEGE FOOTBALL.. in that order

C_Mund
05-05-2012, 01:43 AM

I'm by no means a Melo supporter, but I recognize that the international game requires different skill-sets than does the NBA brand. Melo's size and scoring ability makes him one of the most deadly players on the US squad. It's the same thing that makes Bosh an incredible defender under the FIBA umbrella.

PleaseBeNice
05-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Dont you dare criticize a Knicks player

Trueblue2
05-05-2012, 02:34 AM
I'm sick of people bashing iverson for his lack of passing, the second best scorer on the sixers was eric snow, what the **** was he supposed to do? It's amazing he carried that team for as long as he did and he deserves a lot more credit than the average fan gives him.

When he was on a team that actually had other scorers he showed that he was not nearly as selfish with the ball as people thought, just the ball hog label never got dropped.

Pretty unrelated to the main point of the thread, but the OP did bring up iverson.

ztilzer31
05-05-2012, 02:56 AM
The only difference between a superstar and a star is how many games the team wins. In all honesty it's the biggest problem I have with Kobe. He's a top 3 scorer of all time, but he's not elite at anything else on the court. He's an average defender, and an average passer at best. Wins and losses decide superstars. The only exception in the league is Kevin Love IMO.

By the way Aaron Mckie was way better on offense than Eric Snow... Also that 76ers team was built like the bulls. One scorer and a bunch of great defenders. If AI didn't shoot about 5 bad shots a game maybe he'd get more love.

Patman
05-05-2012, 03:39 AM
His Team success is one thing, but what makes him highly suspect to me are his playoff performances. He had one great Postseason in 09 and the Nuggets went deep into the playoffs. But with this season included he had 5 Playoffs with a TS% under 50% and a ORTG under 100, he even is on track to produce 2 two Playoffs with a ORTG under 90. Oh and he managed to have 4 seasons with negative WS/48. Name me another Superstar that has performed that bad that often in the playoffs.

I really thought he would get over the hump after the 09 playoffs, had a nice run with that nuggets team. But somehow it seems he has regressed a bit since then. This series is just brutal for Melo because he has to go up against james on isolations, you have to fault Melo for not being able to move of the ball and make life easier for himself.

Donuts365
05-05-2012, 03:56 AM
Melo is a superstar, give him a legit 2nd scoring option & the Knicks r competing for the title, Amare is just sad at this point....

that sums it up perfectly another option and attack plus spot up role plays jr novak but thats all they have need more tho

Donuts365
05-05-2012, 04:02 AM
The thing i find ironic about Carmelo is he makes the game harder than it has to be. There is no reason that a player with his physical capabilities can't find a way to get easy looks at the basket. People talk about his offensive arsenal as if 75% of the shots he takes aren't flat-out bonehead shots. He should take notes from Lebron and Dwade who ran circles around the Knicks, cutting in and out of the lane, moving superbly without the ball.

As far as i'm concerned 'Melo has 2 moves in his arsenal:
1. contested jumper from the elbow
2. Barreling into a triple-team, flailing arms to create contact, rarely looking to pass out of said triple-team, complaining when no foul was called.

His whole career is based on his ability to hit well-contested, bad shots. The thing coaches always say about 'Melo is the nights he kills you, there is almost nothing you can do about it. You can't defend bad shots; but in the playoffs, you can't rely on a single player to win a 7 game series taking bad shots. I think 'Melo's playoff shooting %s back that up.

I even feel as if 'Melo looks to pass LESS in the playoffs. Granted the Miami defense has been closing out considerably well on shooters, but we haven't even seen 'Melo try to get other players involved. Miami's defense isn't that good that a superstar can't create an open look for a teammate when doubled and tripled. In this series, more often than not, the only thing that results in a 'Melo triple-team is more bricks than you need to build a house. His head is down and he isn't looking to pass.

My question is this, what was different in his run to the WCFs? Was he simply on fire, or was it that particular Denver team complimented his game the most?

stop comparing him to wade and lebron melos not fast enough or alethic enough to do all the things they do hes a kobe type player

Donuts365
05-05-2012, 04:07 AM
durant got shut down last year by a 39 year old jason kid he a great scorer but put ya body into him dont let him get by you like a tony allan type defender easy to stop

Donuts365
05-05-2012, 04:09 AM
thats my only problem with him if he learns a post move sky hook anything he will be unstoppable hes a better shooter than melo

broncofangene
05-05-2012, 04:09 AM
MELO=Glenn Robinson check the numbers almost identical.

Him and Lamar Odom are the two laziest players in the NBA.

meloman1592
05-05-2012, 04:14 AM
I've seen it all...Kevin Love is a superstar but Carmelo Anthony is not....yup, makes perfect sense

Kuya_Clive
05-05-2012, 04:23 AM
everyone has their own definition of a superstar. The dictionary definition is "a star (as in sports or the movies) who is considered extremely talented, has great public appeal, and can usually command a high salary."

I think Melo fits the definition. He is pretty well known, even to people who don't follow basketball that much imo. He does command a high salary and he is very talented, although there are better players. He may not be the best out of all the superstars, but I think he falls in that category at least. However, ever since joining the Knicks, Melo has been very inconsistent in the games I have seen him play in so I can understand why people don't think he is a superstar. There were stretches where all he took was contested jump shots and his play suffered. But, over the course of his career, I think he is a "superstar." This is according to the dictionary definition of superstar. Like I said earlier, people have their own definition of superstar, and if they don't think Melo is a superstar, then he doesn't fit their definition of superstar.

QueensG
05-05-2012, 09:39 AM
if you melo haters think Durant is a superstar then melo has to be one too because they both pretty much score and get boards that's about it...the thunder just have a better supporting cast

29$JerZ
05-05-2012, 09:41 AM
He could be a Top 5 player.His mindset disallows that from happening.
LeBron and Durant are superior to him. No big deal. He is still a top positional player which is all that should matter for most teams. Not every team can have the best player.

effen5
05-05-2012, 09:51 AM
I've seen it all...Kevin Love is a superstar but Carmelo Anthony is not....yup, makes perfect sense

I'm sorry but I actually believe this. Kevin helps on his team in a million different ways and has an impact in a million different ways.

Melo is a one way player sadly (granted his defense has improved tremendously) but if someone asked me, who do you want on your team? Melo or Love? I'd chose Love 10/10 times.

Kobes a Killer
05-05-2012, 10:35 AM
Melo is a superstar :)

felixng2012
05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I don't even consider Kevin Love a superstar(his team hasn't played well due to injuries) yet but I much rather have Love than Melo. Melo is a superstar though.

NYY 26 to 7
05-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Rose hasn't won shoots just as much and similar % for career. LeBron has never won and went to team up with wade and bosh. This is a horrible hate thread. Melo played hard, scored, rebounded, and passed very well all down the stretch. The Knicks have been awful in the playoffs but we have no pg haven't played very good D and no one including melo has played well.

KnickNyKnick
05-05-2012, 11:55 AM
Basketball. bas·ket·ball. noun. /ˈbaskitˌbôl/: A game played between two teams of five players in which goals are scored by throwing a ball through a netted hoop fixed above each end of the court.

Somewhere along the line, Carmelo Anthony forgot the definition of Basketball. It was probably somewhere around high school, when he discovered that he was significantly more talented than anyone else on the court. Where his coaches, friends, family, and eager scouts refused to criticize a prolific scorer for fear of feeling his displeasure. Maybe it was then that Carmelo Anthony forgot the definition of Basketball. That it is a game played between two teams of five players, and not one on five.

Or maybe Carmelo Anthony is taking the definition of Basketball literally. Maybe to Carmelo Anthony, Basketball, is only about "throwing a ball through a netted hoop." It sure seems like it, doesn't it?

Carmelo Anthony has been described as "Allen Iverson with 5 inches and 36 pounds," an acknowledgement of his prolific scoring ability but a criticism of his inability to play the team sport. But even Allen Eliza Iverson averaged nearly 8 assists a game in his prime. Even Allen Eliza Iverson managed to take an inferior bunch of castoffs who, without him, were worthless, to the NBA Finals. So I refuse to acknowledge that Carmelo Anthony is Iverson with 5 inches and 36 pounds. He isn't even in Iverson's league.

Carmelo Anthony is not a superstar basketball player. He is a prolific scorer who cannot play the game with other people. His playoff record is evidence of his inability to take teams with talent anywhere, while superior players like Iverson and James can take inept teams to the Finals.

Carmelo is the reason why Steve Nash, or any other competent point guard, will ever come to the Knicks - because the ball has to always go through Carmelo Anthony. This is the Knicks. Carmelo + Amare + Chandler. Lin will not develop because Carmelo will not let him. He is not a superstar player.

Basketball is not only scoring. It involves Scoring, Defense, Leadership, and Making others better. Who has Carmelo Anthony ever made better? In his career? Name me a player that Carmelo Anthony has elevated as high as, let's say, Lebron elevated Daniel Boobie Gibson even. Carmelo Anthony should not be in the conversation for the top 10 best basketball players in this league. Anyone who lists him in the top 10 is ignoring other facets of the game.

Carmelo Anthony does two things: Carmelo scores, Carmelo sells tickets. And for that, he will always have a job and will always be a Knick. But he will never win a championship. It shouldn't be Lebron we all worry about, it should be Carmelo.

What are your top 10 players in this league, including all facets of the game?

oh no not another teen movie! (melo thread) :facepalm:

NYY 26 to 7
05-05-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm sorry but I actually believe this. Kevin helps on his team in a million different ways and has an impact in a million different ways.

Melo is a one way player sadly (granted his defense has improved tremendously) but if someone asked me, who do you want on your team? Melo or Love? I'd chose Love 10/10 times.

Helps his team do what? Never even make the playoffs? How can people make statements like this and base it on Melo not helping his team win yet Love has never made the playoffs and Melo never missed the playoffs and has been to the WCF and lost in an amazing series against the lakers. Rose hasn't won lebron hasn't durant hasn't. So this matter of using a championship as the measure doesn't pan out. Dirk was thought of as a guy who could score and that's it - plays much less d than melo and isn't that great of a rebounder for a 7ft pf. Then he won a championship and he is now above criticism.

4 POINT PLAY LJ
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
The guy earns 60 million, he doesn't care what other people think. He does his job and goes home, just like everyone else.

mrblisterdundee
05-05-2012, 02:11 PM
You're blaming Carmello Anthony when you should be blaming the Knicks' front office. The team made a bad pairing of Anthony and Amare Stoudemire; they're savior Donny Walsh left because of that huge mistake. Carmello is a superstar, in the sense that he's such a prolific scorer. He's just the kind that needs a good point guard to pass to him. Stoudemire is the same.

Crackadalic
05-05-2012, 02:22 PM
You're blaming Carmello Anthony when you should be blaming the Knicks' front office. The team made a bad pairing of Anthony and Amare Stoudemire; they're savior Donny Walsh left because of that huge mistake. Carmello is a superstar, in the sense that he's such a prolific scorer. He's just the kind that needs a good point guard to pass to him. Stoudemire is the same.

You pretty much answer it right there

Here's a quote from Alan Hahn

As for the "Melo can't play with Amar'e" argument. Spare me the record. Get a true playmaking point guard on this team and then tell me it can't work. Tell Jason Kidd he can't make it work with these two. Tell Steve Nash. A lot of ignorance dominating this debate right now. PG position is hyper-critical for this team. Hundred-million dollar frontcourt, 10 cent backcourt (without Lin and Iman) never works. Like having great wide receivers but no quarterback.

If anything Tyson and Amare don't work together.

ryang
05-05-2012, 02:34 PM
mello>>>> love.. and i hate the knicks and mello..

AIRMAR72
05-05-2012, 03:29 PM
I don't even consider Kevin Love a superstar(his team hasn't played well due to injuries) yet but I much rather have Love than Melo. Melo is a superstar though. melo like kobe along with few others players are star players but they enter the league as superstar all branded by the media now kevin love came in the league and earn the rite to be called a superstar HE TOOK IT its not his fault if is team dont have the players not everyone get to be place in a position like kobe to start his career on a championship caliber team put melo on the lakers....

ManningToTyree
05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
He is a superstar

Chronz
05-05-2012, 05:11 PM
He is a superstar
There must be alot of superstars in the nba then

Punk
05-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Jesus Christ, Rose averaged 30% against Miami in the playoffs and they lost the series 4-1. How is he considered a superstar then? Melo is averaging 33% and down 3-0 without key players.

What is the freaking difference aside from the 1st round and 3rd round? The Knicks are not built to beat Miami. They statistically do better against Chicago.

This is why PSD is a joke. Nobody says a word when Melo was averaging 30per game & shooting 50% with a triple double & 5 assists per game. Now, that he's having trouble scoring against the Heat defense, everyone wants to undermine him as a star.

Yet, Kevin Love is better and he's never made the playoffs :laugh2:

Unreal. Folks, unreal. You all are a joke to believe this.

Raph12
05-05-2012, 05:16 PM
There are only Lebron, Dwight, Durant, CP3 and Wade are the only guys I hold in very high regard who I'd call bonafide superstars in today's league, guys like Kobe are showing signs of decline and guys like Rose haven't got there yet... IMO of course.

29$JerZ
05-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Jesus Christ, Rose averaged 30% against Miami in the playoffs and they lost the series 4-1. How is he considered a superstar then? Melo is averaging 33% and down 3-0 without key players.

What is the freaking difference aside from the 1st round and 3rd round? The Knicks are not built to beat Miami. They statistically do better against Chicago.

This is why PSD is a joke. Nobody says a word when Melo was averaging 30per game & shooting 50% with a triple double & 5 assists per game. Now, that he's having trouble scoring against the Heat defense, everyone wants to undermine him as a star.

Yet, Kevin Love is better and he's never made the playoffs :laugh2:

Unreal. Folks, unreal. You all are a joke to believe this.

Rose is much younger than Melo and has accomplished more success in the regular season and playoffs than Melo has through his entire career.

It's understandable why Chicago last year only had Rose as an offensive option so its no coincidence when Miami makes him a non factor the Bulls almost get Swept.

Nobody says a word because he was performing well. Now he isn't so he is fair game to criticism. Why should anyone else say anything positive about Melo thus far this postseason? Because he had an Amazing April? How about an Amazing Post season where he doesn't disappoint twice?

Melo has had 2 games after that Game 1 debacle to shut up people and has came up short twice.

PSD is a joke because people are oversensitive to their own fanbase team being criticized.

Sssmush
05-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Carmelo is for sure my least favorite player.

I don't enjoy watching him play, and even when he makes a superlative play or a nice highlight, it kind irks me for some reason.

I'm not sure what the reason is, I definitely don't hate him. I can actually appreciate it when a player I clearly dislike or kind of hate (say, Pierce, Ginobili, CP3) makes a great play. Even though they are "the enemy" I can still appreciate that they made a great play.

Carmelo... I'm not sure what it is. First of all I guess he just looks kind of soft, he's got that borderline soft flabby type of body. And it's something about the way he moves around on the court, like this casual sense of entitlement. And it always seems so blatantly obvious in the look on his face that the game is always completely selfish for him.

Like when he makes a shot, you can just see the wheels turning, ok, you're one step closer to the Olympic team, if you make ten more of those then you've reestablished that you're elite, what the shoe companies said, etc. Like, the Knicks are clearly losing the game, but he makes a shot and you can just see that he's thinking like "Yeah, that's what they brought me here to do". I know that may not make sense but I can't totally put my finger on what it is.

when he's missing shots, or, even worse, when somebody ELSE is making the big plays, for instance Jeremy Lin, then the expression on his face is super easy to read, somewhere between jealousy, anger, frustration, lack of confidence and "they took my toys." When a great play occurs and he didn't even touch the ball, he starts to kind of mope up and down the court, like, "why am I even bothering to run up the floor? I haven't touched the ball in 2 possessions. I'm thinking about quitting." When he was sitting on the sidelines and Lin was red-hot Carmelo was just absolutely transparent in what he was thinking, "hey, he is not me."

When the Knicks made their little face-saving underachieving weak-*** playoff run to get the 7th or 8th spot, mostly courtesy of the other teams there tanking like muthas, it was really whack to see Carmelo bouncing around pretending to be excited for the team, chest bumping and all that, when you can always see that again the wheels are turning and the thoughts are on "I wonder if that is enough to get me back on the Olympic team" or "you know I am the star of all this" or whatever. It just looks fake. Like, yeah, I'm so excited we just beat the Bobcats at the Garden, chest bump, high five, Melo scores 30 points HE IS BACK. Then Stephen A. Smith ranting about how "This was never about Jer-e-Me LIN! This was ne-ver a-bout D-An-Toni!! Everybody knows this was always about Car-Melo! And when Melo is back, that's the way it's gotta be in NY because he is the superstar!!"

Just uggggh. Like a never ending avalanche of bull****. I don't know what is wrong with the Knicks, why the can never can a legit great player. Amare was the free agent boobie prize, and Carmelo was a big underachiever with a giant shoe contract and a fancy mustaschio.

Meaze_Gibson
05-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Rose is much younger than Melo and has accomplished more success in the regular season and playoffs than Melo has through his entire career.

It's understandable why Chicago last year only had Rose as an offensive option so its no coincidence when Miami makes him a non factor the Bulls almost get Swept.

Nobody says a word because he was performing well. Now he isn't so he is fair game to criticism. Why should anyone else say anything positive about Melo thus far this postseason? Because he had an Amazing April? How about an Amazing Post season where he doesn't disappoint twice?

Melo has had 2 games after that Game 1 debacle to shut up people and has came up short twice.

PSD is a joke because people are oversensitive to their own fanbase team being criticized.

Game two Melo had a good game tho.

Meaze_Gibson
05-05-2012, 07:14 PM
[QUOTE=Sssmush;22071657]Carmelo is for sure my least favorite player.

QUOTE]

Can't quote all of that but it shows. By the way, Knicks did not just play teams who gave up. He had to play many teams such as Pacers, 76ers, Bucks, Bulls, Orlando who were jockeying for playoff position.

We understand tho, you don't like him. But also tell how you don't like the costly turnovers of Landry Fields and Jr Smith on key possessions. Also tell how when Carmelo swings the ball it usually ends up in a turnover or a wide open three missed. Dude is not a Lebron player who can run an offense but does create opportunities for others to score. Problem is that these Playoff Knicks do not have the talent to capitalize.

Sssmush
05-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Like everybody in the media, every single reporter, could hate Pierce or CP3 or Kobe, and those guys would still do amazing numbers and put up championships and championship performances.

The thing I notice about Carmelo, is that the media always has to be so super careful to give him his "props" and respect, even though, if we really look at it he's quite inconsistent and super overrated, kind of like a more sensitive egotistical version of Glen Rice or something. Like seriously, ESPN has to have entire segments about "How will Carmelo adjust to Lin when he comes back from vacation" or whatever, like because Carmelo is in New York they have to try so hard to make Carmelo "happen" in the media or something.

And it just seems like, if they stopped hyping him, on his own he's not going to do anything that will really set him apart or demand attention or stardom in the NBA. It's like he's not really a star player, or is at best kind of a minor star, but the media insist over and over to promote him as this big superstar, which makes the situation weird. There's at least 20 players in the NBA right now that if they were in NY would absolutely deliver and deserve the superstar attention, and Carmelo isn't actually one of them.

Start with

Rudy Gay
L Aldridge
Zach Randolph
Pau Gasol
Bynum
Kobe
CP3
Griffin
Pierce
Duncan
Rose
Deron williams
Joe Johnson
Al Horford
Lebron
Wade
Bosh
Granger
Dwight Howard
Igoudala
Kevin Love
Monta Ellis
John Wall
Kyrie Irving
Kevin Durant
Russell Westbrook
and Steve Nash

ANY of whom would be vastly superior to Carmelo in NY and would truly rise to the occasion and be deserving of all the hype and stardom, and would elevate the Knicks as a team. Right now the Knicks are actually WORSE than during the Isaiah joke days, imo, because the only thing on in every time slot and on every channel for the next 7 years is the freakin' Carmelo show, with endless commercial interruptions.

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 07:40 PM
The fact that the guy above just said one of the reasons he doesnt like carmelo is because of his body type is the main reason why you can't discuss anything on here :facepalm::facepalm:

NYY 26 to 7
05-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Like everybody in the media, every single reporter, could hate Pierce or CP3 or Kobe, and those guys would still do amazing numbers and put up championships and championship performances.

The thing I notice about Carmelo, is that the media always has to be so super careful to give him his "props" and respect, even though, if we really look at it he's quite inconsistent and super overrated, kind of like a more sensitive egotistical version of Glen Rice or something. Like seriously, ESPN has to have entire segments about "How will Carmelo adjust to Lin when he comes back from vacation" or whatever, like because Carmelo is in New York they have to try so hard to make Carmelo "happen" in the media or something.

And it just seems like, if they stopped hyping him, on his own he's not going to do anything that will really set him apart or demand attention or stardom in the NBA. It's like he's not really a star player, or is at best kind of a minor star, but the media insist over and over to promote him as this big superstar, which makes the situation weird. There's at least 20 players in the NBA right now that if they were in NY would absolutely deliver and deserve the superstar attention, and Carmelo isn't actually one of them.

Start with

Rudy Gay
L Aldridge
Zach Randolph
Pau Gasol
Bynum
Kobe
CP3
Griffin
Pierce
Duncan
Rose
Deron williams
Joe Johnson
Al Horford
Lebron
Wade
Bosh
Granger
Dwight Howard
Igoudala
Kevin Love
Monta Ellis
John Wall
Kyrie Irving
Kevin Durant
Russell Westbrook
and Steve Nash

ANY of whom would be vastly superior to Carmelo in NY and would truly rise to the occasion and be deserving of all the hype and stardom, and would elevate the Knicks as a team. Right now the Knicks are actually WORSE than during the Isaiah joke days, imo, because the only thing on in every time slot and on every channel for the next 7 years is the freakin' Carmelo show, with endless commercial interruptions.

Obviously from your posts you really really hate him but you follow up that hate with completely baseless claims.

His repuation has done nothing but go down since coming to NY and was celebrated as a top 5 player his whole time in Denver but people like to hate on NY players. While everyone makes excuses for Rose, James, and Durant who have yet to win anything but individual praise. It isn't Melo wearing shirts that say check my stats. That list you put up has no base and is horrible - not sure what your even trying to get at with that laughable list (btw glad you pay attention we had Zach Randolph and hated him and he was awful). You said Melo is soft which he is anything but soft - the guy takes on big guys in the post and bangs inside and finishes very strong. You clearly don't know much about basketball and just like to spit blind hate. Look at the guys career numbers and compare them to your **** list - and Melo's teams have never missed the playoffs.

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Obviously from your posts you really really hate him but you follow up that hate with completely baseless claims.

His repuation has done nothing but go down since coming to NY and was celebrated as a top 5 player his whole time in Denver but people like to hate on NY players. While everyone makes excuses for Rose, James, and Durant who have yet to win anything but individual praise. It isn't Melo wearing shirts that say check my stats. That list you put up has no base and is horrible - not sure what your even trying to get at with that laughable list (btw glad you pay attention we had Zach Randolph and hated him and he was awful). You said Melo is soft which he is anything but soft - the guy takes on big guys in the post and bangs inside and finishes very strong. You clearly don't know much about basketball and just like to spit blind hate. Look at the guys career numbers and compare them to your **** list - and Melo's teams have never missed the playoffs.

He said Griffin would deliver more than Melo LOL that is all you had to see. The one trick pony would do nothing to help, especially with the PG situation

koreancabbage
05-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Melo is not a superstar- superstars take their team to the next level and can win a series by themselves.

Anyone that uses the excuse that "when Melo was in the West, they faced tough teams ********" totally creates the point that Melo can't win by himself nor does he take his game to the next level (poor shooting percentages is not helping)

He's a star, no doubt, but not a superstar.

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Melo is not a superstar- superstars take their team to the next level and can win a series by themselves.

Anyone that uses the excuse that "when Melo was in the West, they faced tough teams ********" totally creates the point that Melo can't win by himself nor does he take his game to the next level (poor shooting percentages is not helping)

He's a star, no doubt, but not a superstar.

Then I guess all the Hall of Fame superstars that never won a ring weren't actually superstars because they didnt win the final series "by themselves"

boolish
05-05-2012, 08:17 PM
wasn't even one under the "old" definition. :facepalm:

AIsixersFK
05-05-2012, 08:27 PM
I like how people dog Amare but people forget he was an MVP candidate before Melo got there. Lin was playing at a level out of this world before Melo returned from injury. Melo doesn't make anyone better.

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 08:32 PM
I like how people dog Amare but people forget he was an MVP candidate before Melo got there. Lin was playing at a level out of this world before Melo returned from injury. Melo doesn't make anyone better.

Lin also got murdered by the Heat and got stripped or turn the ball over almost ever time when they played the last time with him. That was Melo's fault too.

JC_
05-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Game two Melo had a good game tho.

He was too tired to do anything in the 4th quarter

AIsixersFK
05-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Lin also got murdered by the Heat and got stripped or turn the ball over almost ever time when they played the last time with him. That was Melo's fault too.

what was Lins record as a starter before Melo came back from injury? Sweet one bad game. Everyone has them.

bucketss
05-05-2012, 08:48 PM
He said Griffin would deliver more than Melo LOL that is all you had to see. The one trick pony would do nothing to help, especially with the PG situation

do you even watch blake griffin?

JC_
05-05-2012, 08:50 PM
The bottom line is if Melo and company didn't completely quit on D'Antoni they wouldn't have faced the Heat. All they needed to do was win a few extra games. If he had problems with the coaching he could have just brought it up with management while still actually trying to follow the game plan.

I'm pretty sure if the Knicks played a different team in the first round this wouldn't even be coming up.

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 08:52 PM
do you even watch blake griffin?

do you?! He has a mediocre jumpshot. Same spinning layup that does not always work, his D is not special and for as high as he gets up, he is not a great rebounder. I mean today he had more turnovers than rebs and not to mention his PG got the same amount of boards as him. He isnt a closer since he cant make free throws. So you can take BG over Melo all you want.

meloman1592
05-05-2012, 08:55 PM
We have a thread about why or why not a guy isn't a superstar.....clearly if he wasn't worth the argument there would be no thread

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 08:55 PM
The bottom line is if Melo and company didn't completely quit on D'Antoni they wouldn't have faced the Heat. All they needed to do was win a few extra games. If he had problems with the coaching he could have just brought it up with management while still actually trying to follow the game plan.

I'm pretty sure if the Knicks played a different team in the first round this wouldn't even be coming up.

I agree, it is the entire teams lack of effort in exception to a few that put them in this situation. But D'antoni had to go eventually imo if they ever wanted to win. Small improvements have been made and I doubt they will be this low of a seed next year.

bucketss
05-05-2012, 08:59 PM
do you?! He has a mediocre jumpshot. Same spinning layup that does not always work, his D is not special and for as high as he gets up, he is not a great rebounder. I mean today he had more turnovers than rebs and not to mention his PG got the same amount of boards as him. He isnt a closer since he cant make free throws. So you can take BG over Melo all you want.

lol hes averaging a double double for his career 12 in his rookie career not a great rebounder?

KnicksTape
05-05-2012, 09:14 PM
lol hes averaging a double double for his career 12 in his rookie career not a great rebounder?

I love the way you avoided everything else I said. He is only averaging 8 a game this playoffs, less than the SF Melo. And like I said before, as high as he gets up and his strength, he should be getting more.

Sssmush
05-06-2012, 07:06 AM

yes, ok, Zach Randolph I didn't mean to put him on that list. I think all the other ones, 25 or so, are clearly better, and there are at least 10 that are so far superior to Carmelo that it's not even worth mentioning (Lebron/Kobe/CP3) etc.

I've said before that Carmelo does have a cool name, maybe one of the coolest in sports. But, aside from that... 22.6 pts a game and 6.3 rebounds, meh.

Carmelo's ok, I never said he was a terrible player. I just said that it seems like every play, every shot he's so totally aware of the cameras and all that.

Like, after the D'Antoni firing and Melo was kind of struggling and the Knicks were losing like crazy. And stories started to pop up, saying that maybe Carmelo wouldn't make the Olympic team after all this year, especially because of the D'Antoni situation.

THAT'S when Stephen A. Smith starts getting his intensity into high gear about how Carmelo is "a true superstar as superstar as any player you could every want in this league that you wanted to be a superstar for you because that's what he DOES he just goes out there and be a SUPERSTAR and I don't think anybody is gonna argue with the fact that Carmelo IS. A. SUPERSTAR. PERIOD, END OF STORY."

And then the Knicks win a few games, yay, they get into the playoffs, ok. But everytime I see Carmelo make a shot his expression just seems to say "Ok, now I'm back on the Olympic team" or something like that.

Sssmush
05-06-2012, 07:15 AM
So yeah, as far as what the OP brought up, I think it's definitely fair to question, and I really don't think Carmelo is a "superstar" at all, except in the sense that he's been promoted and marketed as such. His play on the court does not put him anywhere near superstar status, and everyone in the world saw clearly that Jeremy Lin was able to step right in to D'Antoni's offense and do way better than Melo, hitting from distance, penetrating, making the correct passes, running the offense, being clutch, everything.

It was kind of funny to watch all the media people scrambling to explain the Carmelo/Lin situation. When I think everybody knew that the Knicks had an extremely thin team with very few players, basically worse than the team 2 years ago when STAT and Melo were sitting out and everybody was mailing in the season on D'Antoni and it's just some scrubs out there playing pickup ball, while Carmelo nurses his ego on the sideline.

Then Lin showed them all what an actual baller looks like. LoL Lin played like 5 games and scored 25 pts and 10 assists and gets them a few wins and suddenly it is a huge deal and the whole town is lit up, just because ONE player goes out there and plays his heart out and can make the right pass and hit some clutch shots.

right?

mdm692
05-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Blake griffin over melo GTFO lol the only reason the clips are relevant is because of CP3 the guy is a beast.

Patman
05-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Blake griffin over melo GTFO lol the only reason the clips are relevant is because of CP3 the guy is a beast.

At least with Griffin I don't know yet what he will do over the next years in the Playoffs. With melo i know that he had 5 bad to horrible years in the playoffs, the guy isn't just average he manages to really suck. One Great playoff performance in 09 just isn't enough.

koreancabbage
05-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Then I guess all the Hall of Fame superstars that never won a ring weren't actually superstars because they didnt win the final series "by themselves"

yup close enough. Sure you can always fall one step short, like say, in the NBA Finals or something like that,

Melo hasn't really come close to it or helped along the way. He has NO LEGACY.

right now, his legacy is that he's a playoff loser whose shooting percentages plummet when times get tough.

is he a proven winner- nope. as well, does he even play defense - nope. I would say that all superstars could be at least above average on defense AND offense. Melo is just average on defense (at best). otherwise, it'll be hard to justify a player a "superstar" when he's really just a scorer and a star.

JayW_1023
05-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Carmelo is on the level of the Mitch Richmonds, Eddie Joneses, Glen Rice's and Glenn Robinsons. Good but not great.

GiantsSwaGG
05-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Plain & simple....Melo is a superstar....he's just not Elite...

/thread

Jumi
05-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Melo is a "Superstar". I'll wait to next season to make a judgement on where he ranks. I need to see what kind of team they put around him next year and how he competes. The drama and bs needs to go and he just needs to win! If Lin improves and cuts down the turnovers, Amare gives you 15-20ppg and 8 rebounds, that team should be ok. Next year is put up or shut up, honestly.

Evolution23
05-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Elite scorer and rebounder. Average defender. Star, not a superstar.

koreancabbage
05-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Plain & simple....Melo is a superstar....he's just not Elite...

/thread

what? now you just dumbed down the term superstar then. superstars are elite.

kjoke
05-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Superstar because of Media hype ect, but not elite.

therealwd27
05-06-2012, 12:57 PM
difference between melo and lebron. when lebron isn't shooting well, he is still the best player on the court most of the time. melo can't do much of anything productive when his shot its falling.

This is 100% true :clap:

If your not affecting the game on both sides of the court you CAN NOT be a superstar its simple come on wake up people

NYKnicks4511
05-06-2012, 04:36 PM
My auto-correct corrected Iverson's middle name.

Look, this isn't a hate thread. I appreciate Carmelo Anthony for what he is - a prolific scorer. Prolific is a powerful word. Carmelo Anthony is one of the most sensational scorers I have ever seen. But he so drastically fails at every other aspect of the game that it's difficult for me to consider him a top-10 player.

Carmelo Anthony is not a superstar basketball player. I have yet to see an argument supporting that. What does Carmelo Anthony do well besides score? Who does he make better besides himself?

Good rebounder for his position. Good passer, very underrated when it comes to him finding teammates that are open. He may not get the assist, but often if you watch as many Knicks games as I do, he will kick out to a wide open JR or Shumpert, who will then dish it off to Novak. He's a sub-par defender, not exactly big news. However, he's shown that when he applies himself he is definitely average, and has above average hands / stealing ability. This risky play type on defense translates to dumb fouls and lack of feet movement, however.

He's a superstar, top 10 or not is up for debate from year to year, but Carmelo can win you a series if need be... just has not had enough time to really gel with the squad. Also factor in the coaching changes.

Sssmush
05-06-2012, 07:45 PM
See, now, Miami sweeping the Knicks would've been another diss on Carmelo, so he goes out and takes like 36 shots (including the attempts he got a foul called) and manages to get 41 points so it's like "yay" and then Steven A. and everyone can jabber on for a few days about how Carmelo is a superstar who "most definitely!" is headed for the Olympic team, and that Carmelo won this game because "that's what superstars do!" and etc etc.

I mean, this will be spun as an epic Carmelo triumph, but clearly Miami just didn't capitalize on all the knick mistakes down the stretch. anyways, don't know why I am so bitter it's just annoying, but this thread you asked so I answer

NOT a superstar

KnicksTape
05-06-2012, 07:51 PM
See, now, Miami sweeping the Knicks would've been another diss on Carmelo, so he goes out and takes like 36 shots (including the attempts he got a foul called) and manages to get 41 points so it's like "yay" and then Steven A. and everyone can jabber on for a few days about how Carmelo is a superstar who "most definitely!" is headed for the Olympic team, and that Carmelo won this game because "that's what superstars do!" and etc etc.

I mean, this will be spun as an epic Carmelo triumph, but clearly Miami just didn't capitalize on all the knick mistakes down the stretch. anyways, don't know why I am so bitter it's just annoying, but this thread you asked so I answer

NOT a superstar

You are a sad individual.

meloman1592
05-06-2012, 07:53 PM

NOT a superstar

did melo **** your girl?

Crackadalic
05-06-2012, 07:57 PM

NOT a superstar

Took 29 shots

Chronz
05-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Melo had a great game but man both teams were choking

STA_PLAR
05-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Haters gonna hate....Keep hating.... hate hate hate.....I hope the Knicks win another and then it will be a series..

Highly unlikely though.

If I were redrafting the entire NBA....I would without a ****in doubt take Melo as a top 10 pick. You are lying if you wouldn't.

-Lebron
-Kobe
-Wade
-Dwight
-Rose (I think he is next on the injury prone list i.e. TMAC)
-Durant
-Westbrook
-Dirk
-Paul

I still wouldn't take Westbrook or a current Dirk over Melo. Just my opinion.

Hate it or Love it he is a top 10 player. You can't pick 10 players over him right now.

He is not having a good series and no the Knicks are not good. Miami is the better team and they outplay the Knicks. That is just bad luck to have to play arguably the best team in the league.

dbramforskins21
05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Haters gonna hate....Keep hating.... hate hate hate.....I hope the Knicks win another and then it will be a series..

Highly unlikely though.

If I were redrafting the entire NBA....I would without a ****in doubt take Melo as a top 10 pick. You are lying if you wouldn't.

-Lebron
-Kobe
-Wade
-Dwight
-Durant
-Westbrook
-Dirk
-Paul

I still wouldn't take Westbrook or a current Dirk over Melo. Just my opinion. Hate it or Love it he is a top 10 player. You can't pick 10 players over him right now.

He is not having a good series and no the Knicks are not good. Miami is the better team and they outplay the Knicks. That is just bad luck to have to play arguably the best team in the league.

Thats your opinion...

I'd take...

Lebron
Durant
Kobe
Howard
Wade
Rose
Paul
Love
Rondo (just cause I love a true point)
Westbrook

before Melo..Some people think other players are better for reasons that you dont even think are as important..Everyone has an opinion.

D12 fan
05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Melo is a top 13 player.

Lebron
Durant
Wade
Dwight
Kobe
Rose
CP3
Love
Dwill
Rondo
Westbrook
Bynum
Melo

torocan
05-06-2012, 08:38 PM

I also take some issue with his scoring efficiency and help defense, as well as wonder how consistent he's going to be on defense through next season.

Until he fixes both ends, and increases his scoring efficiency, it's hard for me to see him as more than a "star".

STA_PLAR
05-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Dude said Bynum, K Love, Rondo and Westbrook over Melo. Just blatant hate. Hate Hate Hate Hate lol.

Sssmush
05-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Highly unlikely though.

-Lebron
-Kobe
-Wade
-Dwight
-Durant
-Westbrook
-Dirk
-Paul

I still wouldn't take Westbrook or a current Dirk over Melo. Just my opinion.

Hate it or Love it he is a top 10 player. You can't pick 10 players over him right now.

omg dude, it is trivially easy to pick 10 players ahead of Carmelo, ESPECIALLY if you are rounding out team by position, which essentially makes it impossible to do anything else.

As of today:

SF - Lebron, Durant
PF - Kevin Love, Pau Gasol
C - Bynum, Dwight
SG - Kobe, Wade
PG - CP3, Westbrook

Ok, THAT'S the Top 10.

Outside of that, here are the reserves or alternates:

Deron Williams, Rondo

Joe Johnson, Griffin

Monta Ellis, Rudy Gay

and then like Pierce, Aldridge, Nowitzki

And we all know there are a few other names I could put on the list that are less clear cut, D-Rose I left off because he's injured, Tim Duncan because he's getting older, Steve Nash older. But if you had to put together a team for one season next year you would have to think long and hard about those players.

Top 5... what? Really? ... Really?

c'mon man I like the Knicks they deserve to be good

STA_PLAR
05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Thats your opinion...

I'd take...

Lebron
Durant
Kobe
Howard
Wade
Rose
Paul
Love
Rondo (just cause I love a true point)
Westbrook

before Melo..Some people think other players are better for reasons that you dont even think are as important..Everyone has an opinion.

Im glad you can clarify that it was an opinion. But if I say Chris Dudley was better than Jordan and it's my opinion, it won't mean it's logical or taken seriously. So i am sorry if i don't take your man Rondo, Love or even Westbrook seriously. I don't even think I should take that quitter Dwight and his drama all year or soon to be injury prone DRose (who is lucky he plays for a superb coach and a good franchise with some great gritty hard-nosed players).

I'm a knick fan but there was never this much hate for Melo when he was in Denver putting up great numbers with probably the best mid range game since Kobe and Mike. Not to mention he is a great post scorer and an excellent rebouder for his position.

I think it's that he plays in NY people have started to hate him more bc of dumb fans who jump to the idea that he will lead this team to an immediate title.

Personally, I think those fans are "children" and they ruin the game and this website for a lot of us.

tp13baby
05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
lol. he helped both jr smith and linus kleiza. but im sure this will get closed tho so never no mind

He helped them? how? JR Smith is a waste of talent and Linus was an up and coming player before he had to play along with Melo for 82 games/

tp13baby
05-06-2012, 09:22 PM

Elite Rebounder? no. he is good. But most of his rebounds come from not boxing an opposing guy and running and getting it. He rarely boxes out big strong guys.

tp13baby
05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Melo is a "Superstar". I'll wait to next season to make a judgement on where he ranks. I need to see what kind of team they put around him next year and how he competes. The drama and bs needs to go and he just needs to win! If Lin improves and cuts down the turnovers, Amare gives you 15-20ppg and 8 rebounds, that team should be ok. Next year is put up or shut up, honestly.

How much better of a team can the Knicks put around him. He has a supporting cast far greater than what he had in Denver.

STA_PLAR
05-06-2012, 09:29 PM
omg dude, it is trivially easy to pick 10 players ahead of Carmelo, ESPECIALLY if you are rounding out team by position, which essentially makes it impossible to do anything else.

As of today:

SF - Lebron, Durant
PF - Kevin Love, Pau Gasol
C - Bynum, Dwight
SG - Kobe, Wade
PG - CP3, Westbrook

Ok, THAT'S the Top 10.

Outside of that, here are the reserves or alternates:

Deron Williams, Rondo

Joe Johnson, Griffin

Monta Ellis, Rudy Gay

and then like Pierce, Aldridge, Nowitzki

And we all know there are a few other names I could put on the list that are less clear cut, D-Rose I left off because he's injured, Tim Duncan because he's getting older, Steve Nash older. But if you had to put together a team for one season next year you would have to think long and hard about those players.

Top 5... what? Really? ... Really?

c'mon man I like the Knicks they deserve to be good

I don't know if you know but in a draft you pick one player at a time lol. Im amused at the fact that you have Pao in your top 10 over Melo...who in Memphis failed to win more than 1 or 2 games and is now the third option on the Lakers (sad pick).

Im talking about current players and because they are old it makes players like Duncan and Nash and Nowitizki hard to pick bc you would want to build around your star player.

I don't know where you got your Basketball PHD from but I would never pick Melo after Pau or Pierce or Bynum right now to build around...your response is a joke Im sorry. All your reserves are too old, too young and BLAKE GRIFFIN over MELO? He wouldn't make the playoff without CP3.

Lord! Some of you PSD guys make me laugh!

Meaze_Gibson
05-06-2012, 10:32 PM
He helped them? how? JR Smith is a waste of talent and Linus was an up and coming player before he had to play along with Melo for 82 games/

JR shot his best percentages while playing with Melo in Denver. (44% from field 38% from 3) During his first stint at starting in 06, He averaged 18pts a game becoming a 1-2 punch with Melo , helping lead them to winning record. Also if you say Lebron made Daniel Gibson, then certainly Melo helped Kleiza.

Sssmush
05-06-2012, 10:54 PM
I don't know if you know but in a draft you pick one player at a time lol. Im amused at the fact that you have Pao in your top 10 over Melo...who in Memphis failed to win more than 1 or 2 games and is now the third option on the Lakers (sad pick).

Im talking about current players and because they are old it makes players like Duncan and Nash and Nowitizki hard to pick bc you would want to build around your star player.

I don't know where you got your Basketball PHD from but I would never pick Melo after Pau or Pierce or Bynum right now to build around...your response is a joke Im sorry. All your reserves are too old, too young and BLAKE GRIFFIN over MELO? He wouldn't make the playoff without CP3.

Lord! Some of you PSD guys make me laugh!

LoL

if Blake Griffin were on the Knicks, he'd be BY FAR the biggest basketball star that New York has seen in years, maybe decades.

Right now he is in LOS ANGELES and he is a monster sensation. The guy is like as athletic as Jordan or something, simply incredible.

I mean, fine, if you like to watch Carmelo more than Griffin, fine, go ahead.

TeamSeattle
05-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Melo is probly one of the best scorer in the league but if by superstar your saying top 5; then no that's not what he is. I would say he's top 10 in the east for players though.

Sssmush
05-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Melo is probly one of the best scorer in the league but if by superstar your saying top 5; then no that's not what he is. I would say he's top 10 in the east for players though.

I mean, that's more reasonable. When he really gets it going on offense it's a beautiful thing to behold. The pressure of the hype in NY seems to be making him more petulant and broody though and he hasn't really been "super" this year at all, despite the avalanche of media coverage. He should just retool for next year and put in a few really solid seasons and then we'll talk.

KnickaBocka.44
05-06-2012, 11:42 PM
What some people forget is how prolific Melo is in the 4th quarter. Today was a perfect example of what he can do for a team single handedly. Guys like Griffin and Dwight are not very valuable in the 4th quarter because they are such horrible free throw shooters that other teams can just foul them.

Melo still needs to learn when and when not to take over games and play true team ball but he is showing more heart on D and making plays for others at time also. I think next year will be a big year for Melo and the Knicks.

NJBASEBALL22
05-06-2012, 11:48 PM

The funny thing is, KD takes about the same amount of shots at the rim, and from 3-9, and 10-15 and shoots better from every area.

If you want Durant's game, it is easy to see that he can play in every style of offense... he can be a slasher, a cutter, a shooter, a ball handler, high-post, mid-post, fast break, iso. Melo needs the ball in his hand, he isn't a pure spot-up shooter, he needs to hold the ball to be effective, and isn't as good of a finisher as Durant... despite what the common perception is.

Melo needs a certain style of offense built around him and struggles with other scorers on the floor (ie... Amare, AI, Lin) He needs a PG that can set it up from the top like a Jason Kidd, Andre Miller type, he needs a defensive, rebounding center like Tyson, another offensive rebounder, and a couple more defenders that won't really challenge him for ball on O.